0767: "Temper"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Karilyn

Re: "Temper" Discussion (#767)

Postby Karilyn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

jqavins wrote:Can anyone tell me why this was funny? I mean, it is a comic; doesn't that mean there's supposed to be something comical about it? All right, there's the Mel Gibson thing, but come on Randall: hows about a joke?

The joke is pretty straightforward.

Mr Rogers is so nice that even during a screaming angry furious cussing fit, the meanest thing he could ever possibly say is "I feel frustrated when we disagree, and I love you" It's that wall of absurdity that he was completely incapable of such an act. It seems impossible that anyone could be like that, it's hilarious to even suggest it... Heck you could even make a comedy routine about a person so nice they are physically unable to say something mean... And then, whelp, looks the joke is on us, cause Mr Rogers is just that sorta person.

Mr Rogers. Dude, I'd say he was in real life, every bit the sorta person that Jesus was described as in the Bible. If only more people in the world was like him. It's a shame that someone like him apparently only comes along every 2000 years.

... Yes I just compared Mr Roger's goodness to Jesus. I dare anyone to disagree. All the more impressive considering Mr Rogers wasn't a <drama> fictional character </drama>
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

Karilyn wrote:... Yes I just compared Mr Roger's goodness to Jesus. I dare anyone to disagree. All the more impressive considering Mr Rogers wasn't a <drama> fictional character </drama>
Did Mr. Rogers let you drink his blood before he got nailed? That stuff has a lot of goodness and tastiness.

Tzvantzik

Postby Tzvantzik » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Diadem wrote:I suppose he's famous in America, but it would be nice if Randall didn't write strips that catered purely to an American audience.
Oh fuck off. Sometimes the comic only makes sense to people who understand math. Sometimes it only makes sense to people who read some specific science fiction story or play D&D. Sometimes you have to know one or more programming languages to find it remotely funny. So why is it so much more of a problem if occasionally he refers to something that happens to be more likely to resonate with Americans of a certain age than with other people?

Note the irony, at least in this thread: Is that something Mr. Rogers would have said?

cypher

Postby cypher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

The DOD should translate every episode into arabic and start broadcasting in the middle east. Maybe Mr. Rogers could pull a few Terrorists around.

"And remember, you are very special. I'm glad to have you as my neighbor."
"Now how the f**k am I supposed to suicide bomb on that s**t!"
find the limit as x approaches infinity of
___x___
(x2+1)1/2
using L'Hôpital's rule.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

*Makes a joke about Socky and Zuppy*

Ha! Take that rest of the world!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Diadem wrote:I suppose he's famous in America, but it would be nice if Randall didn't write strips that catered purely to an American audience.
Oh fuck off.

You know, if you have to respond like that to a perfectly politely expressed sentiment that you happen to disagree with you should consider having the purple in your name removed. Also you should consider doing the world a favour and putting a bullet in your brain, but that's another matter entirely.

gmalivuk wrote:Sometimes the comic only makes sense to people who understand math. Sometimes it only makes sense to people who read some specific science fiction story or play D&D. Sometimes you have to know one or more programming languages to find it remotely funny. So why is it so much more of a problem if occasionally he refers to something that happens to be more likely to resonate with Americans of a certain age than with other people?

I can see your point, but I don't think those examples are comparable. This comic is aimed at nerds. Of course it's going to contain strips that are only understandable with the proper nerd creds. That's different. Also, Randall has made comics that refered to purely US things before, but then I could always look up what it was about, and appreciate the joke. But this comic isn't a joke, it all about the sentiment it expresses. But it's a purely American sentiment (and a specific subsection of Americans to boot). Randall can write whatever he wants, but it would be nice if he wrote for a wider audience.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

Tzvantzik wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Oh fuck off. Sometimes the comic only makes sense to people who understand math. Sometimes it only makes sense to people who read some specific science fiction story or play D&D. Sometimes you have to know one or more programming languages to find it remotely funny. So why is it so much more of a problem if occasionally he refers to something that happens to be more likely to resonate with Americans of a certain age than with other people?
Note the irony, at least in this thread: Is that something Mr. Rogers would have said?
No, of course not. But if you think I'm trying to be anywhere near as genuinely decent a human being as Mr. Rogers was, I might have to beat you up, because it's not very nice to insult him like that.

