0770: "All the Girls"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edbdqt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Re: "All the Girls" (#770)

Postby edbdqt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:02 am UTC

tNok85 wrote:
Diadem wrote:As if that's limited to just women. I bet I can find gay couples with a foot or more length difference.


Which is why I could never be gay. What if I hit it off really well with some guy, but it turns out well.. he dwarfs me!?


This is exactly why I doubt any "study" that makes claims about the endowedness of men based on sexuality.

Just imagine how women must feel: "Not only is he small, he's just with me because he's too repressed to be with another man!"


Anyhoo, I kind of liked this comic. I always hear people (mostly women) saying everyone has a "soul mate", and I've always maintained there's no way to know that. Instead, I maintain some people may have multiple soul mates, some may have exactly one, and some may never have any at all. Luckily, I've found at least one, so that's a game I don't need to play anymore.

Edit:here->hear
Last edited by edbdqt on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stanistani
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "All the Girls" (#770)

Postby Stanistani » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:50 am UTC

edbdqt wrote:
tNok85 wrote:
Diadem wrote:As if that's limited to just women. I bet I can find gay couples with a foot or more length difference.


Which is why I could never be gay. What if I hit it off really well with some guy, but it turns out well.. he dwarfs me!?


This is exactly why I doubt any "study" that makes claims about the endowedness of men based on sexuality.

Just imagine how women must feel: "Not only is he small, he's just with me because he's too repressed to be with another man!"


Anyhoo, I kind of liked this comic. I always here people (mostly women) saying everyone has a "soul mate", and I've always maintained there's no way to know that. Instead, I maintain some people may have multiple soul mates, some may have exactly one, and some may never have any at all. Luckily, I've found at least one, so that's a game I don't need to play anymore.

The Asian myth of the red string of fate, also known as the 'Red String of Destiny' has been explored in a lot of popular culture. I was watching an episode of xxxHolic devoted to this just yesterday. The witch/sorceress in the anime, Yuko, claims that there is such a string, but it may be connected to more than one person on the other end. :)

clanders
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 am UTC

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby clanders » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 am UTC

Creeptastic!

User avatar
Chiffre
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:55 pm UTC
Location: Mars

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby Chiffre » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 am UTC

quadmaster wrote:Aww, Sir Mustapha,
You're like a fifth grader who makes fun of the girl he has a crush on. He doesn't want to admit his feelings but desperately wants to talk to her. It's ok. We've all been there at one time or another. You don't have to hide your feelings from us :). Hugs?


Dear quadmaster, don't make silly advices. And don't treat bullying as expression of love. It isn't. It is about power, not love. Generally, if you can't express yourself in a normal, human fashion, it's better to shut up. I warned you before we come down to shooting.
Old jokes never die, they just generate new functions.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5394
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Chiffre wrote:Dear quadmaster, don't make silly advices. And don't treat bullying as expression of love. It isn't. It is about power, not love. Generally, if you can't express yourself in a normal, human fashion, it's better to shut up. I warned you before we come down to shooting.

I don't think he meant it was an expression of love. The bullying is an expression of fear. A boy likes a girl but is afraid of those feelings for reasons he doesn't understand so when he tries to talk to her her freaks out and says something mean instead. That was the biting part of the comparison as I read it: he's saying SirMustapha likes xkcd (else why would be post here) but here's nervous and afraid of admitting that, like a little boy talking to a girl, so he says mean things instead out of that fear.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

edbdqt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Re: "All the Girls" (#770)

Postby edbdqt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:28 am UTC

Stanistani wrote:
edbdqt wrote:
Anyhoo, I kind of liked this comic. I always here people (mostly women) saying everyone has a "soul mate", and I've always maintained there's no way to know that. Instead, I maintain some people may have multiple soul mates, some may have exactly one, and some may never have any at all. Luckily, I've found at least one, so that's a game I don't need to play anymore.

The Asian myth of the red string of fate, also known as the 'Red String of Destiny' has been explored in a lot of popular culture. I was watching an episode of xxxHolic devoted to this just yesterday. The witch/sorceress in the anime, Yuko, claims that there is such a string, but it may be connected to more than one person on the other end. :)


Cool, I did not know of that. It brings up questions, though.

Is the string tied at birth? I would assume not as it would be common that the people at the ends of the strings may be ages apart. If not then, when?

What if the person at the other end of the string dies? Are you out of luck? Remember, this was a common myth when the mortality rate (and especially the childhood mortality rate) was much higher.

Is polyamory just one big red blanket? Is an orgy a gordian knot?

Why does my string loop back to my other ankle?

And the myth, from the wiki entry you linked to anyway, seems to be pretty hetero-centric. Are these gods republicans or could the string connect to another person of the same gender (or different species)?

I should quit before I get a boot to the head.

scarletmanuka
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: "All the Girls" 770

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:She's like a foot shorter than him.

I'm slightly more than a foot taller than my wife. What's your point? :)

On average, men are a bit taller than women. So why shouldn't Randall draw them that way, especially when a height difference works better for the layout?

