0737: "Yogurt"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Max2009
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm UTC
Location: Where?
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Max2009 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 am UTC

Does this mean that Randall is a sworn bachelor?

Is there really no hope of domestication?
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Image

wolfman22
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby wolfman22 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:19 am UTC

So this is a "just registered to post here & Randal get out of my head". :D

Comic reminded me of a discussion this week at work.

I looked at our fridge in the office and recogniced that it's definitly time to defrost it - because the icebox at the top of the fridge has already about 10cm of ice (looking like a glacier-muray). So we looked what food would be critical if we defrost it. There is nothing more inside than cookies and Mineralwater - so no Problem. But then we saw THE BUTTER We looked at the expiration date which says 2007 - hey the butter is longer at the company than me :lol:
We wondered why it hasn't run away itself - and I said: "Well with this age you normally can have discussions with the food" *lol lol lol*

Nice comic - made me really laught.

cu

its.willo@live.com.au
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 8:32 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby its.willo@live.com.au » Fri May 07, 2010 8:33 am UTC

i have reason to believe there is a typo

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 07, 2010 9:12 am UTC

Every time an expiry date falls on my birthday, I get a little bit excited.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

natey
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:03 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby natey » Fri May 07, 2010 9:37 am UTC

If you're keeeping food a full year past the expiration date, you've got other problems.

User avatar
The Free Man
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:05 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby The Free Man » Fri May 07, 2010 9:44 am UTC

Ugh. I've had old yogurt before.


Never again....

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am UTC

FCN wrote:Stink lines!

Is this their first xkcd appearance?


I'm fairly certain that's bacon hovering over the yoghurt.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:07 am UTC
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
FCN wrote:Stink lines!

Is this their first xkcd appearance?


I'm fairly certain that's bacon hovering over the yoghurt.


It's hovering using its bacon powers.
Now that you mentioned it, I wonder how yogurt mixed with bacon will taste like...
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 07, 2010 10:32 am UTC

Turns out, the large measuring jug of yoghurt I once used to make the base for a curry turned out not to be yoghurt.

'What did you do with the milk in the fridge?' my housemate asked.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

wolfman22
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby wolfman22 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:06 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Every time an expiry date falls on my birthday, I get a little bit excited.

:wink: mee too - and I tought I'm the only one who thinks this

xnick
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby xnick » Fri May 07, 2010 11:24 am UTC

I'm pondering wether i should buy all my food with expiration date on december 31th or not...

On the other hand, if the year IS PRINTED in the expiration date, you can wait for (almost) one hundred years and it becomes edible again.
(unless four digits are used for the year; in that case you have to wait about ten thousand years).

urobythos
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:55 am UTC
Location: 3 AM

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby urobythos » Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

This is either an inside joke or a riddle of some sort.

jozwa
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby jozwa » Fri May 07, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

murphy42 wrote:Finally! a strip with some culture!

I don't get it. Please tell me why that is funny.

User avatar
Chromana
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Chromana » Fri May 07, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

jozwa wrote:
murphy42 wrote:Finally! a strip with some culture!

I don't get it. Please tell me why that is funny.

As in a bacterial culture. I.e. the mould on the food.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbiological_culture

not baby Newt
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby not baby Newt » Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

Chromana wrote:
jozwa wrote:
murphy42 wrote:Finally! a strip with some culture!

I don't get it. Please tell me why that is funny.

As in a bacterial culture. I.e. the mould on the food.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbiological_culture


Also as the yogurt (or bacterial) culture which is added to milk to turn it into yogurt.

GunJack
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby GunJack » Fri May 07, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

prokrastinatorSF wrote:What it was packaged under the Napoleonic Republican calendar?



The french republic calendar!!! that was such an awesome calendar...just to say the word termidor makes me feel cool :D
that was the calendar you were typing about?
Don't protest against my methods, if you want to continue living of my results

User avatar
adaviel
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver Canada
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby adaviel » Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

Expiration date is just a vague guideline, not a countdown timer. Whether something is OK depends strongly on temperature history, and whether a single spore/bacterium made it inside the packaging without being killed.
Yogurt: no mould - OK. Blue/green mould on the top - scoop it off and eat the rest. Yellow multicoloured mould, or black mould - eew!
Blue mould may be OK to eat; I've never tried. But I eat blue cheese :)
Mould/bacteria produce toxins (poop) that may be worse for you than the mould itself, so scoop off a bit of yogurt along with the mould.

BTW, is "MA 12" 12 May this year, or March 2012 ?

