0700: "Complexion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aurumelectrum13

Re: "Complexion" Discussion

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 am UTC

RequiemCube wrote:
leftnotracks wrote:There's an inconsistency in the penultimate frame. The speaker says, "OK call it. Heads, she gets the..." The coin flipper is telling someone to call the coin, then calling it himself.

Worse than Greedo shooting.

Nah. It was a sentence that got interrupted by a Batman punch. "Okay, call it. Heads, she gets the salicylic acid; tails, she gets the benzoyl peroxide."

Ah, but then why would he need anyone to call it?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Having seen Dark Knight a couple of months ago, I got it instantly, and I quite enjoyed the feeling when it all clicked :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 am UTC

I'd hate to see what batman does to Clippy or a fanboy in Linux mascot attire.

Spoiler:
The Riddler and The Penguin, respectively.

BurnTheOrange

Postby BurnTheOrange » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 am UTC

At first i didn't get the joke. It wasn't till i had gone on to another site that i clicked, and then I almost spit my soda when I realized it was a Harvey Dent reference.
Batman + science = burns my cheese.
Why yes, I do, indeed, enjoy the pie. Unless, of course, you are speaking of the "pumkin" flavored sort, in which case, I do not enjoy that pie.

Cal27

Postby Cal27 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 am UTC

cream wobbly wrote:How apropos that the cheese burning joke gets wheeled out again. Dairy activates allergy-like symptoms and exacerbates existing mild allergies (including tree nut allergies). This is where your pimples come from.

But as we all know, social problems like consuming foods made from fluid expelled from other species held in unthinkable conditions can be solved with a simple technological fix, like paying a drug company to torture and kill other mammals (pigs, dogs, rabbits, cats, rats, and so on) to prove the efficacy of a schmear that hides the effects of hedonism.

Dairy is not the cause of acne. At least, not on its own. I haven't drank milk since I was 5 (or had any dairy since I was like 10) and I still get acne.

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:14 am UTC

I didn't get the joke until I looked back at the comic and realized what his face looked like. Then, I lawled

HPDDJ

Postby HPDDJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:38 am UTC

BATMAN OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE

RequiemCube

Postby RequiemCube » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

aurumelectrum13 wrote:
RequiemCube wrote:
leftnotracks wrote:There's an inconsistency in the penultimate frame. The speaker says, "OK call it. Heads, she gets the..." The coin flipper is telling someone to call the coin, then calling it himself.

Worse than Greedo shooting.

Nah. It was a sentence that got interrupted by a Batman punch. "Okay, call it. Heads, she gets the salicylic acid; tails, she gets the benzoyl peroxide."

Ah, but then why would he need anyone to call it?

Touché.
Or maybe KAPOW!

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Nihiltres wrote:For a truly random chance, you'd have to make at very least two coin tosses, making pairs of tosses until the tosses came out different. If toss 1 is heads and toss 2 tails, count heads (and vice versa). This will even out any non-random coin tossing in case your coin is biased. Of course, you have to be able to distinguish between the two sides: no double-headed or -tailed coins! :)

Aha! You've just provided a solution to a problem I've been aware of but never tried to solve, which is this: in and around Ultimate (Frisbee), players, when in need of a coin flip, often flip two discs and have someone call "same" or "different". I assume this is because they realize the shape of the disc likely makes a simple heads-or-tails outcome skewed in one direction or the other. What they don't seem to realize is, if this is the case, one should always pick "same". I was content to simply exploit this, but I'm delighted by your solution.

LTK

Postby LTK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

How does he come up with this?

libra

Postby libra » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am UTC

LTK wrote:How does he come up with this?

He does a Sylar on the heads of lesser web comic authors.

MaleAlphaThree

Postby MaleAlphaThree » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Been reading the comic for a long time and only now I can't resist posting, when the topic of acne comes up. :roll:

The best way I have found to get rid of and prevent acne, without packing chemicals onto your face (and besides changing your pillowcase/taking showers), is sun tanning either in the sun or a tanning bed. I have been tanning for the past three years and it works almost perfectly, you still need to change your pillowcase. And don't believe the media BS about skin cancer and melanoma, you only increase your risk from sunburning, not tanning. Tanning also provides you with Vitamin D, sexiness, and it just feels good. Don't think it's just a girl thing to do, plenty of guys are getting into it and not the ones that get pedicures and facials. :wink:

javahead

Postby javahead » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Loved it

bernnebez

Postby bernnebez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

It is really safer for you guys to make it on a tanning bed. This could be safer if you couldn't do something that is really wrong. Try this and you can achieve your goal as fast as you wish.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”