0794: "Inside Joke"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mike_Bson

0794: "Inside Joke"

Postby Mike_Bson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Alt- ''I've looked through a few annotated versions of classic books, and it's shocking how much of what's in there is basically pop-culture references totally lost on us now.''

Never thought about this.Wonder what said people found funny in this way.
Last edited by Mike_Bson on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

The Scyphozoa

Re: ''Inside Joke'' Discussion #974

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Needs link, alt-text, and commentary. EDIT: (okay you're getting there)

Anyway, "there's a monk out back with a ladder" is totally going to become a new inside joke in my circle of friends.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:11 am UTC

am i the only one that sees a problem with a possible muslim buying a ham from a possible jew? My observations are based entirely on a TV-educated stereotype of what muslims and jews look like btw.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

montagfaber

Postby montagfaber » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Wow! Terrible! I hope a bunch of high school robotics kids like this kind of joke!

The "joke" is just... everyone has inside jokes with their respective social circles, even back then.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:13 am UTC

It's almost like people of the past were REAL PEOPLE who lived life like we do, with the daily mundane outweighing the historicity of the time they were living.

We are all Rosencrantz and Bink.
---------
BlueNight

Sean Quixote

Re: ''Inside Joke'' Discussion (#794)

Postby Sean Quixote » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Half of Shakespeare was in-jokes, double entendres, plays within plays with plays on words, and/or self-references. Oh, and sex jokes. "That's a fair thought to lie between a maid's legs!" "Do you think I meant country matters?" Both from Hamlet.

I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past. In "Wealth of Nations", people were complaining that education was declining rapidly due to poor standards. I'm sure many playwrights would complain about how the Theatre Industry was churning out mass-produced rubbish that existed only to inflate the egos of the stars involved, or people would complain that the Orchestra Industry had a lack of talent and that all modern songs sounded bland and identical.

Hell, even my Great-Grandfather claimed that Brown v Board of Education was going to be the downfall of American Education.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:29 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past. In "Wealth of Nations", people were complaining that education was declining rapidly due to poor standards. I'm sure many playwrights would complain about how the Theatre Industry was churning out mass-produced rubbish that existed only to inflate the egos of the stars involved, or people would complain that the Orchestra Industry had a lack of talent and that all modern songs sounded bland and identical.

I was just talking about this the other day, after looking at old music videos on YouTube and the comments that "back then they made REAL music, not the Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus crap they're churning out nowadays." I realized that most of the popular stuff from our era will fall through the cracks, just like the dregs of the "good old days," but I did find myself wondering what "REAL music" is being produced nowadays that will be regarded as classics, and why I clearly haven't heard any of it.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Les miserables, part 1, book 3, chapter 1, In the year 1817.

My unabridged copy contains 87 annotations for that chapter alone. The whole book is just one giant 19th century French pop culture reference after another.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

AlsoPenCover

Postby AlsoPenCover » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Are you kidding me? Is this news to randall?

The alt text especially.

atomfullerene

Postby atomfullerene » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past. In "Wealth of Nations", people were complaining that education was declining rapidly due to poor standards. I'm sure many playwrights would complain about how the Theatre Industry was churning out mass-produced rubbish that existed only to inflate the egos of the stars involved, or people would complain that the Orchestra Industry had a lack of talent and that all modern songs sounded bland and identical.

Oh, it's much, much older than that. There are complaints about the decline of culture going all the way back to cuneiform tablets.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:35 am UTC

I wonder just how much of various religious works consists solely of inside jokes
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

baf

Postby baf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:35 am UTC

This makes me think of Dante in particular. Half the people in Hell seem to be either local politicians or characters in novels Dante liked.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:37 am UTC

... and the parrot started shrieking, "AWWWWK! Pieces of nine! Pieces of nine!"

"Shouldn't that be Pieces of Eight?"

"Just a one-bit parroty error..."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Even the story about Sodom and Gomorrah was about what happens when Holy Nomads give up their life of wandering to settle down and build something permanent in those Evil cities.

Cracked did an article about how Dante's Inferno was a giant retort to all the people who had kicked Dante out of whatever city he was in previously.

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past. In "Wealth of Nations", people were complaining that education was declining rapidly due to poor standards. I'm sure many playwrights would complain about how the Theatre Industry was churning out mass-produced rubbish that existed only to inflate the egos of the stars involved, or people would complain that the Orchestra Industry had a lack of talent and that all modern songs sounded bland and identical.