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:That was the biting part of the comparison as I read it: he's saying SirMustapha likes xkcd (else why would be post here) but here's nervous and afraid of admitting that, like a little boy talking to a girl, so he says mean things instead out of that fear.


And what's funny is that there's nothing "biting" about that: first because xkcd is a webcomic, not a person, and one has to be either a freak or an imbecile to suggest I have towards a webcomic the same feelings I have towards people; second because I was once a huge fan of xkcd and never had any trouble with admiting it (on the contrary, I was very proud about it, because apparently liking xkcd makes you SPESHUL); third because, seriously, guys, what kind of people makes a comparison like that, as if people relate with webcomics the same way they relate with other people?; fourth because... hell, the more I think about this, the more creeped out I get.

hackerb9
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:42 am UTC

cos(♥)≠∫nªrk (was Re: "All the Girls" (#770))

Postby hackerb9 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

LordBritish wrote:
bitwiseshiftleft wrote:Come on, Randall, you know the condition is more complicated than that.


Actually the comic sucked when I read it first, however the comment of bitwiseshiftleft gave it a geeky reference, considering this it's kinda ok. Was Randall planning this?


I love learning stuff from xkcd and the Stable Marriage Problem is pretty nifty, but I think Randall would have put it in the alt-text if it was intentional.

For some people, judging from the "GOOMHR" comments, this comic apparently rings true. I don't get it. If you're not happy in the local maxima, then make a probabilistic move based on the temperature.

To me, this comic is boring and trite, which is surprising given how much I love xkcd. It reads as the same old, tired, bitter, take-my-wife-PLEASE "humor" I can find anywhere, but particularly in bad joke books that were "edgy" in the 1950's.

What's up with Randall's cynical turn on relationships? Will someone please volunteer to date him and make him happy again so we can have more strips with people actually wanting to be together. Those were always his best: remember the apartment filled with play balls? or the angular momentum of the Earth?

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5394
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:That was the biting part of the comparison as I read it: he's saying SirMustapha likes xkcd (else why would be post here) but here's nervous and afraid of admitting that, like a little boy talking to a girl, so he says mean things instead out of that fear.


And what's funny is that there's nothing "biting" about that: first because xkcd is a webcomic, not a person, and one has to be either a freak or an imbecile to suggest I have towards a webcomic the same feelings I have towards people; second because I was once a huge fan of xkcd and never had any trouble with admiting it (on the contrary, I was very proud about it, because apparently liking xkcd makes you SPESHUL); third because, seriously, guys, what kind of people makes a comparison like that, as if people relate with webcomics the same way they relate with other people?; fourth because... hell, the more I think about this, the more creeped out I get.


I'd just like to flag that I was neither seconding the insult nor complimenting its poignancy as an insult, but merely explaining what the point of it seemed to be (quadmaster was insinuating that you "secretly" like xkcd but are afraid to admit it), to someone who seemed to misunderstand it entirely (chiffre, who didn't grok that people sometimes are mean when they're afraid to admit they like something, which was the crux of quadmaster's analogy of you:xkcd::little boy:little girl).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Richard.
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 am UTC
Location: On the internets
Contact:

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby Richard. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:30 am UTC

i love when people complain about a comic in the comic's own fora. It means you're not only attached to the webcomic enough to continue posting on the fora, but it pops the website up in google newsfeeds and other similar places. so by whining about your dissatisfaction with a particular comic, as if it will do anything, quasi-helping the comic and psuedo-helping yourself (vent rage). If you're going to beat on a comic in the shy corners of a single webcomic's particular forum thread, you might as well be yelling atop a mountain in the middle of nowhere

constructive criticism works well, but whining like an 8 year old through some pent up frustration (or jealousy) is just retarded
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
scottyb
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Re: cos(♥)≠∫nªrk (was Re: "All the Girls" (#770))

Postby scottyb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am UTC

hackerb9 wrote:For some people, judging from the "GOOMHR" comments, this comic apparently rings true. I don't get it. If you're not happy in the local maxima, then make a probabilistic move based on the temperature.

To me, this comic is boring and trite, which is surprising given how much I love xkcd. It reads as the same old, tired, bitter, take-my-wife-PLEASE "humor" I can find anywhere, but particularly in bad joke books that were "edgy" in the 1950's.

What's up with Randall's cynical turn on relationships? Will someone please volunteer to date him and make him happy again so we can have more strips with people actually wanting to be together. Those were always his best: remember the apartment filled with play balls? or the angular momentum of the Earth?

Why must something always be positive (or, to some people, always be humorous)? Although going back ten comics I couldn't find anything else that was not humorous - so this one comic does not make a "cynical turn on relationships."

I don't see how this connects with "take my wife, please!" humor; he (the comic character) has done nothing to suggest that he's bitter towards his girlfriend, simply that his strongest feelings are still for an unrequited love. It may have good timing, but that's to make the message hit home, not to set up a punchline.

