0277: "Long Light"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Artemis Leon

0277: "Long Light"

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:06 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c277.html

Alternate Text: You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think 'some engineer was frustrated while designing this.' It's a little human connection.

I'll admit it: I'm frequently guilty of such conceits as the comic's driver when sitting at a long light watching no traffic pass the other way. I've yet to be confronted by the engineer in question, but I'll start carrying my pistol just in case.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.
-Socrates

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Man, I wonder if engineers of streetlights even drive, for fear of being faced with their own flaws... That would suck. Talk about high pressure job.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Castaway wrote:Man, I wonder if engineers of streetlights even drive, for fear of being faced with their own flaws... That would suck. Talk about high pressure job.

I can only assume they only design streetlight plans for locations other than those at which they reside. Otherwise, the temptation to make their own commonly traveled routes more convenient at the expense of others would be too great.

-Socrates

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:14 am UTC

The Comic wrote:When will the light change? Tuesday.

Suddenly I understand the compulsion to make "questionable" traffic movements to avoid red lights.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:16 am UTC

Mostly the questionable maneuver came about because the street leading out of our apartment came to an intersection where it *was* actually a lot faster to turn right on red and make a U-turn than to wait for the lights to occur in such a way that you could turn left. You could do this, and look at people you passed who were waiting to turn left, and laugh. A lot.

The more you know.
Last edited by Belial on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

bippy

Postby bippy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I move to differentiate streetlights from stoplights.

Also, this comic is great and I suspect that I will be the first to agree but insist that there's this one light in my neighborhood...

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 am UTC

As a structural and architectural engineer, I have to say.... that is so f***ing true. Countless times I have to say "You're right, I came to this conclusion and this design by taking my left hand, and carefully pulling numbers right out of my ass. Forget the hours spent in calculation, and the years spent in school.... you know better than I do."

After fiteen months of pitching flat-plate slab construction to my boss, he's FINALLY caved, and then got a little mad at me for not suggesting it earlier.

DeadCatX2

Re: "Long Light" Discussion Thread

Postby DeadCatX2 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Artemis Leon wrote:Alternate Text: You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think 'some engineer was frustrated while designing this.' It's a little human connection.

So true. Being a computer engineer, I see the circuits that we use to run our daily lives everywhere. The computer chip in your microwave...your washing machine...your wrist watch...

I don't sympathize with those engineers. I empathize with them.

It really is amazing the amount of thought that needs to go into what would otherwise be considered something so simple as a wrist watch. The type of oscillator you need, the type of LCD you'll use, the backlighting, the power-down modes of the microprocessor you're using, how many pins it has for inputs and outputs...

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Belial wrote:Mostly the questionable maneuver came about because the street leading out of our apartment came to an intersection where it *was* actually a lot faster to turn right on red and make a U-turn than to wait for the lights to occur in such a way that you could turn left. You could do this, and look at people you passed who were waiting to turn left, and laugh. A lot.

The more you know.

Interesting situation. There was a similar situation at my old middle school, and our buses frequently used illegal maneuvers to circumvent the light. Even though a school was at that corner, the light didn't get any shorter at certain times of day.

Of course, I live in Indiana, so driving maneuvers involving U-turns aren't "questionable"--they're always illegal.

-Socrates

Vortigen

Postby Vortigen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:23 am UTC

I think I'm going to hide in a bush near the intersection until someone says something of the sort, then repeat this to them.
Hitlist:
1. Corbin Bleu
2. Imageshack
3. Asparagus.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:23 am UTC

I've had a few instances of wanting to "talk" with the engineer of certain products (*cough*clamshell packaging*cough*). You know what's longer than [s]streetlights[/s] stoplights? Lights at railroad crossings. And you can't make questionably legal maneuvers around those.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:25 am UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:Lights at railroad crossings. And you can't make questionably legal maneuvers around those.

Sure you can. As long as you're driving the Mach 5/K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider/a helicopter.

-Socrates

JoshJ

Postby JoshJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:33 am UTC

I've come across railroad crossing gates that were stuck down due to a stupid glitch. Entire lines of cars were making 'questionably legal' manuevers around the gates, alternating sides.

Crazy stuff. And yes, I went through, the track was closed for repairs, which is probably why the gates were stuck down.

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:35 am UTC

My mom rants about lights all the time, and it drives me crazy for this reason.

But she does have a point, which is that light cycles around freeway on and off ramps always change in such a way that one is green and the next is red, making it hard to move forward. Can anyone out there explain why this is?

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:39 am UTC

Artemis Leon wrote:Alternate Text: You can look at practically any part of anything manmade around you and think 'some engineer was frustrated while designing this.' It's a little human connection.

