0691: "MicroSD"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zombie of drake

Re: "MicroSD" Discussion

Postby zombie of drake » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

I was talking with my father about this, and he said that back when he worked for NASA, the Apollo guidence computer only had 64 Kb, and that the initial training computer had only 8 Kb. This was in a box about 2'x1', and was mindblowing at the time. And now I walk around with a 40Gb mp3 player and a phone with 8Gb, and complain that I still need more portable storage.

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 pm UTC

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what a "refrigerator carton" is?

adaviel

Postby adaviel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

More going backwards:
First exchangeable non-volatile random-access device I got to use: 64Kb magnetic core memory module, about the size of 2 Encyclopedia Britannica volumes (the paper ones). Each bit was a little ferrite donut about 2mm across, hand-threaded with (I think) 3 wires. It came with quick-release handles like a hot-swap RAID disk. You could swap out the operating system in a minute or so just by changing modules and restart where you left off by jumping to a binary address set with toggle switches. Ferranti FM1600B computer, RTL logic, boot from paper tape, circa 1975.
Later I found an even cooler technology - a ROM where each bit was a ferrite plug inserted into a hole on a card, about 128 bytes per module each about the size of a pizza box. I think it was something like the controller for 1960's era Bloodhound antiaircraft missile.
I too am somewhat in awe of the changes in my lifetime - the MicroSD card is something like 3 billion times as dense as the core module.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

...hey, you found the memory stick to my Marylin Monrobot!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

Modern data storage is indeed incredible. So much information you can pack onto something so easily hidden. :P

A few years ago I bought a 64MB CF card for about $50. Now we're close to having 64GB MicroSD for the same price. I can literally get over 1000 times as much storage, in a package I estimate about 1/32 the size, for the same cost.

M-M-M-MULTIQUOTE!!!
crazy_ninja wrote:I feel as though fitting the entire iTunes catalog inside a soda/pop/coke can is indicative of the need to increase the quality of the sound files they store... We have space now :lol:
FLAC plz. The two reasons I still occasionally buy CDs rather than use an online store is that they offer lossless encoding and rarely have the songs I want.
Kyrn wrote:I don't see why it has to be micro-storage though. Why can't we just have an average credit-card sized chip (so it can be easily packed into wallets) which holds all that data, only larger to reflect the increased mass, and hence storage capacity? Why make something so small we'd just lose them?
For that, I keep a USB stick on my keychain. Credit-card-profile storage would be neat though.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Lerkistan

Postby Lerkistan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't understand what a "refrigerator carton" is?

Nope. No carton in my fridge, at least when I checked last time.

Wikipedia has some estimates how much data is generated by all phone calls in the USA per year. Assuming I didn't mess up with the units (and the Windows calculator thingie), it would take a cube of about 3.6 m^2 to store them all. Sounds less impressive than a soda can? Maybe, but they're talking about 9.25 exabytes. Which is one of the figures I still have to look up to even know how many 0s are necessary...

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

I got my microSDHC (4GB) card free with my not smartphone with an adapter and a USB card reader. Sucks that it doesn't work with my camera or MP3 player.

trisweb

Postby trisweb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

I know calculations have been done already, but since I have my google already done...

Taking some liberal assumptions, like an average size of 6.98 MB for an iTunes track (which I averaged from my purchased tracks, probably not a good sample)... and the size of the iTunes library at 11 million tracks (wikipedia, citation needed, etc. etc.), and a 90% packing efficiency (probably vertically) for microSD cards into said soda can:

Volume of a soda can in ml: 382.51 ml
Volume of a microSD card in ml: 0.165
Number of microSD cards in soda can (90% packing efficiency): 2086 microSD cards.

Total capacity for 16GB cards: 33,376 GB
Total capacity for 32GB cards: 66,752 GB

Size of iTunes: ((11000000 songs * 6.98 MB/song) / 1024 MB/GB) = 74,980 GB

So, I think it might work with 64 gig cards... and maybe also if the average song size in iTunes is lower, but I think that's about right for the new 256Mbps standard encoding format... but, by no means an accurate calculation.

It's still incredible that it's even remotely close to true. Technology is amazing...

kEnder

Postby kEnder » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

baltakatei wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:Terry Pratchett said that information generates its own gravity, and compared libraries to black holes in the sense that a reader who wanders in might be unable to ever leave (in which case tvtropes could hold an accretion disk the size of the milky way).

