0684: "We Get It"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NorthLondon

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby NorthLondon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:40 am UTC

You get a similar thing right after a long-term couple gets married.

There's two options. Either, they climb on the step-ladder and scream it. "MY HUSBAND and I are going to the Supermarket!" Or they get all coy and shy about the fact that they are married, and find it weird to call the person (who was for so long their boyfriend/girlfriend) their husband/wife.

mbogot

Postby mbogot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 am UTC

baralong wrote:Well I saw Avatar with
my kids and my girlfriend
and quite liked it, except it was a little more violent than I thought it would be, based on the rating. I probably wouldn't have taken my kids (aged 12) if I'd seen it first, still I don't think it harmed them.

I've been that guy, the trouble is that you aren't really aware you are doing it, as he says "what phase?"

I saw Avatar last week with
My wife

But I don't think I'm that guy.

...Am I?

Alzhaid

Postby Alzhaid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 am UTC

I don't mind if somebody does this, for some time (maybe the week the guy says in the comic?). After all I understand they feel very happy about they new status :wink:

In the past I found very useful when a girl used the "my boyfriend" when I was flirting with her, like this:
Me: so, since I feel we have connected, what about going tomorrow to cinema, I don't know, to see Avatar for example?
She: well, I already saw it with my boyfriend, but we could go again, I love to see bad movies.
Me: [changing his mind into friend-mode] haha, nice, so let's go. We can invite more people...

I appreciated that even when they used the "my boyfriend" a little out of context: it's a very polite way to tell you that nothing will happen apart from becoming friends :)

sanguine

Postby sanguine » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:23 am UTC

A guy asked me if I wanted to watch it with him. But I already had other plans. But then, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway - neither guy nor movie were that good a reason.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

tieftonsklave

Postby tieftonsklave » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 am UTC

This is sincerely scary 0_o
Guess who went to the cinema last night to watch Avatar* with a date who most probably will end up being the ominous girlfriend. And seriously, man, he's one and a half continents away from me... (Randall, I mean)
Well, good luck all the singles, all the spoken-fors, all the in-betweens (which probably is worst of the 3) *goes looking for a stepladder for later today when he sees his friends xD*
Thank you XKCD^^

*(on a side note: the 2nd of 3 times, will go again tonight with a friend and went last week with another friend)

muzzle

Postby muzzle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:25 am UTC

dances with wolves + matrix = avatar

Btw, if you liked Matrix give Nirvana (http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/?s=Nirvana) a shot.

NorthLondon

Postby NorthLondon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Alzhaid wrote:... In the past I found very useful when a girl used the "my boyfriend" when I was flirting with her, like this:
Me: so, since I feel we have connected, what about going tomorrow to cinema, I don't know, to see Avatar for example?
She: well, I already saw it with my boyfriend, but we could go again, I love to see bad movies.
Me: [changing his mind into friend-mode] haha, nice, so let's go. We can invite more people...

I appreciated that even when they used the "my boyfriend" a little out of context: it's a very polite way to tell you that nothing will happen apart from becoming friends :)

Sometimes the opposite can happen though.

Scenario: Persons X and Y are chatting but not flirting. Person X casually (and not for the above reasons) mentions their spouse. Person Y suddenly thinks, "Oh gosh, Person X thinks I am flirting with them, and has slipped into the conversation a supposedly-subtle reference to their spouse to indicate their non-availability." Person Y then quickly ends the conversation in embarrassment, but not because they were actually flirting. Person X then reflects on the strange end to the conversation, and thinks it must have been because Person Y was flirting.

I'm not sure how to resolve it though, because Alzhaid's reasoning works beautifully.

spoonyspork

Postby spoonyspork » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

muzzle wrote:dances with wolves + matrix + FernGully + Acid = avatar

Btw, if you liked Matrix give Nirvana (http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/?s=Nirvana) a shot.

ftfy

Even worse than "MY GIRLFRIEND" is "MY FIANCÉ" followed by shoving the ring in your face. Even for people already happily married. >.<

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

I would be that guy who goes around talking about my girlfriend if only I had ever had a girlfriend...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

>We Get It
>WGI
>WG

tim314

Postby tim314 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Wait, what's the rule here? Any mention of having a girlfriend is taboo, or only if your voice actually gets louder when you say it?

I mean, if I said "Avatar? I saw it last week with my brother." no one would object, right? If not, then surely "I saw it last week with my girlfriend" is equally legitimate, right?

Am I also supposed to avoid saying stuff like "I spent the holidays visiting my mother" just in case you happen to be an orphan?

