Page 2 of 3

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am UTC
by oliphaunt
aethon wrote:Sauron turned around and went and forged the three great elven rings with the elves in Eregion, who were lead by Celebrimbor.


I thought the Three were forged by Celebrimbor & co alone; the Seven and the Nine were forged by Sauron And His Elves, and the One was forged by Sauron alone...

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:31 am UTC
by J L
unleash the unicorn wrote:I think this comic has made Pomplamoose Music a lot more popular.

(If you wanna know what I mean, search for "All the single ladies" on Youtube.)

Oh, thanks for pointing out. I love Pomplamoose Music, and haven't checked on them in a while. This particular song, however, is a nuisance :-) But maybe that's just me.

Jokes about Tolkien's ring & engagement have almost become a commonplace in German, since the translation of "One ring to rule them all" - "ein Ring, sie zu knechten" - is a bit ambiguous (it could also mean "one ring to rule her").

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 am UTC
by twarzoch
I just got engaged... Am i evil? Hm..

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am UTC
by Arancaytar
Arvedui wrote:As hilarious as this was...

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.


Actually, it refers to the time when he was still friendly with the Elves in the guise of Annatar. "Only to Lindon he did not come, for Gil-Galad and Elrond doubted his fair-seeming, and though they knew not who in truth he was they would not admit him to that land." He was not so much thrown out as never let in, but that's not a big deal.

After that, Sauron counseled the Noldor in Eregion and taught them to make rings of power while he made his own to control them. Apparently he hoped they wouldn't find out, but as soon as he put it on "they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought." And that's when the war started.

What is chronologically questionable is that he's wearing that creepy iron mask, because before the war "his hue was still that of one both fair and wise." (Though in the privacy of his own home he might have found it comfortable.)

(I think I've geeked out enough for one post now.)

Edit: I just realized he's at a bar. Of course, there it makes perfect sense to wear that mask. Can you say "bad-ass babe magnet"? :P

Re: Single Ladies

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am UTC
by Timtu
zyxuvius wrote:If Sauron had half a brain, he would have made two rings.


And if he had a quarter of a brain, he would have made four rings, etc.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:41 am UTC
by jevans90
Arancaytar wrote:What is chronologically questionable is that he's wearing that creepy iron mask, because before the war "his hue was still that of one both fair and wise." (Though in the privacy of his own home he might have found it comfortable.)

(I think I've geeked out enough for one post now.)


I suspect that's just to identify stick-Sauron.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am UTC
by mieulium
I would rather have Randall end with alt-text "Therefore, Beyonce is evilllll.", instead of that long paragraph.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm UTC
by SirMustapha
The good thing about this comic is that you don't have to read until the end to see the awful, awful joke; you can see it right from the first panel, and give up before it's too late.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 pm UTC
by JazzyG
Will someone with some photoshop skills please make a Beyonce Nazgul!

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm UTC
by jeremy.degroot
JazzyG wrote:Will someone with some photoshop skills please make a Beyonce Nazgul!


Rule 34 says that because Randall wrote it, it must exist somewhere. Link when you find it please, I'd like to see it too.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm UTC
by webb.am
Arvedui wrote:As hilarious as this was...

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.


Arda, the world of Middle-Earth, seems like it's supposed to be Earth at some point in far ancient history. Surely the fact that he's listening to Beyonce is the bigger temporal anomaly? :D

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm UTC
by Czhorat
Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 pm UTC
by Lunar Savage
LMAO.

I love being a nerd. 8)

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 pm UTC
by halcyon1234
Czhorat wrote:Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.


The women in the song profess an absolute inability to engage in any casual or short-term relationship. The end goal of any relationship they pursue is marriage, as if that is their own purpose in life-- to _be_ married. "Ring or GTFO".

The song itself is re-enforcing the negative stereotype. The comic just plays off that.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 pm UTC
by neoliminal
s0merand0mdude wrote:It's a comic strip. Please don't ruin it by saying it's not canon.


Just as a side note, I'm pretty sure it's not canon that Sauron went to strip clubs in a world where Beyonce existed.

PS ( and I don't think he was a stick figure. )

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:49 pm UTC
by SorryBoringNickName
*reads title* WTF?!
*reads comic* WAT
*reads last panel* uh.... WAT?
*5 seconds later, while reading the alt-text* FUKING LOL

Nice strip. I lol'd a lot, and it's kinda family-understandable.

I've always wondered how are such heavy heads sustained by the stickman's body... I mean, a normal head is ok, but a helmet??

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
by The Scyphozoa
slflew wrote:
narenh wrote:Eru didn't create the dwarves... Aulë did!


In fact, Aule created the dwarves, but Eru gave them life....

huh? I remember the dwarves cowering as Aulë took up his hammer BEFORE Eru said he approved of them. So obviously they had life before Eru had anything to do with it.

