0785: "Open Mic Night"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

natey

Re: "Open Mic Night" discussion (#785)

Postby natey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

Alternate alt text: "oooh so that's why I can't get a date"
I liked the second and last panels the best. People in hats are awesome

Nymphti

Postby Nymphti » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

UGH, I hate to be "that chick," but... :oops:

Aphasia is a debilitating neurological impairment that comes about as the result of a stroke, tumor, or brain injury. It takes an awful lot to offend me, but I gotta say it's really cruel to poke fun at people with this disease. :x

It's not just a matter of forgetting a word here or there, or blanking on what you want to say from stage fright. It's never being able to speak or understand language for the rest of your life. This is because either because the grammar and vocabulary don't come out at all (non-fluent aphasia), or because you don't understand what others say and what you say comes out garbage (fluent aphasia). That means no social life, not being able to talk to your loved ones, not being able to communicate your needs or wants, not being able to sing along to your favorite song. Forever. It can affect speaking, listening, reading, writing, a combination of those, or (in the worse cases) all of the above.

It'd be like poking fun of multiple sclerosis patients for being "clumsy" or Downs Syndrome kids for being "stupid." I love XKCD and often post them on my corkboard, but this one was really aggravating.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

People laugh at the clinically retarded all the time.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

TzeraFNX

Postby TzeraFNX » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

I'm probably biased, but beret guy's panel changed this from a boring comic to hilarious! :-D

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

At first I thought the MC in the third panel was a reference to Escher (which would have been very fitting, of course, for that panel). Then I noticed there was MC in the first panel too. Turns out it means 'microphone controller', though it can also stand for 'main character' so I'm sticking with that one, in this case :)

Anyway, good jokes. Loved the 2nd and 4th one. The idea of women going to the toilet clad in battle armour made me laugh out loud.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Ha! Ha! I think I got it. :D Open Mic Night... In Silicon Valley.

I've had similar laughs and jokes with UNIX/Linux Jedi Masters.

Marbl3s

Postby Marbl3s » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

#3 gets a lot better if you know about this:

Quines are named after philosopher Willard Van Orman Quine (1908–2000), who made an extensive study of indirect self-reference. He coined, among others, the following paradox-producing expression, known as Quine's paradox:

"Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Having said that, text of nr 3 could also be:
Yo, I'm M.C. Droste, And I'm here to say, "Yo, I'm M.C. Droste, And I'm here to say, "Yo, I'm M.C. Droste, And I'm here to say, "Yo, I'm M.C. Droste, And I'm here to say.....

ok, I'm going to look to the other ones now...

theflatworm

Postby theflatworm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Nymphti wrote:UGH, I hate to be "that chick," but... :oops:

Aphasia is a debilitating neurological

[...]

It'd be like poking fun of multiple sclerosis patients for being "clumsy" or Downs Syndrome kids for being "stupid."

I'm pretty sure you could some good gags out of either!

In all seriousness, though, the point of the panel wasn't to poke fun at people with Aphasia, it was poking fun of an amusing situation involving Aphasia. I know the difference is subtle, but it's somewhat crucial. I am reminded of a Gary Larson comic, wherein William Tell has a less fortunate brother with Gigantism...

double entendre

Postby double entendre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Can somebody explain the humour of panel 4?

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Explaining humour usually takes the humour out of it, but it comes mostly from the fact that woman going to the bathroom in groups is overused for comedy purposes and then some more.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

idanbb wrote:In "Hitchhiker", his (excellent) biography of Douglas Adams, M.J. Simpson notes that Adams's later books tend to have more jokes on dinners in restaurants and accountants, and less jokes on slumming things out and having no money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchhiker ... glas_Adams

I remember hearing this. Actually these started as early as The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where Milliways is the most extravagant restaurant in the galaxy and Disaster Area are so rich their earnings "push the boundaries of hypermathematics". And that book was part of the original radio series, written before the first book even came out. So it could just be a coincidence.

WontonSoup wrote:I liked how the fourth panel had a beat at first, it sounded like a poem to me.

