0743: "Infrastructures"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hujackus
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby hujackus » Sat May 22, 2010 1:26 am UTC

Microsoft Office insists on capitalizing the first letter of every line. Yes, because pressing the shift key is so hard that I obviously must have made a "mistake".

I really dislike this "feature". It wouldn't be so bad if the letter is automatically capitalized, but Word only does it after a space is pressed. That way you have to hit left and right arrows a billion more times.

I'm actually quite upset that the classic Notepad has been updated for Windows 7. It was useful because it was bare bones simple.

User avatar
phillipsjk
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:09 pm UTC
Location: Edmonton AB Canada
Contact:

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby phillipsjk » Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Karilyn wrote:Or maybe the whole automatically formating web addresses into HTML links. Yeah, last I checked, blue text and underlines for web addresses are not MLA format.


Open Office does that too. It is annoying because I use OO.org to prettify my resume for printing or conversion to PDF (or Word) format. As much as possible, I try to use the content-based formatting features. However, the formatting for URLs (my e-mail address) seems to override other formatting.

Some of your other complaints sound familiar as well. To tell the truth, those "features" can probably be turned off if you take the time to find the right menu option.
Did you get the number on that truck?

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat May 22, 2010 2:39 am UTC

theflatworm wrote:
Hazman wrote:They make us submit all our assignments in pdf where I'm studying, which is OK. They send all notices and information as pdf attachments to emails, which is frigging ridiculous.


Wtf! PDF sucks ass. If Adobe crash my browser with that crap one more time *shakes walking stick ineffectually in the air, while mumbling about kids these day*.


No, PDF is awesome. Adobe Reader sucks ass. Using PDFs with Preview.app on OSX is beautiful and seamless. I'm sure there must be FOSS alternatives to Adobe Reader for the Windows and Linux users out there which equally superior.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Biskit333
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Biskit333 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:00 am UTC

hujackus wrote:
Microsoft Office insists on capitalizing the first letter of every line. Yes, because pressing the shift key is so hard that I obviously must have made a "mistake".

I really dislike this "feature". It wouldn't be so bad if the letter is automatically capitalized, but Word only does it after a space is pressed. That way you have to hit left and right arrows a billion more times.

I'm actually quite upset that the classic Notepad has been updated for Windows 7. It was useful because it was bare bones simple.

If you dislike the feature so much, turn it off. In fact, word provides tons of options for controlling exactly what is corrected automatically, and you can even turn off all automatic corrections. I'm not saying that MS Office is perfect, but a lot of the "flaws" that people are pointing out are easily fixed with a little effort.
autocorrect.jpg

10nitro
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby 10nitro » Sat May 22, 2010 3:04 am UTC

delusion wrote:I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that ogg vorbis support is increasing in end-user players, but I see that opinion voiced often as if it is a self-evident truism. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying it's always stated but never demonstrated.

I see them around at the store. They're usually still branded as `MP3 players', but ogg is increasingly on the supported formats list. Also, apparently there's a list, I have no idea how comprehensive it is.

delusion wrote:Ogg vorbis decoders are often more cpu (and therefore battery) intensive in portable devices, but this complaint I consider unfair to set at vorbis's feet, as mp3's edge in this regard is due to a longer history and a wider array of programmatic solutions available, and not the fault of vorbis itself, as far as I am aware.

This is largely just how long they've been around. Most MP3 implementations now-a-days are hardware, with a dedicated MP3-chip, where most ogg implementations are still in software, since it hasn't taken hold yet. Plus several devices have been retrofitted with ogg support via firmware upgrades, so of course they don't have hardware support.

Sebastian wrote:
10nitro wrote:"help, I have X computer problem."
"[Okay|I'm busy], but you wouldn't have that problem if you used X free software that I recommended instead."
"I use software that works, give the free software thing a rest already!"
"You're the one who has computer problems"
I've been banned from 2 irc-channels for doing exactly that.

