0275: "Thoughts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Iluvatar

0275: "Thoughts"

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:01 am UTC

Permanent link to this comic: http://xkcd.com/c275.html

Title Text: "And now I might never get to again."

As always, awesome comic. Can't say I've had that exact thought before in that circumstance, but now I definitely will next time. :[
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

skyo

Re: "Thoughts" discussion

Postby skyo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:Can't say I've had that exact thought before in that circumstance, but now I definitely will next time. :[

Ditto.
Alt text is kinda sad :[
floop.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I was beaten to making a topic again. I knew I should have just went straight to where the comic was going to be...

I will delete my duplicate, posthaste!

EDIT: Done. Anyways, the moment given displayed in the comic would be embarrassing, creepy, and awkward all at the same time. In other words, this was another success.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 am UTC

ahhh...fresh bytes! lol...

first time I've got to see a new comic that wasn't a day or more old..
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Recently, my girlfriend's father took us to Vegas as a graduation present to her. (University) We stayed at the Hilton. We were checking in, and the check-in lady asked if for the second room was two beds ok.

The briefest of pauses transpires, while I try to focus very hard on the cool waterfall dealy behind the check-in desk.

Then my girlfriend pipes up with quite an authoritative "No." THEN the check-in lady asks, would you like a king size bed?

Back to the waterfall dealy.

Girlfriend: "Yes, a king size would be great."

And the moment of awkwardness is over. Then we find out our room was right next to her dad's room. The beds were on opposite sides of the same wall. And we're in VEGAS. We honestly considered sneaking out to find a sex club or something.

If I ever have a daughter, she's going to be a lesbian.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:20 am UTC

This is why I don't get any sleep. Thank you Randall!

Best post something interesting as well.

This has never happened to me. Well, I met one girlfriend's parents (the only gf ever) but I never licked her nipples nor said that to her parents. Then again we were 14 or 15 at the time.

EDIT: spaceraptor: Best Post Ever. I've heard of protective parents but hey!
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Thought supression can lead to insanity unfortunately...

Although I'm fairly good at it, so thats why I'm relatively crazy :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 am UTC

space_raptor: Two beds is always fine.

Just don't use one of them.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:33 am UTC

@cmacis, wing: Her dad is a very cool guy. I'm just saying. We both knew the situation. Clearly I was going to sleep with his daughter. I'm impressed with us both for not saying anything awkward as hell. Like "I have licked your daughter's nipples."
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Been there, done that (interpret how you will).

Also, I have a daughter, and my friend D spoke my thoughts: "I seriously hope she ends up as a lesbian, because guys suck. We do. All of us. The only guy I'd want her to end up with is (Mighty Jalapeno), because, no offense, I'd fucking kill the rest of you." There wa, like, seven other male friends there, and everyone agreed that if they had daughters, I was the only one out of the group they'd want her to end up with.

So lesbianism is better than being with me :) Woo!
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Edited to white-out possible nsfw content

This reminds me of the time I was caught during the act with my girlfriend-at-the-time. Her mom announced her presence right as I was climaxing. It was the saddest orgasm ever. We were clothed and I believe the incident was passed off as not-sex.

All I was thinking while her mom was standing there was "Look. I KNOW you would like us to separate, but I REALLY don't think you want to be watching when we do."
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:50 am UTC

This has reminded me of a similarly awkward situation I was in once.

Her dad called while we were...occupied. There was an awkward moment of silence before I realized she was going to ignore it.

I felt bad...here was a man probably worried about his daughter and where she is and what she's up to, and I'm copulating with her.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 am UTC

DeadCatX2 wrote:I felt bad...here was a man probably worried about his daughter and where she is and what she's up to, and I'm copulating with her.

Your mind was most definitely in the wrong place.

Besides, it's only bad if she didn't want to partake in the copulation.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:02 am UTC

Yes. It's a weird feeling when your in a room with a bunch of your girlfriend at the time relatives, and they all know that you sleep with her. If only they know I licked her nipples that would be fine compared to the rest of the stuff.

AWKWARD!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:11 am UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

I think that's quite possibly the most and least sig-able quote ever :)

ludwig_van

Postby ludwig_van » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 am UTC

I think the reason this was laugh-out-loud funny for me was because I'm fresh out of high school, and see my girlfriend's parents on a daily basis, and sometimes thoughts like this pass through my head. In fact, I think I've had this one before.

In other words, this is funny for the same reason every xkcd comic is funny.

Kaye

Postby Kaye » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:18 am UTC

OneLess wrote:

I'm tempted. But mainly because his username fits the quote so well.

(Ps, Creemy: How did you get out of that situation anyway?)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:19 am UTC

OneLess wrote:

Go for it.

It'll be worth it in ten years when I write a children's book with that title. You'll have had it sigged since before it was famous. :D

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:20 am UTC

I really love this comic.
I really have nothing constructive to add... *Scurries out of the thread*
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:
OneLess wrote:

Go for it.

It'll be worth it in ten years when I write a children's book with that title. You'll have had it sigged since before it was famous. :D

You know, I hadn't even thought of putting anything into my sig until now. Now I'm going to have to think about what I want to put in there for the whole day...

The cellar dweller

Postby The cellar dweller » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 am UTC

What a perfect excuse to resurrect that thread.

Censored

-4d.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:38 am UTC

Wasn't that never to be spoken of again? :twisted:

...I mean...I steered clear of that thread when I lurked here. :oops:

Don't worry, it's gone now

-4d.

EDIT AFTER LE4d's: This was my 1000th Post! :shock: Note to self: LURK MOAR, and maybe post a little less.
Last edited by The LuigiManiac on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:43 am UTC

lol.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

MathBluster

Postby MathBluster » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Dammit, my girlfriend reads this comic.

