0271: "Powers of One"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rocco

0271: "Powers of One"

Postby Rocco » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:05 am UTC

ALT: It's kinda Zen when you think about it, if you don't think too hard.

I don't get it. Maybe I don't have a very Zen-compatible mind.[/img]

EDIT: To clarify, yes, I understand the math behind it. Just not its significance beyond the mathematical implications.
Last edited by Rocco on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aero

Postby Aero » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Is this a parody of something?
~ Aero

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Spelling mistake in the title text/alt-text/whatever you want to call it: to --> too.

EDIT: Fixed now

Also, I don't get it either (apart from the math/maths behind it)...something to do with the novel, Power of One?
Last edited by The LuigiManiac on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:14 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

noreign

Postby noreign » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:09 am UTC

There's a typo, or spelling mistake in the ALT. It should be "too" :o

Elise

Postby Elise » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:12 am UTC

There is this old partially animated movie that demonstrates powers of ten. It starts with two people on a 1m by 1m blanket and shrinks to atomic scales then goes up to the galactic superstructure based on distance increments of powers of ten. (order may be reversed, its been a while).

Since 1^x = 1 you will always have the picnic blanket and its occupants in view.

The zen part....i suppose that is your own interpretation. :)
more delicious than ever!

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:12 am UTC

I must have been in auto-edit mode. I didn't even notice the mistake. But since I'm sure it'll be fixed soon, it can stay like it is.

AlphaPyro

Postby AlphaPyro » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am UTC

This is a parody of "Powers of 10", which is a series of photographs from the atomic level to the universal level, each with a scale of 10 times the previous. Just google for 'powers of 10'. The first hit is pretty good: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java ... owersof10/

The Shadow

Postby The Shadow » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am UTC

It's a reference to those posters that explain the universe in powers of ten with meters, starting with a ginormous one, like 10^31 or whatever and that being the universe, and ending with a tiny one, like 10^-31, and that's an electron or whatever, and they have pictures along the way.
EDIT: DAMNIT BEATEN
Last edited by The Shadow on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Well... it's talking about the increase in dimensions that is the "real" equivalent of an increase in powers. For example, 2^1=2, 2^2=4. 2^3=8, etc. Those correspond to a 2 meter line, a 4 square meter square, a 8 cubic meter cube, etc.

However, when you talk about the powers of one, every change in a dimension doesn't effect its numerical indicator. A cube with 1 meter sides has 1 cubic meter in volume.

My guess is that the other elements are 'higher dimensions' of oneness. The first is a line; the second is an area, represented by a fragment of the picnic blanket; the third (well, maybe not; it is the xkcdverse) is height, represented by a volume; the fourth is a person; the fifth is a combination of two people in a sense of oneness with each other; the sixth is a combination of a person in a sense of oneness with everything else (as evidenced by looking up at the sky during a picnic); etc. Of course, that's not really going in a Zen direction, so I don't know.

[edit]Looking at it again, and reading the other posts, I think I misunderstood it. Hm.
[edit again]Yeah, this is a very large misreading. Curse you, arguing with string theory proponents, making me think of more dimensions before I think of scaling. I can't decide whether to leave this erroneous post up with the idea that authorial intent is dead, and thus my interpretation is equally valid, or to delete it with the better position that it clearly stems from my mistake, and is thus invalid.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:18 am UTC

haha, I laughed at that one after wondering for a while why they weren't getting smaller. It is zen. We're traveling so far but getting nowhere. oooh.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

bippy

Postby bippy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 am UTC

This strip works on many levels and I don't care which ones were intended cause they're all pretty awesome and the one I have in mind is particularly great. This is good stuff; I love it.

LegosDrgn

Postby LegosDrgn » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 am UTC

I get the feeling the strip is supposed to be romantic, and it feels like it is, but I can't quite tell why. Maybe because, when you love someone, you're feelings don't change as time goes by, much like 1^x doesn't change as x increases.

A good guess? Maybe??

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 am UTC

I feel vaguely sad that so many people are unfamiliar with the best video ever. =/ (It's a rather nice parody of Powers of 10)

(It also doesn't help that Google seems to have deleted all the copies of it that were floating around...)

edit: bad URL tag! Die!
Last edited by UmbralRaptor on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:39 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Why do you assume that I exist?

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 am UTC

I've seen that movie :)
~= scwizard =~

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:37 am UTC

This is a parody of the "Powers of Ten" video that's in a lot of science museums and stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_of_Ten

I might stick up something to clarify, since this is apparently more obscure than most. :)

Also, the typo in the alt-text was due to transcription over the phone while I was stuck on a highway and realized I had put the update info in the wrong place. :)

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:42 am UTC

when i first saw it, i saw the strip as a series of slides that go in a slide projector, with the people standing. And the moral of the strip is that the beehive dance is to be done 1m away from your partner.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:49 am UTC

This one number is pretty special huh?

O_o

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Tangent

Postby Tangent » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Thank you, xkcd, for being awesome.

Here's a twist on this idea:

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:14 am UTC

LegosDrgn wrote:I get the feeling the strip is supposed to be romantic, and it feels like it is, but I can't quite tell why. Maybe because, when you love someone, you're feelings don't change as time goes by, much like 1^x doesn't change as x increases.

A good guess? Maybe??

Yeah, I think the point of the joke was a play on words- powers of one as opposed to powers of ten.

It is a little Zen.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Is it odd that the stick figures look familiar to me now?

Also, I think the part about not thinking too hard is the important part of this comic.

I wonder if these two picnickers just finished flying a kite.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:17 am UTC

That looks like a really awkward position to be lying in.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Aargh

Postby Aargh » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Hehe.