I was just talking about this the other day, after looking at old music videos on YouTube and the comments that "back then they made REAL music, not the Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus crap they're churning out nowadays." I realized that most of the popular stuff from our era will fall through the cracks, just like the dregs of the "good old days," but I did find myself wondering what "REAL music" is being produced nowadays that will be regarded as classics, and why I clearly haven't heard any of it.
Allow me to make some suggestions.

"My Old Ways" by Dr. Dog - Like Steely Dan, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Abe Vigoda, not one person.
"Snookered" by Dan Deacon
"Also Frightened" by Animal Collective - Yes, that album cover is a still image.
"Just Got to Be" by the Black Keys
"In the Sun" by She & Him
"Wake Up" by (the) Arcade Fire - I'm not really sure whether you use a definite article with this band's name or not.
"Skullcrusher Mountain" by Jonathan Coulton
"Cannibal Resource" by the Dirty Projectors
"Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens - From his album about Illinois, part of a project to make an album about each state.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:17 am UTC

I liked "In the Sun", the others, alright but not my favorites.

You should add Massive Attack and RJD2 to your list.

You've probably heard the ones I linked to, being the theme-songs of House and Mad Men respectively. For RJD2, "Smoke and Mirrors" and my all time favorite, "Ghostwriter". For Mass~, also look for "Dissolved Girl", "Live with Me", and "Angel". The music video for Live with Me is rather, well, let's just say it reminds me of something Darren Aronofsky would do.

Also, Bloodsport by Sneaker Pimps.

Oh! Forgot Gained the World by Morcheeba.

grafpa

Postby grafpa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:34 am UTC

Aradae wrote:Les miserables, part 1, book 3, chapter 1, In the year 1817.

My unabridged copy contains 87 annotations for that chapter alone. The whole book is just one giant 19th century French pop culture reference after another.

I logged on specifically to make this reference. +1 internets for you.
"If you feel you are beginning to succeed, try raising your standards"

War_Hero

Postby War_Hero » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:35 am UTC

I like your taste in music.

Anyways I really liked this comic, it reminded me of reading the annotated alice in wonderland.

I don't see what's wrong with asking for 9 pieces of silver. Even though there were pieces of eight, it would just be like someone charging $1.12 for something.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:40 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." --Socrates (via Plato), 4th century B.C.

And lets not forget:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint." -- Hesiod, 7th century B.C.

Kids these days, y'know? I mean... those days. No wonder the world is so messed up, if kids like those ended up in charge.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

punto

Postby punto » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:52 am UTC

did Randall just discover Shakespeare? that's so cute

Gamer_2k4

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:59 am UTC

You know, Randy, if you don't have something funny to say (and how could you not? It's literally ALL YOU DO), it's perfectly acceptable to not post a comic. There's no reason to think people didn't have inside jokes back in the day? Okay, who said otherwise? Was someone trying to convince you that humor only began recently? "It's okay that you're not funny, Randall...humor is a pretty new invention, after all." Was it something like that?

You're a horrible excuse for a "cartoonist."

Argos

Postby Argos » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:22 am UTC

I think we found a new way why this comic is "unsuitable for liberal-arts majors".

So give it a break, all you literature post-grads.

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Kids these days, y'know? I mean... those days. No wonder the world is so messed up, if kids like those ended up in charge.

It's the same thing, happening over and over, and it's been going on for centuries!

Maybe all the 'in our day, kids were taught to behave better' is just a bluff to guilt your kids into behaving better... or else we've forgotten how wild we actually were, and so we complain about the next generation.

I guess we all want our kids to be better than we were, so maybe if we tell them we were raised better, they'll turn out at least as good as we did.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

felix

Postby felix » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:38 am UTC

The cool thing to remember is that when you think of people in "history", think "kids". Consider the median age way back in the olden days. We're talking numbers like 17 rather than the late twenties or early thirties of today's 1st Worldia.

Put another way, they were all a bunch of teenagers. So the teen-joke factor would have been real high. Or bleary, 'cause they were also a bunch of lushes.

facefive

Postby facefive » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:06 am UTC

haha that was awesome...

so if i got this right...

A muslim buying ham from a jew is too much? nah...too much is that there's a monk with a ladder in the back...not one of them monk prayer meditation ladders but an actual ladder trying to use it to get to heaven hahahahahaha

Randall get out of my spleen!

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I liked "In the Sun", the others, alright but not my favorites.

You should add Massive Attack and RJD2 to your list.

You've probably heard the ones I linked to, being the theme-songs of House and Mad Men respectively. For RJD2, "Smoke and Mirrors" and my all time favorite, "Ghostwriter". For Mass~, also look for "Dissolved Girl", "Live with Me", and "Angel". The music video for Live with Me is rather, well, let's just say it reminds me of something Darren Aronofsky would do.

Also, Bloodsport by Sneaker Pimps.

Oh! Forgot Gained the World by Morcheeba.
Those are all really cool! I think it's a shame that so many people are unaware of this music and just go on thinking that mankind has lost the ability to produce any music other than mass produced pop songs for preteen girls.

Edit: Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Jonas Brothers? I haven't heard of them since Justin Bieber cornered the market on mass produced pop songs for preteen girls.

Also, I will add to my list

"I'm Not Gonna Cry" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - No, this was not recorded in 1967.

tenseiga

Postby tenseiga » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:24 am UTC

oh k. Can someone explain this one to me? I dont understand the 9 silvers or the monk ladder reference.

Zak McKracken

Postby Zak McKracken » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Kids these days, y'know? I mean... those days. No wonder the world is so messed up, if kids like those ended up in charge.

It's the same thing, happening over and over, and it's been going on for centuries!

Maybe all the 'in our day, kids were taught to behave better' is just a bluff to guilt your kids into behaving better...

I think it's all down to selective memory. When you were a little kid, summers were warmer and winters had more snow but weren't so cold. You went bathing every day in summer and ice-skating or sledding every day in winter. (That's supposing you grew up in a temperate zone ... not sure how people closer to the equator remember the weather during their childhood). When I actually heard about what types of practical jokes my parents (and theirs too!) were playing during their childhood, I felt sooo well-behaved!
During childhood, you also just don't get all any pop-culture references adults make, so to you they don't exist. Historical persons are icons anyway. So unless you study it, I think it's actually normal to imagine people in "historical" times to be constantly serious, toiling under whatever the problem of their time was. Even though it is clear that can't be how it actually was.

Fun game: What type of thing are the guys in the comic referencing? What must that be in order to make the situation actually funny?

Zak
Can one hack writer, two Yale coeds and a stale loaf of french bread save the world from a galactic conspiracy?

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 am UTC

tenseiga wrote:oh k. Can someone explain this one to me? I dont understand the 9 silvers or the monk ladder reference.
The point is that they're inside jokes, completely meaningless to anybody but the characters in the comic and their contemporaries.

A message to the people of the future: Ni! 42! Inconceivable!

Perlandria

Postby Perlandria » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:45 am UTC

Is that a topknot, making the Buddha of the kneeling character potentially taking the ham out to sell (assuming that is why they are fussing with a box)?

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 am UTC

I liked it. I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was particularly effective.

My wife and I get funny looks from our kids already about some of the inside jokes that were in when we were only a little younger. There's a difference though between an inside joke and a cultural reference. "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy", isn't an inside joke. When I whisper to my spouse "wobble", and she starts giggling, that's an inside joke. Which I'm NOT going to explain as my son reads this forum and is probably already hideously embarrassed. :mrgreen:
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

jacog

Postby jacog » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 am UTC

But... Who shot J.R. ?

ledahulevogyre

Postby ledahulevogyre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 am UTC

I don't see what is so "shocking" about this.
Isn't it obvious ?

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 am UTC

myrcutio wrote:am i the only one that sees a problem with a possible muslim buying a ham from a possible jew? My observations are based entirely on a TV-educated stereotype of what muslims and jews look like btw.

Me too, initially. Then I decided that that was part of the inside joke.

The best inside jokes are the ones that are still funny after a ten-year separation. Pant-wettingly, gasping-for-breath funny.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:21 am UTC

Inside joke: "I'm so sorry for you ♪ (^O^) ♥ !"

Inside joke in my family. My mother was talking about how she didn't like how after she got her coffee all set up all right with cream and sugar, and took a sip, waitresses inevitably came along and added more coffee to the 90% full cup, and messed it up. The waitress, overhearing my mom, responds with the above line, in the most incredibly false-sincerity, singsongy voice ever, with a rising pitch. Everyone cracked up at the poor waitress, and it went down in history as one of our inside jokes.

jacog wrote:But... Who shot J.R. ?

An evil time traveling batman from the future?
Last edited by Karilyn on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:25 am UTC

My guess is this whole comic is itself an inside joke between Randall and his mates. That's why nobody else gets it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:34 am UTC

I saw this too while I read through an annotated version of Alice in Wonderland. As Carroll never intended to mass-produce his work, there's a very large amount of jokes between him and his friends.
Hi.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:46 am UTC

Now, imagine the memes of today being intergrated into the language of tomorrow.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I can just imagine all the complaints about the downfall of society that have been said in ages past.

I was just talking about this the other day, after looking at old music videos on YouTube and the comments that "back then they made REAL music, not the Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus crap they're churning out nowadays."

Drat, someone else already posted Socrates & Hesiod.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”