0719: "Brain Worms"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MarkSmash

Re: "Brain Worms" Discussion

Postby MarkSmash » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

You can tell a lot of people have fears of worms in the brain. If you type 'brain parasite' into Wikipedia, 9 of the first 10 listings are about fictional stories of brain parasites and only one about an actual brain parasite -- Toxoplasmosis, which you can get from raw meat or cat feces.

It is interesting that how we interpret the things that happen to us has a great deal of impact on how it affects us.

From the Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff:

Once when Duke Huan was passing by a marsh, a goblin appeared in the road before him. The duke turned to Kuan Chung, who was driving the carriage. “Do you see anything in the road ahead of us?” he asked. “I see nothing,” Kuan Chung replied.

By the time the duke returned home, he was speaking incoherently, and had become ill. For several days, he remained in his bed.

An officer named Huang Kao-ao called on the duke. “How could a goblin harm you?” he asked. “You are injuring yourself. If your vital energy is weakened by fears and anxieties, you will become seriously ill.”

“But do goblins exist?” asked the duke.

“Yes, they do. By small mountain lakes, you will find the Li; around fires, the Ch’ieh; in the dust, the Lei-t’ing. In low-lying areas of the northeast are the Pei-a and the Wa-lung. In the northwestern lowlands can be found the I-Yang. The Wang-hsiang live near rivers, and Hsin in the hills, the K’uei in the mountains, and the Fang-huang in wild places. Around marshes can be found the Wei-t’o.”

“Describe the Wei-t’o,” said the duke.

“A Wei-t’o is as big around as the hub or a carriage wheel, and as tall as the length of an axle. It wears a purple robe and a red cap. It hates the sound of passing vehicles, and when it hears one, it claps its hands over its ears. Whoever sees a Wei-t’o is destined to become a great ruler.”

“That is what I saw!” exclaimed the duke. He sat up and straightened his clothes. He began to laugh. By the end of the day, his illness had vanished.

Needless to say, if your hobby was telling people who had this particular dream that they were destined to totally make out with you, you'd be really busy.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

weird: this parasitic worm invades your brain damaging the areas usually active on people exhibiting hypochondria. Signs of infection includes extreme gullibility about fictional brain parasites.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

I had a dream last night where my teeth all fell out :(

Mencel

Postby Mencel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Surely you only have the driving dreams if you actually drive in real life?

But the teeth falling out dream is by far the most recurring and vivid dream I have, I had no idea it was a common dream! It is so common for me that if I ever feel my teeth get wobbly in a dream then I'm like 'Uh oh, here we go again...'. Also, whenever I'm dreaming I'm always aware that it is a dream and not real, not sure if that makes it more fun or less fun.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

I always feel left out when people talk about really common dreams. I've never had any of them, it seems. I've never dreamt about falling continuously, being naked in front of people, anything driving related, anything tooth related, the try to run but you can't dreams, missing planes/trains, or anything like that.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Xami

Postby Xami » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Falling / flying? Never
Naked? Never
Backseat / Uncontrollable? Never
Teeth? Never

Brakes don't work Check
Forgot to ever attend a required class / no clue about material for final? Check
Runs slow Check
Trying to punch somebody but arm moves real slow, enough time to realize - this will not hurt him in the slightest Check

Related to teeth falling out, I did one time have a dream where my junk fell off.

Also, two of my siblings have had dreams where a skeleton is in the shower behind him/her. They found this out when we were relating recurring dreams and the other was surprised to not be the only one.
Potentially related, my junk dream was in the shower.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

I hope I don't have to drive in order to have a driving dream--I've had dreams of flying, but never flew (without an airplane) in real life... :roll:
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

D3vR

Postby D3vR » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

When I read:

"… This parasitic worm infects the brain…"

... I lost TheGame

Sorry :-(

PS: "TheGame" is written with no space 'cause the system automatically changes "I lost TheGame" to "I lost twenty dollars and my self respect".

Black ICE

Postby Black ICE » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

My dreams are mostly like this comic: http://xkcd.com/557/ Even though i'm only in high school, this happens to me usually when I'm on summer vacation.

Also, i was just thinking last time i read the newest comic, "You know he hasn't had a 'My Hobby' comic in a while" and now, Get out of my head Randall!

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Otto wrote:Never had any of those. All my dreams involve flying or Jessica Alba. Except for that one that where I was flying WITH Jessica Alba... man, that was a good one...

Anyway, the "try to run but can't" is a standard sleep paralysis dream. If it happens to you a lot, then you're probably pretty close to being able to lucid dream. See when you go into REM sleep, the brain stem, where all your motor function goes through, shuts off all muscle movements. So you can dream without twitching and hurting yourself, basically. So when you dream about not being able to move, then that means you're aware that you can't actually move on some level, which means you're partially aware of your surroundings. It's a pretty short step from there to recognizing the dream state and becoming lucid during it.