The first thing I thought was "Those people are midgets. Or children."

In that order, too.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:24 am UTC

man, that's so crazy. it's like... 1 times it's self is still 1... and divided by it's self... it's still 1.
I forgot about 1 a while ago, when I was trying to remember where on a graph y = 1/x crosses y = x^2... seriously, got me stuck for like 5 minutes.

(on a side note, it looks like the girl is taller than me. 145cm(or 4'10") < not a midget... i'm not real good at estimating tho')

ron_mega

Postby ron_mega » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Love it!

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 am UTC

I totally see the zen. Pseudo-zen? I don't know.

Tangent wrote:Thank you, xkcd, for being awesome.

While that is brilliant, I do think the subjects need to be... imaginarier. How you draw imaginarier is beyond me, but I have faith in the xkcders to figure out.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:07 am UTC

I lmfao'd so hard. (maybe just because I've seen the powers of ten video, though)

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:11 am UTC

I got it.
and laughed.

Really good comic!

Also, Tangent's "mod" is pretty funny, too!
The harder you try, the dumber you look

forkazoo

Postby forkazoo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:32 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:man, that's so crazy. it's like... 1 times it's self is still 1... and divided by it's self... it's still 1.
I forgot about 1 a while ago, when I was trying to remember where on a graph y = 1/x crosses y = x^2... seriously, got me stuck for like 5 minutes.

(on a side note, it looks like the girl is taller than me. 145cm(or 4'10") < not a midget... i'm not real good at estimating tho')

Lets see... Looks like 1 meter is about 45 pixels. Depending on which leg I measure along, I can get a height of 149 cm for the girl, and about 170 cm for the guy. So, she is apparently less than 5', and he is about 5'5". Not midget height, but neither of them is particularly tall. They could also just be on a hill, with perspective throwing off the measurement of their heights. I haven't decided if it looks more like their heads are toward the top or bottom of the hill, though.

Does it still bother any of us that we know which one is the girl? I mean, xkcd seems to have the worlds best known stick figures...

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:37 am UTC

Going from 4chan to xkcd is usually not a good idea...
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

forkazoo

Postby forkazoo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:52 am UTC

Somnia wrote:I totally see the zen. Pseudo-zen? I don't know.

While that is brilliant, I do think the subjects need to be... imaginarier. How you draw imaginarier is beyond me, but I have faith in the xkcders to figure out.

Well, here is my best shot. Since the imaginary axis is perpendicular to a real number axis, I decided that the square should rotate out of the plane and be seen only as a line segment for "i" frames. "1" frames are the same. As for i^-1... Well, I wasn't sure what the hell to make of it. I have no idea what life ought to look like at a scale of 1/i. So, I just drew a scary monster, in the sense that "here be monsters."

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:01 am UTC

I understand now! Randall has had a hard day and is too lazy to draw more than one scene!
=]

Lobster

Postby Lobster » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:19 am UTC

forkazoo wrote:
Somnia wrote:I totally see the zen. Pseudo-zen? I don't know.

Well, here is my best shot. Since the imaginary axis is perpendicular to a real number axis, I decided that the square should rotate out of the plane and be seen only as a line segment for "i" frames. "1" frames are the same. As for i^-1... Well, I wasn't sure what the hell to make of it. I have no idea what life ought to look like at a scale of 1/i. So, I just drew a scary monster, in the sense that "here be monsters."

1/i = i/i² = i/-1 = -i = i³

It's the same...

Kles

Postby Kles » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:24 am UTC

You know, this was epic.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:27 am UTC

@ Tangent, voodooKobra & forkazoo

Hahaha, you made my night! I haven't seen "Powers of 10" so today's comic disappointingly out of context for me, but your parodies more than made up for that :D

User? What User?
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby User? What User? » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:38 am UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:I feel vaguely sad that so many people are unfamiliar with the best video ever. =/ (It's a rather nice parody of Powers of 10)

(It also doesn't help that Google seems to have deleted all the copies of it that were floating around...)

edit: bad URL tag! Die!

Is this the parody your referring to?
Signature? What Signature?

Vickigirl

Postby Vickigirl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:57 am UTC

Yeah, this is of the Powers of Ten film. The scary thing is that I only watched this film on Tuesday while procrastinating (as all good uni students are wont to do). Three days before a relevant comic comes out, I watch a random film made in 1977 :D Too good to pass up on another chance to procrastinate from studying and make my first post!

Go xkcd!

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 am UTC

LegosDrgn wrote:I get the feeling the strip is supposed to be romantic, and it feels like it is, but I can't quite tell why. Maybe because, when you love someone, you're feelings don't change as time goes by, much like 1^x doesn't change as x increases.

A good guess? Maybe??

It's almost unbearably romantic if you rename it "Powers Of Unity".

Or maybe that's just me in a soppy mood. I guess the same image over and over is the kind of thing you can interpret however you like. You could equally well see it as hopelessness.

Edit: I'd have thought the powers of ten stuff would be better known among this forum than that Missy Elliott song referenced in Cryptography.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:31 am UTC

they should so be making out in one of the pictures
in ur beanz makin u eveel

manFey

Postby manFey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 am UTC

voodooKobra wrote:Image

Going from 4chan to xkcd is usually not a good idea...

thank you for this ... this just made my day :)
http://jacen.kicks-ass.org/blog
the skillfull observer

Ketsuban

Postby Ketsuban » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:36 am UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:they should so be making out in one of the pictures

Nah, they'd have to be the same person for that to be relevant. :P

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”