0676: "Abstraction"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kaimason1
WINNING

0676: "Abstraction"

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 am UTC

"If I'm such a god, why isn't Maru *my* cat?"

Now I see how many processes are really involved in looking at - YOU'RE A KITTY!!!
Last edited by kaimason1 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

10nitro

Re: "Abstraction" Discussion

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Randy didn't get a Mac, did he?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Is Randall referring to a specific video? I haven't seen one that matches that description.
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

Nasaniaru

Postby Nasaniaru » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:05 am UTC

It may be because I've just finished watching Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann but this comic reminds me very much of the titular mecha. It's run by a main character in a very small robot within a larger robot within a larger robot and powered with outrageous amounts of will and persistance. Although its task is something far less mundane but I can't help but draw the parrallel.
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!

Kimmeh

Postby Kimmeh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:06 am UTC

s0merand0mdude wrote:Is Randall referring to a specific video? I haven't seen one that matches that description.

I think he's just talking about one of the trillion viral cute animal clips. They're everywhere.

Comic was amusing, but didn't really burn my cheese...

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:06 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Randy didn't get a Mac, did he?

Yep, and it appears he uses firefox. Personally, I am one of the few people who actually *likes* Vista and I also love Chrome.

Also, it appears the forums actually warned me about being ninja'd. Is this new, or do I spend too much time on forum games?
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:10 am UTC

This comic makes me feel I might take the things my computer can do for granted...

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 am UTC

Then said god went to create a comic for our amusement, fellow xkcders, we are gods above god.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Okay, my turn...you. Randall. Head. Out. Now.

Seriously, ever since the QC "wireless internet" strip, I've been thinking about the physical principles of all the things around us...waves, everywhere I could go, right now, containing access info that could get me roughly anywhere in the world through an unfathomable number of minuscule junctions in doped silicon, through which is coursing an energy that even an idiot today understands better than you could ever hope to explain it to Issac Newton, triggering chemical processes that create millions of microscopic dots of light that form the information in typed English, all but perfectly.

Every now and then I wonder what it would be like to try to explain the computer, bottom to top, to (Plato's portrait of) Socrates.

xpsmiley

Postby xpsmiley » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:14 am UTC

I believe he was talking about this cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhLQCYQ-nQ

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 am UTC

kaimason1 wrote:
Yep, and it appears he uses firefox. Personally, I am one of the few people who actually *likes* Vista and I also love Chrome.

... but he's all about free culture/software. Anyway, I guess we knew he used Mac OS X, but I always painted him a a Debian guy. I found Vista to be a huge resource hog, and remarkably unstable (I was forced to use it on my lappy during spring last year). But besides that, it's proprietary software, and therefore, evil.

kaimason1 wrote:Also, it appears the forums actually warned me about being ninja'd. Is this new, or do I spend too much time on forum games?

It's always done that.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 am UTC

A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

cprocjr

Postby cprocjr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Interesting comic, but not very funny. I don't think it was really supposed to be funny though. I don't stop very often to think about how much work my computer is doing just to show me a small video.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 am UTC

What's amazing is how many comments are on youtube already as opposed to here. I wonder if the average xkcd'er comment on youtube will be more intelligent than normal.

hbsmiley7

Postby hbsmiley7 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 am UTC

Please computer, I never meant to take you for granted!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 am UTC

I actually don't mind Vista (the professional edition, at least). I haven't had an encounter with the BSoD yet, so I suppose that's the advantage over XP.

I don't use IE or MF; most viruses/spyware are designed for those two. Of course, the adorable kitty videos might not be designed for my browser, Opera, but that's the price of not worrying about annoying malware.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:25 am UTC

After reading the comic I felt like doing something nice for my computer...

Also, Randall's telepathy is starting to freak me out: Today, my mom used a disassembled box (is that the term? when it's open on both sides so you can fold it) to trap our cat, who jumped right out of it...
Also, at some point of today or yesterday I thought how Japanese cat's from anime, clocks, and stuff don't look at all like regular cat's (you know, they are....rounder, like the one in the video, at least cat's here are different)

GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT
Last edited by -.Mateo.- on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

j0ecool

Postby j0ecool » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Randall, head, out.

Was just explaining to a friend how computers be crazy like this, like, less than an hour ago.
Then again, ever since I started taking Computer Organization, I've been doing that fairly frequently...

Also, did we mean x86?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:30 am UTC

hbsmiley7 wrote:Please computer, I never meant to take you for granted!