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

Huh... I went and saw it alone... Disturbed me a bit, as I don't go to the movies much anymore, and used to always go with a so, but it was worth it.

Really, I don't think Avatar is going to be that great when it comes out on dvd/tv (where I normally see movies) the plot is just standard (you know from the very beginning the entire storyline, no twists or turns whatsoever), what made it incredible was the 3d IMAX and the graphics, which just won't be there at home.

Now I feel like making a CL post to see if anyone else in this area read todays xkcd and wants to go see it again... But my local cl is pretty bad usually.

As an aside, did anyone else feel it looked sort of like a combination of Teldrassil and Zangarmarsh? While The People are obviously a Night Elf/Draenai combination?

Just me?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

cyberblade wrote:As an aside, did anyone else feel it looked sort of like a combination of Teldrassil and Zangarmarsh? While The People are obviously a Night Elf/Draenai combination?

Just me?

I felt the Na'Vi were more like the Iskai from the game Albion. The basic plot of the game is that an evil megacorporation is heading to a jungle planet to mine everything, destroying most of the planet, leaving it up to a young soldier to stop them...

floreal

Postby floreal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

tim314 wrote:Wait, what's the rule here? Any mention of having a girlfriend is taboo, or only if your voice actually gets louder when you say it?

I mean, if I said "Avatar? I saw it last week with my brother." no one would object, right? If not, then surely "I saw it last week with my girlfriend" is equally legitimate, right?

Am I also supposed to avoid saying stuff like "I spent the holidays visiting my mother" just in case you happen to be an orphan?

its if they KEEP saying it, or raises the voice... or both...
like if im talking to a friend
"wanna go see avatar?"
"nah i saw it last week with my girlfriend"
"did you like it?"
"it was ok"
"wanna see it again?"
"nah i told you i saw it with my girlfriend"
"yeah but you could watch it again, we could invite *insert names here* aswell"
"nah i think its ok to have watched it once.... with my girlfriend"

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

sanguine wrote:A guy asked me if I wanted to watch it with him. But I already had other plans. But then, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway - neither guy nor movie were that good a reason.

You mean, you're a woman who doesn't care for a movie with the same pacing (and director) as Titanic? You wouldn't want to see a sappy love story about two people from (literally) different worlds? You wouldn't date a guy simply because society told you too?

I think I'm in love.

Well, not really, but kudos.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

rwald wrote: "Hey guys" became synonymous with boasting about having a significant other. You all should spread this meme now.

Hey guys, about rwald's mom...
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

speqter

Postby speqter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

cyberblade wrote:As an aside, did anyone else feel it looked sort of like a combination of Teldrassil and Zangarmarsh? While The People are obviously a Night Elf/Draenai combination?
Just me?

*raises hand*
Nagrand and Sholazar Basin too!

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Just me?

I felt the Na'Vi were more like the Iskai from the game Albion. The basic plot of the game is that an evil megacorporation is heading to a jungle planet to mine everything, destroying most of the planet, leaving it up to a young soldier to stop them...

Hmm, well, yeah-the plot is way overused... I don't know that game though to know whether it looked like that, very possible though.

speqter wrote:
Just me?

*raises hand*
Nagrand and Sholazar Basin too!

Huh, well, yeah, the floating mountains were similar to Nagrand, though the coloration was different... I didn't see the similarity to Sholazar Basin/Un'Goro Crater though. Maybe some of the plant life? Similar to the Emerald Dragonshrine maybe?

But yeah, really thought I was just living in wow through it all... And wondering why we can't cross NE/Draenai in game to get that same look...

sirkumi

Postby sirkumi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
cleverdan wrote:
HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I saw Avatar just today. What a terrible movie. It's like one big, giant Hollywood cliche. At least it was pretty.

Anyway, yeah, I saw it by myself. . . and there's nothing wrong with that!

It was twice as fun when I went with

MY GIRLFRIEND.
And it was four times as fun with

YOUR MOM.

(sorry, it had to be done)

That's what SHE said!!!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

I remember when I got married the first time. I was all over the place with "this is my WIFE". This was mostly because we were in an open relationship to that point. I was making it clear that this represented an end to that particular clause and that these other males should back the heck up. When I introduced her to women, however, I always said "This is Cathy*". See I didn't mind the part where she slept with women.

In my second and current marriage I just say "This is Alexa*." That way there's no problem with who she sleeps with. *shrug*

Haven't seen Avatar yet. I have kids... plus those 3-D glasses scare me.

*(name changed to protect, me?)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

msqrt

Postby msqrt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Avatar? Yeah, I saw it last week with... ...my sister.