Taking this further, you can look at anything drafted in UGS NX and think "some engineer was frustrated while designing this" :)

chan the evoker

Postby chan the evoker » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:44 am UTC

blarg(!) wrote:But she does have a point, which is that light cycles around freeway on and off ramps always change in such a way that one is green and the next is red, making it hard to move forward. Can anyone out there explain why this is?

Because the engineers want you to get stuck there.

Vortigen

Postby Vortigen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:44 am UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:And you can't make questionably legal maneuvers around those.

Yup. The driver's manual specifically states that trains have the right of way over all other vehicles.

No kidding. It actually says that.
Hitlist:

1. Corbin Bleu

2. Imageshack

3. Asparagus.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:45 am UTC

I laughed
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

ludwig_van

Postby ludwig_van » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Is it just me, or does the car in this comic look half-totaled? Especially towards the end, in the final panels. Not that it means anything, I just looked at end of the comic and it seemed funny. 'cause really, I mean, he could draw any car, and he chose to draw it totaled.

Actually, forget I said that.

blarg(!)

Postby blarg(!) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:49 am UTC

chan the evoker wrote:
blarg(!) wrote:But she does have a point, which is that light cycles around freeway on and off ramps always change in such a way that one is green and the next is red, making it hard to move forward. Can anyone out there explain why this is?

Because the engineers want you to get stuck there.

Since they don't get paid enough and all. But also maybe it is because they have to be sure traffic is not backing up onto the freeway, so they have to give the offramps priority.

Cortelyou

Postby Cortelyou » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:50 am UTC

ludwig_van wrote:Is it just me, or does the car in this comic look half-totaled? Especially towards the end, in the final panels. Not that it means anything, I just looked at end of the comic and it seemed funny. 'cause really, I mean, he could draw any car, and he chose to draw it totaled.

It might have something to do with not reusing the same drawing for similar scenes.

Edited to connect to ludwig_van's post

DJH47

Postby DJH47 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:53 am UTC

This is exactly why I do not like cars.

I wish there were more sidewalks where I am, though...
The above post is declared to be in the public domain unless specified otherwise.

-- Dallas

doomofdoom

Postby doomofdoom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:55 am UTC

My mother is a traffic engineer, and she is constantly complaining about poor traffic signs and highway designs.

Of course, it is her job to design these things for the city, so she has a right to complain about how she can do it better.

Ogre

Postby Ogre » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:57 am UTC

There's a sequence of lights in San Juan Capistrano, CA, between the mission and the freeway, about 20 miles from here, that has possibly the worst design ever. I can't believe anyone who would dare call themselves an engineer was involved in setting it up. It's OK on weekdays, mind you, and even weekends in the winter. But come tourist season(*), there's a traffic starvation issue you would not believe if you haven't witnessed it.

I was unfortunate enough to be on the wrong side of the one intersection sometime in March one weekend a couple of years ago. The timing of the light is such that if there are more cars waiting from all three directions than can get through, it is NEVER possible for cars coming from one of those directions (mine) to enter the intersection without blocking cars turning left from another direction. You can sit there (coming from the wrong direction) and watch some drivers who are unwilling to block the intersection, yet should have been watching the same pattern you were for 20 minutes, sit through 2 or 3 light changes without going before it finally clicks in their brain that they're going to have to block the intersection to get through any time before nightfall. When I went, I went as the second car on a light that would have allowed zero cars under normal circumstances. The thing is, you're out of the intersection 30 seconds later, and several cars from the "blocked" direction would go, but you're still blocking that intersection for 30 seconds, and even though you sat there watching this mess for 20 minutes, you still feel like the asshole blocking the intersection since you know the people you're blocking have only been waiting a minute or two and don't have a large enough sample to understand the problem. But it has to be done, and after watching the pattern for a few minutes, I started to have enormous respect for the people who saw it like I did and forced themselves to be the second car in the zero car pattern.

I'll never make the mistake of turning into that mess on a weekend in tourist season again. That was the most frustrating light I've ever sat through. If you know it's coming, you can go a block down, turn left, then left again, and get into the perpendicular side of that intersection where 4 or 5 cars get through every light change. Or just go straight a couple of miles and get on the freeway to get back.

(*) Tourist season for SJC, CA, is especially March 19th, which happens to be my birthday, but is the day when the swallows famously return to the mission. In reality, they hit this area and start nesting in February through April, and it's a popular tourist destination all summer. I'm pretty sure someone just chose my birthday to promote tourism. It wasn't my birthday that I was there and discovered this traffic anomaly, but it was right around there.

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 am UTC

ludwig_van wrote:Is it just me, or does the car in this comic look half-totaled? Especially towards the end, in the final panels. Not that it means anything, I just looked at end of the comic and it seemed funny. 'cause really, I mean, he could draw any car, and he chose to draw it totaled.

I think the car just appears damaged because the doors were drawn on lightly and hastily. I think they might have been forgotten until the comic was pretty much done.

