0674: "Natural Parenting"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GBog

Re: "Natural Parenting" Discussion

Postby GBog » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am UTC

ouin wrote:They disassembled it and re-assemble it I guess.
With the extra-part, they've made the second one..

You mean it's...
Banach-Baby?
Last edited by GBog on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am UTC

The alt text really made this comic.
~= scwizard =~

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 am UTC

mnvdk wrote:
mrbaggins wrote:I don't think he means between "guys he knew" like his two mates Bill and Steve hooking up, but rather his two mates hooking up with other girls.

And I don't think he meant it seriously... sarcasm, dude?

You are correct, it was an attempt at humour. MrBaggins, I apologise for misleading you, but thank you for the explanation anyway. :)
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

hallux

Persistance?

Postby hallux » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 am UTC

Will the children be featured in future comics? Congrats to... um... boy stick-figure and girl stick-figure... (is that Megan? I thought they broke up...) what are their names? Surely not Zero and One... although that would make sense... oh and hey! Now they can sort out that bug with voice recognition having problems with young voices!

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 am UTC

NorthLondon wrote:I like how in Panel 2 the baby looks like he's about to go off on some fantastic exploring game. Look at his poise - he's going exploring!

And then look at me, assuming baby number one is male.

Gender typecasting aside, s/he is probably looking towards the future, where s/he sees the second baby. But it's hard to communicate that fact when all the words you know are 'Baby!'.

It must have gone something like this: The Baby mentions the Baby to come (panel 1), then pointedly stares at her or his mother's womb (displaying an amazing feat of self-taught anatomy and biology) (panel 2), whereupon it verifies the success of its proceedings (like any good scientist) (panel 3). Panel 4 shows the dejected, disilliusioned elder child without hope for humanity, glaring at her or his father's groin for not using contraceptives when it mattered (for obviously, the father's brain is not situated between his ears).

hyperion2010

Postby hyperion2010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Natural selection as sampling bias. I loled.

RemTar

Postby RemTar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

toshiro wrote:
NorthLondon wrote:I like how in Panel 2 the baby looks like he's about to go off on some fantastic exploring game. Look at his poise - he's going exploring!

And then look at me, assuming baby number one is male.

Gender typecasting aside, s/he is probably looking towards the future, where s/he sees the second baby. But it's hard to communicate that fact when all the words you know are 'Baby!'.

It must have gone something like this: The Baby mentions the Baby to come (panel 1), then pointedly stares at her or his mother's womb (displaying an amazing feat of self-taught anatomy and biology) (panel 2), whereupon it verifies the success of its proceedings (like any good scientist) (panel 3). Panel 4 shows the dejected, disilliusioned elder child without hope for humanity, glaring at her or his father's groin for not using contraceptives when it mattered (for obviously, the father's brain is not situated between his ears).

Wait, What?

Anyway, LOL.
<something clever>

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Is it just me or does this comic also contain a terribad pun (besides the "mother of sampling bias" one)?
"Do what comes naturally"

holyyakker

Postby holyyakker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

whitelotus wrote:As a "soon-to-be" daddy ... I have received :

"The Baby Owner Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on First-Year Maintenance"

You can see it as the "Missing Manual" for Babies ...

I quote: "Through step-by-step instructions and helpful schematic diagrams, The Baby Owner’s Manual explores the common concerns of every first-time parent: What’s the best way to swaddle a baby? How can I make my newborn sleep through the night? When should I bring the baby to a doctor for servicing? Whatever your question, you’ll find the answer here—courtesy of celebrated pediatrician Dr. Louis Borgenicht and his son, Joe Borgenicht. Together, they provide plenty of useful advice for anyone who wants to learn the basics of childcare."

Highly recommended as a gift for any D.A.D. to be ...

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Owners-Manua ... 046&sr=8-1

So I don't usually post here, but I came here today because my wife gave birth yesterday and we both roared at this comic. I can also vouch for the "Baby Owner's Manual" it is by far one of the most interesting baby books I've read. My wife was amazed because I would actually sit down and read it. The material is organized and presented in a clear and amusing manner. All the nurse here who have seen it have had a laugh.
7, 8, 9 - the punchline to the worst joke ever.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

I think this is the first time I've seen the anthropic principal applied at the individual level instead of species wide.

faye159

Postby faye159 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

the baby's so cute =D especially in the second panel...

