0788: "The Carriage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
unus vox
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby unus vox » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:16 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:
unus vox wrote:I teach this poem in my poetry unit. I will absolutely show my students this comic after we read through the poem. Thanks Randall.


Sooooo, you don't like your students.


Was that a gibe at the poem or the comic? :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image

ladypheonix117
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby ladypheonix117 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 am UTC

I LOVED this strip! It has additional personal meaning for me, because we just read that poem in school. It was definitely a weird moment. :mrgreen:

St_Fred
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby St_Fred » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:37 am UTC

dms33 wrote:
thebluefairy wrote:Another tune that works is the Australian national anthem.
Of course, it works the other way around too, so I always end up trying to sing the anthem to the tune of Gilligan's island :)



Yeah, but put as Adam Hills demonstrates, it's awesome when sung to the tune of working class man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weuD3z0YmYI


Durnit, I wanted to say this :) I think Working Class man works better than HotRS personally

RogueCynic
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

musashi1600 wrote:I always found it amusing how the opening credits of Gilligan's Island would show the SS Minnow departing from Ala Wai Boat Harbor on its "three-hour tour", then show Coconut Island as the "uncharted island" at the end.

Felstaff wrote:You will now be singing the poem to the tune of Auld Lang Syne


"Auld Lang Syme" is also in the same meter as "America the Beautiful". :twisted:


I'm on a 486 at the moment. Can someone post directions to Ala Wai Boat Harbor from Hyde Park, Massachusetts, please? I'd like to see how Mapquest resolves the pesky sea issue. I think the fact that it would take three hours to go from the port to Coconut Island is a testament to Jonah Grumby's nautical skills.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3673
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
glasnt wrote:So lucky I don't know what Gilligan's island is.

...wtf?

That's like saying you've never heard of the Brady Bunch or I Love Lucy.

I don't know Brady Bunch or I Love Lucy, but I have heard of Gilligan's Island.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3673
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

ladypheonix117 wrote:I LOVED this strip! It has additional personal meaning for me, because we just read that poem in school. It was definitely a weird moment. :mrgreen:

Thanks for phrasing it like this and not writing "Get out of my head, Randell" instead.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
Werewolf
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:35 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Werewolf » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

It's just annoying when people do that.

User avatar
Stanistani
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Stanistani » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:44 am UTC

Monika wrote:
ladypheonix117 wrote:I LOVED this strip! It has additional personal meaning for me, because we just read that poem in school. It was definitely a weird moment. :mrgreen:

Thanks for phrasing it like this and not writing "Get out of my head, Randell" instead.

Get out of my head, The Rondelles!

User avatar
musashi1600
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 am UTC
Location: Hawaii

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby musashi1600 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
musashi1600 wrote:I always found it amusing how the opening credits of Gilligan's Island would show the SS Minnow departing from Ala Wai Boat Harbor on its "three-hour tour", then show Coconut Island as the "uncharted island" at the end.

Felstaff wrote:You will now be singing the poem to the tune of Auld Lang Syne


"Auld Lang Syme" is also in the same meter as "America the Beautiful". :twisted:


I'm on a 486 at the moment. Can someone post directions to Ala Wai Boat Harbor from Hyde Park, Massachusetts, please? I'd like to see how Mapquest resolves the pesky sea issue. I think the fact that it would take three hours to go from the port to Coconut Island is a testament to Jonah Grumby's nautical skills.


Mapquest just returns a message saying it can't figure out a route. Google Maps is a bit more interesting, since it includes "Kayak across the Pacific Ocean (2,756 miles).
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

melladh
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby melladh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

"Emily Dickinson has died of dysentery"

I haven't even played Oregon Trail and yet that's all I can think about when I see this comic.
Image Image

User avatar
Euphonium
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:17 pm UTC
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Euphonium » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Did anyone else listen to NPR's "Way With Words" radio program yesterday afternoon?

User avatar
jc
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby jc » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

LucasBrown wrote:You're right, this is better than most...

I don't know the Gilligan theme, but I know some other annoying ballad meter tunes. Thanks, Randall.


I heard the text to the tune of Amazing Grace. Which means that it would also work with the tune for House of the Rising Sun.

RogueCynic
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby RogueCynic » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

musashi1600 wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:
musashi1600 wrote:I always found it amusing how the opening credits of Gilligan's Island would show the SS Minnow departing from Ala Wai Boat Harbor on its "three-hour tour", then show Coconut Island as the "uncharted island" at the end.

Felstaff wrote:You will now be singing the poem to the tune of Auld Lang Syne


"Auld Lang Syme" is also in the same meter as "America the Beautiful". :twisted:


I'm on a 486 at the moment. Can someone post directions to Ala Wai Boat Harbor from Hyde Park, Massachusetts, please? I'd like to see how Mapquest resolves the pesky sea issue. I think the fact that it would take three hours to go from the port to Coconut Island is a testament to Jonah Grumby's nautical skills.


Mapquest just returns a message saying it can't figure out a route. Google Maps is a bit more interesting, since it includes "Kayak across the Pacific Ocean (2,756 miles).
I have a night job loading trucks for UPS. Someone joked about how the 5 day ground packages get to Hawaii. Now I can tell him.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
1337geek
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby 1337geek » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I have a night job loading trucks for UPS. Someone joked about how the 5 day ground packages get to Hawaii. Now I can tell him.

