0757: "Toot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SorryBoringNickName

Re: "Toot" discussion (#757)

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am UTC

Monika wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:Bz.

Bz?

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

/bad joke
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:51 am UTC

SorryBoringNickName wrote:
Monika wrote:

Bz?

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

/bad joke

I was *just* about to do that. Then I checked the second page, and it was already done. Just too obvious I guess. EOGOOMH!

Btw Monika, this is a very common troll on several websites - like Omegle, for instance.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

Vetseun wrote:table mountain in the background
*twitch* They're called "mesas". *twitch*
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

domino14

Postby domino14 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Ricketts house represent

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

squareroot wrote:
SorryBoringNickName wrote:
Monika wrote:

Bz?

/bad joke

I was *just* about to do that. Then I checked the second page, and it was already done. Just too obvious I guess. EOGOOMH!

Btw Monika, this is a very common troll on several websites - like Omegle, for instance.

But, uh, huh? IDGI.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:49 pm UTC

Presumably this came out of some stockpile of comics and was drawn before the World Cup fiasco. Vuvuzelas were shoe-horned into the joke via the alt-text, but if you intended to reference that, why not put it straight into the comic?
I don't know what to do for you

Mercredi

Postby Mercredi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Oh, gods, is the airhorn ever appropriate here.

As others noted, Caltech doesn't track class rank, which means that in order to know you have the highest GPA you have to put in a fair amount of work doing data collection. Also you have to strategize which courses you take from what professors and which you p/f (since some profs don't give out A+s, which means an A can bring down your GPA). So you have to actually care a fair bit about your GPA and be willing to put in non-academic effort to ensure it's high. All of this points to one thing: a person who _deserves_ to be airhorned by Hat Guy.

I suppose that Hat Guy's victim could be a frosh anytime during the first two terms, which are p/f for all freshman. So long as you pass everything and take enough units you're tied for being at the top of the (freshman) class. In which case, Hat Guy is doing the victim a favor - usually 'Tech beats the GPA-caring-about out of you rather quickly, but some people need extra help.

(Blacker '03, yo)
"The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of Hell." -- St. Augustine (354-430)

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:

That mesa is called “Table Mountain”, with capital letters and everything.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Mercredi wrote:Oh, gods, is the airhorn ever appropriate here.

As others noted, Caltech doesn't track class rank, which means that in order to know you have the highest GPA you have to put in a fair amount of work doing data collection. Also you have to strategize which courses you take from what professors and which you p/f (since some profs don't give out A+s, which means an A can bring down your GPA). So you have to actually care a fair bit about your GPA and be willing to put in non-academic effort to ensure it's high. All of this points to one thing: a person who _deserves_ to be airhorned by Hat Guy.

I suppose that Hat Guy's victim could be a frosh anytime during the first two terms, which are p/f for all freshman. So long as you pass everything and take enough units you're tied for being at the top of the (freshman) class. In which case, Hat Guy is doing the victim a favor - usually 'Tech beats the GPA-caring-about out of you rather quickly, but some people need extra help.

(Blacker '03, yo)

What does p/f stand for? What's a Frosh? What's a Blacker?

"The danger already exists that mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and confine man in the bonds of Hell." -- St. Augustine (354-430)

Is that a real quote?

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

Air horns do not go "BRAAAAP".

Onomatopoeia fail.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

cream wobbly wrote:
BioTube wrote:

That mesa is called “Table Mountain”, with capital letters and everything.

And there are lots of other Table Mountains scattered around the world. Here in the US, there are well-known Table Mountains near Denver and Fresno. It's likely that all the western states have one.

It's an obvious name for a mesa. Especially since "mesa" is a Spanish word for "table" (and a "mesero/a" is a waiter/waitress).

Dvandemon

Postby Dvandemon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

LucasBrown wrote:Image
Alt text: "This is one of five identified situations in which a vuvuzela is actually apropriate."

Um... that's not a vuvuzela... but there isn't much difference.

He never said it was.
Spoiler:
from canada, SirMustapha etc. WHO THE FUCK SAID YOUR OPINION MATTERS???!?

