0773: "University Website"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

michaelyw

Re: "University Website" discussion (#773)

Postby michaelyw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Know what pisses me off? When I walk in the front door of our office every morning, my desk isn't right there in front of me. There's not even a sign telling me how to get to my desk. There's a reception area with some chairs and plants and photos of projects we've worked on - what the hell, that's not what I'm looking for, they obviously didn't design that for my needs.

I have to walk ALL THE WAY down the hallway and through my office door to get to my desk. Christ, it's a pain in the ass.

Luxury! I have to take an elevator in addition to all that.

Giulls

Postby Giulls » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Although my university's website has pretty convenient link categories to most links you may want, and the search button for half of the things that aren't in those links, finding an actual complete map of campus is literally impossible through the website. It appears in no section, and searching for "map" gives you a link to a half completed, mostly unlabeled map, and other irrelevant links. The only way to find an actual campus map is to use the 'site:' tag on google and search for map. First link is good!

Edrees

Postby Edrees » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

HAHAH,, so damn true. This reminds me how store websites always make the store locater the easiest thing to miss on the site, because they put it in a corner instead of putting it in ABC order along with the rest of the menu's on the sides. I expect a comic coming up about that too ;)

romulusnr

Postby romulusnr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

It occurs to me that an interesting idea for website design for a known entity would be to start with a system that asks "What are you looking for?" and then let the content with the highest weights from the answers bubble up to the main page.

Kind of like how old universities plan the walkways that cross their yards: First you lay down just grass. Then you wait a few months. Then you find the lines where the grass is worn down and lay the walkways along them.

Twinklestar

Postby Twinklestar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

Perfect. I just spent the whole day browsing university websites for next year, and found not only was all this missing from the front page but most of it was also missing from the rest of the site, and then read this. Just perfect. I did wonder though if it was some sort of test of commitment, or patience, or if they were just seeing how many times you would end up on the same irrelevant page from clicking promising sounding links that were named slightly differently on every page.

joshg8

Postby joshg8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

I guess that middle section really hits home if you went to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (aka Virginia Tech).

solarein

Postby solarein » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:It gets a lot worse the cheaper the cost of attendance is.

Unfortunately, it's no less true even when the cost of attendance is quite high.

http://maps.cs50.net/

Taymon

Postby Taymon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

I'm going to university next month, and while I haven't had quite enough experience with the website to become frustrated with it (though things aren't looking good), course registration is another matter.

Last week, a seat opened up in a course that I'm waitlisted for. I don't know which one, because the system sent me an email to tell me that a seat had opened up, but not for which course. The email went on to say, "Please do not respond and ask what class is available. Multiple emails are sent via a program that extracts the emails." Okay, but why can't the program tell me which course it is? Could no one figure out how to make it do that? If that's the case, then I have bigger problems--because I'm going for computer science.

That was not the bad part. The email told me to find out which course it was by going onto the course registration site. Which I can't do because the course registration site is completely blocked off since registration is closed! I confirmed that I wanted the seat (it says they won't give it to me if there's a conflict), but I currently have no idea what my schedule looks like or whether I have the courses I need. This is just...wrong.

Also (and this is a much lesser sin), to claim the seat, I had to provide an ID number that is never used for anything. (It was buried in an email I got when I was accepted. Fortunately, I have Gmail.)

SecretofMana

Postby SecretofMana » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Also (and this is a much lesser sin), to claim the seat, I had to provide an ID number that is never used for anything. (It was buried in an email I got when I was accepted. Fortunately, I have Gmail.)

That's your fault more than anything for assuming that an ID number was given to you for no reason at all because you hadn't used it before.

Also, what university are you going to? There should be pages on the sites somewhere which indicate the times at which courses take place as well as the prereqs for your program.

Esoto

Postby Esoto » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

[removed]
Last edited by Esoto on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:This comic is so true.

But not funny at all.

Whether something is funny is always a matter of opinion.
The comic elicited a chuckle.
So did your post.
Just for slightly different reasons.

Theamazingjex

Postby Theamazingjex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Oh God, it is so very true! My school website was so freaking useless and I had to go trolling through the depths of the internet to find useful information on 3rd party sites. I never would have failed out if I'd only been able to look up the correct time of my sophomore year biology class final exam.