I don't think I made it clear that I usually do help them, if I know how. What really pisses me is when I recommend they do something, don't, then expect me to get them out of it when they screw up. But yeah, even then I do help them, unless I'm insanely busy (as I have been this last week with finals).

Andrusi wrote:
10nitro wrote:When we "troll":
"help, I have X computer problem."
"[Okay|I'm busy], but you wouldn't have that problem if you used X free software that I recommended instead."
"I use software that works, give the free software thing a rest already!"
"You're the one who has computer problems"

At least in my experience.

If I start the thread "Need help getting Windows to do X" and you come in and post "Get Linux ;)," which has happened to me on an excessive number of occasions, then I'm sorry, but you're trolling.

I'm sorry that has been your experience. If I found such a thread there would be 2 courses of action I would take:
1) If I could help you/knew the answer: I would generally prefix it with `this is easier on a *NIX system', but then I would do my best to help you (a little difficult because I generally do not have a Windows system in front of me)
2) I would not know how to help, and would pass the thread on.

If you asked me (personally) in real life however, option 2 would become:
2) That's real easy in *NIX, but I have no clue how to do it in Windows.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

hujackus
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby hujackus » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 am UTC

If you dislike the feature so much, turn it off. In fact, word provides tons of options for controlling exactly what is corrected automatically, and you can even turn off all automatic corrections. I'm not saying that MS Office is perfect, but a lot of the "flaws" that people are pointing out are easily fixed with a little effort.


Yes but then i'd have to deal with another feature; a green squiggly line telling me that word should be capitalized. Yeah there is an option to turn off all grammar checking too, but where does it end? The problem is that you can't change the domain of these options to anything other than all documents. You can't specify that one document should be checked while another document be checked. What about specifying different options for different sections of a document. All you end up doing it turning options on and off.

firinne
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby firinne » Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 am UTC

RE: Notepad in Windows 7 -- my laptop uses WIndows 7 and Notepad looks exactly the same as always. Big old box and nothing else. Are you talking about Wordpad or whatever it's called, maybe?

User avatar
Biskit333
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Biskit333 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:13 am UTC

hujackus wrote:
If you dislike the feature so much, turn it off. In fact, word provides tons of options for controlling exactly what is corrected automatically, and you can even turn off all automatic corrections. I'm not saying that MS Office is perfect, but a lot of the "flaws" that people are pointing out are easily fixed with a little effort.


Yes but then i'd have to deal with another feature; a green squiggly line telling me that word should be capitalized. Yeah there is an option to turn off all grammar checking too, but where does it end? The problem is that you can't change the domain of these options to anything other than all documents. You can't specify that one document should be checked while another document be checked. What about specifying different options for different sections of a document. All you end up doing it turning options on and off.

I really don't see how the grammar checking is a problem, after all under most circumstances you would want to know when a word beginning a line was left uncapitalized. It is true that the settings are global across all documents, which could be good or bad depending on what you are changing at the time. My point still stands that the stories of people bringing in improperly capitalized documents are not so much because of a shortcoming of MS Office, and more that the user was too lazy to select an option from a dropdown when they knew that they would want to leave several things uncorrected. I'm really not trying to pick a fight about which is better or anything, just saying that you can solve the problem of having to go back and fix the same thing several times, which was referenced in the thread more than once. The issue of whether MS Office provides the best options for corrections is a completely different argument than saying that it is like fighting with the computer.

The1exile
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby The1exile » Sat May 22, 2010 8:22 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:That's what CCs are for!

Which presumes you have their emails. Also email doesn't allow you to have the same filtering of information as a facebook group (you might not want to read all the comment, for example; facebook will tell you specifically if the time and date are changed).


RabbitWho wrote:Facebook and others seem to me to be just a way to keep in touch with people you never liked in the first place and would really rather forget. Or people you you have nothing in common with but a place and time and neither of you are willing to admit it.. and so instead of naturally growing apart you occasionally comment on pictures of them drunk in the pub with their new friends.