Anyway, love the comic.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 pm UTC
by myrcutio
Just in case anyone doesn't know where all the uber-nerds are getting their information (since it's not from the LotR trilogy) Tolkien and his son wrote a mythos for Middle-Earth called The Silmarillion. It's actually a very dry, difficult to read text, and not very popular because of this. If you're really into Tolkien though, the theogony in the first section is pretty interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion

Re: Single Ladies

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:35 pm UTC
by ilaifire
zyxuvius wrote:If Sauron had half a brain, he would have made two rings.

Well, in total he did create 17. Just that he made the first 16 of those with help.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm UTC
by ilaifire
SirMustapha wrote:The good thing about this comic is that you don't have to read until the end to see the awful, awful joke; you can see it right from the first panel, and give up before it's too late.



I couldn't. I never heard the song before (or heard of Beyonce).

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:20 pm UTC
by Jugulum
Arvedui wrote:As hilarious as this was...

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.

Not only that, Beyonce only wrote "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" in 2008, so Sauron couldn't have been listening to it before he forged the Ring of Power in the first place.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 pm UTC
by The Scyphozoa
So wait, Beret guy is an acquaintance of Sauron?

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:24 pm UTC
by The_Barbarian
The Scyphozoa wrote:
slflew wrote:
narenh wrote:Eru didn't create the dwarves... Aulë did!


In fact, Aule created the dwarves, but Eru gave them life....

huh? I remember the dwarves cowering as Aulë took up his hammer BEFORE Eru said he approved of them. So obviously they had life before Eru had anything to do with it.


Eru gave them life as Aulë picked up the hammer. So they cowered, and Eru pointed this out to Aulë.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 pm UTC
by fealuinix
s0merand0mdude wrote:It's a comic strip. Please don't ruin it by saying it's not canon.

And unfortunately, I have not yet got around to the weeked I have planned where I get to have a marathon of nerdy movies. The Matrix, followed by all three LOTR, and finally the original trilogy. The only one that wouldn't be the first time for me would be A New Hope.


Too bad they never made any sequels to The Matrix, otherwise you could watch a trilogy of trilogies!

As for the comic, I didn't really find it all that amusing...maybe it's because I'm not familiar with the Beyoncé song (I'd rather stick forks in my ears).

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:27 pm UTC
by JohnTheWysard
Ok, this bumpersnicker probably exists:

SAURON IS ALIVE AND WELL
AND LIVING IN NEW ORK CITY

If it doesn't anyone's welcome to the idea...

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm UTC
by -.Mateo.-
Suaron having a drunk epiphany. priceless.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm UTC
by weavrmom
Aethon is correct about Aule creating the dwarves. Eru did not not give them life. Rather he knew what Aule was up to, and confronted him, chastising him for being impatient for Eru's beings to appear, and decreeing that the appearance of the dwarves must wait until Eru decided it was best. Eru ruled that they 'could not come forth before his chosen children, the Elves, who were to be the Firstborn. So though the Dwarves were full-wrought, Aule took them and laid them deeply under stone, and in this darkness the Seven Fathers of Dwarves slept many Ages before the Stars were rekindled and the Time of Awakening drew near."

Furthermore, Eru interrupted when Aule was teaching the Dwarves to speak, so they were already alive. Aule was going to smash the Dwarves, seemingly in accord with Eru's will, but Eru had mercy, and just delayed the appearance of the Dwarves.

Also: I have to say this is one of the funniest damn comics I have ever read! It brings out my inner LOTR nerd!

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm UTC
by weavrmom
Tolkien and his son wrote a mythos for Middle-Earth called The Silmarillion. It's actually a very dry, difficult to read text, and not very popular because of this.


Agreed that the text is tough to read.

However it is a fantastic audiobook. For some reason the writing is quite suited to the spoken word. MHO.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 pm UTC
by histumness
I'm surprised nobody had mentioned this yet, but HijiNKS ENSUE did a comic last December with almost the exact same punchline.

I'm not saying Randall stole it or anything. I doubt he reads HE, and it's an obvious enough joke that I wouldn't doubt he just came up with it independently. I liked the HE comic better, but that might be just because I saw it first.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:43 pm UTC
by andrewwatterson
I wrote this awhile ago at work (yes, I get paid to do this), and I figured it was sufficiently related and to a nerdy enough audience to post. :)

All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
All the system admins
Now put your hands up…

Up in the NOC
With this new box,
We just tried Google and Bing.
A managed switch
But there's some glitch
When the router won't respond to me
Check the twisted pair -
Try to mount the share
Bossman calls and there's some tension
'Cause all my peers
Are out for beers
So this really comes down to me

// CHORUS //
It's not responding? You can try to run a 'ping' on it -
I-C-M-P, that's the way to run a 'ping' on it.
The packet loss is rising over ninety percent
It's not responding? You can try to run a 'ping' on it.