-Socrates

Lethal Interjection

Postby Lethal Interjection » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Oh man, there is a terrible one on my way home from work. I finish at midnight, and I am on the most major street in my area. It runs through the downtown of my little hamlet. There are 4 lights that impede me on my way home. The other three are set up on sensors, and, other than the one being too sensitive (it changes as the person approaches, so often they will be turning right, and it will turn green for them, well after they are on their way down the road already), they are all fine.
But this 4th light has no sensor. It is simply timed, and the timing doesn't change for times of the day. I will concede that it is probably fine during the peak times, but even then, if they are peak times, wouldn't a sensored light be just as effective? There will be weeks when this light will be red for me every single night on my way home (most of the time on the way in too, but that is closer to a peak time, so it doesn't bother me). Most times when I am stopped at that light there is no other car in the area, and if one comes up while I am stopped, they are on the end of the red. I mean, this is a major street coming up on a minor street, and they seem to equally share the amount of time that it is green! I accidentally ran through the red a couple of weeks ago because it had changed yellow while I was changing the station or something, and I thought I had enough time, but didn't. It wasn't a brutal running of the red (I have seen worse at other lights when there were actual cars in the area) but it was red by the time I entered the intersection. I felt bad initially, despite the fact that, as usual, there were no cars in the area. However, once I got home, I felt greatly satisfied. Almost proud of myself. Almost a year of stopping for that light a majority of the time (I would definitely say I've stopped there more often than gone through right away) at 12am, when no cars are around, and I finally did what I'd threatened to do so many times.

ProcessingTyler

Postby ProcessingTyler » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 am UTC

This comic made me want to register lol.

Anyway, aren't most lights nowadays have a IR override system built into them? Emergency services, i.e. EMS, P.D., use it to change the lights to allow the quickest arrival to a destination.

I remember seeing plans on the internet to make a cheap DIY IR light that would take advantage of this system and allow you to exploit it for yourself.

Seems like a quick-fix for traffic light problems lol.

-tyler

luminosity

Postby luminosity » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:16 am UTC

ProcessingTyler wrote:
Seems like a quick-fix for traffic light problems lol.

-tyler

Until everyone starts doing it, and you realise not only haven't you made the situation any better for yourself, but you've just screwed over the ambulance driver rushing to save someone's life.

Ahem.

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:03 am UTC

This comic will be especially ironic on Tuesdays, since the engineer's answer would be equivalent to saying "in the future", or "sometime".
I was useful Yesterday.
-Paul McCartney.

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:43 am UTC

I read that when there's a road with lots of traffic lights then it's to stop you going above the speed they want you to go. If you go at exactly the speed they want you to go at then you will find that after going through the lights at green that the next lights will go green exactly as you approach. If you go faster then you're supposed to at these lights then you get stuck at red for long enough to bring your average speed back down to the approved speed.

I think that this would work better if it was better known and they actually printed what this average speed for the road is because it is completely unconnected to the speed limit.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

rglenn

Postby rglenn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:33 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:As a structural and architectural engineer, I have to say.... that is so f***ing true. Countless times I have to say "You're right, I came to this conclusion and this design by taking my left hand, and carefully pulling numbers right out of my ass. Forget the hours spent in calculation, and the years spent in school.... you know better than I do."

Ah, so you too are a fan of the DRE method (Direct Rectal Extraction).

While I sympathize / empathize with some product engineers out there, there are still the jerks who desiged my TV-DVD combo / the connector on my new Sony Ericsson phone / my LED christmas lights that flicker at 30 Hz / my iPod alarm clock with a bright blue LED backlight that CAN'T BE DIMMED. These people were clearly smoking something to be avoided by expectant mothers, operators of heavy machinery, and generally anyone not pursuing a career in politics.

We must find these people. We must stop them. We must make them pay for their own transgressions. Preferably with cash, but beer will suffice.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:46 am UTC

Sometimes lights are bad just because the usage profile has changed radically since they were put in place. In my hometown there's a main boulevard on which the lights are intentionally not synchronized, to force people to slow down. (You can make them all if there are no other cars in your way and you go exactly 37.5 mph. That... never happens.) The town has grown a lot in the decades since, though, and while it no longer makes sense to clog a major artery of the city, if you will, the lights are still that way.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 am UTC

My biggest gripe was the lights on my way to work. They're fine during the day, but once night hits, there is little traffic and it doesn't make sense waiting 1-2 minutes for a light to change while there is zero cross traffic. They finally got all the lights to work alright at night, but they'll flip back to their annoyingly long waits the next time a storm hits and the power goes out.

Lethal Interjection wrote:Almost a year of stopping for that light a majority of the time (I would definitely say I've stopped there more often than gone through right away) at 12am, when no cars are around, and I finally did what I'd threatened to do so many times.