Mercredi

Postby Mercredi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What does p/f stand for? What's a Frosh? What's a Blacker?

Whoops. Spend too long in US academia and you forget not everyone knows US college slang. My apologies. :)

Frosh is a slang term for freshman, or first-year undergraduate student. The term p/f is short for pass/fail, meaning you take a course without a standard letter grade being recorded on your transcript, just a pass/fail. Both of these terms are used at Caltech, and are used (or at least will be understood) at a number of colleges in the US, including where I teach, so I forgot to translate back to standard English.

Blacker refers to Blacker House. Caltech's dorm system is kind of like the house system at Hogwarts (if you're a Harry Potter fan) or Harvard. Wikipedia's page for Caltech has more information if you're curious.

EDIT: As for my signature quote, a cursory google will answer your question. See, eg, http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mathematics#Misattributed.

kelvinc

Postby kelvinc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

I love how at least half the Wikipedia Talk page for vuvuzela is a contest to find the oldest, most obscure proof of their existence before 2010. As I've said on multiple occasions: it's only a matter of time before someone claims thundersticks as some sort of national heritage thing.

I am confused on one point though: isn't "BRAAAAAAP" the international onomatopoeization of flatuence?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Mercredi wrote:Blacker refers to Blacker House. Caltech's dorm system is kind of like the house system at Hogwarts (if you're a Harry Potter fan) or Harvard. Wikipedia's page for Caltech has more information if you're curious.

So Blacker must be like Slytherin? :twisted:

kelvinc wrote:I am confused on one point though: isn't "BRAAAAAAP" the international onomatopoeization of flatuence?

English, maybe, I have no idea. Internationalized: definitely not, this would never be understood as a fart in German.

Salomon926

Postby Salomon926 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

Monika wrote:So Blacker must be like Slytherin?

They're all fine houses

Hix

Postby Hix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Salomon926 wrote:
Monika wrote:So Blacker must be like Slytherin?

They're all fine houses

Except for Booty House. I hear they're all a bunch of chain-smoking kleptomaniacs. In my opinion

Blacker Hovse as Slytherin, though? The name may suggest it, but when I was a frosh, I got the impression that they were rather unambitious on average.
Last edited by Hix on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SomeRandomPyro

Postby SomeRandomPyro » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Okay, so it's only related tangentially, but here's the story:

I don't watch sports. My introduction to vuvuzelas was a friend's facebook status. He was complaining about how it was annoying and only made one note, so my natural reaction was "Kazoos are an important part of South African heritage?". (He did not, in this status, use the name of the instrument; I learned that here.) Anyway, during that discussion, it was decided that for the next world cup, all attending americans should bring electric guitars on which to play badly (on the basis that badly playing electric guitars has been a part of our heritage for decades now).

So anyway, the moral of this story is that if anyone can make it happen, it's you guys. Tell your friends. Tell your trolls. Tell 4chan. I believe in you, xkcdians.
I'm dedicated to binary because it makes all my numbers happy.

enderverse

Postby enderverse » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

I like this one its both current events funny and it will be funny years from now on an archive trawl when I have forever forgotten about this whole world cup thing.

Gero

Postby Gero » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

I've gone deaf from vuvuzela damage to my ears. One measly insignificant little soccer tournament and the whole world has the dam things. It's NOT a cultural icon, it's a dam plastic horn that was invented inside of the last decade. Cultural icons are made over generations. Now it's even in my dam pc. Not kewl, not funny not a good comic.

Jatopian

Postby Jatopian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Air horns are worse. It is harder to damage someone's ears with a vuvuzela, although in bulk anything is possible.
uncivlengr wrote:Presumably this came out of some stockpile of comics and was drawn before the World Cup fiasco. Vuvuzelas were shoe-horned into the joke via the alt-text, but if you intended to reference that, why not put it straight into the comic?
Who cares? Or rather, why should anyone care?

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but my first memory of these plastic horns was during the 94 world cup when someone brought one to a party where we were watching a match on tv. Yeah, indoors, tv, loud plastic horn.

