0780: "Sample"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bobsama

0780: "Sample"

Postby Bobsama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Alt: There are two or three songs out there with beeps in the chorus that sound exactly like the clock radio alarm I had in high school, and hearing it makes me think my life since junior year has been a dream I'm about to wake up from.

http://xkcd.com/780/

I hate catchy albums. Singles tend to suck. :P

LucasBrown

"Sample" discussion (#780)

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Duplicate information removed -B

Sounds like something Hat Guy would do.

sugarhyped

Re: Sample (#780) discussion

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am UTC

I'll comment here. I was going to attempt to make a discussion but the alt text was too long.
I thought the comic was going elsewhere but I smiled. I hate hearing the same song on the radio 3 times on a short drive.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Bipod

Re: "Sample" discussion (#780)

Postby Bipod » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am UTC

This reminds me a lot of the Guitar Hero comic from eons ago.

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:05 am UTC

You mean all the way back at #70?

Spoiler:
Alt text: "And then do it again in a moment now that they're out of Star Power"

DarthMarth

Postby DarthMarth » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 am UTC

"The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater is one of my favorite songs, but it has a sound effect of a car crash in it. Not good to listen to while driving.

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I'll comment here. I was going to attempt to make a discussion but the alt text was too long.
I thought the comic was going elsewhere but I smiled. I hate hearing the same song on the radio 3 times on a short drive.

Most stations are top-20/40/60/100 stations it seems. It's annoying in that you can turn the radio on at 3PM one day, listen to a dozen songs in a specific order, and then turn it on the day after and they're all there in the same order. Most of the local "alt-rock" (and I use that term loosely) stations are like that. I've been blessed with WRPI Troy being a few miles away. Original radio all day with real DJs that actually come in and tend to spin something obscure. Often, you have a DJ come in and spin vinyl for 4 hours--often it's the first they've heard it.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Semi-relatedly, alarm clock noises from televisions, etc., freak me way the fuck out. Fear of school, I suppose.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 am UTC

How to become the world's most hated billionaire:

1. Get a billion dollars

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 am UTC

I don't see how that will automatically get you more hate than Zuckerberg.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Other songs with strange sounds:
"Minimum Wage" by They Might Be Giants has a whip in the first few seconds.
Anything by Apocalyptica (electric cellos!)
Most of Fresh Aire VI by the Mannheim Steamroller features shoreline/oceanic sounds

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Semi-relatedly, alarm clock noises from televisions, etc., freak me way the fuck out. Fear of school, I suppose.

I find telephone rings or police sirens to be much worse. I've actually received phone calls while listening to something like that.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Cake's "No Phone" intro used to do this to me all the time. I'd jerk off my headphones at work and look around for whatever was ringing.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:14 am UTC

There's a song that always finds it's way into Banshee's shuffle, and in it there's buzzing for a few seconds, and every damn time I think a phone's going off on vibrate.

Also, I hate most radio stations here. Half the time they seem to use pre-recorded conversations, too. Once I started to hear the same discussion about gas prices, and then, to confirm my deja-vu, they started the same god-awful cover of Ironman.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:14 am UTC

Reminds me of my relatives' parrot... it can imitate the sound of their telephone quite well, so whenever it wants attention and the family is elsewhere, it calls them over with the voice-telephone. The trick, apparently, is quite successful.

lingomaniac88

Postby lingomaniac88 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Bobsama wrote:Most stations are top-20/40/60/100 stations it seems. It's annoying in that you can turn the radio on at 3PM one day, listen to a dozen songs in a specific order, and then turn it on the day after and they're all there in the same order.

Agreed. One time in a car my sister asked that the radio be turned to a top 20 radio station. She managed to guess the artist of the "song" that was playing before we switched.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

benlukes

Postby benlukes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Did he just misspell "Brilliant"?

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 am UTC

10nitro wrote:There's a song that always finds it's way into Banshee's shuffle, and in it there's buzzing for a few seconds, and every damn time I think a phone's going off on vibrate.

Also, I hate most radio stations here. Half the time they seem to use pre-recorded conversations, too. Once I started to hear the same discussion about gas prices, and then, to confirm my deja-vu, they started the same god-awful cover of Ironman.

Thank Clear Channel and Regent for your crap radio. Then thank some dimwitted station managers who try to compete by swapping to a Top__ format instead of doing something unique. The songs never change until something sensational tops the charts. Not to mention 90% of the stations sound like the music was recorded from a clock radio...

link3000

Postby link3000 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 am UTC

A few songs I like have sounds that are just like the Gmail new-chat notification sounds. It's even worse than alarm-clock noises.

Newto

Postby Newto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:29 am UTC

There's one song I've heard a few times recently that has a "ping............ping.............ping" exactly like the sound my car makes when the door is open and the car is running. Freaks me out EVERY time, nothing like driving down the highway and suddenly thinking one of the doors has randomly unlocked.

alahos

Postby alahos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:30 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Also, I hate most radio stations here. Half the time they seem to use pre-recorded conversations, too. Once I started to hear the same discussion about gas prices, and then, to confirm my deja-vu, they started the same god-awful cover of Ironman.

This happens to me all the time when I tune in to WKTT...

Mike_Bson

Postby Mike_Bson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:31 am UTC

link3000 wrote:A few songs I like have sounds that are just like the Gmail new-chat notification sounds. It's even worse than alarm-clock noises.