Well sure, for some people, if that's how they choose to use it. Of course, you could just not add them (or not accept them if they add you). Personally, I have a load of mates from my old school who I don't talk to as regularly as other, new facebook friends who don't live 200 miles away, but if we're having a football game as a sort of reunion, it's nice to see them. And in the mean time, facebook doesn't even bother me with pictures of their nights out, because it knows I don't look at their profile (and therefore have little interest in what they do).

Also, urgh, geocities.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

tgun
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby tgun » Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 am UTC

Raiden Kitsune wrote:
Flayer wrote:
And maybe sometime when Blizzard gets around to it, I can play with my US buddies or with people in my home (currently B.net disconnects when we log in with our separate accounts on separate PCs behind the same router and there is no LAN option). And maybe at some point have an actual chat channel in the game itself, as Battle.net 1.0 had so I can communicate with a group of people without being limited by a 'party'. But at least there's Facebook!


Mmkay, this is pretty well off topic, and I'm no fan of Blizzard these days, but this is just silly, and that strip 386 voice in my head just can't let it go that easily.

1 - You can play with people from other countries. I'm from the US, I play routinely with two girls from the UK and Norway. Occasionally we're joined by another friend from Lebanon, on the rare days her connection is good enough to play. They had no trouble at all getting on a US server. (Though, it's only fair to say, tchnically, Blizzard doesn't officially support this.)

2 - Don't know what your problem there is, but that has to be something with your network, not Battlenet. I routinely have six people on WoW at once from my house.

3 - You aren't restricted to party chat. You can create you own global chat channels any time you like and invite whoever you want into them. This one falls solidly under RTFM.


-edit- Second post? I've been registered here for how long and that was my second post? *sigh*


Did you read the previous posters post?

He was talking about Starcraft 2, running on 'battlenet 2.0' which has severe restrictions in comparison with its predecessor. I hope you've just made a slight mishap. Blizzard has many games other than WoW.

osmigos
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby osmigos » Sat May 22, 2010 9:02 am UTC

I think this is another situation where both sides are correct, they just aren't arguing about the same things.

YES open source is 'better' from a technical point of view. However there is nothing that the average user does with their computer which will cause any real harm to their lives if something goes wrong with it. Perhaps it would be theoretically possible for a truly malicious person to do great harm, but it's also possible for someone with a shotgun to kick in my door and shoot me dead. I'm not currently in the market for an armoured door.

xtifr
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby xtifr » Sat May 22, 2010 9:39 am UTC

10nitro wrote:I see them around at the store. They're usually still branded as `MP3 players', but ogg is increasingly on the supported formats list. Also, apparently there's a list, I have no idea how comprehensive it is.

From my testing, it seems like most generic mp3 players that offer multi-format support (mp3, wma, aac) also include ogg vorbis whether or not it's listed on the package. Basically, all the ones I've tried that weren't branded Apple or Microsoft (though I wouldn't bet either way on Sony or Creative).
10nitro wrote: Most MP3 implementations now-a-days are hardware, with a dedicated MP3-chip, where most ogg implementations are still in software, since it hasn't taken hold yet. Plus several devices have been retrofitted with ogg support via firmware upgrades, so of course they don't have hardware support.

Dedicated chips to decode OggV have been available for many years, and, while I don't know for certain, the near-ubiquity of Ogg support in generic players strongly suggests to me that there are now single chip decoders that handle several formats including OggV. I would be amazed if the cheap ($40) Asian-built player I got for my niece recently had custom firmware and a powerful enough CPU to decode Oggs on its own, but play Oggs it does.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Manial
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Manial » Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 am UTC

Sorry to bring up off-topicness but,
Karilyn wrote:
neoliminal wrote:If anything, I'm more likely jealous of autistics than anythings else. Most of my problems in life would likely be resolved if I had some form of Asperger's Syndrome.