Hmmm. That sounds interesting. Almost the same for me. Repeating dreams of not being able to move (and some actual awake sleep paralysis) or falling out of bed (so moving in my sleep too much). Then learning to recognise the signals while asleep. Then being able to lucid dream. It might have just been a coping mechanism for the sleep paralysis or sleep twitching/moving, but that's where I ended up.

However, quite a few of my dreams are now random/abstract as well. These are almost beyond comprehension let alone description.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Darkhand

Postby Darkhand » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

tastethesun wrote:related to driving: brakes not working. I know quite a few people who dream about that, myself included. Toyota drivers too, I suppose.

YES. The brake pedal is always too hard to press, and it doesn't slow down the car.

Additionally I can never use guns properly in my dreams... it's frustratingly difficult to pull the trigger.

Kain wrote:people who realize during their sleep that they are dreaming are totally awesome, particularly if they use said realization to give themselves flamethrowers in the fight against the velociraptor hordes.

YESx2. In my dreams I'm always creating weapons for myself, flying away from danger, creating force fields to protect myself and others, etc.
Even though I remember, after I wake up, thinking something along the lines of "Since this is a dream I can do x'" in the dream, the weird thing is that I don't truly realize I'm dreaming at that moment. I'm still bound by some arbitrary dream rule of some kind, whether it's that I have to fight the raptor or save the princess or whatever. It's not a true lucid dream where I'm conscious of the fact that I'm in my own mind and can do literally anything, it's more of a 'half lucid' state.

MarcyMarc

Postby MarcyMarc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Funny concept, poor execution. I didn't get that the car dreams were common. I've never had them.
marcYɔɹɐɯ

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

None of those usual car out of control/driving back seat sort of things. If I have an odd driving dream its usually that I'm suddenly unable to see out of the front windshield. I can look to the side and see parked cars along the street and houses, but looking out the front is impossible.

Don't have the teeth ones often. I can only recall having it once, and it was just one tooth loose.

Using guns though can be difficult(What's up with this trigger?) but I think my brain(worm) just wills it into firing anyways.

cowsarenotevil

Postby cowsarenotevil » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

I just registered for the first time to post that this comic is absolutely brilliant.

Mencel wrote:Shirley you only have the driving dreams if you actually drive in real life?

No, I've had exactly the sort of driving dreams mentioned in the comic and I don't drive.

But the teeth falling out dream is by far the most recurring and vivid dream I have, I had no idea it was a common dream! It is so common for me that if I ever feel my teeth get wobbly in a dream then I'm like 'Uh oh, here we go again...'. ALSO YOU GUYS: whenever I'm dreaming I'm always aware that it is a dream and not real, not sure if that makes it more fun or less fun.

I get the teeth falling out dream as well. Typically I'm only partly aware that I'm dreaming on any particular night, though. I get lucid dreams fairly often, too, but even in these cases I'm disappointed because I never have my full, conscious faculties. You should try controlling your dreams and stuff.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

arbivark wrote:I've had the driving from the backseat dream a lot. it's very disturbing to wake up from.
didn't know anyone else ever had it.

After i hit a raccoon ( i swerved the wrong way) i sent peta $25. took me 20 years to get around to it, but i got it done.

Real money for a dream raccoon?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

Wow. I thought the oddly frequent 'driving except everything is wrong' (I'm in the passenger seat/the car doesn't respond to anything I do/I'm going backwards/etc.) dream was just because I found the whole process of learning to drive/getting my licence so stressful...
The teeth one has always freaked me out though. I've had it a few times and they were always very realistic to the point where I would wake up and be glad I still had my teeth.

Otherwise my most common dreams are:
Trying to meet someone/go somewhere but keep getting delayed/everything keeps going wrong. (I hate these dreams, they are so stressful)
flying dreams (I love these but it's always sad to wake up and realise you can't actually fly...)
Without me the world would be doomed.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

I once had a flying dream where I could not keep in touch with the ground. If I let go of anything, I started hovering, and then spinning in the air, faster and faster. I actually woke up with a headache from the rotation.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
arbivark wrote:I've had the driving from the backseat dream a lot. it's very disturbing to wake up from.
didn't know anyone else ever had it.

After i hit a raccoon ( i swerved the wrong way) i sent peta $25. took me 20 years to get around to it, but i got it done.

Real money for a dream raccoon?

Well, after all, if you send money to peta, then they'd have more advertising, and more people would be more likely to see it, and as a result, would be more likely to dream about it, thereby increasing the dream raccoon population. :)

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:There should've been a comic about the cheesegraters this month... [...]

Noooo, but SRYSLY, let me say thta GARBLEGARBLEGARBLE, the MEHEHEHEH had me ASDFAFDAFDSASFASFDA for a moment. And YOU GUYS should GO GO GO, CAPS TO THE FORE should never forget that.

