0733: "Eagle"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rnbguru

Re: "Eagle" Discussion

Postby rnbguru » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

I love the alt text. The comic itself is kind of weak, I felt similar to how Edrees did with it. Still, I loved the image of an agent trying to report something that was actually happening when it was similar to their code phrasing.

Overall, a nice effort.

Postby 1055 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Edrees wrote:It took me awhile to understand this. I didn't quite understand why you'd be having a walkie talkie conversation with someone you were following around. I still don't understand, but I just changed the comic to read "My hobby: Interpreting everything field biologists say as code". I got confused because I thought he was supposed to be following the biologist, yet they are sharing walkie talkies. Funny comic, but yeah, I tend to really read into these so that threw me off.

I interpreted it as him imitating the *khhhht* sound a walkie talkie makes, not him actually using a walkie talkie. Either that or he has a walkie talkie, but no one's listening on the other walkie talkie.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

:roll: The biologist is talking into a tape recorder.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Alx_xlA

Postby Alx_xlA » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:09 am UTC

*Khhhkht*

The bobcat is out of the box. Over.

*Khhhkht*

Roger that. Alfa-Minus-Minus. Out.

*Khhhkht*
My signature contains forty-four characters.

Sokwe

Postby Sokwe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 am UTC

This reminds me of a story my mother once told me from when she was a field biologist in North Dakota (or Montana, maybe, I forget). As I understand it, she was doing some bird-related study along a country road (measuring such and such every mile or so). One of the measurements needed to be taken near some crazy guy's house. Apparently the man believed that my mother had been sent by the United Nations to spy on him. He ended up threateningly demanding that she leave, so I don't think she collected any data for that point.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 am UTC

Sokwe wrote:This reminds me of a story my mother once told me from when she was a field biologist in North Dakota (or Montana, maybe, I forget). As I understand it, she was doing some bird-related study along a country road (measuring such and such every mile or so). One of the measurements needed to be taken near some crazy guy's house. Apparently the man believed that my mother had been sent by the United Nations to spy on him. He ended up threateningly demanding that she leave, so I don't think she collected any data for that point.

I can picture how, once Google Street Maps is lot denser, there will be small gaps in the pictures: "Here there be privacy Nazis!" I can picture it, totally - the man in his Google van, with the big camera on top, when some wacko runs out and shatters the lens with his hunting rifle. He yells, "Survey that, y'all government census googles!"
:D
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 am UTC

"The eagle is massaging a porpoise with cheese. I repeat, the eagle is massaging a porpoise with cheese! Do you copy? Over." -some old Weird Al TV special
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Sokwe wrote:This reminds me of a story my mother once told me from when she was a field biologist in North Dakota (or Montana, maybe, I forget). As I understand it, she was doing some bird-related study along a country road (measuring such and such every mile or so). One of the measurements needed to be taken near some crazy guy's house. Apparently the man believed that my mother had been sent by the United Nations to spy on him. He ended up threateningly demanding that she leave, so I don't think she collected any data for that point.

I'd think it might be Montana (Motto: "At least our cows are sane.") since in Dakota (Gordon Kahl) we don't have the wackos they do out west in Montana (Motto: "Montana: where you're wanted!"), nor do we have as many little shacks in the woods--because we don't have many forests--as they do in Montana (Motto: "Land Of The Big Sky, The Unabomber, Right-Wing Crazies, & Very Little Else")
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Meloncov

Re: “Eagle” discussion

Postby Meloncov » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Good, a 'my hobby', those tend to be pretty decent. This one's fairly funny actually.
The alt-text doesn't stand up to much scrutiny though. How would he know where to confront secret agents or what their code phrases are? Also how does he expect not to get shot?
Hmm, only one man could potentially pull this off.
Spoiler:
Chuck BartowskiSpecial Agent Charles Carmichael

I could be wrong, but I don't believe most radio codewords aren't actually secret; their purpose isn't to confuse anyone (as any intelligence agency worthy of the name could figure out what the referred to in hours), but to be easily understandable over radio static.

toastindesert

Postby toastindesert » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:01 am UTC

i've been reading this webcomic for the last 2 years and first time to post

My bestfriend did that for a living, following eagles (Philippine Eagles Pithecophaga jefferyi), but I don't think she had a stalker of that sort :D

aylalalalalala

Postby aylalalalalala » Sat May 01, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

i work at a taxi company, answering the phone and "manning" the radio... tonight is sure gonna be interesting... :mrgreen:
on a side note, i still have the overwhelming urge to snicker almost ever time i say "roger that" snerk :wink:
If you were a guitar... I'd pluck you

phillipsjk

Re: “Eagle” discussion

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 01, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Meloncov wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't believe most radio codewords aren't actually secret; their purpose isn't to confuse anyone (as any intelligence agency worthy of the
name could figure out what the referred to in hours), but to be easily understandable over radio static.

You may be onto something there. I have also heard (From my time in Cadets) that some codes are carefully chosen not to transmit any information both parties already know.

For example, "Sun-ray" and "Sun-ray minor" refers the the person in charge and second in command. The same term applies whether the the commander is in charge of a single section (~5-10 people) or a whole battalion (closer to 1000).

Similarly, saying "The eagle has landed" signifies the person of interest has arrived, without saying who that person is.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Aaron of Mpls

Postby Aaron of Mpls » Sun May 02, 2010 1:28 am UTC

aylalalalalala wrote:i work at a taxi company, answering the phone and "manning" the radio... tonight is sure gonna be interesting... :mrgreen:
on a side note, i still have the overwhelming urge to snicker almost ever time i say "roger that" snerk :wink:

Heh, now you just reminded me of that bit from Airplane!. :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”