0784: "Falling Asleep"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sugarhyped

0784: "Falling Asleep"

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Alt text:Sweet unintersecting dreams!

How depressing.

Edit: I think this is my first thread making thing!! woot. I hope Randall doesn't have a gf who reads this.
Last edited by sugarhyped on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

oblivimous

Re: Falling Asleep discussion (784)

Postby oblivimous » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 am UTC

zzz

ARandomDude

Postby ARandomDude » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Is it just me or does the A seem a bit detached from the "sleep" in the title? Symbolism maybe?... (yeah right)

PlayingMonkey

Postby PlayingMonkey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Alas, up till recently this is the exact opposite of my life right now =[.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

DesertPlah

Postby DesertPlah » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Ahck, Randall's getting emotional again, and this time he's aiming at me! Welcome to married life, much?

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Randall went "A Softer World" on us.

The overall feeling it leaves isn't the most pleasing, however the detail in comic itself is very nice.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:04 am UTC

This was me last night. Just came back from a week away, finally got back to my own bed with MY BOYFRIEND..

.. only to be woken up at 2am because I was hogging the covers. Ended up sleeping on the edge of the bed so I didn't steal as much mattress real estate..

GET OUT OF MY BEDROOM, RANDALL.

HI JOEE.

itsmattknox

Postby itsmattknox » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:04 am UTC

A Softer xkcd

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:06 am UTC

I'm not sure I approve this use of color; there is a certain degree of appreciation for Randall's work comes from it being constrained art. There are certainly times when color does add, and is appreciated, I'm not sure it added anything here.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:07 am UTC

In that situation I'm sure I'd never be able to sleep for fear of being murdered... it's good to be single.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sasha S

Postby Sasha S » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 am UTC

I rather like the hard feelings wrapped in soft poetic captions, brought home by the sucker-punch of the last panel. It was artful, in an 'ow' kind of way.

-Sasha

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Anyone else realize the second panel is from a first person perspective?

Has Randall done that before?

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Sasha S wrote:I rather like the hard feelings wrapped in soft poetic captions, brought home by the sucker-punch of the last panel. It was artful, in an 'ow' kind of way.

Much like the last words of Grand Admiral Thrawn.

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 am UTC

painful as it is, i do wonder how many couples are actually able to maintain any substantial physical contact all night. After-sex not withstanding, there's only a few comfortable positions that don't result in numb limbs.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

link3000

Postby link3000 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:15 am UTC

For some reason, this comic reminded me of the older xkcd comics that featured landscapes and profound conversations.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 am UTC

myrcutio wrote:painful as it is, i do wonder how many couples are actually able to maintain any substantial physical contact all night. After-sex not withstanding, there's only a few comfortable positions that don't result in numb limbs.

Numb limbs are the fail. Then again, I toss and turn in my sleep, so any 'preztel' position that includes contact is reset every 30 minutes.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:18 am UTC

DesertPlah wrote:Ahck, Randall's getting emotional again, and this time he's aiming at me! Welcome to married life, much?

He's in my room, too! I like how accurately he's drawn my wife throttling the hell out of her pillow...

Hi honey! :D

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:18 am UTC

OK, fourth panel ... what is the spot between the pillows?
Did someone barf?
Slobber residue?
Moon beams?

Comic reminds me of a song from my youth:
Oh yeah, life goes on,
Long after the thrill of livin' is gone.
-John Mellencamp: Jack And Diane
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

joee

Postby joee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 am UTC

HI GLASNT

My bf steals the covers, and is far too warm for me to be comfortable sleeping next to him.
Hi glasnt.

Kranerian

Postby Kranerian » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 am UTC

XbHW_TestEngr wrote:OK, fourth panel ... what is the spot between the pillows?
Did someone barf?
Slobber residue?
Moon beams?

Lack of shadow.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Um, am I the only one who, instead of finding this depressing or emotional, just burst out laughing? It was the alt-text that really did it, but still.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Greyarcher

Postby Greyarcher » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:34 am UTC

I got a chuckle out of this one. The setup made me expect a warm fuzzy romance comic, but the punchline was a subversion instead.
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.

unpredictable

Postby unpredictable » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:44 am UTC

Leaving the world behind ... and his girlfriend is his world...he's leaving her behind and going to sleep :D

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Well, you have to leave her behind SOMEtime, or she'll NEVER get to sleep.

Hint: It's a homonym!

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:24 am UTC

There is no spooning.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

JordanM

Postby JordanM » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:39 am UTC

May I point out what appears to be an alt-text Inception reference?

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 am UTC

I think the word "Burn" is appropriate with this one. Sweet unintersecting dreams, everyone.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

melladh

Postby melladh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 am UTC

myrcutio wrote:painful as it is, i do wonder how many couples are actually able to maintain any substantial physical contact all night. After-sex not withstanding, there's only a few comfortable positions that don't result in numb limbs.

Well, while that is difficult, there's also a difference between not being able to maintain contact, and after looking at your partner for a while, crawl as far away as possible while still staying on the bed. ;)

Though in a way it reminds me of a friend who had a tendency to hit people in her sleep. If sleeping in the same room, you made sure you stayed out of range!
Image Image

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am UTC

Sometimes it needs to be said. This is one such time. And not a happy one.
RANDALL GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
:(
/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:17 am UTC

10nitro wrote:I'm not sure I approve this use of color; there is a certain degree of appreciation for Randall's work comes from it being constrained art. There are certainly times when color does add, and is appreciated, I'm not sure it added anything here.

