0702: "Snow Tracking"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BiggAl

Re: “Snow Tracking” discussion

Postby BiggAl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:
qwerty_uk wrote:
BiggAl wrote:I don't get the problem with the prius? surely people have heard of engine breaking? Just change down a few gears and you'll slow down as you let the clutch out - not sure how that would work with the hybrid stopping though - anyone here got a prius?

Actually, engine braking was part of the problem. When you press the (electronic) brake pedal lightly, it doesn't use the brakes at all, but uses engine braking whilst capturing the returned energy to charge the batteries. When you need to brake more, the actual brakes take over. It was the transition that was sometimes getting screwed-up, allowing the cars to cruse without brakes for a little while. At least that's what I heard.

No, engine braking is when you downshift and cause the combustion engine to rev up without getting extra fuel. The energy of braking goes into compressing air in the cylinders, but since there's not extra fuel to ignite it, it just disappears, and the car slows down.

In a hybrid vehicle, pressing lightly on the brakes applies regenerative braking, where the transmission is connected to one of the motors, which is used as a generator to slow the vehicle while recharging the battery.

I hadn't heard of a problem with the brakes, though, just with the electronic accelerators getting stuck.

Apparently there's a minor problem with the ABS where although it works it doesn't quite work as you'd expect.
Toyota wrote:Some owners have reported experiencing inconsistent brake feel during slow and steady application of the brakes on rough or slick road surfaces when the anti-lock brake system (ABS) is activated in an effort to maintain tire traction.
But considering the fact that my car doesn't even /have/ ABS, I don't see what people are crying about...

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

EvolutionNerd wrote:Technically it could only be a "hare dryer" if the rabbit in question was from the genus Lepus. Puns are bad, but possibly scientifically incorrect puns are worse. For shame, Randall!

Back into your basement with you! :evil:

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Darian_TruBlade

Postby Darian_TruBlade » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Confirming "Hare Dryer" as a Bugs Bunny reference.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048263/usercomments

I thought the Bobcat with a Pogo Stick was Felix the Cat, but my Google Fu failed to turn up anything. Other possibilities include Bubsy Bobcat and Bonkers D. Bobcat.

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

BiggAl wrote:I don't get the problem with the prius? surely people have heard of engine breaking? Just change down a few gears and you'll slow down as you let the clutch out - not sure how that would work with the hybrid stopping though - anyone here got a prius?

The Prius has never been available with a manual transmission. Honda stopped making the Civic Hybrids with manual transmissions in '05.

I can downshift just fine in my '04 HCH. :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

One of the comments to yesterday's Calvin and Hobbes cartoon points out that Hobbes leaves footprints in the snow, by the way. I wonder whether that cartoon inspired Randall in some way or it's a coincidence. I guess they must be imaginary footprints in Calvin's mind.

jasonkoller

Postby jasonkoller » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Truly Epic

MarioMaster151

Postby MarioMaster151 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

pudding wrote:Oh me yarm you guys! Legolas was outside my apartment last night! :D

Damn, you beat me to it

SlippingStar

Postby SlippingStar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

I believe the hair dryer is a reference to the scroll-over text, "Or is it a hare dryer?"
The only certainty is uncertainty itself.

imsuzyq

Postby imsuzyq » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

snow and Calvin and Hobbes belong together. :)

Gavin.Immer

Postby Gavin.Immer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Dunno if this is relevant or not...

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Monika wrote:One of the comments to yesterday's Calvin and Hobbes cartoon points out that Hobbes leaves footprints in the snow, by the way. I wonder whether that cartoon inspired Randall in some way or it's a coincidence. I guess they must be imaginary footprints in Calvin's mind.

Just so we're clear, that cartoon was published on the first of January, 1989. There have not been any new Calvin & Hobbes comics since December 31, 1995.
wee free kings

BiggAl

Postby BiggAl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Leliel wrote:The Prius has never been available with a manual transmission. Honda stopped making the Civic Hybrids with manual transmissions in '05.

[Bangs head against wall]WHY WHY WHY[/Bangs head against wall]

Why would a manufacturer make a car for mass-market without a manual transmission? I'm sick of getting stuck behind people crawling up-hill because if they go any faster their gearbox will shift up, where they don't have the power to keep going... And when something goes wrong the 'driver' has no control over their car. Thanks Toyota for proving the point of a manual transmission...

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Silly yet hilarious :D
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

grafpa

Postby grafpa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

One of the comments to yesterday's Calvin and Hobbes cartoon points out that Hobbes leaves footprints in the snow, by the way. I wonder whether that cartoon inspired Randall in some way or it's a coincidence. I guess they must be imaginary footprints in Calvin's mind.