It's really closer to being Blessed With Suck

Oh yeah sure, high IQ and all that stuff sure is fun. But it does get rather tiring the seeming incapacity to form a friendship with more than 1 person at the same time, all of whom end up breaking off the friendship in short order due to thinking you are an irredeemable jackass. Managed to find me a lifemate, who is (probably) autistic (but never diagnosed). Which has created a delightfully awesome, yet simultaneously lonely, state of existence... On one hand, I finally have a friend who isn't going to leave me... On the other hand, I also have not made a single other friend in the five years we've known each other despite my best efforts.

Not as fun as you might think. You might resolve some of your current problems if you were Aspergerian, but I can guarantee you that you'd have a whole new boatload of frustrating problems and self-deficiencies that no matter how hard you try, you seem to be incapable of overcoming.
While I agree with everything else in this post, the high IQ thing really bothers me.

The only major difference between Asperger syndrome and autism is problems with cognitive development and language - traits that are likely to reduce IQ. So basically a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome excludes those with a lower IQs, thus statistically inflating the average IQ score.

It's a bit like excluding anyone with an IQ of under 70 from joining a group, and then claiming that the group is smarter because the average IQ is higher than the total population.

0rm
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby 0rm » Sat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

I agree with a few other people here in that there should be a better way to introduce the problem. Hell, maybe a future scenario where Apple completely fucks over FOSS developers in one way or another and somehow this affects users of commercial users, be it ludicrous pricing or nazi-esque (or RIAA-esque) control schemes.

Other than that, the guy on the right is me, the guy on the left is my family and everyone I know. I can honestly say I tried to convert them, I really did. It's just stupid how companies prey on the ignorant.
They say it's unhackable; I think it can be hacked.
They say it's fast; I think it could be faster.
They say it's the best; I think it can be done better.

User avatar
Callista
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Callista » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Manial wrote:While I agree with everything else in this post, the high IQ thing really bothers me.

The only major difference between Asperger syndrome and autism is problems with cognitive development and language - traits that are likely to reduce IQ. So basically a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome excludes those with a lower IQs, thus statistically inflating the average IQ score.

It's a bit like excluding anyone with an IQ of under 70 from joining a group, and then claiming that the group is smarter because the average IQ is higher than the total population.
Exactly. Asperger's is not associated with high IQ intrinsically; it's associated with high IQ because all the <70 people (and a lot of the <100 ones) are shunted off into PDD-NOS or Autistic Disorder. Actually, a lot of the people who should be diagnosed Asperger's end up diagnosed Autistic Disorder or PDD-NOS because they don't fit the "smart nerd" Asperger's stereotype. And, for that matter, some speech-delayed people are diagnosed Asperger's, when they shouldn't be, because they *do* fit that stereotype.

The Asperger's/Autism divide is very arbitrary. In adulthood, you can't tell the difference between Asperger's and classic autistics who've learned speech and self-care skills (which is about 90% of them). There's very little consistency from doctor to doctor in telling the difference even in kids. While they tend to agree pretty consistently on whether or not a kid's autistic, they'd be equally accurate in telling the difference between Asperger's and regular autism if they just blindfolded themselves and threw darts at random.

It's pretty reasonably sure now that they're going to re-write the autism diagnosis in the next edition of the DSM (which is basically a list of diagnostic criteria) to include just autism, put everybody in the same category, and use severity labels instead, so that most people currently diagnosed Asperger's get mild or moderate autism spectrum disorder labels afterward. The Asperger's diagnosis has served its purpose: It was a way of saying, "You're autistic, but you don't fit the 'autistic people are mentally retarded' stereotype." Now that we know there's no reason that autistic people necessarily should be retarded (they often are, but more often are not), there's no reason to keep around the Asperger's diagnosis.

