0689: "First Design"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AlexanderRM

Re: "First Design" Discussion

Postby AlexanderRM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:10 am UTC

ajosmer wrote:Heh, I love this! Unfortunately, having already had a quiz on the rules for this year's game in robotics, I have a couple of issues to point out:
1) Nothing may intentionally detach from the robot ("intentionally" is determined by the referees, not the teams).
2) That is WAY above the height limit for the robot at ANY point in the match (60" during most of the match, and 90" during the last 20 second Finale).
3) There are no bumps or towers on the field.

I'd think that intentionally triggering the sprinkling system to short out the other robot would kinda render any precise rule measurements moot.

Also, what are those thingys in between the two robots?

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:44 am UTC

upward mounted flamethrower instead of a telescoping pole if theres a height limit?

ionine_

Postby ionine_ » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 am UTC

I found this hilarious, even though this is my first year participating in FIRST.
Also loved the Hackers reference ;)

Greetings from Team 334.

missdaisy341

FIRST Robotics

Postby missdaisy341 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Hey guys,
I'm new here, just registered so I can post this.

When I saw Friday's new comic I was ridiculously excited. I'm a high school senior totally committed to FIRST. I showed it to my whole team and they all loved it. I just thought I would drop by and commend Mr. Munroe for acknowledging such a huge part of my life. Thanks. I also think it would be awesome if he were to snag a press pass from Dean Kamen and swing by the Atlanta championships in April.

~Darren M.
FIRST Team 341
Miss Daisy
http://www.team341.com/

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 am UTC

ionine_ wrote:I found this hilarious, even though this is my first year participating in FIRST.

Greetings from Team 334.

You'll find it even more hilarious after a few frustrated brainstorming sessions.

macronencer

Postby macronencer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Kilroy(ZTC) wrote:When I did this my idea was just like a bucket and then the robot could just stay underneath the thing that drops the balls and catch them all

Many thanks for being the first person to explain this fully. I had to read most of the way down the first page before I found your comment and finally understood why there was MORE THAN ONE BALL! :?
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.

cypher

Postby cypher » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

I'm the president of a FIRST FRC team, and I am so thankful that XKCD has brought some publicity to the program.

http://www.usfirst.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbA33dX127E
find the limit as x approaches infinity of
___x___
(x2+1)1/2
using L'Hôpital's rule.

doive

Postby doive » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 am UTC

I was in the 'Zilla' years, mothzilla and hugzilla. (that makes 2 and 3 competitions ago), how about you?

^Also i did that limits problem! how frustrating :p

ionine_

Postby ionine_ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:54 am UTC

cptjeff wrote:
ionine_ wrote:I found this hilarious, even though this is my first year participating in FIRST.

Greetings from Team 334.

You'll find it even more hilarious after a few frustrated brainstorming sessions.

Does that apply even if I'm programming?

Hmmmingbird

Postby Hmmmingbird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

doive wrote:I was in the 'Zilla' years, mothzilla and hugzilla. (that makes 2 and 3 competitions ago), how about you?

I'm new this year, and I'm pretty shit at it tbh :P So you were year 13 last last year?

rivalinfantry

Postby rivalinfantry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 am UTC

I had to make an account just to post how awesome this comic is. How did our team not think of that yet?

Netrilix

Postby Netrilix » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 am UTC

Heh, a FIRST comic caught me off guard. :D

Team 131 (C.H.A.O.S) - 2004-2005

shawnz

Postby shawnz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

damnit, randall... giving away our team's strategy like that! :(

i thought it was quite strange that there'd be an xkcd about robots playing soccer so close to the FRC kickoff... then i noticed "FIRST" was capitalized in the title :D

-- programmer from 907

flguy1980

Postby flguy1980 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

It's about time someone did it: portraying a fire sprinkler working the way it actually does. Activated by heat, specifically 160F, of which a match is easily capable.

It makes my head spin every time a TV show or movie depicts fire sprinklers working in a different manner, namely, every one in the entire building activating when the fire alarm is activated by a smoke detector or pull station.

I work in the IT department at a large insurance company. During "Insurance 101" basic training, a class participant asked if renter's insurance covers sprinkler water damage to your apartment if a fire happened elsewhere in the building. And she wasn't talking about horizontal floor flooding or water cascading--she was talking about the sprinkler heads in your apartment activating due to a fire elsewhere in the building. Doh!

No wonder nobody wants sprinklers in their home/apartment. I can't count the number of times I've had to explain "I'd gladly repair the water damage from a fire sprinkler than rebuild my entire house!"--if I get into making a bunch of improvements to my house, sprinklers are on the list.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

hintss wrote:upward mounted flamethrower instead of a telescoping pole if theres a height limit?

Hey FIRSTers, are flammables actually allowed in the competition? If not, a halogen bulb (possibly with a parabolic mirror) is a good alternative.

Or if you have some leeway in your budget, a dome-concealed maser would provide multipurpose functionality.

joshz

Postby joshz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

I don't think so, and lasers that leave your robot's perimeter are banned as well.

As well as, you know, damaging other robots/the field.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

rateguard

Postby rateguard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:27 am UTC

yay i feel smart because i know what FIRST is xP

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 am UTC

organman wrote:I fear that this may not be graciously professional. :(

Thanks for the lol. My FLL team went to WorldFest last year as a Core Values Team. :D

sandie

Postby sandie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:13 am UTC

The bar for us geeks has obviously gone way up. When I was in high school, this kind of competition was being done by students at MIT and I was struggling to animate sprites on a C64. Rock on, generation Z' or whatever you want to call yourselves! You are going to do great things.

wolfbait1

Postby wolfbait1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Loved this comic. I´m the former captain of FIRST team 1274. This year I´m in Paraguay so I´ve been IMing with the team and giving advice when needed.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 am UTC

The first thing I noticed in this comic is that you've misquoted "Pool on the roof must have a leak".
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Inglonias

Re: 0689: "First Design"

Postby Inglonias » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Team 620 (Warbots). Programmer/very annoying to my teammates.

Good luck to all.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”