Ever notice how men go to the restroom alone
While women go in hordes ten thousand strong

Hey, iambic pentameter in the second line! I wonder if that was intentional.

theflatworm wrote:I am reminded of a Gary Larson comic, wherein William Tell has a less fortunate brother with Gigantism...

Difference is, the caption didn't mention Gigantism by name anywhere.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

clanders

Postby clanders » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Ever notice how the more successful xkcd becomes, the less funny it gets?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Not content with making comics with a boring joke, Randall Munroe goes forth and makes a comic with FOUR boring jokes in a row.

That's some effort right there.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Not content with making comics with a boring joke, Randall Munroe goes forth and makes a comic with FOUR boring jokes in a row.

I'm confused... why are you still here?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

flyingdics

Postby flyingdics » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:At first I thought the MC in the third panel was a reference to Escher (which would have been very fitting, of course, for that panel). Then I noticed there was MC in the first panel too. Turns out it means 'microphone controller', though it can also stand for 'main character' so I'm sticking with that one, in this case :)

MC originally stands for "Master of Ceremonies". This is the sense it was used in when it became a common term in hip hop. Later on, other acronyms may have been retroactively applied.

This comic was awesome. It hit all my ravenous standup fan and Cognitive Science degree spots.

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
theflatworm wrote:I am reminded of a Gary Larson comic, wherein William Tell has a less fortunate brother with Gigantism...

Difference is, the caption didn't mention Gigantism by name anywhere.

Larson actually discussed this in The Prehistory of The Far Side. Two comics he did, the William Tell one, and one in which two people with large heads stumble out of the jungle "and into headhunter legend forever", received angry letters from folks with Macrocephaly. Larson explained that he wasn't trying to make jokes about people with that disease, just make humor with situations where someone with a larger than normal head would lead to outrageous results. The assumption was that he was deliberately poking fun at the disease, which wasn't so.

(It's a great book because of those odd tidbits - my favorite is when he got an angry letter from someone at the Jane Goodall's institute after he did the comic about a gorilla's angry wife demanding whether he'd been "Conducting a little more 'research' with that Jane Goodall tramp?" Goodall herself, however, loved the cartoon, and after the misunderstanding was cleared up, they set it up so the Institute could sell tshirts with the comic on them.)
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

I didn't even try to get it since I have a feeling it's been already done much better.
WTF Collective

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

Man, I hate flying hotels...
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

AlsoPenCover wrote:Panel 3 is not a quine. Good job.

And Panel 1 isn't an example of aphasia. It's closer to very sudden amnesia.

dexeron wrote:Larson actually discussed this in The Prehistory of The Far Side. Two comics he did, the William Tell one, and one in which two people with large heads stumble out of the jungle "and into headhunter legend forever", received angry letters from folks with Macrocephaly. Larson explained that he wasn't trying to make jokes about people with that disease, just make humor with situations where someone with a larger than normal head would lead to outrageous results. The assumption was that he was deliberately poking fun at the disease, which wasn't so.

Sounds like Randall's situation.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Tophe

Postby Tophe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

UGH, I hate to be "that guy," but...

Aphasia is a debilitating neurological impairment that has been used in episodes of several TV series including ST:DS9, Battlestar Galactica and The Twilight Zone.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

All jokes offend someone. Some jokes offend more people than others.

For the record, I think more people are afflicted with Black Hats illness than that of the first girl.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

It's a web comic. Get over it, move on with your life. Don't let some random post from someone on the internet you don't even know, nor will you ever know, that wasn't even targeted at you, offend you. Seriously.

alxndr

Postby alxndr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

Made some members of the Quine family laugh...

(I'm WVQ's second grandson.)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

my wife has aphasia, and once you are used to it, its not that big a deal. You just learn to be a bit more patient when she is trying to talk, like "Do you mind getting the paperclip out of the big white box in the kitchen that gets food cold?"

"Yes, I'll the cheese out of the refrigerator, do you want anything else?"
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Not content with making comics with a boring joke, Randall Munroe goes forth and makes a comic with FOUR boring jokes in a row.

I'm confused... why are you still here?

Because I want to.

Anything confusing about that?