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Further complain from me...this time about course registration:

I find it VERY annoying that I can't waitlist for multiple section of the same course/lab, whether if you're registered in one or on the waitlist for one...why can't they just swap my seat when that other one is available? So every time I have to risk not getting into the whole course because I have to manually drop my seat in the section or the waitlist and manually move myself to the other one, hoping no one beat me to it...

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:02 am UTC

My school (Missouri S&T - www.mst.edu) doesn't suffer too badly from this, but my hometown college (SEMO - www.semo.edu) is horrid about this. Well, actually, SEMO isn't too horrible for people who just want basic info, but for current students, it's the worst system I've ever seen...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

fictiveLaark

Postby fictiveLaark » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 am UTC

By far the easiest way to navigate the University of Arizona's website is to go to google and type:

University of Arizona <What you're looking for>

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 am UTC

ohki wrote:…completely useless things: phone directory, billing dates, 10x10 minesweeper, political cartoon of the day, etc.

Of course all the grading stuff was handled by Blackboard... which... yeah.

10X10 MINESWEEPER IS NOT USELESS!
Now that that's out of my system, My school's grading is also handled by blackboard, although most profs don't use it and the even worse WebAdvisor is where everything official takes place. For some reason, it is closed from midnight until 04:45 and every Sunday for "server maintenance". Maybe it is closed Sunday because that is the official Day of RestTM. For those who wish to see my school's site: http://www.evansville.edu
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Deleted
Last edited by crzftx on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:09 am UTC

As someone who has spent countless hours searching college websites for application requirements to absolutely no avail most of the time, I've gotta give major props to Randall for this.

Then again, "Campus Police Phone Number"? "Parking Information"? What kind of a tool are you?
Are you an electric drill? Or a soldering iron? I like soldering irons.

And, interestingly, the exact same Venn diagram could be an SMBC comic and it wouldn't seem out of place at all.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:25 am UTC

If they kept it up to date (such as using the "news" section for posting final exam dates), it wouldn't be so bad. I still wish the guy who had the bright idea of putting a FLASH SLIDESHOW dominantly and putting a SCROLLING news section in the corner (hint, if it weren't in the corner, it wouldn't need to scroll) were fired, but alas, it is not to be.

[edit] And site shortcuts. Seriously, WHAT THE HECK?!
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

Tethros

Postby Tethros » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 am UTC

Too true to be funny. Now I'm sad. :(

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 am UTC

University websites (similarly to websites for non-profits) are not designed for the benefit of those attending the school, they are designed to make the school look as good as possible to potential funders.

cjf

Postby cjf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:07 am UTC

This is so true. I love their search boxes, just enter something like quarter schedule, of final times and you get a link to every professors crappy website with information for 2 years ago for a class in the College of Liberal Arts.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:59 am UTC

Doodle77 wrote:University websites (similarly to websites for non-profits) are not designed for the benefit of those attending the school, they are designed to make the school look as good as possible to potential funders.

So where DO I go to find the list of faculty phones and emails, campus address, application forms, the calendar, the campus police phone number, department/chorus lists, parking information, and the useful campus map?
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:It really isn't that hard to design a web site that caters to everyone. You make one site for prospective students where you put all the advertisement nonsense, one for students, and one for employees. You make it easy to find these three branches from the main page. Not more than one click. And make damn sure to keep them separate. Don't put advertisement crud and stock photos in the student pages. Don't put information about where this year's faculty x-mas dinner is in the advertisement pages. Don't put class schedules among the employee pages.

Union Of V wrote:If only my future University had even a carefully hidden page that I could bookmark, but in their infinite wisdom they've decided to have a separate portal for each Department, Faculty and Course, and spread the info throughout them! Gah!

And if there is a site map, I haven't found it yet, and neither have the dozens of posters who fill the forums with "Where is X" threads...

The problem with the "Portal" concept is you have to classify yourself. Sometimes if you are looking for general information, like a campus map or the phone number for security, you have to guess if the web-developer decided staff, students or prospective students would be interested in that information. Before I complained, the Canada Post website had all of that common information duplicated in the "Personal", "Business" and "about us" pages. I had no idea where to go to find a Postal Code. They still don't use Automatic Content negotiation to decide if you want English or French :P.