User avatar
scikidus
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:34 pm UTC
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby scikidus » Fri May 07, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

My grandfather was a chemical engineer who worked on the team which invented the first instant-rise yeast (now packaged by Fleischmann's). My mother remembers how every week he would bring home freshly baked bread from testing.

He also had a thing against throwing things away.

When my parents cleaned out his house a few years ago, they discovered 40-year-old barrels of bubbling, over-risen, yeast.

We still have no idea what the yeast was eating at that point.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby uncivlengr » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

My philosophy with milk, but equally applicable to anything else in your fridge, has always been: it's just milk. If you have to seriously consider whether or not it's bad, it's bad, and you should throw it out.

That said, I had some 18% cream in my fridge left over from making mushroom soup or something else, and it's been two months since the expiration date and it's still not bad. I only really use milk for tea or making biscuits, but even 1L cartons of milk always end up going bad before I use them. Apparently, I can just buy a small carton of cream, and it'll last me for months.
I don't know what to do for you

cookrw
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby cookrw » Fri May 07, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

murphy42 wrote:Finally! a strip with some culture!

That was a groan, facepalm, and laugh--all at once! Great job!

VapidFrobie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby VapidFrobie » Fri May 07, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Wow... I swear, the very last video I saw on the internet was the Cowboy Bebop episode "Toys in the Attic", where they get attacked by the black slime from the fridge. That is one heck of a coincidence.

Just two weeks ago, I discovered a bottle of ranch dressing in my fridge. I haven't bought ranch in five years. Strangely enough, there were no odd colors. It just turned clear. I just put it back because I want to see if it does anything interesting. I like improv science experiments.

User avatar
krucifi
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby krucifi » Fri May 07, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

why the fook does mineral water have an expiration date?
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

Lonewolf I
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Lonewolf I » Fri May 07, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

VapidFrobie wrote:Wow... I swear, the very last video I saw on the internet was the Cowboy Bebop episode "Toys in the Attic", where they get attacked by the black slime from the fridge. That is one heck of a coincidence.

Just two weeks ago, I discovered a bottle of ranch dressing in my fridge. I haven't bought ranch in five years. Strangely enough, there were no odd colors. It just turned clear. I just put it back because I want to see if it does anything interesting. I like improv science experiments.


If you have any compassion for your fellow human beings, you will put a large sign on that bottle explicitly labeled "Science Experiment. Do NOT Eat."
Ranch dressing tastes bad enough. Only stupid people should have to accidentally taste dressing gone bad.

User avatar
bitwiseshiftleft
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:07 am UTC
Location: Stanford
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby bitwiseshiftleft » Fri May 07, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

I don't understand the calendar thing. If it's May 7, 2010 according to the Gregorian calendar, isn't it April 24, 2010 according to the Julian calendar? So if the mediaeval yogurtsmiths set the expiration at May 12, 2010 (Julian Calendar) it should be good for an extra 13 days...

alahos
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby alahos » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

krucifi wrote:why the fook does mineral water have an expiration date?


My guess is that plastic from the bottle or its decomposition products slowly dissolve in the water, and after some time its levels attain an unacceptable threshold.

In the case of glass bottles, however, I suspect pure mercantilism. If it's past the date, you just buy another one.

User avatar
Mr. Burke
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Mr. Burke » Fri May 07, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

prokrastinatorSF wrote:What it was packaged under the Napoleonic Republican calendar?

You do realize that Napoléon abolished the French Republican calendar?

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby bmonk » Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

I like that last line: "No, it might still be good!"

I like the expiration dates on bottled water, Twinkies, and the like--four or more years after the production date. How can they tell it will go bad then? Why set it at an arbitrary date like that?
***
And, regarding the various calendars, back about 1500 years ago, there was confusion whether "Year of the Lord" referred to his birth or his death--which meant there was a thirty-three year difference, so this would only be 1977...or you could use the Islamic calendar, where it's 1431 AH. Either one would give a certain extra zone of "use", even if the year was included.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
BioTube
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby BioTube » Sat May 08, 2010 12:59 am UTC

alahos wrote:In the case of glass bottles, however, I suspect pure mercantilism. If it's past the date, you just buy another one.
Mercantilism is a system of hoarding money(or money substitutes today) into a nation and impoverishing yourself by shipping all real wealth overseas(which is then reclaimed via war); how is getting you to replace something unnecessarily anywhere close? Anyways, the only glass-bottled water I know of is Perrier, whose expiration date is related to it going flat.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

alahos
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby alahos » Sat May 08, 2010 1:17 am UTC

BioTube wrote:
alahos wrote:In the case of glass bottles, however, I suspect pure mercantilism. If it's past the date, you just buy another one.
Mercantilism is a system of hoarding money(or money substitutes today) into a nation and impoverishing yourself by shipping all real wealth overseas(which is then reclaimed via war); how is getting you to replace something unnecessarily anywhere close? Anyways, the only glass-bottled water I know of is Perrier, whose expiration date is related to it going flat.


That's just using an overly specialized definition, like saying that heat can't correspond to a high temperature because it's a transfer of energy. Mercantilism can be synonymous with commercialism.

asdfzxc
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby asdfzxc » Sat May 08, 2010 1:33 am UTC

Last time I cleaned out my pantry and fridge in '09 I found packages going back to 2002, 2-year-old ham, some horrifying microorganism colony growing out of an ancient piece of meat in the back of my freezer that we were afraid to even touch with our hands, an assortment of ruptured containers from over a year ago, and possibly Cthulhu. Randall is a wimp.

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:45 am UTC

I don't understand the making of dairy products. When milk goes bad, it starts to become solid; curdled milk is partially solid milk, it's sort of gloppy. So in theory, if the milk continues to spoil, it will become completely solid and become flavorless yogurt. By that logic, since yogurt is spoiled milk, how can it too spoil? I'm not actually educated in this sort of thing (clearly), so these are just assumptions. Anyone care to explain?


In less entertaining discussion, I have had some bad experiences with expiration dates. If anyone's bored enough to listen, a bit of a story...
So, milk has a notoriously short expiration date. A few weeks, at best. At school, the individual milk cartons we got were usually a few days away from expiring when we get them. Now, the school had an Extended Day program (somewhere for kids to go if they don't take the bus and both parents work 9-5 weekdays), and every day there used to be a mediocre snack. Any leftovers from the school lunches, which included milk and oranges and such, ended up among the snacks. Now, any snack food that wasn't eaten got kept, since it was still good. Usually. Someone unwittingly did this with the milk, I unwittingly forgot to check the expiration date, and did a spit-take with milk that had expired 17 days previously, and was transparent with little white things floating in it.
And THAT is why I pay attention to expiration dates.

EDIT:
alahos wrote:
BioTube wrote:
alahos wrote:In the case of glass bottles, however, I suspect pure mercantilism. If it's past the date, you just buy another one.
Mercantilism is a system of hoarding money(or money substitutes today) into a nation and impoverishing yourself by shipping all real wealth overseas(which is then reclaimed via war); how is getting you to replace something unnecessarily anywhere close? Anyways, the only glass-bottled water I know of is Perrier, whose expiration date is related to it going flat.

That's just using an overly specialized definition, like saying that heat can't correspond to a high temperature because it's a transfer of energy. Mercantilism can be synonymous with commercialism.

Guys, please. The basic idea of mercantilism is that a nation's power is measured by the amount of gold and silver in its treasury; it extends to suggest that colonies exist purely for the benefit of their mother country. The system was most famous for its use in England in the colonial era; this is why they created the colonies, and then taxed, governed, and restricted them. Thus, it can be seen as one of the indirect(?) causes of the Revolutionary War. I'm assuming it has been used by other countries as well, with greater or lesser success.

EDIT2: Damn right I typed in the quote code. Tedious as hell.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat May 08, 2010 2:03 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:those pesky 11 07 10 labels are even worse.
They should use Unixtime! ;)
adaviel wrote:BTW, is "MA 12" 12 May this year, or March 2012 ?
MA is May, MR is March.

I have simple rules for expiration dates:
1) The date is a guideline. If it's near or passed, examine the food before using it.
2) If it has mould, it gets thrown out.
3) If it's been frozen since before the date, it's fine.
4) Expired doesn't necessarily mean inedible. Sometimes it just loses its flavour. I'm eating Kraft Dinner that "expired" about a month ago and while it doesn't taste as good, it's still just fine, at least judging by the fact that I ate some yesterday and haven't yet died. I guess if I suddenly disappear in the next few days, you'll know I was wrong.
(It's a sort of pseudo-get-out-of-my-head moment. I was just thinking about the date on the package, and I see this comic. Except the comic was published hours ago... Randall, get out of my future?)

I also buy powdered milk. It certainly doesn't taste as good, but that's really only noticeable if you drink it alone, and I never enjoyed the taste of straight milk anyway. Mix it with something and you can't tell the difference. It's far cheaper and the shelf life is near 9 months, so for someone who frequently had to toss out half-full 1L cartons, it's no contest.