Vegan Pirate

Postby Vegan Pirate » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

cprocjr wrote:My question: How long is the gestation period of stick figures? Because in the first panel they only realized they had made a baby when it was already out! And in the last panel it says "soon", and the normal 9 months gestation period really isn't that soon!

Well a stick-child can be gestated and grow in 90 seconds according my extensive research
http://xkcd.com/57/
As the first child is still pretty lil, i'd conclude that soon is indeed, soon. Quite soon.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

My baby spent a lot of time in a top with the slogan "v2.0".

Liked this comic lots. That really is how parenting goes sometimes nearly all the time.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

steek

Postby steek » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

It's natural because the more you have, the more likely one is to survive.

Also, how intentional was the pun "mother of all sampling bias"

Edit I didn't have enough time to read the entire thread before posting, so i apologize for reposting the pun comment, though the question still stands.

SHISHKABOB

Postby SHISHKABOB » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

"has managed to figured it out"
The hell, man.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Baby #1 is clearly highly evolved; it can say "Baby!" from the moment it is born, and based on its poses in the first 3 panels, it's acting like it has figured out everything about everything around it.

That must sound crazy, but... just look at it, I dunno.

SHISHKABOB wrote:"has managed to figured it out"
The hell, man.

Actually, that's correct grammar in this case. "Every single one of my ancestors" would use "has" instead of "have," because of the "every single one" part. It refers to multiple ancestors, but only one at a time, thus it's pseudo-singular. If the alt-text had been "All of my ancestors," then it would be correct to use "have" and not "has."

Welcome to the fora, by the way.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

I would like to point out for the record that this is exactly how it works.

I have two children and both were conceived while my wife was taking birth control pills.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Spoe

Postby Spoe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Title text: On one hand, every single one of my ancestors going back billions of years has managed to figured it out. On the other hand, that's the mother of all sampling biases.

On the gripping hand, that's natural selection for you.

chanakrogue

Postby chanakrogue » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:I would like to point out for the record that this is exactly how it works.

I have two children and both were conceived while my wife was taking birth control pills.

Does that still qualify as "natural" birth? There's something supernatural about that...
I don't want my wife to use the pill.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

chanakrogue wrote:
neoliminal wrote:I would like to point out for the record that this is exactly how it works.

Does that still qualify as "natural" birth? There's something supernatural about that...
I don't want my wife to use the pill.

If you believe in statistics, then we had a .01 x .01 chance of it happening. Hell, I've seen TWO Royal Flush hands in live texas hold-ems. The odds of that are remarkably more interesting than having children while on birth control.
[hint, scary!]

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Xutar wrote:Is it just me or does this comic also contain a terribad pun (besides the "mother of sampling bias" one)?
"Do what comes naturally"

Doin What Comes Naturally From Annie Get Your Gun?
Yeah, that was my first thought.

oh, and Baby!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

The baby is of course not a Pokémon. It is pre-born because the parents experimented with spice during pregnancy.

(I haven't even watched Dune. Yesterday I was searching for my acquaintance Chani's blog and came across this Wikipedia entry and then read from there.)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

xmillion wrote:Whatever they are doing, it must be working, as both babies already are (and still are) standing on their feet.

Maybe, as others have hinted, stick-figure humans have a somewhat different reproductive process than we meaty humans. Not only do they have a much shorter gestation period, which is reasonable since they don't need to grow all of that bulky, massive body. Also, their young are able to stand up and talk soon after birth. Sorta like the ungulates, maybe. Newborn calves, fawns, etc. are up and walking within minutes of birth, and are able to follow their mother around. In a few days, they're running around. This is probably an adaptation for getting away from predators. We might wonder what predators stick-figure humans have that make such rapid development necessary.

Dudely

Postby Dudely » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

s0merand0mdude wrote:Get out of my life, Randall?

My nephew was born this morning, so a baby-themed comic is...fitting, I guess.

I've one better- me and my wife are young, geeky computer programmers. She is 22 weeks pregnant.

