0750: "Book Burning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0750: "Book Burning"

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 am UTC

Alt text: "Of course, since their cautionary tale was reported in a print newspaper, no one read it."

This one's just... wierd...
Last edited by LucasBrown on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

herm43506

Re: "Book Burning" discussion

Postby herm43506 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 am UTC

HA! For the win! I love Kindle, but why burn one just to simulate burning a book?

"You're doing it wrong!"

i.t.homp

Postby i.t.homp » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 am UTC

I rather like this one.
I've broken all your spatulas, because I knew no-one would admit themselves!

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:49 am UTC

They could just buy the Kindle editions and delete them...

ohgodindividualcomicsinmyegosearch.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Duo Nox Sol

Postby Duo Nox Sol » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 am UTC

Glad to see someone finally dumping on book burning :twisted:. Munroe has done it again (in his simply epic manner.) The destruction of knowledge is not only stupid, it is futile. The sane human mind strives for more knowledge, and tries not to forget. The fool that burns a book burns himself. The fool that burns a kindle, though...
"Because "atheism" is a entirely better description of the universe, only theists feel superior. Hard as it is for theists to admit, we atheists actually don't have to feel superior, we simply are so."

kingomri

Postby kingomri » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 am UTC

I don't think a Kindle would be effective kindling.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 am UTC

I would have burned the Kindle even if it didn't have the book on it…

I can't believe I just wrote that.

siecraticmethod

Postby siecraticmethod » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Nothing like burning a $300 piece of technology to save $8.

Note: Not criticizing the comic. In fact, it makes sense. Someone who thinks burning a book in private is an effective form of protest would see that as a legitimate way to save a few bucks.

Phonan

Postby Phonan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:03 am UTC

I had to join to say how awesome the KINDLing pun was :-/

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 am UTC

...and then to cover up the incident, all copies of the newspaper are seized and burned...

KBF

Postby KBF » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Duo Nox Sol wrote:Glad to see someone finally dumping on book burning :twisted:. Munroe has done it again (in his simply epic manner.) The destruction of knowledge is not only stupid, it is futile. The sane human mind strives for more knowledge, and tries not to forget. The fool that burns a book burns himself. The fool that burns a kindle, though...

...Anybody else read this as someone trying to desperately convince the community he hadn't spent last weekend burning some of Darwin's stuff?

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 am UTC

that must have been some poisonous text though...
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 am UTC

Randall is clearly a reader of discussion forum Ship of Fools, where a thread on respect for books has been going strong for the past couple of days.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 am UTC

I've been thinking about this for a long time as well ( book and record burning, that is. Not necessarily kindle burning). By burning media, you are supporting that media in one way or another. Even if you buy it used, you are still supporting the sale of whatever it is you deem "heresy" (not always the accurate term but I'll use it for simplicity). It is simply irony at its finest.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 am UTC

But how much was the paperback version?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 am UTC

I'm against the kindle for reasons other than 'does not burn well'.

Namely, the same reasons I'm against appliances in general; I won't get into any lengthy details here, but let's just say I agree with the Free Culture Movement's stance on Computer vs Appliance.

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Just noticed, the newspaper said eight dead, with the picture showing three bodies. he is killing binary now.
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

sliverstorm

Postby sliverstorm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm against the kindle for reasons other than 'does not burn well'.

Namely, the same reasons I'm against appliances in general; I won't get into any lengthy details here, but let's just say I agree with the Free Culture Movement's stance on Computer vs Appliance.

Please provide me more info on their stance. I suspect I am going to strongly disagree, but I don't want to say anything until I am educated.

theta4

Postby theta4 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 am UTC

What the hell is the joke supposed to be? Is it that some people are so retarded that they thought burning a Kindle would be a good idea? Oh ho ho, it's sure good that we're not retarded like those book burners *takes sip from martini while adjusting monocle.*

Randall probably had the best joke in the world, but he forgot it before the drugs wore off...
Last edited by theta4 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Fahrenheit 451? Or . . . whatever temperature a Kindle catches on fire at?

punto

Postby punto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:03 am UTC

I'm cool with that outcome, it's one of those "let the problem sort itself out" kind of situations.

weex

Postby weex » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Thing is today, if you're the right people, destroying books on the Kindle is much easier and more thorough than traditional book burning. Most who care know about this but I'll post a link anyway: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... indles.ars
Salvador Dali wrote:Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Simple Pen Art, now with an Archive page.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 am UTC

punto wrote:I'm cool with that outcome, it's one of those "let the problem sort itself out" kind of situations.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

Burning a book privately - or destroying a Kindle - is on a par with leaving Facebook "in protest". Like they give one shit about one whiny student when the rest of their membership would be the third largest country in the world.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 am UTC

weex wrote:Thing is today, if you're the right people, destroying books on the Kindle is much easier and more thorough than traditional book burning. Most who care know about this but I'll post a link anyway: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... indles.ars

Wow, that is disturbing. I mean I get why they did it, but it's still creepy that they're able to do ylthat in the first place. Just imagine a world where everyone owns a Kindle, and actual books are no longer common. If Amazon (or someone who hacks Amazon) turned out to be a nefaious entity, they could wipe out (or edit) most of the world's major texts over night.