She will, of course, find it hilarious.
~MathBluster

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:53 am UTC

Now I'm going to have to suppress thoughts of this comic too so I don't start laughing uncontrollably next time I meet my girlfriend's parents...
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 am UTC

I'm kindof surprised by the number of people who *don't* already have this problem.

It is a near constant refrain in my head.

That said, this is true of any situation that I could make irretrievably bad with a single sentence; that sentence immediately comes to mind, and will not leave until the situation is over.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:05 am UTC

"I have licked your daughter's nipples." Awesome!
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 am UTC

space_raptor wrote:Recently, my girlfriend's father took us to Vegas as a graduation present to her. (University) We stayed at the Hilton. We were checking in, and the check-in lady asked if for the second room was two beds ok.

I had almost the opposite experience. A couple years ago, my bf-at-the-time and I were visiting his mom, and as a belated birthday present she surprised him (and me) by renting this honeymoon-style cabin for the night.

I was kind of like, um... wait... so if I understand this correctly, you're soliciting me out to your son for his birthday?

Despite the fact that I was Shanghaied into it, it was an excellent night.

Pertaining to the comic: I think the urge to say things like this may be a guy thing...

toysbfun

Postby toysbfun » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Suddenly it becomes clear why she never wanted me to meet her parents.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Weird, apparently I think of my girlfriend's parents as just other people for some reason or another, because I've never had this problem. Though I'm sure that I will from now on, having read this comic.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:29 am UTC

Belial wrote:That said, this is true of any situation that I could make irretrievably bad with a single sentence; that sentence immediately comes to mind, and will not leave until the situation is over.

So true. There are times I literally have to bite my tongue or dig my nails into my thigh to keep myself from saying that one situation-killing sentence. Oh, the terrible things I could tell parents about their sons and daughters.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Somnia wrote:
Belial wrote:That said, this is true of any situation that I could make irretrievably bad with a single sentence; that sentence immediately comes to mind, and will not leave until the situation is over.

So true. There are times I literally have to bite my tongue or dig my nails into my thigh to keep myself from saying that one situation-killing sentence. Oh, the terrible things I could tell parents about their sons and daughters.

It's not even just with parents, for me. If I meet someone of another race, I instantly have the most racist thing I could possibly say, on the tip of my tongue. Not because I'm racist, but because it is the *worst possible thing I could say*. Same goes if I'm around someone who's recently suffered a tragedy. Then I've got a mental loop of the most insensitive, salt-in-the-wounds thing I could say in a single breath.

I live in perpetual fear that someone will catch me in an uninhibited state (sleepy, drunk, etcetera), and these things will just slip out. After that, I will probably need to live in a cave.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

coljac

Postby coljac » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Note, this works even better when meeting your ex-girlfriend's husband.

"I've licked your wife's nipples." Heh.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:59 am UTC

It's not even just with parents, for me. If I meet someone of another race, I instantly have the most racist thing I could possibly say, on the tip of my tongue. Not because I'm racist, but because it is the *worst possible thing I could say*. Same goes if I'm around someone who's recently suffered a tragedy. Then I've got a mental loop of the most insensitive, salt-in-the-wounds thing I could say in a single breath.

I live in perpetual fear that someone will catch me in an uninhibited state (sleepy, drunk, etcetera), and these things will just slip out. After that, I will probably need to live in a cave.

Damn. That happens to me too. Plus I have this wierd loop of making mental apologies for an unspoken thought.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

Berge

Postby Berge » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:07 am UTC

Belial wrote:It's not even just with parents, for me. If I meet someone of another race, I instantly have the most racist thing I could possibly say, on the tip of my tongue. Not because I'm racist, but because it is the *worst possible thing I could say*. Same goes if I'm around someone who's recently suffered a tragedy. Then I've got a mental loop of the most insensitive, salt-in-the-wounds thing I could say in a single breath.

Exact same thing with me. I hate that about myself.

ivans

I find it funny...

Postby ivans » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:38 am UTC

... that every time I read one of the comics, I think to myself "he can't possibly get any better than this!" Two days later, I'm proven wrong.

On topic: probably the worst thing I ever said was when I spoke to my girlfriend's sister and father at one time. My girlfriend was very stimulated by having sex in other people's beds.

Anyway, during the conversation, I mentioned to the sister that her bed is really much more comfortable than my girlfriend's which caused her to give me an angry look (she figured it out), while the father looked completely bemused (he didn't figure it out).

etho

Postby etho » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:31 am UTC

I've had this exact thought when speaking to my girlfriend's parents. And, for that matter, much filthier thoughts. Fortunately I've never actually spoken them.

I do, on nearly a daily basis, have to prevent myself from telling amusing or interesting stories that start out with "This one time, when we were having sex..." And I frequently have to restrain myself from saying things like "My new straps came in the mail!"

surrealize

Thoughts

Postby surrealize » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:14 am UTC

"You're not interested in my daughter just for her body, are you?"

<awkward laugh>
"uhhh, no, of course not."

"Name two things you like about her."

"Um, I have named them, actually."

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am UTC

Barbie wrote:I think the urge to say things like this may be a guy thing...

Oh, I dunno. My wife has said that she often has thoughts like this. As far as I know, she has never actually said them. But sometimes I detect a slight grin, and ask her later what she was thinking. She usually says something pretty funny that wouldn't have been socially correct at the time.

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

Is it strange that I'm fairly sure that my g/fs mother would just laugh and wink at me if I said anything like that around her?
They say hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the chance?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”