In my experience, the University of Alberta website is pretty good, while the NAIT website is very hard to navigate; and requires JavaScript.

drixoman wrote:Further complain from me...this time about course registration:

I find it VERY annoying that I can't waitlist for multiple section of the same course/lab, whether if you're registered in one or on the waitlist for one...why can't they just swap my seat when that other one is available? So every time I have to risk not getting into the whole course because I have to manually drop my seat in the section or the waitlist and manually move myself to the other one, hoping no one beat me to it...

If you have any Computing background at all, you are supposed to write a script to do it for you, or so I have heard. As I said, the UofA was pretty good 10 years ago.
Did you get the number on that truck?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Is it just me or is this (and frogger for that matter) not showing up on the uni.xkcd page?
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

mkill

Postby mkill » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Try attending a Japanese university. All the information you want is on the page of your institute, but don't ever try to find that institute from the main page. Oh, and if they have an English page, the information that gets translated is rather... selective.

But it's not just universities either. It happened so often that I tried to check a park or a museum, and after 10 minutes of slide shows and useless news bits I started screaming (pardon the allcaps)
WHEN THE **** ARE YOU OPEN AND HOW DO I GET THERE!?

Let's face it, if I bother with the website of a place it's pretty likely I'm already decided to go there, I just want to know HOW. So why isn't that information on the main page, when it's right on every promotional poster they ever print?

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Know what pisses me off? When I walk in the front door of our office every morning, my desk isn't right there in front of me. There's not even a sign telling me how to get to my desk. There's a reception area with some chairs and plants and photos of projects we've worked on - what the hell, that's not what I'm looking for, they obviously didn't design that for my needs.

I have to walk ALL THE WAY down the hallway and through my office door to get to my desk. Christ, it's a pain in the ass.

You know what pisses me off? I get a call to come into the office and meet with "Jim". So I come into the office, navigating through several kinds of security, and go up to the receptionist. She has a list of the different philanthropic endeavors the company is going through, a bunch of aesthetically pleasing photos of employees, and a slideshow, but no list of department locations or map.

So I go up the stairs, look around, from one of the papers on the desk I can tell it's marketing. So I go around asking people if they've seen Jim, but no they haven't, so I guess I have to go up another flight. That flight appears to be composed entirely of sepia-toned people working at yellowing reports from 1996, so I don't think Jim is there, so I move up another couple of levels, and long story short it turns out Jim is actually in a completely different building across the street, and he goes by "James", and there are five James and ten Jims working in the building.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Blackie

Postby Blackie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

In retrospect my school cleverly avoided this. In addition to the normal useless website they have a secret website & email server for actual students with everything in the right circle. Thanks private school that seems to run entirely off common sense.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Ghona wrote:

You know what pisses me off? I get a call to come into the office and meet with "Jim". So I come into the office, navigating through several kinds of security, and go up to the receptionist. She has a list of the different philanthropic endeavors the company is going through, a bunch of aesthetically pleasing photos of employees, and a slideshow, but no list of department locations or map.

So I go up the stairs, look around, from one of the papers on the desk I can tell it's marketing. So I go around asking people if they've seen Jim, but no they haven't, so I guess I have to go up another flight. That flight appears to be composed entirely of sepia-toned people working at yellowing reports from 1996, so I don't think Jim is there, so I move up another couple of levels, and long story short it turns out Jim is actually in a completely different building across the street, and he goes by "James", and there are five James and ten Jims working in the building.

Analogies aside, the topic of the comic wasn't poorly organized websites - it was the content directly accessible from the front page of the website. All that other stuff is another issue entirely.
I don't know what to do for you

herbys

Postby herbys » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 pm UTC

A few weeks ago I was polled by the U IT department on what I wanted to see in the web site. I answered "a letter from the dean, graduates in the news and a picture of the U footbal team". It looks like they didn't understand my humour as they thanked me and a few weeks later the football team pic was added to the other two, whic were already there.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Analogies aside, the topic of the comic wasn't poorly organized websites - it was the content directly accessible from the front page of the website. All that other stuff is another issue entirely.

I think the point of his analogy was that the first thing you see upon entering the office should be a receptionist, and she should have ready access to a company directory to send you to where you're trying to get to. I.e. The front page of a website should be a primarily a navigational aide to help you find whatever content you've come to the site looking for, and not just an advertisement for whatever someone at the site wants you to see regardless of your need for it or not.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:Analogies aside, the topic of the comic wasn't poorly organized websites - it was the content directly accessible from the front page of the website. All that other stuff is another issue entirely.