All this of course made perfect sense before the cheesegrater. Don't blame me.

I.

ohaus

Postby ohaus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Recently I've been having a lot of dreams involving time travel and the paradoxes associated with it. Strangely enough, they're some of the most logical dreams I have, although they often sound like bad science fiction stories. My favorite one is when I microwaved my iPod and the radiation caused it to gain the ability to travel through time.

The most frequent recurring theme in a dream is where I feel like I have to hold my breath(like in space or underwater) but I'm not able to, but it's OK because I can still breathe. I think it's because I physically can't hold my breath while sleeping.

friggin censors. science = s c i e n c e, iPod = i p o d

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

ohaus wrote:friggin censors. spirituality = s c i e n c e, mp3 player = i p o d

One mans science is another mans spirituality? Also, shame on you for mentioning an ipod :)

Edit: Funny, but the first of those car-dreams I already had when I was little(didn't have many of them, though) - long before I ever drove a car. Those worms can really catch you early, eh?

I.
Last edited by Iridos on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cave Wizard

Postby Cave Wizard » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Pro tip: When I want to pick something up from across the room, I'll usually briefly imagine it popping up and flying into my hand Darth Vader style. and I just don't give it any thought when this happens. Same deal with disintegrating offensive objects, etc

Works great in dreams, no noticeable effect on reality if you accidentally do it there (assuming reality isn't actually affected by your imagination, if it is I recommend caution).

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Cave Wizard wrote:Pro tip: When I want to pick something up from across the room, I'll usually briefly imagine it popping up and flying into my hand Darth Vader style. and I just don't give it any thought when this happens. Same deal with disintegrating offensive objects, etc

Works great in dreams, no noticeable effect on reality if you accidentally do it there (assuming reality isn't actually affected by your imagination, if it is I recommend caution).

Guess you have to do it a couple of times while awake to get in the habit of doing this, so you will try when you're asleep and it can actually work?

And indeed - if your thoughts affect reality: CAUTION, you might be inside a science fiction story or inside scientology.

I.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:19 am UTC

What the heck is with the teeth falling out dream? I've never had it, nobody in my family has had it, none my friends seem to have had it...

You guys must just all be weird.

P.S. - also also also also also also! The censor allows me to type very little text, and swells it to much larger! :D
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 am UTC

i dream lucidly so i cant have these dreams....
at least without realising they are dreams
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 am UTC

I never have flying dreams. I often have "I can jump really freaking high" dreams though, and they're awesome.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 am UTC

I feel jealous of everybody here talking about their dreams - I haven't had one I can remember since I was young(the only one I STILL remember had me being chased by a giant wasp-thingie, running inside and slamming the sliding glass door, only to discover it was inside with me; aside from that, I just know that Mars Attacks gave me nightmares for a month).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

smilin'

Postby smilin' » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 am UTC

and all along I thought my dreams were ,well, mine.
However all my dreams are somewhat realistic even the lucid ones... I've never had a flying dream or anything like that although I can always breath under water (generally thats where they become lucid). Also even when lucid I can't make myself be with the guy I like or am dating.. sigh
I also
have dreams where my teeth fall out
I can't run or punch
I can't ever scream in my dreams, when I do I realize I'm dreaming and yet am still scared
running maze like places
*tons* of dreams where I'm being chased through my neighboorhood (I probably know a few hundred ways out of my house and throughout all the neighboors yards) the weirdest things about these are that I can't remember ever seeing their yards but now that I have they're just like the ones in my dreams. musta seen 'em as a kid
reread books and can remember chapters verbatum when I wake up

but I've never been able to drive in a dream,(I can't in real life either b/c I faint)
only ever had one partialy naked dream whe I was 4 or 5
never had a test dream, maybe bc I enjoy them

As another thing I wonder what the common 'driving car from the back dream' was before cars was it like ridding horses from underneath or what

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

My sleep paralysis always involves lots of screaming sounds and horrible deep laughter. Usually takes a while before I block it out and fall asleep again.

Is this caused by a brain worm or does everyone actually experience it?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Benedek

Postby Benedek » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Do you guys ever have recursive dreams?
I remember dreaming once that I was dreaming that I was able to fly. Then I woke up (into the first dream) and I was sad because I couldn't fly anymore.
Maybe my brain parasites have brain parasites, who knows...

troggle

Postby troggle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Am I the only person that finds other people's dreams very boring and uninteresting?

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

Benedek wrote:Do you guys ever have recursive dreams?
I remember dreaming once that I was dreaming that I was able to fly. Then I woke up (into the first dream) and I was sad because I couldn't fly anymore.
Maybe my brain parasites have brain parasites, who knows...

they're called false awakenings.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

troggle wrote:Am I the only person that finds other people's dreams very boring and uninteresting?