MicroSD? More like MicroSingularityDevice, right? :P

From the T. Pratchett Wiki:

"The Unseen Library is the most famously magical of the Unseen buildings. However, it should be noted that the fact that it houses books is the main reason that it is magical and dangerous. The additional fact that some of the books are about magic spells, written by wizards, is only a small enhancement of the magical dangers of the Library. Books contain knowledge, and knowledge equals power, which according to the laws of physics can be converted to energy and matter, so the Library contains an extremely large mass that can distort time and space. That is the natural philosophy mumbo-jumbo explanation on the dangers of the Library...."

I've always liked the idea that there is some relationship between mass, energy, and raw information. We have the relationship between the first two (E = mc^2). But what is the equation relating the second and third?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

I was expecting a punchline defusing his awe of the possible "towering aisles of library books" in front of him by informing that the card was filled with the first three seasons of "Three's Company" or something.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't understand what a "refrigerator carton" is?

I took it to mean the BOX a refrigerator is packed in for shipment and storage?
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?

Well...you've got 16GB in a microSD, and after the 20 seconds of effort, I found and angel .gif at 18k. So, you could fit...

(16 gigabytes) / (18 kilobytes) = 932 067.556

Angels on a microSD. Now, the area of a microSD is:

(17.8 cm) * (12.7 cm) = 0.022606 m^2

And let's assume the head of a pin is 2*pi*0.5mm=3.14mm^2=3.14 × 10^-6 m^2

So, that's 7199.36306 so ~7200 pins to the microSD

And thus, 129.46528 or ~129 angels to the head of a pin.

And growing.

Advancing technology: We make your angels smaller.

theta4

Postby theta4 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

Personally, I'd rather work with a hard disk. They're harder to lose, and have stood the test of time.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

I am not impressed by the data storage capabilities of the MicroSD cards: they are not designed to be used as data storage, so lose by default. I think DVR+R (DL) Disks are fairly dense (DVD-R/Blu-Ray is disqualified for the same reason as SD).

I wish there was a data storage format about the size of a postage stamp with a write-protect tab. I think the standard SD cards would be a perfect floppy replacement if they did not screw them up (lowering their maximum speed) just so that they could implement DRM. That's right! SD cards implement the "copy protection" consumers refused to accept in hard-disks.

Edit: 250 GB flash drives (mentioned below) do count, according to my radical criteria.
Last edited by phillipsjk on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Did you get the number on that truck?

xeroxorex

Postby xeroxorex » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Fume Troll wrote:
ddrcoder wrote:
ddrcoder wrote:Is there any denser portable storage format, volume-wise?

Or, to put it another, way, is there anything else that can beat:
* 1e17 byte/m^3
* 0.01mL/GB
* 10 mL/TB
* 478 GB/teaspoon
* 367 TB/gal
...?

Not hugely portable, but the highest bit denisity I can find is this: http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2009/january28/small-012809.html at approximately 3 Exabytes/in^2. I don't know how this would translate to volume.

my rough calculations using the molar density of osmium molecules (the densest thing I could think of off hand) and the provided figure of 35 bits per electron i came to almost exactly(within 2% margin of error) 2 zettabytes per cubic millimeter. Of course even if you make the argument that the density of molecules used to store information was a thousand times more than the density used, it would still be 2 zettabytes per cubic centimeter(ml), which is pretty badass to me, storing 736,672,790,609,920 gb of data in a soda can.

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:Advancing technology: We make your angels smaller.

We cram more and more angels onto your pin.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Am I the only one who finds the frame of reference comparisons funny instead of humbling?

A dirigible full of file cabinets.

A ring of Saturn made from papyrus.

Enough monkey brain to fill a swimming pool.

The internal surface of the Egyptian national museum at Cairo covered in post-it notes.

A 2X2X2X2X2 hypercube of 1 GB SD cards.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Rejusu

Postby Rejusu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:50 am UTC

snow93 wrote:Hmm.. my first pendrive was 32mb.
Despite being young (<18), I positively feel like and old-timer constantly marvelling at how far technology seems to have come in just a few years.