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

This is the first comic that made me actually laugh and smile in a while. The thought of women clad in medieval battle armor going to the bathroom is hilarious.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Because I want to.

Anything confusing about that?

Yes: the part where you "want to." If you've been railing against the quality of comics for long enough that people know you as the resident malcontent, the fact that you are still here may qualify under Einstein's definition of "insanity."

santiago

Postby santiago » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Weird, until yesterday I had never heard any rap intentionally and today I open up xkcd while listenting to some beastie boys song and see this.

JamesGecko

Postby JamesGecko » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:38 am UTC

I love the quine panel. I'm probably biased, because I think quines rank among the most neat, most elegant, and most useless programs I've seen so far.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:17 am UTC

StNowhere wrote:If you've been railing against the quality of comics for long enough that people know you as the resident malcontent, the fact that you are still here may qualify under Einstein's definition of "insanity."

Are you sure? Recently I notice more and more people echoeing my sentiments. So if I actually expected to get always the same results, I'd be frustrated.

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 am UTC

The use of quine in panel 3 is from Gödel, Escher, Bach (although technically it's inverted). I think "quine" as a self-replicating program derives from that usage.

"Is difficult to say with aphasia" is difficult to say with aphasia.

zapakh

Postby zapakh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 am UTC

I loved the third panel enough to post "I loved the third panel enough to post".

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:32 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
StNowhere wrote:If you've been railing against the quality of comics for long enough that people know you as the resident malcontent, the fact that you are still here may qualify under Einstein's definition of "insanity."

Are you sure? Recently I notice more and more people echoeing my sentiments. So if I actually expected to get always the same results, I'd be frustrated.

Oh, I was thinking that the point of your posting was that you expected (in your opinion) better comics. If your aim is to make everyone as jaded as you, soldier on.

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:46 am UTC

ok i thought the first panel was a reference to this epic song by jon lajoie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4zF36dPxE

i thought the comic was alright but the alt text was the deal clincher lol.
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

mric

Postby mric » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Shpow wrote:And Quine would be all "I'm M.C. Quine and did you know you can NEVER make a foreigner laugh? The punch lines are always incommunicable and incommensurable! HAH!

Hmm. I think that Quine would probably say that the punch lines have multiple possible renditions in another language, and that the possibility of pragmatically finding a funny rendition doesn't vitiate the philosophical point of the fundamental indeterminacy of translation. So jokes can be translated, but there is no single right translation. And then he would say something about undetached rabbit parts.

melladh

Postby melladh » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 am UTC

Far too few observational comedians focus on the orcs.
Image Image

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
AlsoPenCover wrote:Panel 3 is not a quine. Good job.

And Panel 1 isn't an example of aphasia. It's closer to very sudden amnesia.

My grandfather had PPA and that is almost exactly how it affected him...
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Adaro

Postby Adaro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

The last panel amused me.I am satiated.

tipo test

Postby tipo test » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

how would an actual human quine be like?

TimeSpaceMage

Postby TimeSpaceMage » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

melladh wrote:Far too few observational comedians focus on the orcs.

Those aren't orcs; those are lug nuts!

dexeron wrote:Larson actually discussed this in The Prehistory of The Far Side. Two comics he did, the William Tell one, and one in which two people with large heads stumble out of the jungle "and into headhunter legend forever", received angry letters from folks with Macrocephaly. Larson explained that he wasn't trying to make jokes about people with that disease, just make humor with situations where someone with a larger than normal head would lead to outrageous results. The assumption was that he was deliberately poking fun at the disease, which wasn't so.

(It's a great book because of those odd tidbits - my favorite is when he got an angry letter from someone at the Jane Goodall's institute after he did the comic about a gorilla's angry wife demanding whether he'd been "Conducting a little more 'research' with that Jane Goodall tramp?" Goodall herself, however, loved the cartoon, and after the misunderstanding was cleared up, they set it up so the Institute could sell tshirts with the comic on them.)

Hey yeah, I liked the one where someone got offended at his comic on crocodiles playing "Bobbing for Poodles." I mean, what would you expect them to eat?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”