There are a few lights where, if they catch me when I'm getting "lunch" at 2 or 3 am, I don't hesitate running.

Yeah, we have an over sensitive light, also. Same thing, a person on the cross street will make a right turn long before the light turns green for them, but the person on the main drag has to slam on their brakes due to the very quick light change.
Last edited by Uthor on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 am UTC

rglenn wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:As a structural and architectural engineer, I have to say.... that is so f***ing true. Countless times I have to say "You're right, I came to this conclusion and this design by taking my left hand, and carefully pulling numbers right out of my ass. Forget the hours spent in calculation, and the years spent in school.... you know better than I do."

Ah, so you too are a fan of the DRE method (Direct Rectal Extraction).

Well, as a bachelor civil engineer, allready working and getting my master degree, I have to say that it's usually not the designers fault. I've seen dozens of times where you're told to design the light for an intersection which, in the first place, should not be there at all (Think dirtroad crossing major artery). Secondly, the local planner then decide to build large suburbs on that dirtroad, without changing the lights. Thirldy, I've seen trafic lights being programmed based on twenty-year-old (I shit you not) data.

Note: I do construction enginering, but co-workers spew their dislike of local official freely.

Still in construction enginering it's not that dissimilar. I often see plans with unusual ammount of reinforcement in the concrete. When I asked about that, as i'm supposed to, the answer was that it was to much work to model every pillar and that they just took the 150% margin and threw in some extra rebar to make up for the lack of calculations. The explanation was

Structural engineer wrote:Those extra pieces of rebar cost a lot less then the time I ahve to spend modeling and checking the results

From that moment on, I feel a lot less safe inside.

EDIT: Oh i forget to mention the great idea of designing a "green wave" (meaning you can just keep driving down a street and every light will be green, so you only have to wait once) and then the city decides to reduce maximum speed on that street, so that now, you have this beatifull "red wave" where you have to wait the maximum time at every light. Took the city three years of major traffic jams to realise that they should have changed the lights, which could be done in one day by two guys and a laptop.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

sophomore

Postby sophomore » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:59 am UTC

blarg(!) wrote:My mom rants about lights all the time, and it drives me crazy for this reason.

But she does have a point, which is that light cycles around freeway on and off ramps always change in such a way that one is green and the next is red, making it hard to move forward. Can anyone out there explain why this is?

As far as I can figure, it's the most efficient way to move traffic. Of course, stopping at every red light seems contradictory to movement...

I noticed this while traveling down a busy road where the other side (the side "less traveled") always moved freely as I wanted to make my uncontrolled left turn in the morning to go to work. Not only was it exceptionally annoying, but I couldn't figure it out. Until I waited twenty minutes and watched the same signal pattern down the hill. (Now to end the completely useless story...)

Well, since traffic moves down the hill in the morning, all the red lights open up for the peeps going up the hill... but conveniently empty out the traffic directly in front of me for me to progress up one light. If those red lights had been swinging the other way in the city, about two lucky blokes would make it all the way down the hill without a hitch, and the rest of the morning, everyone else would be sitting at green lights waiting for the cars in front of them to move.

Of course, since I usually went to work at the tail end of rush hour (when everybody was headed for the on-ramp, and not in-city,) I just was one of two cars at every red light.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:44 am UTC

The timing on the lights around my area are quite bad. I could push the button for the light, and cross the road before it turns green (from a pedestrians point of view) safely over 70% of the time. Then i feel bad for making the people wait even though ive already crossed.
Or... i dont press the button then it seems to take forever, and when im tempted to press it later on, same thing happens. *sigh* damn traffic lights.

marnanel

Postby marnanel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:55 am UTC

One of the nice things about working in the Free Software community is that when you get frustrated with a design you can often find the designer and ask why zie designed it that way. I would rather like it if such an opportunity was available with such things as traffic light system design.

missingglassmarbles

Postby missingglassmarbles » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:09 am UTC

marnanel wrote:One of the nice things about working in the Free Software community is that when you get frustrated with a design you can often find the designer and ask why zie designed it that way. I would rather like it if such an opportunity was available with such things as traffic light system design.
I see you're a fan of the rare gender-neutral pronoun. I think it's a great idea, personally, but I don't see it as catching on because the very nature of it is forced upon a language, rather than developing.

Ah, traffic lights. Man, this world must suck, and I will soon be driving in it. Oi.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am UTC

OneLess wrote:

Taking this further, you can look at anything drafted in UGS NX and think "some engineer was frustrated while designing this" :)

I...yes. That's absolutely true. :(

(Better than AutoCAD, though)

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

I'll admit to getting frustrated when no matter how many times you hit the "walk" button, the light won't even start to change until a car pulls up, going the same direction as you.
I walk everywhere, so long lights just prompt jaywalking.
(And even EXTREME JAYWALKING. It's like a city-wide sport.)
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”