On a related note, I *hate* hard drives. They seem like a great big kludge that's accidentally lasted for a couple of decades: think about it- in order to store data, you need to make a platter spin unimaginably fast, and touch it thousands of times a second with an ultra-fragile pointed stick, and if anything gets knocked slightly you lose *all* your data. A wondrous bit or engineering, sure, but horrible to maintain in general.
Solid-state FTW. (should be cheap enough to replace all hard drives within 4 years)

Psh I'm only 20 and I find the same thing. Learning older programming languages after learning newer ones is probably the most interesting... and at the same time the most painful.

The thing about Hard Drives is that they've simply been the best way to handle storage for a long time now. Sure by their nature they're prone to failure but 90% of the time they work just fine. Solid-state is better I'll grant you, in both terms of performance and stability. Until it can come close to matching hard drives in terms of price per GB it's just not feasible for bulk data storage yet. Considering that right now you'd pay roughly 4 times as much for an SSD with about 16% of what you'd get from a conventional HDD. Anyway HDDs are much better than magnetic tape.

whubris

Postby whubris » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 am UTC

dennisw wrote:Compare a 16GB MicroSD card at very roughly 107MB/mm^3 to an early-80's FH 5.25" 10MB hard drive at about 4B/mm^3 (yes, you read that right - "B" - no "K", no "M", no "G" - just "B" as in "Bytes"). What's that - 26.75 million times as dense?

This inspired me so I signed up to post this.

Venerable Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive] says a 241.3 mm × 117.5 mm × 362 mm hard drive was the first form factor compatible HDD in 1979 (the Shugart Associates SA1000). The biggest one was 10.67MB [http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/shugart/39011-0_SA1000_Servc_Dec80.pdf]. That is 1.0E+7 mm3 and has a storage density of 1.0E-6 megabytes per cubic millimetre. (granted, probably not the most dense storage format back then - anyone got any that were better?)

Today, a 16GB microSD card is 165 mm3 and therefore has a storage density of 97 megabytes per cubic millimetre.

So in thirty years density has increased by a factor of about 9.3E+7 (93 million).

Extrapolating wildly thirty years into the future, a microSD-size card could hold 1.5E+12 megabytes, or (just under) 30 times the "entire works of humankind, from the beginning of recorded history, in all languages", i.e. 1 primary copy plus 29 backup copies of every book, article, essay, web page, song, image, movie, TV show and video ever produced and stored by humankind (at least, up to 2006). [http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/magazine/14publishing.html?_r=1 (50 petabytes)] Yeah! 8)

Alternatively you could hold the same amount of data in the latest MicroSD card - ie 16 GB - in a hypothetical card that is 1.8E-6 mm3 in volume. That's a 12 micron cube, about the size of a dust mite. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Any errors in that?

What storage mechanisms could potentially be that dense?
Last edited by whubris on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
ddrcoder wrote:So, if you puree'd the entire population of the USA (not just the fatties) and evenly distributed it across the whole grand canyon, the water level would rise 2 feet.

kriel

Postby kriel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Rejusu wrote:Anyway HDDs are much better than magnetic tape.
Magnetic tape doesn't have head crashes.

whubris

Postby whubris » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Am I the only one who finds the frame of reference comparisons funny instead of humbling?
The internal surface of the Egyptian national museum at Cairo covered in post-it notes.

Good evening. Did you know that 34 million American adults are obese?
Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two
fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind
it is a very big canyon.
-- Kent Brockman's report, ``Bart's Friend Falls in Love''
ddrcoder wrote:So, if you puree'd the entire population of the USA (not just the fatties) and evenly distributed it across the whole grand canyon, the water level would rise 2 feet.

chernobyl

Postby chernobyl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 am UTC

5 years ago, I had a Sony discman -- quite easy to find when I needed it.
Now I have a 3rd generation iPod shuffle. It weighs 10 grams. And I always forget where I left it.

Same goes for MicroSD cards. They're too easy to lose...

On the other hand, if I had an iTunes soda can (iCan for short), I'd be more careful with it. The memory cards in it would cost thousands of dollars, and the music on them would be worth millions!

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:18 am UTC

I want to start this by saying that I, also, have been in awe of flash cards recently. I bought a 2G for my phone last year for ~$17 and was stunned by it. I remember going from a 4 MB hdd to a 20 MB and thinking that I would never be able to fill it. It was, for all intents, infinite storage.