Itsnotinmyidiom

Postby Itsnotinmyidiom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

cyberblade wrote:
As an aside, did anyone else feel it looked sort of like a combination of Teldrassil and Zangarmarsh? While The People are obviously a Night Elf/Draenai combination?

Just me?

Haha, I couldn't stop thinking that. Then again, I was bored by the actual plot far before the graphics stopped being entertaining. I also agree with whoever said that they just call their boyfriend/girlfriend by name just because they generally mention such details. That way, you don't have to intentionally omit your bf/gf but don't sound particularly annoying.
I'll think of a signature eventually, I swear. It'll be funny and stuff!

Revan146

Postby Revan146 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

The guy in the last panal should've been BHG

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

msqrt wrote:Avatar? Yeah, I saw it last week with... ...my sister.
THAT'S DISGUSTING!

Revan146 wrote:The guy in the last panal should've been BHG
I imagine he's the guy in the alt. text.

I haven't gone to see avatar yet ... I'M SINGLE!

But when I'm not, I have the opposite problem from this comic, you'll be somewhere meeting interesting dudes whom you are paying attention to because they are cool people, and you find yourself concerned you may need to convey to them that you're not available...but it seems so presumptuous to just say it, like "ok dude, I know we're enjoying this discussion we're having together on the health care debate, but you need to know that you can't get attached." so I don't say anything, and then it actually comes up and it's all "Oh...you thought...oh...no...umm..sorry.."

But back on the subject of the comic, people do these things for different reasons.
Sometimes just to tell people they're taken "Oh me yarm! Don't get any ideas! I have a significant other!"
personal pride "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating someone!"
Jealousy "Oh me yarm She's mine! NOT YOURS!"
Mistrust "SHE'S MINE! And I can't trust her to tell YOU that!"
or compensating for low self esteem "Oh me yarm I'M totally dating HER, BACK OFF! She might leave me if she notices how much better than me you are!"
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:I haven't gone to see avatar yet ... I'M SINGLE!

You realize your about to get some prime number of private messages offering to take you to see Avatar, right? :roll:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Haven't seen the movie.
Don't have a GF.
I've been the guy on the ladder. **embarrassment** *hangs head in shame*
Love the comic and Title-Text. However, the ladder is at least 3 rungs too short.
(It is terribly/horribly/hysterically funny to see when one of my (nerdy) co-workers get into a relationship.)

Want to see the movie.
GF would be nice, but would take too much time to nurture/sustain the relationship.
(In other words, she [most likely] would interfere with my COD4 time.)

I might be lonely, but I can leave the seat up without consequences.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

slightlydead

Postby slightlydead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

This is the same for me except it bothers me when people say, "I went to see blah blah with MY FRIEND No friends in college ;_; /wrists

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I burned copious amounts of cheese upon reading the title text! Brilliant!
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

Shale

Postby Shale » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

I'm in the first week of a relationship, but I'm trying very hard not to be that guy. It's not always easy!

Also, I have no interest in seeing a movie when I can tell the entire plot from watching a trailer, no matter how shiny it might be.

Capt. Obvious

Postby Capt. Obvious » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:08 am UTC

I saw Avatar. Let me say that it's a singularly poor movie to watch with a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/etc. It's long, and it's 3D.

Nothing says romance like keeping your head vertical for 2.5 hours.

And, if you saw it in 2D, you missed the point. The plot was (predictably) bad, but it was interesting to see what a big budget could do in 3D.

I guess I'm replacing the "I saw Avatar with MY GIRLFRIEND" with "I saw Avatar in 3D I-MAX". My guess is it's just as annoying.

masterwizard

Postby masterwizard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am UTC

NorthLondon wrote:
Alzhaid wrote:... In the past I found very useful when a girl used the "my boyfriend" when I was flirting with her, like this:

Scenario: Persons X and Y are chatting but not flirting. Person X casually (and not for the above reasons) mentions their spouse. Person Y suddenly thinks, "Oh gosh, Person X thinks I am flirting with them, and has slipped into the conversation a supposedly-subtle reference to their spouse to indicate their non-availability." Person Y then quickly ends the conversation in embarrassment, but not because they were actually flirting. Person X then reflects on the strange end to the conversation, and thinks it must have been because Person Y was flirting.

I'm not sure how to resolve it though, because Alzhaid's reasoning works beautifully.

