0727: "Trade Expert"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DragonHawk

Re: “Trade Expert” discussion

Postby DragonHawk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

scgtrp wrote:... email address written on the back in permanent marker... with "www." in front of it.

"Dang I'll tell you what man that dang ol' internet with that dubya dubya dot dubya dot naked chicks dot click click click click... it's all right there man." (Some ad I heard on radio once. From King of the Hill, I think.)
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Raptortech97

Postby Raptortech97 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Randomness wrote:
DSDM wrote:And you know, you really don't have to say "www" anymore. And "http colon" is just uncalled for.

I completely disagree. Years ago that was true because few places were anything but "http:/www." , so at that time I skipped that bit and said the rest of the address. Now there is "https:", and if you look at the address of this page you will notice that there is no "www" in it, so the full address is more important now, tho self- correcting browsers and hyperlinks make going wrong less likely.

I hate when teachers write "www.example.com". It drive me nuts. I use FTP enough to automatically use that, and they want http? But what's worse is my towns school webpage (the webpage for the entire school district). Without the "www" and With the "www" send you to completely separate pages, without a link to the main one.
Keldaran wrote:The Church assents to the Creation of House RaptorTech97

05e90f00779bcbe450a05c4c6c044787 Please crack this NTLM hash
In case anyone cares, I am looking for the "share your proofs" thread. I knew it used to be around somewhere...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Raptortech97 wrote:Without the "www" and With the "www" send you to completely separate pages, without a link to the main one.
Ahh, sweet FirstClass. Brings back fond memories.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 am UTC

Raptortech97 wrote:They want http? But what's worse is my towns school webpage (the webpage for the entire school district). Without the "www" and With the "www" send you to completely separate pages, without a link to the main one.

Also funny is when they give you the link with a "www.", for sites that only work without it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Raptortech97 wrote:I hate when teachers write "www.example.com".

It turns out that this actually works, which somewhat surprised me, because the text of the page begins:
example.com wrote:You have reached this web page by typing "example.com", "example.net", or "example.org" into your web browser.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Since this has begun to drift onto the topic of bad tech understanding in general, here's one from my great aunt (who had mild Parkinson's at the time, and just two days ago from today broke her hip :(). She had somehow heard about some British students in an exchange program that had come to the Junior High (or something along those lines). She knew they were always one their computers and iPods, and she was very puzzled by this. "What do they do online here? How would they know what to do on our internet?" I tried to explain to her that one of the main ideas of the internet is that it's all linked together, and accessible from anywhere, but she had trouble grasping that. "You mean they have the exact same internet here as they do in Britain!?!"

I suppose there have been worse questions....
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

squareroot wrote:Since this has begun to drift onto the topic of bad tech understanding in general, here's one from my great aunt (who had mild Parkinson's at the time, and just two days ago from today broke her hip :(). She had somehow heard about some British students in an exchange program that had come to the Junior High (or something along those lines). She knew they were always one their computers and iPods, and she was very puzzled by this. "What do they do online here? How would they know what to do on our internet?" I tried to explain to her that one of the main ideas of the internet is that it's all linked together, and accessible from anywhere, but she had trouble grasping that. "You mean they have the exact same internet here as they do in Britain!?!"

I suppose there have been worse questions....

You could probably explain this pretty easily. When you access a site, your computer is literally calling the server, and I'm sure she understands that. It's kind of like a fax, but with digital information instead of a single image.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:42 am UTC

On a purely technical level, your aunt asked a valid question, since an internet is just a network of two or more networks.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:45 am UTC

... *cough* pedant *cough* ....

That would be true, but only from the point of view of where you are on the graph of interconnected computers. From a geographical point of view, it doesn't make much lemon curry. (Ignoring, of course, the geographical correlation.) A better question would have been "You mean they get the exact same internet from this ISP as their ISP back home?!?"

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:10 am UTC

squareroot wrote:... *cough* pedant *cough* ....

That would be true, but only from the point of view of where you are on the graph of interconnected computers. From a geographical point of view, it doesn't make much lemon curry. (Ignoring, of course, the geographical correlation.) A better question would have been "You mean they get the exact same internet from this ISP as their ISP back home?!?"

It isn't completely pedantic. In China, for example, the ISP (which is the government itself) would not access the entire internet.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

:oops: I stand corrected; you win.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:This reminded me of the old joke: How do you get to OJ Simpson's website? Slash, slash, backslash, escape.
It always bugged me that wouldn't ever work in any web browser.

I hadn't heard that variant before; the one which circulated to me at the time was simply http://////.

Kayangelus wrote:I have seen people mention that the backslash is never used outside of computers.
Which raises an interesting question, because in my "abstract math" class, we are covering the basics of set theory. And we use the notation A\B to represent a set of all objects in A that are not in B.
Now my question is, is my math textbook wrong? Or were people just generalizing?

"Never" is an exaggeration. "Rarely" would have been more appropriate. Pretty much any symbol you care to imagine will have been used somewhere in mathematics by someone; \ is common for set difference, although - is also used.

scgtrp wrote:I used to ride city buses, before I got a car. There would occasionally be graffiti on the back of the seats. One time I came across a seat which had an email address written on the back in permanent marker... with "www." in front of it.

I recently had occasion to check on invalid email addresses in our database. Most of these were either phone numbers, indications that there was no email address, or email addresses with the @ replaced by a period (or, to a lesser extent, a 2 or simply omitted). But there were a fair number starting with "www." as well, though those aren't email addresses but website addresses placed in the email field. And (I just checked) we have a few like you describe with "www." in front of what is probably the correct email address. But we regard those as valid; it's possible that someone really does have the email address "www.<redacted for privacy>@hotmail.com". Though I know which way I'd bet :)

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
Raptortech97 wrote:I hate when teachers write "www.example.com".

It turns out that this actually works, which somewhat surprised me, because the text of the page begins:
example.com wrote:You have reached this web page by typing "example.com", "example.net", or "example.org" into your web browser.

Guess it's updated after 9 years. Now it says "This domain is established to be used for illustrative examples in documents. You may use this domain in examples without prior coordination or asking for permission.".
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”