Now today I stumbled upon this 128 GB flash card! I think they've been out for a while but apparently I haven't been paying attention. And that's way out of my price range, anyway. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:I want to start this by saying that I, also, have been in awe of flash cards recently. I bought a 2G for my phone last year for ~$17 and was stunned by it. I remember going from a 4 MB hdd to a 20 MB and thinking that I would never be able to fill it. It was, for all intents, infinite storage.

Now today I stumbled upon this 128 GB flash card! I think they've been out for a while but apparently I haven't been paying attention. And that's way out of my price range, anyway. :)

That's more than my harddrive. :shock:

I just thought of something. In a Star Wars book taking place about 40 years after the movies, Boba Fett apparently has the capacity to store terabytes of information on his person, although he seems to consider a terabyte a lot of information. Taking into account Moore's law, in the Star Wars movies, we're far ahead in terms of storage capacity.

Where's my lightsaber and droid?
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

ddrcoder

Postby ddrcoder » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 am UTC

whubris wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:Am I the only one who finds the frame of reference comparisons funny instead of humbling?

Good evening. Did you know that 34 million American adults are obese?
Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two
fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind
it is a very big canyon.
-- Kent Brockman's report, ``Bart's Friend Falls in Love''

The average person is close to neutrally buoyant in water (not very far off, even for fatties), so it's fair to say that their density is very close to 1kg/L. The average american's body weight is about 80kg. Average * Count = Sum, so America's people weigh about 2.4e10 kg. 1kg/L puts that right at 2.4e10L. 2.4e10L spread across the length of the Grand Canyon (270 mi) and its width (300 ft) = 2.4e10 L / (270mi * 300ft) makes for a change in the depth of the Colorado River of about 0.6 m, or 2 feet.

So, if you puree'd the entire population of the USA (not just the fatties) and evenly distributed it across the whole grand canyon, the water level would rise 2 feet.

Bob Rayne

Postby Bob Rayne » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Well look at this

A 256 GB Flash Drive

null1024

Postby null1024 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 am UTC

chernobyl wrote:Same goes for MicroSD cards. They're too easy to lose...

This. Losing something this small is almost easier than breathing.

Infact, losing a normal SD card is easy enough for me, I'd rather have something physically large to have if I'm going to be storing such massive amounts of data [well, not massive by today's standards, but considering that I was fine with 100MB Zip disks a mere 3 years ago...].

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Bob Rayne wrote:Well look at this

A 256 GB Flash Drive

*loses consciousness*

You think I'm kidding, don't you?
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

sandie

Postby sandie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 am UTC

zombie of drake wrote:I was talking with my father about this, and he said that back when he worked for NASA, the Apollo guidence computer only had 64 Kb, and that the initial training computer had only 8 Kb. This was in a box about 2'x1', and was mindblowing at the time. And now I walk around with a 40Gb mp3 player and a phone with 8Gb, and complain that I still need more portable storage.

ramiz wrote:... and the whole Bible could be stored 10.000 times on that small SD card, or all the works of Shakespeare and Ghandi and thousand of other great authors and thinkers and philosophers...

... and still, it's full of porn and nothing else. :twisted: (Slightly related: this new phones have quite large displays - they add a whole new dimension to watching porn! :mrgreen: )

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I was expecting a punchline defusing his awe of the possible "towering aisles of library books" in front of him by informing that the card was filled with the first three seasons of "Three's Company" or something.

Thanks to zombie of drake, ramiz and MuToiD_MaN for hitting the nail on the head. For every time I am awed by how far we've gone with technology, I am appalled by what I, personally, am doing with it. My parent's generation sent Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon and back with a 64K computer. I manage a small farm of servers (OK, they're W2K3, but still...), and I can't even get myself out of bed and to work on time. I'm going to try and think back ten years to what I imagined I could do if I had the technology we actually have today and then do it.

Fallen Angel

Postby Fallen Angel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 am UTC

I would like to know what sort of books he reads to arouse himself. Other then the obvious choices.
I don't know why I was created... and not some other misfortunate soul.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:55 am UTC

TheDarkNerd wrote:To think, we may very well reach an age where storage capacities allow you to store every piece of data that could define you for who you are, a video diary of your day-to-day existence from birth, any creative work you've ever made, all onto one tiny device.

. . . and then you accidentally inhale it.