I'm always suspicious of those dates. With some foods (dairy, meat, etc) it's obvious they become inedible after some time, but when I see them on things like pretzels, pasta noodles, powdered juice mix (which is basically just sugar and flavouring), I really wonder. How do we know these are "expiration" dates and not "throw away your perfectly good half-bag and buy another" dates? >.>
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
phillipsjk
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:09 pm UTC
Location: Edmonton AB Canada
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 08, 2010 2:28 am UTC

They don't want to get sued for adding things like Bisphenol A to the packaging that can leach over time.

Even metal containers use the substance in their plastic liners.
Did you get the number on that truck?

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 am UTC

adaviel wrote:Expiration date is just a vague guideline, not a countdown timer. Whether something is OK depends strongly on temperature history, and whether a single spore/bacterium made it inside the packaging without being killed.
Yogurt: no mould - OK. Blue/green mould on the top - scoop it off and eat the rest. Yellow multicoloured mould, or black mould - eew!
Blue mould may be OK to eat; I've never tried. But I eat blue cheese :)
Mould/bacteria produce toxins (poop) that may be worse for you than the mould itself, so scoop off a bit of yogurt along with the mould.

There are molds, that doesn't come off even if you remove some parts. Hidden mycelium branches might have claimed other places too (it can be far off from the big molds!). Heating the mold doesn't solve the problem. Spores from these molds can easily survive a microwave trip. Every step you take still results to a risk of eating mucotoxin. They say molds are quite "safe" though.

By the way, I ate a slice of bread with green molds on it. It was a traumatic experience, but I didn't get sick or stomachached.

User avatar
Kartoffelkopf
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat May 08, 2010 3:01 am UTC

I've always spelled it 'yoghurt', never seen 'yogurt' unless it was a typo. Is this some strange American thing?

imsuzyq
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:07 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby imsuzyq » Sat May 08, 2010 3:28 am UTC

Yeah, yogurt is the American spelling. :) The first time I saw yoghurt I thought it was a typo too.

User avatar
a.sub
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby a.sub » Sat May 08, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Image
Spoiler:
Image

clanders
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby clanders » Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 am UTC

AAAAAAAAAAND we're back to shitty ol' xkcd. I was worried for a moment Randy!

|MC|
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby |MC| » Sat May 08, 2010 6:50 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
adaviel wrote:Expiration date is just a vague guideline, not a countdown timer. Whether something is OK depends strongly on temperature history, and whether a single spore/bacterium made it inside the packaging without being killed.
Yogurt: no mould - OK. Blue/green mould on the top - scoop it off and eat the rest. Yellow multicoloured mould, or black mould - eew!
Blue mould may be OK to eat; I've never tried. But I eat blue cheese :)
Mould/bacteria produce toxins (poop) that may be worse for you than the mould itself, so scoop off a bit of yogurt along with the mould.

There are molds, that doesn't come off even if you remove some parts. Hidden mycelium branches might have claimed other places too (it can be far off from the big molds!). Heating the mold doesn't solve the problem. Spores from these molds can easily survive a microwave trip. Every step you take still results to a risk of eating mucotoxin. They say molds are quite "safe" though.

By the way, I ate a slice of bread with green molds on it. It was a traumatic experience, but I didn't get sick or stomachached.


Some kinds of molds may be edible, but I still can't quite bring myself to just scrape it off the top and eat the yogurt below...

psycholily
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:11 am UTC

Re: "Yogurt" Discussion

Postby psycholily » Sat May 08, 2010 7:14 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I don't understand the making of dairy products. When milk goes bad, it starts to become solid; curdled milk is partially solid milk, it's sort of gloppy. So in theory, if the milk continues to spoil, it will become completely solid and become flavorless yogurt. By that logic, since yogurt is spoiled milk, how can it too spoil? I'm not actually educated in this sort of thing (clearly), so these are just assumptions. Anyone care to explain?


As far as I know, the bacteria added to milk to turn it into yoghurt is a "good" bacteria, that is, it's safe to consume and beneficial for gut flora levels. However, when milk spoils on its own in your fridge, it is being colonised by unfriendly bacteria, so while the physical change may be similar, it will taste TERRIBLE. It will definitely not turn into unflavoured yoghurt, as one who has encountered reeeeally off milk will tell you.
So... when yoghurt goes bad, it is full of bad bacteria and other nasties.

EDIT: I am not an expert, anyone care to add to this?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 88 guests