HOBBES IS REAL!!!
"If you feel you are beginning to succeed, try raising your standards"

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

The only "hare/hair" joke I remember from Bugs Bunny is from "Rebel Rabbit" (1949) where the southern Senator demands "This HARE must DYE!" after Bugs has gone on a rampage across the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Rabbit

Either way "hare dryer" is not a bad joke in itself.

-ritvax
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Thorbard9

Postby Thorbard9 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

BiggAl wrote:
Leliel wrote:The Prius has never been available with a manual transmission. Honda stopped making the Civic Hybrids with manual transmissions in '05.

Why would a manufacturer make a car for mass-market without a manual transmission? I'm sick of getting stuck behind people crawling up-hill because if they go any faster their gearbox will shift up, where they don't have the power to keep going... And when something goes wrong the 'driver' has no control over their car. Thanks Toyota for proving the point of a manual transmission...

The Prius, along with the Lexus hybrids, features a continuously variable transmission, and always has. This negates the 'shifting when going uphill' problem you just described. The design of the transmission allows the electric and internal combustion systems to connect together without any further intermediate steps too, which is handy.

I don't think having a manual transmission would actually help with this problem though.

sean66

Postby sean66 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Ralph S. Mouse rode a motorcycle, not a bicycle. What the hell do we do now?!

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Longcat could be hopping to avoid the snow drifts. And Rocky would fly to avoid them as well. Who remember's Rocky's middle name? I know it began with a J.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

This comic = WIN.
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

plsander

Postby plsander » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

organman wrote:This would have been helpful for animal tracking merit badge.

Hey, BSA brought Stalking (errr umm make that Tracking) merit badge back for the centennial year.

tommclaughlan

Postby tommclaughlan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

I'm kinda disappointed a lot of you seemed to be confused on the Higgs boson one!

I think we need more outreach!

The decay drawn in the last panel looks like it could be a 4 lepton Higgs decay. That'd be where the Higgs is created in a proton proton collision, perhaps by gluon fusion, then decays to two Z bosons, which in turn could decay into any lepton-antilepton pair. The decay drawn looks like a 4 muon decay (the prominent 4 straight lines), with the spirally tracks being not too interesting low Pt tracks...

In a detector such as ATLAS (my experiment), you get hits in several layers of pixels, silicon strips and drift tubes, which then must be reconstructed into tracks. So the dots on their own are just unconnected hits. Probably just noise. (Note: only charged particles leave hits in the tracking detectors)

The rest of the 'stuff' other than the leptons (in a 4 lepton Higgs decay), would just be fragments of the initial proton-proton collision. If the Higgs was created by gluon fusion, the other parts of the proton have to go somewhere!

(EDIT: Also just noticed the left most track which has a secondary vertex, where a particle has decayed after travelling some distance.)

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Hurray for Calvin & Hobbes references! When I was a kid I cut the whole transmogrifier story line out of the newspaper one day at a time (going back from about day 3 when I realized it was going to go on for a while) and taped it to my bedroom wall. I had all the dialogue memorized.

skine

Postby skine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Wait, is that supposed to be a knight errant (wandering aimlessly, a la Quixote)?

karlandtanya

Postby karlandtanya » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:49 am UTC

Ralph S. Mouse rode a MOTORCYCLE, not a bicycle!

PBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

The_Barbarian

Postby The_Barbarian » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 am UTC

BiggAl wrote:

Why would a manufacturer make a car for mass-market without a manual transmission?

Aside from the continuously variable transmission, they might do it anyway because automatics are hugely more popular in America than manuals. Depending on the target market, it might not be worth it to them.

Anoria

Postby Anoria » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 am UTC

I started lolling at the moose and squirrel, and loved the Higgs panel and all, but the beauty of this comic for me is the different box prints between the transmogrifier and duplicator. Well done, Randall.

Slightly disappointed there's been no full consensus on Ralph S Mouse, the hare dryer panel, or the pogo-ing bobcat. I'll check back later to see if people have done the rest of my thinking for me.

gr8r-x

Postby gr8r-x » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 am UTC

RE: Longcat - maybe the animal is running. It's not unheard of for quadrupeds to leave footprints the length of their body whilst in full sprint. Granted, it should have resulted in 2 sets of prints in close succession, but they may have the incredible ability of placing their hind feet in the same space as the fore. :D

nathanmlevesque

Postby nathanmlevesque » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am UTC

wow...The prius explanation while entertaining is nonsensical, it was a joke about the recall. You know, that massive series of recalls about brakes that lock causing people to speed out of control, most often into vegetable gardens?