It may be a melancholy observation, but it's something that connects with a lot of people, and relating to an audience means acknowledging that our lives aren't going to be full of colored plastic balls. Sometimes we're going to be in situations that aren't right and a good sting like the last panel (and alt text) affirms our choice to leave, if we've been through it and moved on, or puts things into perspective for those who are there now.

I also don't understand your reference linking to simulated annealing but it seems like you're trivializing the emotional insecurities of others simply because you don't relate. I don't know if Randall is personally in a situation as depicted in the comic, or just saw it somewhere and it got him thinking, but I know that I find it valuable to share something like this with others. Unrequited love has probably been the most difficult feeling for me to handle in my life, even though there are other things that have been actually harmful either to myself or loved ones and surprise others to know how easily I've apparently dealt with. I don't dare say "just do this" to people who have trouble in those situations, though.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'd just like to flag that I was neither seconding the insult nor complimenting its poignancy as an insult, but merely explaining what the point of it seemed to be (...), to someone who seemed to misunderstand it entirely (...).


Yes, I was only using your post as a starting point for mine. It wasn't exactly a response to you

Richard. wrote:i love when people complain about a comic in the comic's own fora. It means you're not only attached to the webcomic enough to continue posting on the fora, but it pops the website up in google newsfeeds and other similar places.


It still does otherwise: there are so many technology and computer websites out there that eventually go back to xkcd as "a surefure way to get the geeks and wannabe-geeks creaming their paints", not to mention the constant Wikipedia vandalising, that it's plain enfuriating. Heck, on this year's FISL (World Free Software Forum), one of the lectures I attended used the Exploits of a Mom comic to illustrate one of the points. It was a legitimate "Randall, get out of my LIFE!" moment for me.

Richard. wrote:so by whining about your dissatisfaction with a particular comic, as if it will do anything, quasi-helping the comic and psuedo-helping yourself (vent rage). If you're going to beat on a comic in the shy corners of a single webcomic's particular forum thread, you might as well be yelling atop a mountain in the middle of nowhere


There are people doing pretty much exactly that, and they STILL get people who go over there and complain "WTF you have a BLOG for that? Wow, you must obviously spend 25 hours per day on that therefore you have no life!". No way you can win, basically.

Richard. wrote:constructive criticism works well, but whining like an 8 year old through some pent up frustration (or jealousy) is just retarded


Jealousy? Really? Come on. I could expect that on a Stephenie Meyer forum, but not here.
Last edited by SirMustapha on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chiffre
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:55 pm UTC
Location: Mars

Re: "All the Girls" Discussion (#770)

Postby Chiffre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote: I don't think he meant it was an expression of love. The bullying is an expression of fear. A boy likes a girl but is afraid of those feelings for reasons he doesn't understand so when he tries to talk to her her freaks out and says something mean instead. That was the biting part of the comparison as I read it: he's saying SirMustapha likes xkcd (else why would be post here) but here's nervous and afraid of admitting that, like a little boy talking to a girl, so he says mean things instead out of that fear.

(off) He can still avoid her. And should.(/off)
English is not my mothertongue, so I did completely miss the comparison part.

User avatar
drewster1829
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:46 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "All the Girls" (#770)

Postby drewster1829 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Ari wrote:
from canada wrote:
drewster1829 wrote:As for the comic, ::sigh::. Randall, get out of my head! He stole this one from me, I think. LIke, from about two days ago, give or take.



You told your girlfriend that you think you're lucky to have her because she's your favourite out of all the girls that are in love with you, but that you'd drop her like the ebola virus if you thought you had even the slightest chance with someone who has not expressed any interest in you what so ever?


It's because he's a "Nice Guy"™. ;) There's a reason they finish last.


lol, no, I didn't tell her that. I was more referring to the main comic, not the title-text. I was just thinking in a "what if" sorta manner. And it certainly wouldn't be the slighest chance with someone who has expressed any interest in me whatsoever. It was all in a hypothetical fashion, but it's like this comic was in my head before he drew it (sans title text).

I used to be a nice guy. Now all the girls say "You're so mean!" I've learned that it's a compliment. :wink:
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

User avatar
Little Richie
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:02 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: "All the Girls" (#770)

Postby Little Richie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:36 am UTC

Marius wrote:
xquared wrote:
Fat Tony wrote: Hit a little too close to home. Mr. Munroe needs to, as they say, "Get out of my head".


i second that... one of my rare "randall get of out my head" moment that prompted me to post...

this is so bitterly funny for me. describes the dynamic between my ex and i to a tee. [i was a foot shorter than my ex too!]
at least stick figure guy had the balls to tell it as it is.

[edit: and the other girl in question is a friend of mine]


Same here.

To those who like this comic: If you haven't seen the movie "500 Days of Summer", you should.



I don't quite remember how I got to reading this thread, but I watched "500 Days of Summer" last night on this recommendation. That movie is freaking good. I was skeptical at first, but the directors note at the beginning tipped me over. Great movie, fits well with the ideas this comic brings up.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests