0797: "Debian-Main"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Killamus
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:26 am UTC

0797: "Debian-Main"

Postby Killamus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Image
Alt text = "dpkg: error processing package (--purge): subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit 163: OH_GOD_THEYRE_INSIDE_MY_CLOTHES"

Alt text got it for me. Sadly, I can see this happening, I hope they purge all of the Amnityville Horror dependencies out of Debian before I switch over...
Last edited by Killamus on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:07 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Debian-Main

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Thread title is wrong.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: Debian-Man

Postby glasnt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:03 am UTC

There are bugs in his checked in code, isn't there...


Hi joee.

Killamus
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:26 am UTC

Re: Debian-Main

Postby Killamus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Thread title is wrong.

... No it isn't.
*Sweeps old title under the carpet*

User avatar
jspenguin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby jspenguin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: Debian-Main

Postby glasnt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Killamus wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Thread title is wrong.

... No it isn't.
*Sweeps old title under the carpet*

It is still wrong.

imgs.xkcd.com/comics/debian_main.png

User avatar
Stanistani
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby Stanistani » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:09 am UTC

build: clean all install

goodbye glasnt

Aradae
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Aradae » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:13 am UTC

I saw all the bugs hoping it would be about the recent stinkbug swarm.

Slightly disappointed.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Softfoot
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:11 am UTC
Location: Regional South Australia

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Softfoot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Considering that where I live, the actual locusts are about to hatch, swarm and eat everything in sight...

GOOMHR

User avatar
RockoTDF
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:08 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, US
Contact:

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Good ol' proper nerdy xkcd. This is one for the cubicles and the doors of comp sci professors. Made me giggle a bit.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

j16sdiz
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:30 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby j16sdiz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Is `locusts' DSFG-nonfree?
Does `locusts' contain any GFDL documents or RFCs?

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby glasnt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Stanistani wrote:build: clean all install

goodbye glasnt



Undo SVN checkin. Boo and Hiss and developer who broke the build.


I'll miss you Stanistani :(

Murphy2112
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Murphy2112 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Good ol' xkcd. Every now and then, I have to be reminded that I don't know anything about... computers, or something.

User avatar
Catbertthegreat
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Catbertthegreat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Sorry to kill the humor, I'm curious what his software does that requires locusts. Will his computer's coolant also turn to blood?

hatten
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby hatten » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Catbertthegreat wrote:Sorry to kill the humor, I'm curious what his software does that requires locusts. Will his computer's coolant also turn to blood?

Obviously he did it for the lulz, no real reason for them other than to be an asshole.

Shishire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:33 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Shishire » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:49 am UTC

Catbertthegreat wrote:Sorry to kill the humor, I'm curious what his software does that requires locusts. Will his computer's coolant also turn to blood?

No, but it will kill the first-born child process of every thread running on the system.
Edit: <bad-pun>And it might /part all your IR-"C" channels</bad-pun>

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby sje46 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 am UTC

He almost never makes linux strips anymore, and when he finally does, after I spent a year learning Linux, it's something I either don't get or don't find funny.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
eviloatmeal
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am UTC
Location: Upside down in space!
Contact:

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:31 am UTC

So THAT'S how Ubuntu came to be!
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Image
Riddles are abound tonightImage

NotAllThere
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:44 am UTC

It reminds me of the tale of the vaxorcist.

VMS, now there was an OS for technophobes.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Kanonfutter
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby Kanonfutter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:16 am UTC

Jokes like this is the reason why I check XKCD every monday, wednesday and friday. Other jokes here have been a lot more intelligent, but this one is pure nerdy fun



And this was a great way to continue. I got serious burns straight in front of my high school students. They where working in discussion groups, so I had a few moments to spare.

the_one(2)
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby the_one(2) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 am UTC

There is no way that something that obvious would make it into Debian main. It's a bit unrealistic to be funny imho.

User avatar
Mez
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:48 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Mez » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:13 am UTC

I'm fairly sure that locusts would have stopped FTPMaster approving it from NEW
Regards,
Mez

User avatar
cheezehog
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 pm UTC
Location: All times are UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby cheezehog » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:09 am UTC

Anyone wanna lay out the joke for us fans of romance, sarcasm,and language ?

Or is it not really worth it perhaps
Green armor, good camouflage, shiny green armor, not so much

User avatar
krogoth
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby krogoth » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:26 am UTC

For some reason I thought, "Don't just download the dependancys without looking at them" before "bug in the code". Maybe I'm one of few people who reads (to much)into the programs they are installing...
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 am UTC

cheezehog wrote:Anyone wanna lay out the joke for us fans of romance, sarcasm,and language ?
Spoilered for joke-dissection:
Spoiler:
Debian, along with many other Linux systems, is able to automatically install software that you need in order to run the programs you want. So you just tell it "install Firefox" and it goes and automatically installs Firefox and all of the different things that Firefox needs in order to run (like graphics libraries and whatnot).

The comic proposes that a package was added to Debian that has a dependency on "locusts"... which somehow means not just a software package, but actual, physical locusts. And Debian is able to still automatically satisfy that dependency, by making the computer release locusts into the protagonist's home.

The title text is similar in style to an actual error message from Debian's package manager, saying it was unable to remove a package (with the error code replaced by the "Oh God, they're inside my clothes" bit), which was presumably shown when the user tried to undo the operation that released the locusts in the first place.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

cvi
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby cvi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:39 am UTC



I'm a Gentoo user - can you provide an .ebuild for this?

:twisted:

Soultaker~
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Man" Discussion

Postby Soultaker~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:57 am UTC

cvi wrote:I'm a Gentoo user - can you provide an .ebuild for this?

sci-biology/locusts-9999.ebuild:

Code: Select all

# Copyright 1999-2010 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=2

DESCRIPTION="A swarm of locusts"
HOMEPAGE="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust"

LICENSE="public-domain"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"
IUSE=""

But this is probably the wrong way to go about it. If the package really depends on locusts being installed, then providing a dummy package isn't going to help.

Personally I've just hard masked all swarms of things. Not sure what package Randall proposed but if it ships with a ton of bugs I'm not interested.

keppla
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby keppla » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am UTC

As a matter of fact, there IS a program called locust, but i never got it packaged for debian. Now i guess, it will be rejected, there's no chance that this comic wont end up on the walls of the debian mainatainers. Gotta search another name :(

soimless
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby soimless » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am UTC

And here I thought locusts depended on libcurses in experimental repository.

pegasos989
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby pegasos989 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 am UTC

soimless wrote:And here I thought locusts depended on libcurses in experimental repository.


Experimental? Uhh... It has been used for thousands of years. It is hard to get any more stable and robust than that.

User avatar
AJR
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:53 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby AJR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:46 am UTC

This comic is completely unrealistic - the package couldn't have got into main if it depends on locusts, because locusts are non-free (the source code isn't available under a DFSG-free licence.) If he'd said the package was in contrib, that would have been fine, but claiming that he got it into main broke my willing suspension of disbelief.

dtech
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby dtech » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

pegasos989 wrote:
soimless wrote:And here I thought locusts depended on libcurses in experimental repository.


Experimental? Uhh... It has been used for thousands of years. It is hard to get any more stable and robust than that.


Stable? Everyone knows that libcurses obviously belong in the volatile repository...

User avatar
littlelj
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby littlelj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Spoilered for joke-dissection:
Spoiler:
Debian, along with many other Linux systems, is able to automatically install software that you need in order to run the programs you want. So you just tell it "install Firefox" and it goes and automatically installs Firefox and all of the different things that Firefox needs in order to run (like graphics libraries and whatnot).

The comic proposes that a package was added to Debian that has a dependency on "locusts"... which somehow means not just a software package, but actual, physical locusts. And Debian is able to still automatically satisfy that dependency, by making the computer release locusts into the protagonist's home.

The title text is similar in style to an actual error message from Debian's package manager, saying it was unable to remove a package (with the error code replaced by the "Oh God, they're inside my clothes" bit), which was presumably shown when the user tried to undo the operation that released the locusts in the first place.

I knew I didn't get it, but thanks for the very clear explanation that allows me to chuckle.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

User avatar
Cathy
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC
Location: TX, USA

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Shishire wrote:No, but it will kill the first-born child process of every thread running on the system.
Edit: <bad-pun>And it might /part all your IR-"C" channels</bad-pun>

^This really made this strip for me. ^_^

Also, I too appreciate the joke dissection. >.>
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby neoliminal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Fourth Seal Dev of the Apocalypse?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

CodexDraco
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby CodexDraco » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

The DFSG does not cover the output of programs. The locust program itself is free, it exploits a little known bug on intel processors that can produce locust, that's why it can be on Debian-main.

cburke
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby cburke » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

I wonder if this is how NYC's bedbug problem got started.

User avatar
Iridos
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 am UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Iridos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

echo -e 'killall -9 locusts\nexit(0)' > $PACKAGE.prerm; dpkg --purge $PACKAGE; reportbug $PACKAGE

The fix was adopted by lots of people unable to uninstall the package because it looked innocuous enough; It had the consequence that locusts became extinct, rendering the package uninstallable due to missin dependencies.
Last edited by Iridos on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

correnos
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby correnos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

That's nothing. One AUR package I just installed depended on "libhippo". Man, was that ever hard to purge!

(AUR: reference to Arch Linux user repository)
If you're seeking the bottleneck, look at the top of the bottle.

Maximus_Light
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Re: "Debian-Main" Discussion

Postby Maximus_Light » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
cheezehog wrote:Anyone wanna lay out the joke for us fans of romance, sarcasm,and language ?
Spoilered for joke-dissection:
Spoiler:
Debian, along with many other Linux systems, is able to automatically install software that you need in order to run the programs you want. So you just tell it "install Firefox" and it goes and automatically installs Firefox and all of the different things that Firefox needs in order to run (like graphics libraries and whatnot).

The comic proposes that a package was added to Debian that has a dependency on "locusts"... which somehow means not just a software package, but actual, physical locusts. And Debian is able to still automatically satisfy that dependency, by making the computer release locusts into the protagonist's home.

The title text is similar in style to an actual error message from Debian's package manager, saying it was unable to remove a package (with the error code replaced by the "Oh God, they're inside my clothes" bit), which was presumably shown when the user tried to undo the operation that released the locusts in the first place.


After I read that I laughed! *paper bag over head and continues to snicker occasionally*


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PinkShinyRose, rmsgrey and 104 guests