I know. I sometimes step back and look at, well, everything I use. Just imagine all the effort you would exert just to make 1 sheet of paper, yet minimum wage pays the equivalent of 500 sheets an hour. I can earn enough in a year for a decent car, but I probably would never be able to build one from scratch, not including mining the iron, making the plastic, harvesting the leather, etc.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:31 am UTC

GTFO my head. I was just thinking about this a few hours ago. Such a simple invention the transistor is, that it probably seemed little more than a curiosity at the time, and now it's the basis of one of the most important technologies in the world. All just simple logic circuits multiplied a few billion times, based on this "hey, I can make a switch that's turned on/off by electric current". How many billion transistors do you have in your home? In your room? Strapped to your wrist?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:35 am UTC

The comic might also be a reference to an extremely popular google search recently:
Certainly that was why I got into programming.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

valbaca

Postby valbaca » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:40 am UTC

Also, did we mean x86?

Nearly every Mac sold in the last 3 years has had a 64-bit capable processor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2
"x86-64" may have been more accurate, but the shortened "x64" is acceptable.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Oh my god, I just took my final for CS61C in Berkeley, the class where you learn about instruction set architectures and ALUs and all that. I definitely am a lot more afraid to touch my computer now. It's doing so much, I might hurt it!

aldld

Postby aldld » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:41 am UTC

This makes me feel like I don't appreciate my computer enough.

Maybe I'll get it a little gift for Christmas.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:45 am UTC

So hands up: How many people read the strip and thought something like, "Man, that's an awful lot of layering for something so mundane. No wonder we need such powerful computers these days. I wonder how much simpler we could make it and still be secure and stable."

Admittedly it's something of an obsession of mine in general, but still.

10nitro wrote:
kaimason1 wrote:Also, it appears the forums actually warned me about being ninja'd. Is this new, or do I spend too much time on forum games?

It's always done that.

Correction: It's done that since the upgrade to PHPBB3 in, what, late 2007?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:54 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Okay, my turn...you. Randall. Head. Out. Now.

Seriously, ever since the QC "wireless internet" strip, I've been thinking about the physical principles of all the things around us...waves, everywhere I could go, right now, containing access info that could get me roughly anywhere in the world through an unfathomable number of minuscule junctions in doped silicon, through which is coursing an energy that even an idiot today understands better than you could ever hope to explain it to Issac Newton, triggering chemical processes that create millions of microscopic dots of light that form the information in typed English, all but perfectly.

Every now and then I wonder what it would be like to try to explain the computer, bottom to top, to (Plato's portrait of) Socrates.

This strip?

What's amazing is that, with technology, we can be like gods over the lowly perfectly good people who don't understand technology.

finity

Postby finity » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:07 am UTC

It's good to be a geek. Other people don't think this way.

Hitaro0

Postby Hitaro0 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 am UTC

I think I almost cried, rereading it and figuring out the comic.

Thanks for that.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 am UTC

I am surprised at how many people are saying they didn't really care for this comic. I thought it was one of the better ones, at least since 671 (Stephen and Me).

Oh, and Randall did get a new Mac. You all should really add the xkcd blag to your Google Reader list.

Randall's blag wrote:I posted a while back about getting an x200s laptop. A big part of my decision was based on its durability — reviews touted the roll cage and carbon-fiber composite casing. Sadly, it doesn’t seem to hold up very well in my daily use. The case has cracked in five or six places, and some of these breaks have warped the frame. It also just feels flimsy. The related computers in the line (the x301, the x200, etc) are reportedly a lot sturdier.
Long and boring story short, I decided to repair and resell it, and use the money to get a 13-inch Macbook Pro. It’s significantly heavier than the x200s, but I have a Droid now (which I quite like) and it’s helped remove a lot of my need for an ultraportable laptop. I’ve been using an OS X desktop (a Mac Mini) as my main desktop machine for a couple years now, and I’m tired of rebooting my laptop to Windows when traveling to get to Photoshop (Wine et. al. don’t quite cut it). The things I use Linux for (programming and playing with random toys/projects) are, on the other hand, easily done in VMs. So for me, an OS X laptop seems like a logical choice, and so far I’ve been largely happy with it.

I love the multitouch trackpad (I’ve installed jitouch to expand the set of available gestures), and VMs seem to run nicely. Supposedly the battery’s lifespan is much improved from the old 250 cycles. If not, expect a post in about a year and a half about me blowing up my apartment while attempting to replace the battery with an off-brand one. I may die, but at least I’ll prove the TSA wrong. This laptop has the bonus of being more powerful than my old desktop, which I can now resell to another friend (making the laptop my primary computer), and actually come out ahead on this whole affair.

Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Maru is cuter than my friend Catherine, but not nearly as deadly.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Jonathanvt

Postby Jonathanvt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Weak reference to Mac Flash wasting billions too many of those cycles? 250% CPU to play 1080p on YouTube, whereas another player (without hardware acceleration) uses under 75%.

BigglesPiP

Postby BigglesPiP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:05 am UTC

I like how this comic is now a sort of youtube bomb.

Randall; do you realise that you control the world's largest biological botnet?

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 am UTC

demadaha wrote:Then said god went to create a comic for our amusement, fellow xkcders, we are gods above god.