Of course, that probably won't ever happen... but the key word is "probably."

DVC

Postby DVC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:35 am UTC

Fahrenheit ?

What temperature does a Kindle burn at?

Chiffre

Postby Chiffre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:39 am UTC

punto wrote:I'm cool with that outcome, it's one of those "let the problem sort itself out" kind of situations.

+1.
Dark Middle Ages: They burned the libraries and (wannabe) scientists, closed the traditional rhetoric schools, then they wondered why don't they have any doctors and human laws. And died of plague and sheer stupidity for centuries. Congrats for any of them, slaves of theology.
But note that they could only be conquered by massive revolutions, so now we have to work hard to keep science alive and intact in its nobility. Some would say that science costs too much in the short term, or it is too unbelievable, but in the long term (in which economists die and mathematicians lose some of their functions) it has to be maintained, or plague and misery cometh. I did warn you.

Jared Thaler

Postby Jared Thaler » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am UTC

siecraticmethod wrote:Nothing like burning a $300 piece of technology to save $8.

Note: Not criticizing the comic. In fact, it makes sense. Someone who thinks burning a book in private is an effective form of protest would see that as a legitimate way to save a few bucks.

I figured since they clearly wanted to burn *lots* of books, they went out and bought 500 copies of the ebook, and loaded them all onto a kindle and burned it.

That would save them about $3000

nate1481

Postby nate1481 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 am UTC

I can't wait till someone wins a Darwin Award for this.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 am UTC

Mrs Roberts would have written a virus for the kindle that appeared to burn the book onscreen or something. Mrs Roberts would not have died.

MrGuy

Postby MrGuy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:27 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:Fahrenheit 451? Or . . . whatever temperature a Kindle catches on fire at?

Only one way to find out...

Azathoth

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 am UTC

Where they burn books, at the end they also burn people. - Heinrich Heine

Well, those won't.

ZeroSkulleton

Postby ZeroSkulleton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am UTC

Epic win.

But seriously, leave the book burning to the firemen.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am UTC

lsdigit wrote:Just noticed, the newspaper said eight dead, with the picture showing three bodies. he is killing binary now.

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Three bodies would be "seven dead". To get eight, you'd have to have one dead body, and three undead.

suzi

Postby suzi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

As a bookseller, I chuckled at this. MOSTLY at the idea of a $18 hardcover.

I love it when people come into our store (independent book chain) and ask if we sell Kindles. It takes all my willpower not to say something sarcastic like "Yes, we sell the product that's eventually going to put us out of business."

hrasdt

Postby hrasdt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Love this one, but would burning a Kindle actually produce enough toxic fumes to kill eight (or three) people? They [Kindles] aren't very big, and from what I can see from the newspaper, it looks like the people are outside. Also, the wind looks like it's dispersing the cloud pretty fast. Hmm...

Story

Postby Story » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

jc wrote:
lsdigit wrote:Just noticed, the newspaper said eight dead, with the picture showing three bodies. he is killing binary now.

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Three bodies would be "seven dead". To get eight, you'd have to have one dead body, and three undead.

So book burning turns you into a zombie now? We're doomed.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

sliverstorm wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I'm against the kindle for reasons other than 'does not burn well'.

Please provide me more info on their stance. I suspect I am going to strongly disagree, but I don't want to say anything until I am educated.

Basically, appliances are things like game consoles, iPhones, televisions, kindles, and other electronics for a specific purpose. You don't have much control or choice of what goes into a PS3. You can't choose which service provider to get with your iPhone. This puts a lot of power in the hands of a few companies, and away from you. What alternative do have to a PS3? XBOX? Not if you also want the latest Final Fantasy.

With a computer, even with Microsoft's attempt at control, you still have a LOT more power than with an appliance. What if you don't want whatever it is Gateway decided to make? You could buy Dell or IBM, or even build your own. This means that there are plenty of parts manufacturers competing with each other AND with the computer manufacturers. The choices prevent a monopoly or duopoly from forming in any one market. With appliances, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are the only players in the console market, and each one has a monopoly over its own niche.

This is part of the reason I don't like Apple; the older Macs were what Jobs said you should have. Yes, they were more stable than other PCs, but for how long?

riddler

Postby riddler » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Azathoth wrote:Where they burn books, at the end they also burn people. - Heinrich Heine

Well, those won't.

Individual users are, however, at risk of being flamed.

Hectamatatortron

Postby Hectamatatortron » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

I don't like this book. Let's buy another copy of it to support the author we disagree with before committing suicide out of stupidity and financial retardation.

How many layers of irony is this I lost count

RMo

Postby RMo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

HA! If only Kindle books were actually that cheap. More like "Hardcover: $17.99. Kindle Edition: $17.98."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”