While autism doesn't give you a high IQ (in fact, autism makes IQ pretty much meaningless), it can give you traits that are associated stereotypically with intelligence. A great many autistic people have problems filtering sensory input, so that they notice everything--it can result in mental overload very easily, but it also means that they can take advantage of being ridiculously detail-oriented. It can cause a great deal of scatter in their skills--they'll be really, really bad at one thing, but really, really amazing at something else. (Savant skills are the extreme expression. About one in ten autistics has one or more.) That, incidentally, is why IQ doesn't mean all that much for autistic people, because it doesn't predict your skills. IQ is one number, derived from a lot of subtests usually. The subtests will be all over the place for an autistic person, while with a typical sort they'll be roughly gathered at one level. The typical person's IQ can often be used to roughly gauge his skills in specific areas; the autistic person's IQ usually cannot be. In addition to the detail-oriented nature and the extreme strengths related to scattered skill profiles, autistic people can also be extremely obsessive, latching onto a topic and becoming experts because that's simply what makes them happy. In its milder form, this trait is seen in most "nerds"--who, not surprisingly, also become experts in their specialist subjects.

As far as I can tell, autism is not better or worse than being typical. It's just different. It just is, that's all. I may be a bit biased, of course. I have atypical autism myself (i.e., "You talk too much for classical autism, but you had adaptive skill delays, so let's throw you in the PDD-NOS catch-all along with 65% of the spectrum"... silly psychologists.) And yes, psychology is my specialist subject.

Heck of a first post. Sorry about that; I'll go introduce myself and actually be social now or something.

Apteryx
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Apteryx » Sun May 23, 2010 1:02 am UTC

Just because they were ultimately correct, doesn't necessarily prove that they weren't merely wanting to feel smugly superior and elitist. History is full of smug pricks that turned out to be correct, didn't change that they were pricks.
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams

Taco
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Taco » Sun May 23, 2010 1:13 am UTC

You know what? All this comic did was make me angry. It seems somewhat hypocritical to talk about smug superiority, what with last week's comic essentially being, "I feel smugly superior to all the people who didn't get the joke because it means that I know something about nerdery they don't," or how about 149? And 55? And 292. And:


215
297
323
341
342
343
344
345
353
371
379
644

I was also rather offended by the Autism comment; I have friends and family with that, and it seems like you used it like an insult.

User avatar
BioTube
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby BioTube » Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 am UTC

Why are people latching onto the Autism quip with such vile? A character doesn't necessarily represent the views of the author, nor his word choice.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Taco
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Taco » Sun May 23, 2010 1:48 am UTC

I just think it was in poor taste for him to even reference autism in that way. I'm not particularly mad, but it's just another niggling issue I have.

FermiAndFrost
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby FermiAndFrost » Sun May 23, 2010 2:27 am UTC

.
Last edited by FermiAndFrost on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Taco
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Taco » Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 am UTC

And now I feel kind of like a troll, seeing as I got someone to register to do a bit of both criticism of my criticism, which I like, as well as Ad Verbatim. I read xkcd fairly regularly, in fact. It's mostly personal preference: I dislike inside jokes. Ones that can be understood from the outside of the subculture I like. It's entirely possible that, due to the unorthodox syntax of math and coding, that these are inherently hard to understand from outside the niche. A good joke can be understood regardless of whether or not you're in a certain subculture or not.

User avatar
Callista
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Callista » Sun May 23, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Not really. I don't think good jokes are necessarily universal. For example, haven't you ever heard a good joke about, say, a TV series you watch, or a book you've read? And isn't it true that you can't understand many of those jokes if you haven't read the book or seen the show?

Part of the point of humor is the surprise the audience feels upon connecting two ideas in a new way. In its best form, humor makes the audience feel intelligent, because they've figured out the connection--and that's got little to do with whether or not the subject matter is a niche subject or near-universal.

Granted, you won't enjoy the joke if you're not part of the group that has the necessary background information. But your not enjoying the joke because you don't have the background information doesn't mean that it's not good humor. It's just humor that is written for a subgroup that doesn't happen to include you.

Niche humor is, I think, some of the funniest out there. Universal stuff can get awfully cliched, because everyone has access to it, and that means most of the connections have been made; the jokes are old. Whereas, if you are creating humor about a small subset of human knowledge, most of the connections are still open and available for use.