What, they don't use the interstates?
http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-h-002.html
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

User avatar
Kartoffelkopf
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

thebluefairy wrote:Another tune that works is the Australian national anthem.
Of course, it works the other way around too, so I always end up trying to sing the anthem to the tune of Gilligan's island :)

I present the East German national anthem and the song from which the current German national anthem is derived. Both can be sung pretty much to the tune of each other.
I would do this more often, but I don't know all the words to either (I can only really cite the first line or so...'Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit' and 'Auferstanden aus Ruinen und der Zunkunft zugewandt')

EDIT: anyone got a video of House of the Rising Sun to the tune of Amazing Grace? I saw some videos of the other way around, and the religious stuff was so in my face it made me sick.

mschmidt62
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby mschmidt62 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

I posted upthread about the "orchestrated version" of Copland's Dickinson songs. Just in case anyone is wondering, the grammy-nominated Marni Nixon recording I have of these (which I bought sometime in the early nineties) is still available: http://www.referencerecordings.com/Orchestras.asp#clark

I post this because I feared that people might go get the YouTube versions of these songs, and then they'd hate them.

Teletheus
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion

Postby Teletheus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

gruene wrote:
hordriss wrote:I quite enjoy taking hymns and singing them to the tune of 'The House Of The Rising Sun'.


Oh yes, that's all very well. Amazing Grace sounds deep and haunting when sung to that tune. But it's not half as much fun as singing House of the Rising Sun to the tune of Amazing Grace. Try it some time. It's hard to get through it without laughing.

You think that's funny? Try singing Amazing Grace to the theme from Gilligan's Island. Or the theme from Pokémon. Seriously, try it right now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

If you didn't laugh, you're dead. :)

User avatar
mochafairy
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 pm UTC
Location: Ohio

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby mochafairy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 am UTC

I am disappointed that no one has put up a video, or at least audio, of someone singing what is described in the comic. Shame on you!

(I'll give internet cookies to anyone who does it and/or provides me with a link :D )
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

User avatar
SW15243
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 am UTC
Location: The Frozen White North
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby SW15243 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:EDIT: anyone got a video of House of the Rising Sun to the tune of Amazing Grace? I saw some videos of the other way around, and the religious stuff was so in my face it made me sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDE4URgxVas
Bad quality, but it was the first one I found.

EDIT: Also, just because this makes me happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTCYLbFx ... re=related

dysprog
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby dysprog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:44 am UTC

dms33 wrote:
thebluefairy wrote:Another tune that works is the Australian national anthem.
Of course, it works the other way around too, so I always end up trying to sing the anthem to the tune of Gilligan's island :)



Yeah, but put as Adam Hills demonstrates, it's awesome when sung to the tune of working class man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weuD3z0YmYI


After hearing that I am almost tempted to move to Australia. The rock version fits Australia's badass stereotype much better

npkeith
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby npkeith » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

So - to start a list of ballad meter songs:
Amazing Grace
House of the Rising Sun
Yellow Rose of Texas
Gilligans Island Theme
Stairway to Heaven <- my own addition. Any others that I missed?

User avatar
radtea
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby radtea » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

I was playing around with this idea on my poetry blog and my friend Max came up with the most amazing mashup of "Amazing Grace" and "Gilligan's Island", with a suitably Black-Hat Guy suggestion as to how to deploy it. Check it out in the comments:

http://www.tjradcliffe.com/?p=18

:D
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

Bainmarny
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 am UTC

Re: "The Carriage" discussion (#788)

Postby Bainmarny » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:23 am UTC

I always end up singing Amazing Grace to Gilliagan's Island myself.

ender516
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

Re: 0788: "The Carriage"

Postby ender516 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

npkeith wrote:So - to start a list of ballad meter songs:
Amazing Grace
House of the Rising Sun
Yellow Rose of Texas
Gilligans Island Theme
Stairway to Heaven <- my own addition. Any others that I missed?

I realize this post is a bit late, but when another tune in common meter got stuck in my head, I decided to join the merry band here at xkcd and share it:

The Battle Hymn of the Republic! (the verse, more so than the chorus)

PaulWagener
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Re: 0788: "The Carriage"

Postby PaulWagener » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to post this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZqR_M20Y48 (could a moderator linkify this?)
Obviously inspired by this very comic.
I'm amazed at how interchangable most of these lyrics are...

Ten Little Bullets
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 am UTC

Re: 0788: "The Carriage"

Postby Ten Little Bullets » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 am UTC

Sorry for further thread necromancy, but I have dubbed this the Ballad Meter Convergence Problem, and it's been known to produce some pretty grotesque mashups when I'm trying to remember an errant line of poetry. Like, say, a duel to the death between Casey at the Bat and the Ballad of Reading Gaol:

He did not wear his scarlet coat, for blood and wine are red
And blood and wine were on his hands when they found him with the dead
The poor dead woman whom he loved, and murdered in her bed--
"That ain't my style," said Casey. "Strike one," the umpire said.

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville Nine that day
The score stood four to two, with but one inning left to play
They watch him while he tries to weep, and while he tries to pray
They watch him, lest himself should rob the prison of its prey.

Yet each man kills the thing he loves; by each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word,
But when the dust had lifted, and the men saw what had occurred,
There was Jimmy safe at second and Flynn a-hugging third.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land, the sun is shining bright,
But every stone one lifts by day becomes one's heart by night
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Reading--mighty Oscar's been struck out.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], hetas and 98 guests