Diadem: Sometimes when we disagree, I feel frustrated and occasionally let that affect my level of discourse. But I never forget how lucky I am to be a member of the same forum as you. Always remember how special you are. And also that you should maybe get over yourself and not worry so much about failing to understand the occasional xkcd comic.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

cream wobbly wrote:It seems unnecessarily engaging to talk about the kind of material he was describing to them. So you'd be agape, wondering what hugely impressive thing he's going to show you, then he talks about a haircut. Or taking a piss. Or pouring cereal into a bowl.
When you're four years old, those things are huge. I remember watching his show as a really little kid, and it was never boring or disappointing to hear him talk about those sorts of things... because the "mundane" stuff that we grown-ups take for granted now was so new and amazing and confusing back then.

Mr. Rogers met little kids at their level, talking about the things that were real and interesting to them, instead of assuming that the only way to hold their attention would be by blasting them out of their seats with a lot of noise and action.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Tzvantzik wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Oh fuck off.

That depends...we're still talking about Mr. Fred "Mr. Rogers" Rogers, right? Cause there is this Mr. Rogers down the street...

Damn, that is quite possibly the worst possible nickname to try and express in that fashion...

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

I'm glad we all got together today.

ringobob

Postby ringobob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:41 am UTC

Tzvantzik wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

WWMRD?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:39 am UTC

ringobob wrote:WWMRD?

...for a Klondike bar?

(He's probably ask politely, if they were being offered for free, or offer the appropriate amount of money if they were for sale; all presuming of course that he had already eaten a healthy meal and wasn't substituting this ice cream snack for real nutrition).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:02 am UTC

This...

This is like when Zero Punctuation did Portal. I really don't think it's possible to not show respect to Mr. Rogers.

Enero25

Postby Enero25 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 am UTC

I always liked how honest he was with his audience. One episode, he walked off the set and showed the studio where the show was filmed. He was so good he could tell his audience, "See, this house isn't real. But look how hard we work to make this for you!" How many people could destroy the "reality" of their show so gently, and still retain the trust of their audience?

Spectrum wrote:Although he did get some publicity when he joined a lawsuit to prevent the public from using the beach in front of his (expensive) house on one of the (expensive) vacation islands of Massachusetts.

Others have addressed how expensive the house was, but seriously, what is wrong with that? He didn't chase people off the beach with a gun, he didn't yell or cuss at them, he merely filed a lawsuit and let the matter be settled by the law. Lawsuits aren't inherently evil or irrational-and who knows what the people were doing on that beach? Just because you're nice doesn't mean you let people walk all over you. When did he ever tell kids, "Be nice to that bully; don't tell an adult!"?

Did anyone else not like the parts with the puppets though? I always wandered off whenever they went to the puppets-and came back when Mr. Rogers came back.

I asked my parents to build a tunnel for Trolley, though. I loved Trolley.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:
cream wobbly wrote:It seems unnecessarily engaging to talk about the kind of material he was describing to them. So you'd be agape, wondering what hugely impressive thing he's going to show you, then he talks about a haircut. Or taking a piss. Or pouring cereal into a bowl.
When you're four years old, those things are huge. I remember watching his show as a really little kid, and it was never boring or disappointing to hear him talk about those sorts of things... because the "mundane" stuff that we grown-ups take for granted now was so new and amazing and confusing back then.

Mr. Rogers met little kids at their level, talking about the things that were real and interesting to them, instead of assuming that the only way to hold their attention would be by blasting them out of their seats with a lot of noise and action.

This. So much this that I cannot say This loud enough.

This! This this this!

He talked to kids. Not at them, to them.. which is remarkable in and of itself given that he was on the TeeVee and not actually in the room with you, but he never talked down to a kid. Simplified, yes, but not down. He always assumed that you were smart enough to understand what he was saying, but he also understood that you had no idea how the world worked and yes, you need someone to explain to you that .. hell, I don't know, that the water in a bathtub couldn't possibly pull you under, or that while cars are dangerous, they aren't instant-kill-o-matics, or that a haircut doesn't hurt.