I am not quite sure what to think about the "autistic" comment. It didn't strike me as offensive; more like simply incorrect--along the same lines as someone using the word "schizophrenic" to mean "someone or something that seems to have more than one essential nature or personality". Using the word "autistic" to mean "obsessive and convinced of one's superiority to the mainstream" is just incorrect, because it hasn't got much to do with autism. Why it wasn't simply phrased as something like "elitist" is really beyond me. The concept of "autistic" as an insult is just pure wtf to me. I really don't get why in the world it should be an insult to accuse somebody of having a disorder that you can't help having, includes no moral failing, and makes you neither unhappy nor inferior. Same thing with using "retarded" as an insult, really. I've never understood why having a low IQ, or sucking at socializing or language, or really why being naturally bad at anything, should be intrinsically negative and cause for insult. You want to insult somebody, insult the people who refuse to learn, refuse to try, and generally go about their lives being lazy and feeling superior to the people who suck at stuff and find ways to work around it anyway.

osmigos
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby osmigos » Sun May 23, 2010 4:56 am UTC

To me it seems (looking at the role of the character who made the 'autistic' comment) that it was intentionally used in an incorrect manner to make the character look foolish.

NeoTechni
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby NeoTechni » Sun May 23, 2010 5:18 am UTC

I really dont see the relation between someone supporting Office, then being burned by Facebook.

Maybe if the second part was him catching a virus embedded in an Office document, then there'd be a point made.

But no. The bearded douche is just being a douche.

logixoul
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby logixoul » Sun May 23, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Sooo...
I used to be the bearded guy. Does that make me autistic? I mean, being the character type to get worked up about file formats just because I read about them on /. ? What does this have to do with autism anyway? It had more to do with me being a bored, impressionable 15yo who needed a fraction to identify with, and the hippie opensource movement seemed like a cool crowd.

(football teams and pro wrestlers on the other hand always bored me)

If on the off-chance you are planning on having the person print out the document, then if you aren't sending it in .pdf you're doing it wrong.

How does converting my document from doc to pdf make it magically print better?

hatten
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby hatten » Sun May 23, 2010 6:55 am UTC

logixoul wrote:Sooo...
I used to be the bearded guy. Does that make me autistic? I mean, being the character type to get worked up about file formats just because I read about them on /. ? What does this have to do with autism anyway? It had more to do with me being a bored, impressionable 15yo who needed a fraction to identify with, and the hippie opensource movement seemed like a cool crowd.

(football teams and pro wrestlers on the other hand always bored me)

If on the off-chance you are planning on having the person print out the document, then if you aren't sending it in .pdf you're doing it wrong.

How does converting my document from doc to pdf make it magically print better?

It will look exactly the same everywhere. doc may fail in OO or may render different with 03 vs 07

Kalos
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Kalos » Sun May 23, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Lololololololololoo I love all of the people whining about default MS office features. It takes like 30 seconds to turn them off on your own, or a single right and then left click to turn them off after a single auto-correct. I thought you people understood "nerdy" things.

User avatar
jacog
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby jacog » Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 am UTC

Kalos wrote:Lololololololololoo I love all of the people whining about default MS office features. It takes like 30 seconds to turn them off on your own, or a single right and then left click to turn them off after a single auto-correct. I thought you people understood "nerdy" things.


Dude, saying "Lololololololololoo " makes you seem daft. :/

But anyway, how did this thread become an MS Office vs. OpenOffice thread anyway? The point of the original comic was addressing open standards vs. closed ones. If the norm was for MS Office to save documents in a format that everyone else can use, this comic would not exist. On the other side, if OpenOffice were to default to a document format that only it can use, then it'd be just as bad as MS Office.

Bottom line is that Microsoft, like many other vendors, is using proprietary document formats to lock people into their software. Now, before you jump in with "I use MS Office because I like it better, it's my choice", it's quite irrelevant.