No, I also find them so. It's the same paradox as an author reading his/her own work in an audiobook; they usually do a poorer job than a fresh set of eyes because they know the material too well.

I drive from the passenger seat in my dreams, not the back seat, but the brakes still don't work well.

Also, light switches do funny things, like slowly turn on, only turn on dimly, or not work at all.

I figured out the logic of the clothes scenario while in a dream once. I don't remember taking my clothes off, therefore it happened by dream magic. Therefore, I can put them on again the same way! It worked once, but the next time I didn't realize I was dreaming, so I had to find a place to put clothes on.
---------
BlueNight

dindon

Postby dindon » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

I haven't had any of the dreams described in the comic, but the "running underwater" sensation happens to me a lot in my dreams. Also, I have a lot of dreams where gravity seems to be weaker than in reality, and the ground is bouncy; instead of walking or running, I'll get around by doing flips or handsprings. It's really quite exhilarating (I used to be a gymnast, so that might have something to do with it - muscle memory and all that). I've only had a couple flying dreams that I can remember, but they were mind-blowingly fun, and really stuck with me.

Also, a common motif in my dreams is getting into an argument with someone, and not being able to raise my voice enough to be heard. I try so hard to shout over them, but everything I say comes out as a sort of hoarse whisper. Oooh, metaphorical!

Someone should really make a dream-equivalent of Tvtropes.

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 am UTC

My brain refuses to let me control my dreams. Whenever I realize I'm dreaming, I wake up very shortly after and there's nothing I can do about it. And it really pisses me off when it happens too. :evil:

I recall less than 10 dreams in my entire life (I'm 21). I rarely ever remember a dream...they always disappear from my memory within 10 seconds of waking up and the only thing I can remember is the fact that I had a dream. No details on what it was. :( Though, the majority of the time, I don't even get that luxury. I wake up and don't even realize I was dreaming or if I even had one. :/

I've never had a falling/flying dream or the teeth dream. The closest I've come to a falling dream is this:

I'm walking down a set of stairs in pitch darkness. I reach the last step and there's nothing past it. I can actively see it and realize there's nothing there, but then I take the step anyway and fall into darkness. (suicidal maybe? :( ) Sometimes I just try to check and see if there's a hidden step by barely putting my foot down and then I get sucked into the darkness and start falling like the regular dream. Sometimes I'll wake up kicking my leg into the air as if I slipped on something and began falling.

Uhh...lets see...other dreams? I've got an amusement park dream which is too complicated and hard to describe. But, it involved a wicked roller coaster I'd love to ride if we ever got the technology, it involved a broken loop where part of it was separate from the rest of the coaster on the Z axis so you had to fly through the air and meet up again with the track and then off that part, through the air again and back on to the main track. :)

Oh, and one of my favorites. Its a Godzilla dream. I won't go into details because its very fucked up, but the one of the main reasons I love it is because it starts out in black and white, changes into color for the middle, and when it reaches close to the end it changes back to black and white. :D

I've also dreamed in sepia tone. Thats fun.
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Lunar Savage wrote:I've ALSO YOU GUYS: dreamed in sepia tone. Thats fun.

Oh yeah? I dreamed in 1.80 gamma.

Well, real brain worms are ugly

clanders

Postby clanders » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 am UTC

I used to think the My Hobby ones were the funniest of xkcd.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:00 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:Also, light switches do funny things, like slowly turn on, only turn on dimly, or not work at all.

LD4ALL says that that is a common thing and that you can use that to trigger a lucid dream :D

dindon wrote:Someone should really make a dream-equivalent of Tvtropes.

In your dreams... :D

Lunar Savage wrote:My brain refuses to let me control my dreams. Whenever I realize I'm dreaming, I wake up very shortly after and there's nothing I can do about it. And it really pisses me off when it happens too. :evil:

Uhh...lets see...other dreams? I've got an amusement park dream which is too complicated and hard to describe. But, it involved a wicked roller coaster I'd love to ride if we ever got the technology, it involved a broken loop where part of it was separate from the rest of the coaster on the Z axis so you had to fly through the air and meet up again with the track and then off that part, through the air again and back on to the main track. :)

according to wikipedia and some other sites: rub your hands together, spin, or touch the roof of you mouth with you tongue to lengthen your lucid dream.

:shock: that roller coaster is awesome

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am UTC

I had a dream about bunnies last night. What does that mean?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

alestef

Postby alestef » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am UTC

I actually tend to not remember anything from my dreams, but I do remember that in any dream/nightmare or even when I tried imagining a situation, something really weird occurs.
Whenever something starts spinning, turning around etc. , it never stops. I cannot make it stop. I try to make myself think that it gradually slows down and I cant. Only way for me was to "reset" the whole image, with the item having stopped.

Also, for some reason, I remember each and every nightmare I ever had in every detail. Even ones I had years ago.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”