Let's just say it hit pretty close to home.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

jc wrote:
xmillion wrote:Whatever they are doing, it must be working, as both babies already are (and still are) standing on their feet.

Maybe, as others have hinted, stick-figure humans have a somewhat different reproductive process than we meaty humans. Not only do they have a much shorter gestation period, which is reasonable since they don't need to grow all of that bulky, massive body. Also, their young are able to stand up and talk soon after birth. Sorta like the ungulates, maybe. Newborn calves, fawns, etc. are up and walking within minutes of birth, and are able to follow their mother around. In a few days, they're running around. This is probably an adaptation for getting away from predators. We might wonder what predators stick-figure humans have that make such rapid development necessary.

you have to ask? Raptors
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

nelsonb

Was this a birth announcement?

Postby nelsonb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Was this our favorite cartoonist's way of announcing the birth of a child?

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
jc wrote:

you have to ask? Raptors

In a universe where Black Hat Guy lives? The Raptors are much less of a worry....

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

whitelotus wrote:Advice on First-Year Maintenance"
When should I bring the baby to a doctor for servicing?

I like the language.

scwizard wrote:The alt text really made this comic.

Agreed.

Kratos Aurion

Postby Kratos Aurion » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Baby #1 is clearly highly evolved; it can say "Baby!" from the moment it is born, and based on its poses in the first 3 panels, it's acting like it has figured out everything about everything around it.

That must sound crazy, but... just look at it, I dunno.

SHISHKABOB wrote:"has managed to figured it out"
The hell, man.

Actually, that's correct grammar in this case. "Every single one of my ancestors" would use "has" instead of "have," because of the "every single one" part. It refers to multiple ancestors, but only one at a time, thus it's pseudo-singular. If the alt-text had been "All of my ancestors," then it would be correct to use "have" and not "has."

Welcome to the fora, by the way.

Nooo, the problem was with "figured", it should be "figure". If it was ever "figured" on the comic though, it's been fix'd, as it's currently "figure".

Also, Randall, get out of my head, I was thinking about babies about a week ago when I saw a baby.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

She has to take each birth control pill in their proper order. It doesn't work if you only take every fourth one (or only claim to have taken them).

Edit: fixed typo
Last edited by dennisw on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

dennisw wrote:

She has to take each birth control pill in their proper order. I [sic] doesn't work if you only take every fourth one (or only claim to have taken them).

Wait, exactly how do you know my wife?
[hint, scary!]

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Kratos Aurion wrote:Nooo, the problem was with "figured", it should be "figure". If it was ever "figured" on the comic though, it's been fix'd, as it's currently "figure".

It was fixed.

Also, Randall, get out of my head, I was thinking about babies about a week ago when I saw a baby.

LOL.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

How come it took 49 posts for someone to finally point out the awesome awful awesome pun in the alt-text?

drewster1829

Postby drewster1829 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

I lol'ed. Also, Randall, get out of my head...I was just having this conversation yesterday! :P
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

ghotiful

Postby ghotiful » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Kratos Aurion wrote:Nooo, the problem was with "figured", it should be "figure". If it was ever "figured" on the comic though, it's been fix'd, as it's currently "figure".

Well, seeing how quickly she gets her figure back after each birth, some tense confusion is only natural.

DragonStargazer

Postby DragonStargazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Is it just me, or is the baby so very incredibly cute, despite the fact that it's a stick figure?

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:02 am UTC

DragonStargazer wrote:Is it just me, or is the baby so very incredibly cute, despite the fact that it's a stick figure?

So true! So very cute I almost want to go do what comes naturally and procreate some more ... almost.

Having 3 grown kids, 1 of whom is newly married, I am expecting that within the next few years there will be grand-babies. I only hope they are as cute as this baby.

I am so happy that none of my children have misshaped heads; thinking of the block-headed people I know and their obnoxious children.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:
dennisw wrote:

She has to take each birth control pill in their proper order. I [sic] doesn't work if you only take every fourth one (or only claim to have taken them).

Wait, exactly how do you know my wife?

Wait, I thought we were talking about your mom.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:07 am UTC

XbHW_TestEngr: Nice pun there.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Geogriffith wrote:Dammit Randall, get out of Mark Twain's head!

Also available in freaky claymation!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”