0765: "Dilution"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kendo_Bunny

Re: "Dilution" Discussion

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Actually the two statements are not at odds: one says 'always' which is not the case. The other says 'usually', which is the case.

Also, no one would rub plain willow bark on their skin. Willow bark tea or tinctures work as an effective skin treatment for reducing swelling. Salicylic acid will kill acne and is the basic ingredient in most acne medications at a very strong dose, but if acne is being caused by overactive oil glands trying to compensate for skin that has been stripped by too-harsh cleansers, honey, milk, and vitamin E oil works far better and usually aids the body in healing, rather than fighting it. Dandruff that actually is dandruff (with a fungal component) should be treated by ketoconazole. However, if the "dandruff" is simply severe dry scalp causing flaking, putting harsh chemicals designed to kill fungus on your head will only make it worse. In that case, a soothing moisturizer made out of a light oil and rosemary works a lot better.

For antibacterial soap, there is generally no need for it around the house: http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-ca ... ion692.htm I have some, that I use properly (leaving on for two minutes, et al) when I've been doing something with a potentially heavy bad bacteria load, like carving up pork or poultry or cleaning the catbox. I use disinfectant wipes and bleach to clean the surfaces with the biggest bacterial payload in my house and to prevent mold spores and dust mites from proliferating. But for the most part, plain soap and water get the bacteria off my hands without running a risk of developing drug-resistant diseases.

And yes, parsley tea does work for stimulating menstruation. If it's taken is absurdly strong doses, the kind that will usually make a person vomit before it would do anything else, it can be used as an abortifacient, but is usually mixed with something else which is stronger, and if it's taken late in the pregnancy, it can cause pre-term labor. Then again, unless a woman didn't know she was pregnant, there wouldn't really be a reason to take an emmenagogue late in pregnancy. I don't know if anyone has looked into the market for emmenagogues or experimented with them at all. As far as I know, the only one available is Plan B, which some women would rather avoid for various reasons. I think there might be a market for it, but at the moment, all that's available and non-hormonal are feverfew, ginger, parsley, rosemary, sage or yarrow taken as teas or tinctures.

hamaryns

Postby hamaryns » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Thanks to DaveRoss, Pfhorrest and others for giving me some interesting points to think over.

No, I am not a troll, but I understand that you might think so. And thanks for pointing out xkcdsucks, it’s incredible people are wasting their time on that. But hey, I think it’s incredible people are wasting their time discussing on fora like these (as in: reply within 15 minutes).
Hendrik Maryns
==================
http://www.lieverleven.be

jdc

Postby jdc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

Was just reading a blogpost about homeopathy being used for leptospirosis in Cuba and noticed that there was a Russian homeopath and inventor with a name I found amusing. Reminded me of this comic.
Bumbling charlatan

gambiting

Postby gambiting » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:07 am UTC

I stopped reading XKCD after this comic.
Not everything in the world that works makes perfect sense. I may not sound logical, and I may be stupid, but I always use homeopathy and I am very happy with the results. And it's not like I was imaginating the effects - for example, when I have a sore throat,I take a Pulsatilla 5CH + Thymuline 9CH and it's gone in like 15 minutes,and I can feel it. Normal doctor would have given me a chemical-based drug, which is not always necessary.

And by the way, sperm is not water dilutable,so you fail to understand the basic principle of homeopathy.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:39 am UTC

gambiting wrote:Normal doctor would have given me a chemical-based drug, which is not always necessary.

Hexylresorcinol is crying now, I hope you're happy.

Hexylresorcinol-crying.png

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

gambiting wrote:I stopped reading XKCD after this comic.
Not everything in the world that works makes perfect sense. I may not sound logical, and I may be stupid, but I always use homeopathy and I am very happy with the results. And it's not like I was imaginating the effects - for example, when I have a sore throat,I take a Pulsatilla 5CH + Thymuline 9CH and it's gone in like 15 minutes,and I can feel it. Normal doctor would have given me a chemical-based drug, which is not always necessary.
You admit homeopathy doesn't make any sense, and yet you still claim you're not just experiencing the placebo effect.

Of course drugs aren't necessary for a sore throat - it's just a sore throat. If you drink a cup of tea it'll make your throat feel better, and not due to any medicinal properties of tea. Or do nothing at all - I find when I do nothing at all, my sore throat goes quickly goes away and I start feeling better. I just need to figure out how to sell that.

Problems arise when people turn to homeopathy to treat real problems that can't be solved by simply making a person "feel better".
I don't know what to do for you

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

gambiting wrote:And it's not like I was imaginating the effects - for example, when I have a sore throat, I take a Pulsatilla 5CH + Thymuline 9CH and it's gone in like 15 minutes,and I can feel it.

Sore throat = pain. Pain = poster child for "treatable with placebos".
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:49 am UTC

gambiting wrote:I stopped reading XKCD after this comic.

Yet you didn't post about it until now? Eh?

Not everything in the world that works makes perfect sense.
I may not sound logical

If it doesn't make sense, it can't possibly be logical, so no, you don't.

I may be stupid
I always use homeopathy

Again, I am not surprised.

I am very happy with the results. And it's like I was imagining the effects - for example, when I have a sore throat,I take expensive water and I have a subjective response. A real doctor would have given me a real drug, which is not always necessary.

Fixed. You literally used a subjective response to a minor, undiagnosed symptom as evidence that you were not "imaginating" the effects.

And by the way, sperm is not water dilutable,so you fail to understand the basic principle of homeopathy.

If you put sperm in water, you have diluted it. The fact that the sperm will die doesn't really change the focus of the comic, since there won't be any sperm left in the final dilution anyway.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:If you put sperm in water, you have diluted it. The fact that the sperm will die doesn't really change the focus of the comic, since there won't be any sperm left in the final dilution anyway.

Maybe the water memory only works if the sperm were able to live? Maybe water gets depressed at the thought that sperm have died in it, some long dilutional history ago? I mean, if we're to grant water memory, it makes sense that it would only want to remember the good, and forget the bad.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:02 pm UTC

Don't we all want to remember the good things and forget the bad things? But we can't. Why should water get a break?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Because you end up pouring out the bad by the time you're done.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:Maybe the water memory only works if the sperm were able to live? Maybe water gets depressed at the thought that sperm have died in it, some long dilutional history ago? I mean, if we're to grant water memory, it makes sense that it would only want to remember the good, and forget the bad.

You're right, I forgot the "Selective water memory" rule of toe.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”