I think the point of his analogy was that the first thing you see upon entering the office should be a receptionist, and she should have ready access to a company directory to send you to where you're trying to get to. I.e. The front page of a website should be a primarily a navigational aide to help you find whatever content you've come to the site looking for, and not just an advertisement for whatever someone at the site wants you to see regardless of your need for it or not.

Really odd. Where I work, the first thing you see when you enter is our receptionist. If you have parked your car and need a parking permit, she fills one out and hands it to you. If you need guidance on where someone works, she'll direct you. If you need a map or a brochure, she has it. If you work there, and you need to travel, she sets it up. If you need supplies, she has them or will order them. Need a room booked for a meeting? Easy. Complaint? Her. Question for the Director? Drop it at the desk and he'll respond.

She also looks pretty damn professional, because she is the first thing (person) you see when you enter.

Website design and layout, anyone?

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 am UTC

That, and the proliferation of old versions of the same course, or courses named the same thing make the search functions far less useful than they should be.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Incompetent

Postby Incompetent » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:39 am UTC

So true. I think most university websites are done by the marketing department, who are thinking in terms of 'brand' and 'image' rather than a functional source of information. It's as if they think most visitors to the site are just randomly shopping for universities and will pick one to apply to/give money to based on a couple of sentences about the 'philosophy' of the place.

I've heard plenty of academics grumbling about how their university's bureaucracy tries to make them use stupid fonts and formats in official documents and webpages (even ones only visible to current staff/students), in order to maintain a consistent 'brand'. It's the same reason offices insist on everyone wearing a suit and tie, even if there are no clients around - they think it fosters some collective identity and helps people remember they are at work. I think the problem here is a total failure to understand the mindset of the typical academic and what actually motivates them to pursue 'world-class research and teaching'.

tonj

Postby tonj » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Randall just created the perfect front page for a University web site. Just add the links and you're done.

chit-RA

Postby chit-RA » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:35 am UTC

This reminds me of every school website I have ever visited. The most recent horror story took place last week, when I visited my uni's homepage to check the results of the final exam. I had been told I would find it on a ticker on the home page, no problem -- but there was registration and login, and when I went to register as a student, the listbox didn't have that option!Of course, registering as a staff member meant absolutely no relevant information (so much for hacking into the network). It took three hours to access my results.

I've heard the CS department is working on a new site with better layout -- and I only hope no one suggests using Flash design!

Singulaire

Postby Singulaire » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:16 am UTC

GOOMHR
I tried using a university website today to find some information on its facilities. After the website got too frustrating, I googled what I wanted and the university's name. I got the opening hours for some chiropractor clinic that operates on campus grounds, apparently...

It was Macquarie University, in case you were wondering. No, I probably won't be going there.

DamnedHeathen

Postby DamnedHeathen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Uhm, hello, nobody has mentioned the library card catalog and hours (including over breaks or the summer)?
What kind of nerds are you?
My uni's library web page can only be found from the front page if one clicks on the carefully hidden 'A-Z directory,' (and it's filed under University Libraries, not Libraries) and then once you reach the page it takes loads of wandering around to find the card catalog.

SuperfluousFluteMusic

Postby SuperfluousFluteMusic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 am UTC

This comic is hard science.

darkspork

Postby darkspork » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 am UTC

My school has this. I was trying to find out what courses were required for a minor in mathematics. I had to guess a URL to find the math department and then go through three links after that. We also have some kind of "course planning" software that tells you which courses you still need to take, based on your current major/minor and a few other things. That doesn't work either. Three courses that I have officially completed don't show up as such, and it seems to be following the outdated course requirements from a few years ago.

Also, does anyone else get LOTS of spam emails from their college? Here's just a few of the emails in my inbox that were sent to EVERYONE on campus:
ATTENTION ALL ARTISTS!! - **HIGH PRIORITY <Fundraiser for breast cancer>
Financial and Administrative Reference Guide <This seems to be a memo to all the teachers. Why do I have it?>
Asian studies new course available! <Uh... ok>
Weight Watchers is back! <...>
Beat The Heat! The Learning Center is cool! <...>

The sad part is that these were all sent during the summer within the past few days. During normal school terms, it gets worse.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”