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am UTC

Awesome comic. Particularly enjoyed the Calvin and Hobbes references.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 am UTC

all of those who think longcat stride is wrong,
long cat makes long jumps.

ysth

Postby ysth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 am UTC

amedeus wrote:YES! I love the Calvin and Hobbes references!

Oh man, I'm gonna have to read through my collection again. Thanks a lot, you've just effectively killed the rest of my week.

Oh, come on. With practice, a complete Calvin and Hobbes reread can be done in hours.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Quake

Postby Quake » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Phlip !

PANEL eight:
I'm quite with you,about modifying the chess board for this actual knight's sake.
But can you imagine how it would feel like being a bishop ? Not one single straight diagonal to walk along. Or even worse: to beer run through !
We would get an another Prius case.

Anyone !
PANEL ten:

The growth of the exponential function (2 ^ n ?) seems a bit week. 8)

PANELS one and three :

Suppose so.. :roll:
Sigh ..

edited bridge to bishop which is correct, but ... well

Mavwreck

Postby Mavwreck » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

Am I the only person who thought of XEvil instead of Calvin & Hobbes for panels 9 and 10?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

To everyone complaining about Longcat's tracks being wrong: Maybe Longcat walks like an inchworm.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

EhloVader

Postby EhloVader » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

#5 is probably a reference to my neighbor's dead rabbit.

It had been eating at me every time I saw xkcd in my iGoogle page, and I couldn't settle with it being a straight forward reference to Loony Toons/Bugs Bunny. Or even just a nice pun in the alt text.

Searching for hare dryer quickly came back with a possibly relevant urban legend at snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/haredry.asp :wink:

Not to mention further down in the results a relevant demotivational poster.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Mavwreck wrote:Am I the only person who thought of XEvil instead of Calvin & Hobbes for panels 9 and 10?

Why did you think of XEvil?

adaviel

Postby adaviel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

BiggAl wrote:..not sure how that would work with the hybrid stopping though - anyone here got a prius?

I drive an '07 Prius. The regenerative braking has been explained. There is also a fairly useless "engine braking" mode on the shifter which supposedly allows traditional engine braking (forcing the internal combustion engine to go faster than it would with a given throttle setting). By "fairly useless" I mean it didn't seem to make a whole bunch of difference when I tried it, but then my regenerative system was working properly. The brake problem as I heard affects only some 2010 models, and is a bit hard to understand. I initally thought it was normal ABS operation misundertood by drivers (if the brakes are applied, and the vehicle hits a region of lower friction or has lower effective weight (ice/pothole) the wheel will lock and the ABS system will drop the pressure in the system until the wheel spins). But a Toyota forum member said no, it was a delay between the regenerative braking when the pedal is first applied (light braking) and normal friction braking when the pedal is depressed further. There's talk of a software bug; maybe if the ABS has just triggered on a pothole, and now requires longer pedal travel because of the pressure drop, the engine management doesn't realize and stops regenerative braking too early. Hard to find real data among all the FUD and hype.

I did wonder, as it's "snow tracks", if it was a dig at the winter performance of the low-rolling-resistance tires standard on the Prius, but the brake issue is the obvious candidate.

highlyverbal

Postby highlyverbal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

I feel like some rabbits may be some other rabbit's heir.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: "Snow Tracking" discussion

Postby phlip » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Quake wrote:Phlip !

PANEL eight:
I'm quite with you,about modifying the chess board for this actual knight's sake.
But can you imagine how it would feel like being a bishop ? Not one single straight diagonal to walk along. Or even worse: to beer run through !
We would get an another Prius case.

You make a good point. That chessboard would be quite the occupational hazard.

To be honest, it was less "modifying it for this knight's sake" and "getting it done quickly so that the post I was replying to wasn't several pages back, with multiple people beating me to the explanation"... I think an even square grid would fit, if I'd taken the time to draw one.

Quake wrote:Anyone !
PANEL ten:

The growth of the exponential function (2 ^ n ?) seems a bit week. 8)

I think it's only linear, and only one of the crowd is being duplicated each time...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

bluebadger

Postby bluebadger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

I haven't read most of the comments but it just seems strange to me that so many people haven't figured out that the Bobcat on a Pogo stick is Bonkers... it's just boggling my mind and made me have to finally register!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”