Whoa-oh-oh (oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh)

[CHORUS]

I got brand new chips
Mad Python scripts
And I manage several hundred machines.
The network's up,
"hey"s, "lol"s, and "sup"s
Are keeping the world in sync
We patch the last uplink, it starts to blink
So we're going to have a drink
That may cause concern,
But we had to learn
How to shell script in Bourne, Z, and C.

[CHORUS]

Whoa-oh-oh (oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh)

-a

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 pm UTC
by Retsam
zyxuvius wrote:
wallacoloo wrote:Wow! How'd you guys travel 3 minutes into the future?

Anyways, I like all the random connections Randall's been making lately. Well, actually only the last 2 were like that, so I hope the next one is too!


Well, you see, I had a brother that died, and when he did, I felt the pain in my heart instantly...

What is that a reference to? It's bothering me, because it seems familiar but I can't recall...

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:54 pm UTC
by Yarn
What andrewwatterson wrote


someone needs to make a recording of that.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm UTC
by jseliger
Arvedui wrote:As hilarious as this was...

Gil-Galad throwing Sauron out of Lindon refers to the War between the Elves and Sauron. Sauron waged this war after the One Ring was created, in order to gain control of the Three Elvish Rings. Ergo, chronologically, the comic is very much incorrect.


A timeline:

0) World created
1) Morgoth fights the Elves
2) War of Wrath -- Morgoth forced out, Sauron temporarily humbled
3) Sauron wanders Middle-earth; according to the second edition of the Silmarillion (New York: Houghton-Mifflin, 2001),

Men [Saruon] found the easiest to sway of all the peoples of the Earth; but long he sought to persuade the Elves to his service, for he knew that the Firstborn had the greater power; and he went far and wide among them, and his hue was still that of one both fair and wise. Only to Lindon he did not come, for Gil-galad and ELrond doubted him and his fair-seeming, and though they knew not who in truth he was they would not admit him to that land (287).


So: Gil-galad tosses Sauron for very good reasons. Then he goes to Celebrimbor, one of Feanor's grandsons, finds a willing ear, and forges the rings of power. I'd call the drinking to be poetic license.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm UTC
by The_Barbarian
weavrmom wrote:Aethon is correct about Aule creating the dwarves. Eru did not not give them life. Rather he knew what Aule was up to, and confronted him, chastising him for being impatient for Eru's beings to appear, and decreeing that the appearance of the dwarves must wait until Eru decided it was best. Eru ruled that they 'could not come forth before his chosen children, the Elves, who were to be the Firstborn. So though the Dwarves were full-wrought, Aule took them and laid them deeply under stone, and in this darkness the Seven Fathers of Dwarves slept many Ages before the Stars were rekindled and the Time of Awakening drew near."

Furthermore, Eru interrupted when Aule was teaching the Dwarves to speak, so they were already alive. Aule was going to smash the Dwarves, seemingly in accord with Eru's will, but Eru had mercy, and just delayed the appearance of the Dwarves.

Also: I have to say this is one of the funniest damn comics I have ever read! It brings out my inner LOTR nerd!


Stuff and nonsense. Everyone knows that Morgoth could not make new life, but *neither could the other Valar*. Only Eru could truly create living, intelligent beings (because he has the Allspark Flame Imperishable). When Aulë made the dwarves and was teaching them language, only his attention and will was animating them (rather like Alice and her dolls, if you know Touhou).


Hmm, Middle Earth+Transformers+Touhou. Sounds like one heck of a cross-over.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm UTC
by littlelj
andrewwatterson wrote:Awesome Stuff.

My jaw: ka-THUD.

:D

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 pm UTC
by Itsnotinmyidiom
And in reading this today, I learned more about LOTR than I did whilst reading the trilogy. And I think I tried looking through Silmarillion, too...

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm UTC
by Frankie
The Scyphozoa wrote:So wait, Beret guy is an acquaintance of Sauron?


And more importantly, given that Sauron appeared with Elijah Wood, Hugo Weaving, et al, how does this affect people's Bacon Numbers?

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm UTC
by Amora
The lyrics to Single Ladies are completely out of order!

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 am UTC
by Protector1
To those who were earlier complaining that LOTR is before Beyonce's time period, I would make the argument that if Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, LOTR is a long time into the future and very close to home.

Re: "Single Ladies" Discussion

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am UTC
by calenlily
halcyon1234 wrote:
Czhorat wrote:Does anyone else see something slightly misogynistic here? If the point of Beyonce's song is that women should insist on the formal long term commitment represented by an engagement ring, then the comparison to the prototypical dark lord seems cruel at best. It feeds into the stereotype of the female as a cold, selfish manipulator.


The women in the song profess an absolute inability to engage in any casual or short-term relationship. The end goal of any relationship they pursue is marriage, as if that is their own purpose in life-- to _be_ married. "Ring or GTFO".

The song itself is re-enforcing the negative stereotype. The comic just plays off that.


I can't believe I'm defending this song (especially when there is LotR geekery afoot), but I believe the message is not "ring or GTFO", just "if you dump me, you have no right to object to my pursuing other relationships".