QQQQQ
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

Ego

Postby Ego » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 am UTC

ahhhh she is so cute grabbing pillow

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 am UTC

glasnt wrote:This was me last night. Just came back from a week away, finally got back to my own bed with MY BOYFRIEND..

Oh, you have a boyfriend. Are you going to get married?
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

A stranger here myself

Postby A stranger here myself » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:46 am UTC

I notice that the man is sleeping on the left hand side of the bed, which is relatively unusual. Is Randall by any chance left handed?

richardr

Postby richardr » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am UTC

I notice that the man is sleeping on the left hand side of the bed, which is relatively unusual. Is Randall by any chance left handed?

Do you have the references to support this - or is personal research as yet unpublished?
If the latter, then I'll add a data point that I'm right handed, but sleep on the left side. :-)

baralong

Postby baralong » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 am UTC

A stranger here myself wrote:I notice that the man is sleeping on the left hand side of the bed, which is relatively unusual. Is Randall by any chance left handed?

I don't think that the left side is unusual for a man. I've always slept on that side (I'm a right handed male with a female partner)

I did hear/read some discussion about men wanting to sleep closest to the door.

BTW http://ask.metafilter.com/136280/According-to-tradition-which-side-of-the-bed-should-a-man-sleep-on (after a lazy google) doesn't seem to indicate a tradition

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:34 am UTC

I always sleep like that when I'm with a girl. Not because I dislike the girl in question, but because for some reason I just love lying on the edge of my bed :P
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am UTC

Well we're completely insane, neurotic, compulsively needy, and clingy to each other. AKA we're absolutely perfect for each other.

We generally wind up in one of four sleeping positions, all of which have substancial physical contact.

1. On our sides, spooning each other.
2. On our sides, face to face, with our top arms hugging each other, and our lower arms clutched to our chests.
3. On our backs, snuggled as close to each other as possible, with our arms and legs in some sort of tangled together.
4. A variation on spooning which has the her holding me while I sleep on my stomach with her arms and legs wrapped around me, because sometimes I like to sleep on my stomach.

We both absolutely freak out at the idea of not sleeping right on top of each other, and end up actually tend to become angry at each other if one of us thinks for some reason the other isn't trying to get as close to each other as possible. Neither of us toss or turn after we fall asleep, but we do tend to change positions a few hundred times before we actually fall asleep. We don't care how uncomfortable or hot it is, we must be RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

A stranger here myself wrote:I notice that the man is sleeping on the left hand side of the bed, which is relatively unusual. Is Randall by any chance left handed?
I dunno how if the same pattern works for lesbians, but my partner tend to switch which side of the bed we sleep on when we move from house to house. I prefer sleeping closer to a wall, so which side we sleep on tends to be related to where our bed is situated in the room (It's never in the center). Enjoy having a really useless datapoint. We've lived in 4 different houses. And I slept on the right, right, left, left, in that order.

EDIT: Wait. Is this right or left from standing at the foot of the bed, or lying down on the bed on your backs?
Last edited by Karilyn on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

pfloriani

Postby pfloriani » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:06 am UTC

So, dreams that are parallel and/or on different planes?

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

I find a height difference helps, especially with spooning. Means my head is well under his chin and the angles tesselate nicely.

We sleep this way round. It's so he is nearer the door. We are another "depends on the room" kinda couple, except that if we are in a hotel room or other temporary arrangement we sleep the way round our currently-normal bed is.

10nitro wrote:I'm not sure I approve this use of color; there is a certain degree of appreciation for Randall's work comes from it being constrained art. There are certainly times when color does add, and is appreciated, I'm not sure it added anything here.

I'm not sure that it would have worked in black-and-white unless it was largely black - being obviously nighttime. The colour aspect helps with the "it's nighttime" thing without its being too definitely black. And red is sexy/comforting/sensual/romantic.

I don't think I got the alt-text, really. Auntie Google didn't point me to anything meaningful when I searched for "intersecting dreams" so I'm guessing it just means "when we both have a bit of the same dream". I find that happens when you share a day - and couples often do share at least part of their day.

I found the comic romantic and happy - being confident and secure (and sated :twisted: ) enough to get a good night's sleep is a sign of a great relationship, surely?
Dudes, I'm a woman.

cheezehog

Postby cheezehog » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Karilyn wrote:
Well we're completely insane, neurotic, compulsively needy, and clingy to each other. AKA we're absolutely perfect for each other.

We generally wind up in one of four sleeping positions, all of which have substancial physical contact.

1. On our sides, spooning each other.
2. On our sides, face to face, with our top arms hugging each other, and our lower arms clutched to our chests.
3. On our backs, snuggled as close to each other as possible, with our arms and legs in some sort of tangled together.
4. A variation on spooning which has the her holding me while I sleep on my stomach with her arms and legs wrapped around me, because sometimes I like to sleep on my stomach.

We both absolutely freak out at the idea of not sleeping right on top of each other, and end up actually tend to become angry at each other if one of us thinks for some reason the other isn't trying to get as close to each other as possible. Neither of us toss or turn after we fall asleep, but we do tend to change positions a few hundred times before we actually fall asleep. We don't care how uncomfortable or hot it is, we must be RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

I dunno how if the same pattern works for lesbians, but my partner tend to switch which side of the bed we sleep on when we move from house to house. I prefer sleeping closer to a wall, so which side we sleep on tends to be related to where our bed is situated in the room (It's never in the center). Enjoy having a really useless datapoint. We've lived in 4 different houses. And I slept on the right, right, left, left, in that order.

EDIT: Wait. Is this right or left from standing at the foot of the bed, or lying down on the bed on your backs?

lol

Also, it's "lying down on the bed on your backs". Like the left ventricle.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”