0711: "Seismograph"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squareroot

0711: "Seismograph"

Postby squareroot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Title text: The reverse only works if the subject has a nervous twitch.

Didn't think the comic was very funny, but I lol'd at the title txt. :D
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Ichapp

Re: "Seismograph" Discussion

Postby Ichapp » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:10 am UTC

squareroot wrote:Didn't think the comic was very funny, but I lol'd at the title txt. :D

Not only that, but it took forever for a thread to be made.
Beasts move. Men reflect. Gods make real.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 am UTC

I wish it worked like that.

Is the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 digit of pi a 7?

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 am UTC

Me321 wrote:I wish it worked like that.

Is the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 digit of pi a 7?

What good would that do? A computer can find the digits more quickly than we could ask someone....
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:27 am UTC

I lol'ed at this one.
And I'm -2.

unfalliblekrutch

Postby unfalliblekrutch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 am UTC

didn't find it that funny either...

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 am UTC

really? Randall's been getting lazy.

I too do agree that the 100,000,000,000,000,000 digit of pi would have been funnier.

Jourdy289

Postby Jourdy289 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 am UTC

I got a crack out of this one, but I think it'd have to be wired into the ground, right?
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!

thanksbastards

Postby thanksbastards » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 am UTC

meh.

however, at first glance did anyone else think it was a comic a bout a guy yelling at an old man in a chair untill he started shaking? I did.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 am UTC

...what? Randall, you've been off your game the last couple of weeks.

The worst part is the unsettling feeling that he came up with this as a result of watching Numb3rs (which this past Friday had a lie detector plotline) and the Chilean earthquake.

GreatS

Postby GreatS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:03 am UTC

Got to agree this one wasn't even remotely as good as the other xkcd comics :cry: , except if we are all missing some hidden joke/reference, although I fear there isn't one.

jillllybean

Postby jillllybean » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:05 am UTC

I found this silly but funny.

macrocephalic

Postby macrocephalic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 am UTC

But the machine only works if the subject is lying. If he'd said yes (while an earthquake was actually occuring) then the readout would be all wrong.

DCB

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 am UTC

westrim wrote:The worst part is the unsettling feeling that he came up with this as a result of watching Numb3rs (which this past Friday had a lie detector plotline) and the Chilean earthquake.

I don't know, that is probably true and I actually find it pretty epic that he connected those two things. I mean how many degrees of separation were there between Numb3rs and Chilean earthquakes before this comic?

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:23 am UTC

DCB wrote:
westrim wrote:The worst part is the unsettling feeling that he came up with this as a result of watching Numb3rs (which this past Friday had a lie detector plotline) and the Chilean earthquake.

I don't know, that is probably true and I actually find it pretty epic that he connected those two things. I mean how many degrees of separation were there between Numb3rs and Chilean earthquakes before this comic?

One- all you'd have to do is watch the news and Numb3ers regularly. A cognitive leap does not a good comic or degrees of separation game make.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 am UTC

macrocephalic wrote:But the machine only works if the subject is lying. If he'd said yes (while an earthquake was actually occuring) then the readout would be all wrong.

I think the point is that you intentionally lie. And somehow your lying matches up with the quakes?? I don't know if it really works out logically.
And I'm -2.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:34 am UTC

^ if you think about the title text in another way, it's logical.

but what would happen if you hook up a fortune teller to lie detector test, or ask questions like "Does God Exist?"

in the real sense, the lie detector would surely end up saying truth, but considering lie detectors were accurate.

Tath

Postby Tath » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 am UTC

I definitely was thinking this when I saw the guy in the chair:

Quincy Rosenkreutz (or something like that) from Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo2040:
http://www.anime-int.com/works/bubblegu ... incy06.jpg

Alternatively, a Broken Man (AI Harold) from .hack//:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/dotha ... harald.JPG

DanGilles

Postby DanGilles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 am UTC

I think we're supposed to imagine that the guy is constantly saying "No". The degree to which this is false - and the degree to which the detector registers - correlate with the strength of the quake.

Not hilarious, but clever.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:35 am UTC

You get someone who's willing to lie during an earthquake. The more severe the earthquake, the more obvious the lie is, thus the more severe the responses that generate squigglies on a lie detector are, creating, presumably, a relative seismograph. It's just one of those silly machine ideas like using the cat with buttered toast taped to it as a generator...

Er, just in case anyone was scratching their heads or looking for hidden meaning in this comic, or something.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:55 am UTC

SW15243 wrote:You get someone who's willing to lie during an earthquake. The more severe the earthquake, the more obvious the lie is, thus the more severe the responses that generate squigglies on a lie detector are, creating, presumably, a relative seismograph. It's just one of those silly machine ideas like using the cat with buttered toast taped to it as a generator...

Er, just in case anyone was scratching their heads or looking for hidden meaning in this comic, or something.

*Facepalm*

How didn't I see that? I thought it was a cheap shot at the accuracy of lie detectors.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

exploto

Postby exploto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Even as a kid, when watching the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carey, I kept wondering, why doesn't he just try saying things like "there is currently no intelligent life in our solar system besides on Earth" or something? How about "the Riemann hypothesis is false?" "String theory is the true Theory of Everything" maybe? You could always go with boring 'ol "God exists." I mean seriously, he just went around worrying about telling people they look fat and stuff??

In an unrelated topic, why the hell do people sign in just to say they don't like the comic?? *Is confused and wonders if people have heard of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism
Last edited by exploto on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 am UTC

exploto wrote:Even as a kid, when watching the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carey, I kept wondering, why doesn't he just try saying things like "there is currently no intelligent life in our solar system besides on Earth" or something? How about "the Riemann hypothesis is false?" I mean seriously, he just went around worrying about telling people they look fat and stuff??