Suddenly, Caprica doesn't seem so far-fetched.
---------
BlueNight

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
MotorToad wrote:I want to start this by saying that I, also, have been in awe of flash cards recently. I bought a 2G for my phone last year for ~$17 and was stunned by it. I remember going from a 4 MB hdd to a 20 MB and thinking that I would never be able to fill it. It was, for all intents, infinite storage.

I just thought of something. In a Star Wars book taking place about 40 years after the movies, Boba Fett apparently has the capacity to store terabytes of information on his person, although he seems to consider a terabyte a lot of information. Taking into account Moore's law, in the Star Wars movies, we're far ahead in terms of storage capacity.

A LONG TIME AGO in a galaxy far, far away.

I rest my case. Also I don't take Star Wars books seriously.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

Rejusu

Postby Rejusu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Kyrn wrote:I don't see why it has to be micro-storage though. Why can't we just have an average credit-card sized chip (so it can be easily packed into wallets) which holds all that data, only larger to reflect the increased mass, and hence storage capacity? Why make something so small we'd just lose them?

Well the thing about micro-storage is it's meant to be used with a device rather than carried (as you would a portable HDD or flash drive) for moving files around. You don't have to worry about losing them when they're almost permanently inserted into something larger. By cutting down the size of the storage we use on these devices as well we can make the devices smaller. Basically it's easier to think of micro-storage as what your hard drive is to your computer.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

A LONG TIME AGO in a galaxy far, far away.

I rest my case. Also I don't take Star Wars books seriously.

You apparently don't get that I was joking.
ImageImage

bzakharin

Postby bzakharin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Surely they're only that small so you can put them into cameras, cellphones, etc. I mean if you're not going to do that, you can get much higher capacity devices in a conveniently larger form factor. Or use the SD adapter that comes with nearly all MicroSD cards anyway.

kk0425

Postby kk0425 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Finally,
Get out of my head Randall!

Also, I remember getting my first 128 MB flash drive for $20 and being so excited about it. Then it died 6 months later. :x
Ah well, but now I have two 2 GB flash drives, one for school, one for home, and a third 8 GB drive built into a lighter that I carry on my person everywhere to ensure I have storage.

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Let's see...1000 pages of text is probably around 5 centimeters, so one meter of dense books is about 20,000 pages. If the aisle of books is about 10 meters long, and has 3 rows of books on each side, that's 20000 * 10 * 6 = 1,200,000 pages. If each page has 1000 words averaging about 5 characters per word, that's 7,000,000,000 characters, which fits in the same number of bytes if you use ASCII. Enough space left for a second shelf and a few Lolcats.

I still only have a 2GB drive; it has two partitions, one of which broke a while ago. So really it's a 1GB drive that could die at any time. Am I cheap, or what?

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

For Christmas, I got an external hard drive because my 8 GB flash drive was running out of space and I wanted something where I could put all the files on my computer that I want to keep safe.

The drive is 320 GB and is smaller (in physical size) than my current computer's main hard drive, which is 38 GB.

I am still in awe of it. :shock:

I wonder if I will ever be able to fill it up.

guyy wrote:Let's see...1000 pages of text is probably around 5 centimeters, so one meter of dense books is about 20,000 pages. If the aisle of books is about 10 meters long, and has 3 rows of books on each side, that's 20000 * 10 * 6 = 1,200,000 pages. If each page has 1000 words averaging about 5 characters per word, that's 7,000,000,000 characters, which fits in the same number of bytes if you use ASCII. Enough space left for a second shelf and a few Lolcats.

Usually library bookshelves have more than three rows of books each; I think 5 or 6 rows could fit on an average one. And 1000 is a damn lot of words for one page. What we could do to make the calculation easier is find out the average number of books on a library shelf (do some research in the field, i.e. go to a library, count the books on shelves, and calculate average), find the average filesize for one Kindle ebook (is that what the books you get for the Kindle are called?), figure out how much of that, if any, is devoted to the code necessary for turning pages and whatnot, and then do simple multiplication from there.

average # of books on two library shelves * filesize of one ebook = # of bytes necessary.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

whubris

Postby whubris » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

welcome to my .sig

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 am UTC

A lot of people have done calculations. But does anyone actually have a heck of a lot of Micro SD cards to try it out with?
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”