My personal theory is that we are all gods, that every thought we create becomes a new universe. Those who exercise their imaginations regularly are the most powerful gods.

kaimason1 wrote:

I like my Vista laptop and feel bad for it when people diss it for issues that almost exclusively happened in the first month of launch or to dunderheads who didn't upgrade their computer AND the OS. If I could get a $450 laptop that does just fine, then they could too. The file system is vastly improved over XP, for one thing among many. I don't use Chrome though. I have it installed, but it's too stripped down for my tastes. For now I use Firefox despite the bits of bugginess and poor decisions since 3.5 (how in the hell was scrolling though tabs with the arrow keys a BUG?! Give it baaaaaack... Of course, Chrome and Opera have never had that feature, so it's still a notch in favor of Firefox.)

10nitro wrote: Anyway, I guess we knew he used Mac OS X, but I always painted him a a Debian guy. I found Vista to be a huge resource hog, and remarkably unstable (I was forced to use it on my lappy during spring last year). But besides that, it's proprietary software, and therefore, evil.

His laptop is a Mac, but I believe his desktop is still Linux. And you Illustrate my above point precisely: Vista is NOT a resource hog, it just doesn't let unused resources go to waste. When I turn on other programs, the OS relinquishes the resources.Same with the instability: I can't speak to what you were doing, but I regularly have my laptop on or asleep for weeks on end, with multiple programs on at any given time (and not solitaire either). It's far more stable than the 3 XP computers I've used. Old myths, debunked a long time ago, but people still believe them and perceive only what backs up their preconceptions.

CorruptUser wrote:I actually don't mind Vista (the professional edition, at least). I haven't had an encounter with the BSoD yet, so I suppose that's the advantage over XP.
I don't use IE or MF; most viruses/spyware are designed for those two. Of course, the adorable kitty videos might not be designed for my browser, Opera, but that's the price of not worrying about annoying malware.

I use Home. And I have Opera installed as well, and even tried it out for a week, but the interface was just not intuitive for me, and the tab system is completely stupid. Avast and simple common sense keep me clear of viruses.

j0ecool wrote:Randall, head, out.

Is this going to be the new expression, instead of saying the whole phrase?

Jonathanvt wrote:Weak reference to Mac Flash wasting billions too many of those cycles? 250% CPU to play 1080p on YouTube, whereas another player (without hardware acceleration) uses under 75%.

Wait, a Mac NOT being utterly and smugly superior at something? Gasp *sarcasm* :wink: But I seriously say this as I currently have 30 tabs of youtube videos open and 30 or 40 from other video sites.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 am UTC

yes he did, check the blag

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:16 am UTC

"We have met the enemy and he is ourselves" I forgot who said that, but
We have met God and and we are He?
Or is this what Michael meant when he finally grokked us and said thou art God?
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Innocent

Postby Innocent » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:15 am UTC

Flash on OSX under Gecko sucks though. :\

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:What's amazing is how many comments are on youtube already as opposed to here. I wonder if the average xkcd'er comment on youtube will be more intelligent than normal.

No.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

westrim wrote:Of course, Chrome and Opera have never had that feature, so it's still a notch in favor of Firefox.

I just went to the options menu in Opera, went to the Keyboard settings and made a keybind for left and right to switch between tabs.

On a less browser warsy topic (read: The comic), straining itself to run Gecko? Ha! I knew Gecko sucked! Wait, that was still kind of browser warsy.

justingerard

Postby justingerard » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

....Because i wanted to see two naked people doing the retrograde wheelbarrow.
Would have made the comic better.

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:So hands up: How many people read the strip and thought something like, "Man, that's an awful lot of layering ... I wonder how much simpler we could make it and still be secure and stable."

Hand firmly down for me. Without the layering, you'd eventually get to the point where you had an entire machine architecture dedicated to the goal of watching cat videos. (shudder!) While they'd probably be a perfectly secure and more stable, can you imagine if you had to design, market, build, and ship individual devices for each information processing task?

It's interesting to draw a contrast to the typical (? US-American?) kitchen. There is a little bit of integration... range and oven are typically combined; refrigerator and freezer almost always so. But then you add a sink, a dishwasher, microwave (ours integrates a convection oven), toaster, can opener, coffee maker. If you get into cooking, you might add a blender, stand mixer, food processor... all slight variations on the same tool.

On the other hand, each of those devices typically does its job without fail for years (except our dishwasher which is absolute garbage, but that's more of the exception that proves the rule).

Few kitchen appliances have the sufficient versatility to be bought for ostensibly noble purposes -- like when you thought you got the computer for schoolwork or handling your home finances -- and then to be subverted for questionable activities like watching cat videos (or typing this post).

(Those of you who have subverted kitchen appliances for questionable activities, well, don't be too sure we want to know!)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”