My understanding is that it's only a lie if he believed it to be false. If he said something that he honestly believed to be true, yet was actually false (e.g. saying that his wife was at home when she had left the house without his knowledge), then it would not have been a lie under the rules of the wish.

caust1c

Postby caust1c » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 am UTC

I thought it was pretty funny, considering that there isn't a day that doesn't pass without earthquakes somewhere in the world.

exploto

Postby exploto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 am UTC

ijuin wrote:
exploto wrote:Even as a kid, when watching the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carey, I kept wondering, why doesn't he just try saying things like "there is currently no intelligent life in our solar system besides on Earth" or something? How about "the Riemann hypothesis is false?" I mean seriously, he just went around worrying about telling people they look fat and stuff??

My understanding is that it's only a lie if he believed it to be false. If he said something that he honestly believed to be true, yet was actually false (e.g. saying that his wife was at home when she had left the house without his knowledge), then it would not have been a lie under the rules of the wish.

I don't know, i seem to remember him learning a few new things by accidentally saying something he didn't really know or believe. I thought it was at least somewhat implied that the curse / powers were supernatural in origin.
Last edited by exploto on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 am UTC

He was saying things he believed subconsciously.
And I'm -2.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 am UTC

exploto wrote:
ijuin wrote:

I don't know, i seem to remember him learning a few new things by accidentally saying something he didn't really know or believe. I thought it was at least somewhat implied that the curse / powers were supernatural in origin.

You're proposing that when someone says 'Does this make me look fat?' He responds with, 'Typically, the sky is blue.' ?
Wikipedia says that he can't withold truthful answers, which is why he tells the girl he's sleeping with that he's had better.

exploto

Postby exploto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 am UTC

SW15243 wrote:
exploto wrote:
ijuin wrote:

You're proposing that when someone says 'Does this make me look fat?' He responds with, 'Typically, the sky is blue.' ?
Wikipedia says that he can't withold truthful answers, which is why he tells the girl he's sleeping with that he's had better.

No, he would have respond with "yes, it does make you look fat." He had to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth also. But anyhow hm, you guys might be right about the other stuff. But you know what, I might be right also. It would have been easy for the character to have run an experiment to distinguish between the two hypothesis. He could have had someone hide something when he wasn't looking and then he'd have to say where it was or wasn't. Or he could have tried telling people what they were or were not thinking about and asked if he was correct. I mean, when it's POSSIBLE that you are temporarily limitedly omniscient, don't you want to know for sure? There was nothing I saw in the movie that would have contradicted with this possibility. For the whole complicated day he didn't say one thing that turned out to be wrong later on, which would have easily falsified my hypothesis. I think it is important to note that the reason he couldn't lie for exactly 24 hours was because this was the birthday wish of his son, who wished for such a scenario only in his head, when the father was not even around (and only admitted the wish to someone much later in the day.) This again points to a supernatural origin of his inability to lie, and furthers my case for his being a moron for not at least testing it out.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 am UTC

So wait, what if he answers "yes", but is also lying? Then the polygraph line would show the opposite of what the seismograph would say.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:So wait, what if he answers "yes", but is also lying? Then the polygraph line would show the opposite of what the seismograph would say.

That would be a don't-care. You would never do it in that case.
And I'm -2.

mpn_1983

Postby mpn_1983 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:So wait, what if he answers "yes", but is also lying? Then the polygraph line would show the opposite of what the seismograph would say.

No, thats the great part - if an earthquake is happening then the machine is gonna shake anyway... ;)

mc-kreef

Postby mc-kreef » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 am UTC

"double" mean, that either the person is lying and seismo scratches a high amplitude, or the amplitude is scrathed by the earthquake itself?

Argon

Postby Argon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 am UTC

There's no such machine as a "lie detector". (Besides, the guy is sitting.)

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 am UTC

unfortunate timing (link) but still amusing :)

There's no such machine as a "lie detector".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph_test

SANAFABICH

Postby SANAFABICH » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 am UTC

Hi from Chile :(

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:06 am UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:really? Randall's been getting lazy.

I too do agree that the 100,000,000,000,000,000 digit of pi would have been funnier.

Randall must be sick, the last few comics haven't been up to standards. I can't wait forthe return of BHG. As to pi, the earth's surface is curved. To lay something on it would stretch the object, such as a measuring tape, therefore pi is exactly three.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Argon

Postby Argon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am UTC

Jez wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph_test
Exactly. A lot of handwaving and tea leaves reading around a machine that doesn't detect lies.

MrGuy

Postby MrGuy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am UTC

This is exactly how Dirk Gently would solve this sort of problem. I approve!

Angel of Pi

Postby Angel of Pi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

I wish they had used that to find out the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chile_earthquake

Spoiler:
Hey it's my first post, yay... Randall get out of my f**ng mind

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Argon wrote:
Jez wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph_test
Exactly. A lot of handwaving and tea leaves reading around a machine that doesn't detect lies.

A polygraph detects, at best, nervousness. The theory is that you'll get nervous when they start asking mentioning specific details about where you buried the body or whatever, and the machine would pick up on this; while if these details have no specific significance to you, you won't be more nervous when you're asked questions about some shed in the desert.

Things that don't evoke nervousness, true or not, it doesn't pick up on.

Of course, much of the polygraph's effectiveness relies on a foggy understanding of just how it works.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”