And that TV is fakery, what with the episodes where he gladly showed off the camera crew and whatnot.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WebcomicReader

Postby WebcomicReader » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Shit I still have dreams about the drain occasionally.

Drains were terrifying as a child. Mr. Rogers is awesome.

nayhem

Postby nayhem » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Nyerguds wrote:Oh come now.. no one could EVER listen to that man and think the word "badass" :mrgreen:
When was the last time some guy walked into a Congressional hearing, addressed all present as if they were quarreling grandchildren, yet got them to see things his way? We may never again see such valor in our lifetime.

(There was that time John Travolta spoke on behalf of some pseudo-religious organization, but that probably passes for normal on the Hill.)

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Not much to add... Just wish I could be more like Mr. Rogers more of the time, instead of the cynical, bitter person I usually am.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 am UTC

I don't think I was ever afraid of haircuts or drains or all kinds of things that lots of other people seem to have been afraid of as kids.

Then again, I also watched Mr. Rogers, so...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 am UTC

darkspork wrote:I cried. Why did he have to die?

To show us that it wouldn't be so bad when it's our turn.
---------
BlueNight

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Enero25 wrote:Did anyone else not like the parts with the puppets though? I always wandered off whenever they went to the puppets-and came back when Mr. Rogers came back.

I asked my parents to build a tunnel for Trolley, though. I loved Trolley.

I had a dream, once, about following Trolley through the tunnel across a deep valley where the tracks were rickety and old, through another tunnel to the Land of Make-Believe. Those segments were my favorite, especially the Purple season (SF) and the Bubble Opera (Fantasy).

I was always fascinated by the models of the locations in Make Believe. I wanted him to bring them closer to the camera, so we could see more detail.
---------
BlueNight

aurumelectrum13

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:46 am UTC

I can honestly not remember a time when Mr. Rogers didn't annoy me completely. I would specifically avoid watching his show. I have no real idea why: probably, I disliked being talked down to "at my level". I watched Looney Tunes instead, bombarding, brash, and noisy as they were.

I did not, therefore, have the proper cultural background to find this comic funny, even as an American.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:52 am UTC

*nostalgia*

... ahhh ...

Anyways... Mel Gibson screwed up again? I'm not going to listen to that recording.

Big props to Mr. Rogers.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

enderverse

Postby enderverse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:09 am UTC

Just watched an episode, I think I remebered almost every line even though I had not seen any of it for over a decade. I am going to watch some more. http://pbskids.org/rogers/vote/

"Working with Fred Rogers was like receiving a master’s degree in child development. Fred taught by example, and he was subtle—but suddenly you’d realize that, after working side by side with him, your knowledge base had expanded almost beyond description."
David Newell aka "Mr. McFeely" aka "Speedy Delivery guy"

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 am UTC

Zhandro wrote:
SorryBoringNickName wrote:I have to admit that I have no idea what this comic is about.

This probably has to do with Mel Gibson and his arguments with his girlfriend which have been recorded, at least the audio part.

Yeah, well naturally, but who's Fred Rogers?

Apparently the epitome of goodness as referenced in multiple American TV shows, but I never bothered to look him up.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:18 am UTC

To those who say "I didn't know who Mr. Rogers is and so this comic has no significance to me."

Look him up. Watch an episode. It's not unbearable like every other god damn kid's show ever created. Mr. Rogers transcends the element of nostalgia. I didn't remember a damn thing about him except that I once watched his show. Then I looked at some videos and that was enough.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Lode

Postby Lode » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 am UTC

I don't understand this xkcd.

Who is rogers, and why is a "fight" with his wife funny if he says kind things instead of fighting?

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:35 am UTC

Lode wrote:I don't understand this xkcd.

Who is rogers, and why is a "fight" with his wife funny if he says kind things instead of fighting?

Instead of having us repeat ourselves, look through the thread.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

What's going on? Who are all you people? Why am I so old? Why is this a desert?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

geekmom

Postby geekmom » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Mr. Rogers was my sons' first grownup friend outside the family. They are now 19, 21, and 23. I hope today's children have someone as kind and gentle to help them learn about their world.