Sharing is always better than hogging things for yourself. Microsoft is a monopolist. That falls under the category "bad behaviour".

sabik
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:39 am UTC
Location: Rowville, Australia
Contact:

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby sabik » Sun May 23, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

[quote="NeoTechni"]I really dont see the relation between someone supporting Office, then being burned by Facebook.[/quote]

In both cases, we're handing over a part of our infrastructure (document format, social network) to a single company (Microsoft, Facebook). The pattern is the same, only the details differ. The outcomes also tend to be the same, although obviously they come to a head at different times and in different ways — in some way or another, the company ends up using the situation to its benefit at the expense of the user.

Bearded guy can see the pattern.

η

Taco
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Taco » Sun May 23, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

jacog wrote:
Kalos wrote:Lololololololololoo I love all of the people whining about default MS office features. It takes like 30 seconds to turn them off on your own, or a single right and then left click to turn them off after a single auto-correct. I thought you people understood "nerdy" things.


Dude, saying "Lololololololololoo " makes you seem daft. :/


Yeah, all the cool kids say Trololololololololololo.

User avatar
rdm_box
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby rdm_box » Sun May 23, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

Karilyn wrote:"Let's just take up half the screen with buttons! Nevermind that menus are totally awesome, compact, and easy to navigate, we'll forgo them in order to make Office look like Internet Explorer with way too many spyware toolbars installed"

If you want to get rid of the 'ribbon', merely double click on any of the tabs and it will hide the bulky bit.

I find that despite how in an ideal world we would all be using open formats, most non-nerdy people, and even people who consider themselves quite nerdy, use MS office. It is a nice interface, and I really like it's shinyness. I can use OOo, but it is not as easy to use, even with a while getting used to it.

Also, MS implemented the opendocument format in office, but made it not work, to stop people from using it. This makes me hate them.
Regards,

-rdm_box

uiri
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby uiri » Sun May 23, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Taco wrote:-snip-


So, changing tracing the phone number and it being her local one to tracing the ip and it being a local one is smug?
So, using math to try to figure out love is smug?
So, moving on by deleting one's partner's user account on their computer is smug?
So, a joke about bad programming practices is smug?
So, a star wars and programming reference is smug?
So, a joke about Windows ME (It was the Vista of 10 years ago, essentially), is smug?
So, a joke about a mom being an awesome hacker, is smug?
So, a joke about her daughter learning to hack, is smug?
So, a joke about that daughter's adventures, is smug?
So, a joke about the MPAA and RIAA attacking that daughter and her mom and them being saved by RMS is smug?
So, the continuation of the same joke above and what they do after they defeat the MPAA and RIAA dudes is smug?
So, a joke about python changing programming is smug?
So, a joke about segmentation faults is smug?
So, a joke about how easy it is for computers to forget but hard for people to forget, is smug?
So, a joke about how hardware support for Linux is mostly done by projects to patch said support together, is smug?

If you don't use Linux, don't know how to program and don't know very much about computers, yeah you might not get the jokes. Some of them aren't really jokes, per se, either. But the fact of the matter is that they aren't an attempt to be smug. I think Randall has a target audience and these jokes are within the realm of understanding of what he feels his target audience is. His audience is obviously a niche, which you may or may not fall into and not being in the niche doesn't mean you shouldn't read the comic or anything. It just means you might not get all of the jokes.
Proud User of Debian

User avatar
phillipsjk
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:09 pm UTC
Location: Edmonton AB Canada
Contact:

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby phillipsjk » Sun May 23, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

hatten wrote:
logixoul wrote:How does converting my document from doc to pdf make it magically print better?

It will look exactly the same everywhere. doc may fail in OO or may render different with 03 vs 07

I don't know if/when they fixed it, but changing the print driver used to change the formatting. For example if you replaced the default Inkjet printer with a Laser printer. It may be that the resolutions of newer printers are high enough (and non-printable area small enough) that the changes are not as noticeable anymore.
Did you get the number on that truck?

User avatar
Pesto
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm UTC
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Pesto » Sun May 23, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

My most recent OpenOffice :x moment...

In Calc, when you open a CSV file, it launches and displays the file in Write.