I know, right? I have a similar problem, I use the Quake ''blip'' for my e-mail, and when it plays in game in Counter-Strike Source, I think I have an email.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:32 am UTC

That alt-text is so, so fucking true.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:37 am UTC

There's one station back home (I'm at school now) called "The River" based out of Gainesville, GA. They play "classic hits", but I swear it's the same ten songs over and over and over again. If I hear them play Dream Weaver one more time... RAGE

gulnare

Postby gulnare » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Bobsama wrote:police sirens

Also ambulances.
"...i'm putting in my 2 weeks notice,
as of 2 fucking weeks ago..."

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:51 am UTC

WTF is a cellphone sample though, aren't they all samples of other stuff? Recursive sampling?
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 am UTC

My first thought after reading the alt text was that it would be fun to find the songs with the beeps that Randall is referring to, isolate the beeping noise, plant an audio player that plays the noise randomly on Randall and finally laugh maniacally as he goes insane. It'd be similar to using an annoy-a-tron but with an existential crisis instead of mere aggravation.

In regards to the radio discussion in this thread, I no longer listen to radio stations. I instead attach my MP3 player to an fm transmitter. The last time I tuned to a station I was nearly driven mad by inane commercials.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Bobsama wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Semi-relatedly, alarm clock noises from televisions, etc., freak me way the fuck out. Fear of school, I suppose.

I find telephone rings or police sirens to be much worse. I've actually received phone calls while listening to something like that.

The best way to freak people out is to mix them low but clearly audible into a 5.1 SACD mix.
Zanmanoodle wrote:There's one station back home (I'm at school now) called "The River" based out of Gainesville, GA. They play "classic hits", but I swear it's the same ten songs over and over and over again. If I hear them play Dream Weaver one more time... RAGE

I found that one can accurately judge a radio station's quality by their request hours. QFM96 has some nice classic rock. You can also be pleasantly surprised at what stations play at 02:00. The alternative Christian metal station adds techno into their playlists in the wee hours of the morning and the classical station has all kinds of niche classical hours. Saturdays from 23:00 on is the minimalist block.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Benzene

Postby Benzene » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:01 am UTC

One of the songs on Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" album ends with some lo-fi studio banter: "I fucked up the last line". The way my earphones made it sound caused me to think someone was talking to me over the phone intercom at work.
--llo? What beep; I didn't hear anything? Is it even recording? (inaudible) Hey, how do I get this thing to--- *BEEP*

Sasha S

Postby Sasha S » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:02 am UTC

These days, one could almost just leave it at the first bit ...

"Record an album that's nothing but brilliant, catchy instant classics, guaranteed popularity and airtime ..."

As soon as it went mainstream (if it did not start there to begin with), there's a good chance the many in the 'indy rock' throng would rise up against it and find some reason to denounce it, if for no other reason than it was mainstream. Of course, the fact that it was -good- mainstream would just make them hate it all the more. It would be the songs they'd love to hate because they're the songs they hate to love.

-Sasha

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:02 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Bobsama wrote:

The best way to freak people out is to mix them low but clearly audible into a 5.1 SACD mix.
Zanmanoodle wrote:There's one station back home (I'm at school now) called "The River" based out of Gainesville, GA. They play "classic hits", but I swear it's the same ten songs over and over and over again. If I hear them play Dream Weaver one more time... RAGE

I found that one can accurately judge a radio station's quality by their request hours. QFM96 has some nice classic rock. You can also be pleasantly surprised at what stations play at 02:00. The alternative Christian metal station adds techno into their playlists in the wee hours of the morning and the classical station has all kinds of niche classical hours. Saturdays from 23:00 on is the minimalist block.

That's one way to do it. Easier is to position it on the left channel for stereo and put it a bit out of phase (so it sounds like it's behind and to the left of them).

The reason I like my WRPI is because, other than a few hours of news/sports broadcasts, they basically go freeform. Lots and lots and lots of music and rarely is it on the Top200 list.
Last edited by Bobsama on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 am UTC

I feel like the alt-text would've made an even more hilarious comic, personally.
uhhhh fuck.

MrBawn

Postby MrBawn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Steven's Last Night in Town by Ben Folds Five has the sound of a ringing phone at the end of it. It sounded like the chordless phone my parents had when I was in high school. Used to drive me crazy.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:08 am UTC

If there was any doubt after Still No Sleep, the alt-text makes it clear Randall has recently seen Inception.

non, je ne regrette rien...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:15 am UTC

in a related note, I SWEAR the autorun for mass effect on the PC plays a sound when you start the game that sounds exactly like the opening bar of "pokerface"
text goes where?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 am UTC

I can think of a song which has a bit that of background sound in one part towards the end which sounds a lot like a siren. First time I heard it was while driving on the freeway.
'Hilarity' ensued. :x
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Puma

Postby Puma » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 am UTC

I thought someone would have mentioned "Rock the Casbah"... There is what always sounds like a cell ringer in one of the verses.

Zopiac

Postby Zopiac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Ok, What The HECK?!?

Not 5 hours ago I was thinking this same thing! Pretty much, at least. "What if songs on the radio had background noises like what you would hear if your engine was failing, or a sound of a minor car crash (only left or right speakers so it sound like its next to your car)

What a coincidinc.

GBart

Postby GBart » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Escape by Toxic Avenger (Bloody Beetroots Remix) - is that one of the songs you were referring to that sounds like an alarm going off? Find it on YT.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 am UTC

OK, two from hellogoodbye... 'Here in your arms' has a part that sounds just like my phone when it vibrates on my bed, so it wakes me up at night. And 'Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn' has the AIM 'message received' sound.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”