We miss you Mr. Rogers!!!!

osmigos

Postby osmigos » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

I had never heard of him defending VCR before this thread, but I think doing that really shows a fundamental reason that his show was so great.

When confronting the issue his first thought was "how can my show be helpful to the viewer" not "how can my show be helpful to me".

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

I liked that he acknowledged how scary the world is to a child, and, like he said to the Senate, that you don't need to create any more drama in their lives through a TV program. I just wish there had been a version of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood for every stage in life. He could have shown us how to do our taxes, and what to do when you feel a mid-life crisis coming on...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Interesting discussions to reflect upon. Here are a few

IMHO the point of this comic is that we can all try to be more respectful and calm. For instance, some may consider the recent comics have been unnecessarily mean. Maybe this is one to acknowledge that. Also, discussion here and in general are sometimes unnecessarily hostile, with people getting very upset because some do no agree with what others say. I say something, someone disagrees, and instead of saying they disagree and explaining why, they just rant and insult and curse. From some points of view this serves no purpose.

There have also been comments on who beneficial the show is, and how sad it is that many do not know who this guy is. I do not see this. As good as the show is, it is still basically a TV show. These shows were created at the end of the 60's for the first generation of parent who grew up with TV and wanted something for their kids. Such parents would be very confortable sitting their kids in front of the TV and letting them be babysat. This was not true for all parents, so many adults over 30 were not raised in front of the TV, and would only know Mr. Rodgers if they have kids. This extends to those that were raised in out of home childcare, where TV were often not present and children were expected to play.

As far as the format of the show, maybe I was the wrong age, was probably around 4 or 5 by the time I saw it, but it was seldom something I choose to watch, and I knew how to turn the dial. As an adult, I understand why it is a good show, but the philosophy is something one has to buy into. It is a very different philosophy from Sesame Street, which I also did not watch a lot of. I don't know if it is actually superior to many of the other kids shows on TV at the time. Frankly, I would sy that Rogers pushed a weltanschauung that was typical of post world war ii american, and what many would wish the world was still, but not necessarily relevant to what the world is.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

Trolley was always my favorite, but I loved the show. I should also hang his picture up as a reminder not to be so arrogant and condescending. :(

Mingag

Postby Mingag » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Lol, History channel ;D

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:47 am UTC

i actually have not felt quite as bad about mr roger's death as i do now after reading this thread. when it was first announced i was kinda sad, i watched mr rogers some growing up, but not a lot so by and large he was never a big part of my life. but after reading this thread i feel quite sad that we have lost someone like that, and it has made me feel bad about being such a cynical asshole (i probably wont stop, but i'll feel bad about it...which i guess is a step in the right direction)

also uiri: check the sig, i am your king! ^_^

Notanowl

Postby Notanowl » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:59 am UTC

The alt-text is kind of pointless. It doesn't even try to pretend that it's explaining the joke.

SadinaSaphrite

Postby SadinaSaphrite » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:33 am UTC

SecondTalon briefly mentioned it, but does anyone else remember when Mr. Rogers explained how TV worked, and walked off the set of the Living Room and showed us around the studio? And we got to see the director and the camera men and all that awesome stuff?

Note the use of first person adjectives, because dammit, that's how it felt at the time. As a child, Mr. Rogers was talking to me. Not to a general child audience, but to me and my brothers.
I put the fun back in dysfunctional and the romance back in necromancer!

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

SadinaSaphrite wrote:SexyTalon briefly mentioned it, but does anyone else remember when Mr. Rogers explained how TV worked, and walked off the set of the Living Room and showed us around the studio? And we got to see the director and the camera men and all that awesome stuff?

That's actually part of what led me to eventually study television and radio production in college.

Of course, I'm now a childrens librarian, so I get to do storytimes and teach the same kind of way that he did.

...I had no idea that I had become a Rogersian until now. I can live with that.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

I agree with many others before me: Mr. Rogers was genuinely humble, unflappable, without a mean bone in his body. And utterly honest: WYSIWYG.

Still, I do like the occasional Prairie Home Companion portrayal of him from years back, where Carson Weiler interrupts him or something, and Mr. Rogers (who apparently agreed to them) would take him to task for interrupting when he was not being addressed.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”