:x :x :x

Taco
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 am UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Taco » Sun May 23, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Seems like the biggest pain in the ass with stuff like Windows is simply how intrusive it can be.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 am UTC

I'm ... a bit frightened by how many people failed to tell which character in this strip is an obvious strawman and which one is an obvious mouthpiece for the writer. (Protip: The mouthpiece is almost always the one who gets the last word. If they, like Bearded Guy here, happens to still sound like a douche, that's because the writer is being one too.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
lsdigit
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:20 pm UTC
Location: just behind you...

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby lsdigit » Mon May 24, 2010 3:12 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I'm ... a bit frightened by how many people failed to tell which character in this strip is an obvious strawman and which one is an obvious mouthpiece for the writer. (Protip: The mouthpiece is almost always the one who gets the last word. If they, like Bearded Guy here, happens to still sound like a douche, that's because the writer is being one too.)


This Frightens you?, personally Zombies frighten me and Intelligent Design Adherants frighten me (ok, this post should be on the tautology club over at facebook)...
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon May 24, 2010 4:24 am UTC

delusion wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I download everything in FLAC, if possible. I've hacked iTunes/QuickTime to work with it (I'm a crazy mac user), and when my friends want a file, I'll give it to them and leave them to discover that it is on FLAC or OGG or 5.1 mp3. When they complain, I tell 'em it was free. It stopped requests for copies of my rather large and eclectic iTunes library. I've also will send files in an esoteric format, such as .odf or a large Word doc zipped into a .sit when I'm angry.


No offense, but I don't like to take out my passive aggressive format diatribes out on my friends. Did I mention that these were friends and not people I have a giant ego-score to settle with?

I'm not suggesting you should volunteer to whore yourself out to download whatever tedious top 40 album is all the rage this week, because that's annoying and I've had to nip that idea in the bud a few times myself. But when I'm sharing music with friends (who return the favor), I don't have the desire to make things difficult on them for its own sake.

Either you're joking, or you're a terrible person.

When I'm dealing with my friends who reciprocate, I give them whatever I've got, be it FLAC, WMA, mp3, or something else. I don't actually convert it to an esoteric format just to be a dick, but I'm not going to convert it to something that's guaranteed to be iTunes compatible for them unless they pay me for it (it doesn't have to be money). To be honest, it's never been a problem - my friend has all his stuff in FLAC or 320k mp3 (sounds like he's been on TPB). In fact, I was the one who had to hack iTunes to play FLAC and OGG.
No, I've never actually send Windows - using friends a SIT file. That'd be like tossing golf balls at the blind kid; besides, I think Apple only supports opening, not creating, SIT files these days. I would give them a gz'd tarball in exchange for all the RAR files that I had to install The Unarchiver to use, plus it might get them hooked on 7-Zip.

tl;dr: I'm the bearded guy (quite literally, except I'm a student, not a prof.)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon May 24, 2010 4:33 am UTC

Karilyn wrote::(

But I like OpenOffice. Just because I like it better than Microsoft Office. No fancy reason. Same with their spreadsheets.

FUCK XKCD FORUMS!! STOP LOGGING ME OUT FOR WHATEVER BULLSHIT REASON WHILE I'M POSTING!!!

Sorry about that. My post got eaten - at least this wasn't a wall o' text

Short repost of lost rant: Are you a mac user b/c Office:mac feels like a badly-ported Office 2003/XP
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

NeoTechni
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Re: "Infrastructures" discussion

Postby NeoTechni » Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 am UTC

sabik wrote:
NeoTechni wrote:I really dont see the relation between someone supporting Office, then being burned by Facebook.


In both cases, we're handing over a part of our infrastructure (document format, social network) to a single company (Microsoft, Facebook). The pattern is the same, only the details differ. The outcomes also tend to be the same, although obviously they come to a head at different times and in different ways — in some way or another, the company ends up using the situation to its benefit at the expense of the user.

Bearded guy can see the pattern.

η


Except they are different entirely. It's like saying since he bought a DS instead of a Pandora, it's his fault that Ford's had to be recalled.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 97 guests