Atomic Toast

Postby Atomic Toast » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

I liked this comic, but I would have enjoyed it more if I knew the idiom referenced in the comic.
On the bright side, I learned a new idiom thanks to this comic.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Jatopian wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:Presumably this came out of some stockpile of comics and was drawn before the World Cup fiasco. Vuvuzelas were shoe-horned into the joke via the alt-text, but if you intended to reference that, why not put it straight into the comic?

Well, there's nothing worse than a lazy "HAI GUYS I LEARNT A NEW WORD WANNA HEAR IT" reference haphazardly shoe-horned into an otherwise decent comic.

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

lingomaniac88 wrote:After reading this comic, I immediately thought of vuvuzelas. And then I saw the alt-text.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!

Randall's not in your f'ing head, he's just been exposed to some of the same memes you have :roll:

I had basically the same thought (specifically: "Aw, this could have been a vuvuzela joke") before reading the alt text. It's a pretty logical next thought.

...aw, crap... did I just get trolled?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:...aw, crap... did I just get trolled?

Wouldn't be so sure... the GET OUT OF MY HEAD's are getting more and more stupid every day.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

Those vuvuzulas(i?) look suspiciously like the horns they used to sell at the annual Get-Drunk-And-Start-A-Riot day parade held on March 17. Those go back to the 70's.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of some comedian who made jokes with air horns, and I can't remember who it was, and I can't remember what the jokes were about, and yet I'm still laughing at them!

Quaternia

Postby Quaternia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

Black Hat Guy's BACK!! :D
Also: first comic that really made me laugh hard. Coincidence? I think not!
Yakk wrote:hey look, the algorithm is a FSM. Thus, by his noodly appendage, QED

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

I was nearly deafened by an airhorn when my brother walked into the room and randomly tooted it.

llyralei

Postby llyralei » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

I smiled when I read this, and laughed out loud when I read the alt-text. Also, did you know if you inhale from an air horn, your voice gets deeper? It's like the opposite of helium.

I know this because I have really dumb friends.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

Jatopian wrote:Air horns are worse. It is harder to damage someone's ears with a vuvuzela, although in bulk anything is possible.
Presumably anyone that feels compelled to read a forum topic dedicated to the discussion of this particular comic. Presumably you'd be content just to read "get out of my head!" posts over and over?

If the joke works with vuvuzelas and you intend on using that to be topical, why wouldn't you just do that? What purpose is there in making the same joke twice using two different types of loud horns? If the comic was made in advance, how difficult is it to replace the stick drawing of an airhorn with a vuvuzela to make the more relevant joke an actual part of the comic? Not too hard at all.

llyralei wrote:I smiled when I read this, and laughed out loud when I read the alt-text. Also, did you know if you inhale from an air horn, your voice gets deeper? It's like the opposite of helium.

I know this because I have really dumb friends.
That blast an airhorn in their mouth? Jesus.
I don't know what to do for you

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

If I was Supreme Dictator, I would order that anyone caught playing a Vuvuzela at a football/soccer match would be punished by being impaled on it.

Deus

Postby Deus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

WhiteAvenger wrote:Nobody is claiming the Vuvuzela is unique to the World Cup. What is unique, however, is that everyone at the World Cup has one - making any football game on TV sound like there's a massive swarm of bees in the house, something that singular large horns never did.

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Wouldn't be so sure... the GET OUT OF MY HEAD's are getting more and more stupid every day.

I was just thinking about XKCD this morning, then I looked and saw there was a new comic... goomhR?
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Black Hat Guy! Finally a decent comic.
Though I've never seen the word 'vuvuzela' before and I'm not going to do Randall's bidding and Google it. Nor shall I check the wiki page to see if there's an In Popular Culture edit war.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

clanders

Postby clanders » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

A garbage comic. And I knew it was leading up to a vuvuzela reference; which, while so easy to make funny, failed.

kerohazel

Postby kerohazel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

"Vuvuzela"... it just sounds so dirty. :D

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am UTC

You just can't hate the black hat guy :)

P.S: Don't mention vuvuzelas... WC10 is over, take a break.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”