The solution to this problem, and the problem addressed in the comic, would for there to be a universal, but more subtle way of declaring a relationship. Like rings or something. Married people wear wedding rings, and so you can check to see if someone is wearing a wedding ring. If there was something similar to this for relationships, then you could check to see if they had one or not, and they'd never have to bring it up, and neither would you, but you'd know anyway. Obviously, you would have to make sure that if they were rings, they wouldn't be mistaken for wedding rings, but had some specific feature of which all "relationship rings" had, no idea what. And of course, you'd want them to be much much cheaper, preferably enough so that if/when they broke up they could throw out/smash the ring in their anger and it wouldn't be too big of a deal. But yeah, we need to work on this, if only for the purpose of spreading the XKCD sphere of influence.

Actually, maybe the identifying mark would be that the ring says "XKCD 684" on it, and then the person's name. WE SHOULD DO THIS! Everyone who's in a relationship make a ring for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally am not (even though I'm obviously such a genius) but yeah, dddoooo it!

Q_<

Postby Q_< » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Masterwizard -- do you remember the Claddagh ring trend? Wear it inward to show you're in a relationship and outward to show you're single? It was in when I was in high school. We could probably just revive that.

finlay

Postby finlay » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 am UTC

I remember when I got my first boyfriend he wasn't too keen on publicising the relationship at all (not being "out" to your parents is fair enough, but to people you know and trust?), so when I was among other groups I was probably overly vocal with them. I'm fairly sure I was like this at one particular party. :oops: But he never met any of these people. It was annoying, and one of the main downfalls in the relationship.

As for avatar, going to see it tomorrow with my DAD. Hmm, doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Wait, I'm confused...how else am I supposed to refer to her around people who don't actually know her?

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:01 am UTC

Faranya wrote:Wait, I'm confused...how else am I supposed to refer to her around people who don't actually know her?

Avatar? Yeah I saw it last week with... <ladder> MY STALKER! </ladder>

Uh, oh yeah: </relationship>
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

hopesdead

Postby hopesdead » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:12 am UTC

What I find annoying about this comic is not the fact that the guy had to make a big announcement that he had a girlfriend but that he has short term memory. Reminds me of 10 Second Tom from 50 First Dates.
How could you possibly think typing "import skynet" was a good thing?

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 am UTC

.cheeseofdoom. wrote:
Magic Molly wrote:
.cheeseofdoom. wrote:If any of my friends ever get a girlfriend.... oh god.

On a somewhat related (but not exactly) note, I find it ironic that some of my friends make fun of me for having a LDR, while they haven't ever had a girlfriend. I also find it very annoying, as they never shut up about it.

Ouch. The only good LDRs, in my opinion, are where you have 'fun' when you meet, and interesting discussions whenever, but still have the freedoms of being otherwise single.

On the comic, the worst is when people do this on facebook. Changing their relationship status just to get people to comment on it.

Well, I won't even be able to be with her until at least the summer of 2011, but I definitely enjoy our relationship, and I know it's worth waiting for.

However, I can't get this through anyone's thick skull, and they will never see why I want to date someone that's miles away, regardless of the fact that we're in love

Also, more on topic, I hate people who over-brag, about anything really.

I find it funny you don't see what you're doing right now...
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 am UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:
I find it funny you don't see what you're doing right now...

Oh god you're right. I'm going to leave now.

*quietly walks away*

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17 am UTC

frogman wrote:This was me for a couple days after I asked out

MY GIRLFRIEND.

Or maybe it still is. I dunno.

Darn it. I was going to do this, only make it a more subtle joke.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

floreal

Postby floreal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 am UTC

masterwizard wrote:
NorthLondon wrote:

The solution to this problem, and the problem addressed in the comic, would for there to be a universal, but more subtle way of declaring a relationship. Like rings or something. Married people wear wedding rings, and so you can check to see if someone is wearing a wedding ring. If there was something similar to this for relationships, then you could check to see if they had one or not, and they'd never have to bring it up, and neither would you, but you'd know anyway. Obviously, you would have to make sure that if they were rings, they wouldn't be mistaken for wedding rings, but had some specific feature of which all "relationship rings" had, no idea what. And of course, you'd want them to be much much cheaper, preferably enough so that if/when they broke up they could throw out/smash the ring in their anger and it wouldn't be too big of a deal. But yeah, we need to work on this, if only for the purpose of spreading the XKCD sphere of influence.

Actually, maybe the identifying mark would be that the ring says "XKCD 684" on it, and then the person's name. WE SHOULD DO THIS! Everyone who's in a relationship make a ring for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally am not (even though I'm obviously such a genius) but yeah, dddoooo it!

a much easier solution would be to buy those necklaces with a heart torn in two (one piece for each) or necklaces with the letter of the person your with.
I know a few ppl who have done that^^ never had a boyfriend myself though so cant say if it works

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”