0819: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 1"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dylancommadash

Re: 0819: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 1"

Postby dylancommadash » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Can you please make a print for the Server room wolves? I want to post this on my server room door at work. It is already decorated with about 30 other XKCD strips, but none quite so fitting as this.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
Komodo wrote:I laughed hardest at the pony getting pushed down the well.

Yes, I'm probably going to hell.

That bus is gonna be crowded. I hope I get an aisle seat.

Better book a second bus.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

DarthMarth wrote:Is it bad that I like these more than regular xkcd?

Absolutely. You will go to hell for wishing that Randall's family illness is a protracted and complicated one.

And then when his family issues are set to rights (or at least as right as they'll ever be) you'll hate yourself even more for saying you liked these, because he'll pull an "XKCD unplugged", where he'll create new comics "in the spirit of" these five minute potshots.

Unplugged. Remember all those grunge bands? (The correct answer is "no".) Eric Clapton? Whitesnake for heaven's sake? It was even rumoured that Margaret Thatcher was going to run for president under the campaign banner "Maggie : -- unplugged...".

These are great sketches. Enjoy them for what they are, and don't encourage him.

That Jeff

Postby That Jeff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

My first thought with the Wagner/Bach comic was Eternal Sonata. I think that game was about Chopin, though.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

cream wobbly wrote:
DarthMarth wrote:Is it bad that I like these more than regular xkcd?

Absolutely. You will go to hell for wishing that Randall's family illness is a protracted and complicated one.

And then when his family issues are set to rights (or at least as right as they'll ever be) you'll hate yourself even more for saying you liked these, because he'll pull an "XKCD unplugged", where he'll create new comics "in the spirit of" these five minute potshots.

Unplugged. Remember all those grunge bands? (The correct answer is "no".) Eric Clapton? Whitesnake for heaven's sake? It was even rumoured that Margaret Thatcher was going to run for president under the campaign banner "Maggie : -- unplugged...".

These are great sketches. Enjoy them for what they are, and don't encourage him.

Screw that. Encourage anything that is an improvement. Sure, "unplugged" got flogged until there was nothing left but a half-dead 12-string acoustic, but some of it was good, and just as you shouldn't write off the bad because of the good, you shouldn't write off the good because of the bad. Instead, take everything that works, leave anything that doesn't.

Three cheers for today's panel of comics!

Rowadanr
Location: Living in my solar dome on a platform in... somerset.

Postby Rowadanr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

HeheheheHAHAHA! These are great fun.
Particularly love the "Why did I draw this?" under Wagner/Bach, I've had moments like that (my friends will remember the erudite fruitbat and the computer-literate starfish)
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.
- John Cage

J L

Postby J L » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

1055 wrote:
brutesquad wrote:Mozart wrote the Magic Flute, not Bach. Just sayin'

I assumed Mozart was the third guy in that comic. Although I guess he should be the one to activate the Magic Flute, but Bach had to get mentioned somehow for the "I'll be Bach" reference.

Gah, it really took me some time to get what you guys are talking about.

And he's pronounced / bax / ... not / bæk / ... srsly! :-)

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

I've got to echo the comments made already that any one out of this collection would be the bext xkcd comic (at least a feeling of a return to its former self) that I've seen in a long time. The Jupiter slingshot one cracks me up.

Granted it's an unfortunate circumstance by which we received these comics, but when he returns to the regular schedule I hope Randall makes note of this fact and does whatever it is he did here more often.
I don't know what to do for you

ajordan

Postby ajordan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Yeah, these are great, no need for the "Five-Minute Comics" disclaimer. Shoulda just cut them up and slapped Alt-Text on them!

I actually registered a forum account just to say that. Hope all is as well as it can be in XKCD land, best wishes to Randall and family.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

Poor Jupiter. He just wants to help out!
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

jjane

Postby jjane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Why he didn't spread these out (1 per day) and buy himself some time escapes me.

P.S. Hotness scale is fucking hilarious and made me lawl.

Itsuko

Postby Itsuko » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

For comics that were completely improvised, these are great :) . For comics in general, these are great :D !

AvianMinded

Postby AvianMinded » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

I enjoyed these. Every single one merely brought a smile to my face at worst and caused me to laugh aloud (literally) at best.

However I'm a Photography major so...

Just saying that it was nice to not have to Google "diode" to get the punchline.
"There is a BIG difference between finding the shotgun and finding the guy WITH the shotgun."

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

God damn you bastard, you're even funny when you've only got five minutes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

funniest strip(s) in a while. I don't know if it would have worked with them separate thought. Can't wait for more.

jjane wrote:Why he didn't spread these out (1 per day) and buy himself some time escapes me.

P.S. Hotness scale is fucking hilarious and made me lawl.

I think its because they play off each other even though they have nothing to do with the others. I agree he could have cleaned them up then released them on separate days but what ever.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

praybz

Postby praybz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

These are all way better than any of the "real" comics in the last few months. Maybe this indicates that Randall tries very hard to appeal to his fanbase, feed his relationship with his readers, etc., all leading to a lot of self-criticism and creative congestion. With a 5-minute limit, however, the spontaneity and charm returns.

Mick7153

Postby Mick7153 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

I agree with the hotness rating. I always felt like girls I see around are infinitely hotter than the ones on magazines.

The Bach, Wagner thing made me laugh out loud....and the rest of the library was not amused

thanks for the laughs randall
Blog: http://scienceofillogic.blogspot.com/2010/11/weight-loss-honest-truth.html
Topic 11/14/10:
Weight Loss: The Honest Truth

Halborr

Postby Halborr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

I agree with the hotness rating. I always felt like girls I see around are infinitely hotter than the ones on magazines.

I couldn't agree more.

I definitely laughed at all but the Boy Named Trig and Bach/Wagner ones, just because I didn't get the reference. I dearly hope Randall's problems come to a close soon (in a good way!), but this comic was definitely better than some of the ones of late. The pony and server room ones were my favorite.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

Halborr wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

hear, hear!
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

J L wrote:And he's pronounced / bax / ... not / bæk / ... srsly! :-)

Sure, but with Schwarzenegger's accent, in the movie it was pronounced /bak/, not /bæk/, so the jump to /bax/ isn't much of a stretch...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 am UTC

praybz wrote:These are all way better than any of the "real" comics in the last few months. Maybe this indicates that Randall tries very hard to appeal to his fanbase, feed his relationship with his readers, etc., all leading to a lot of self-criticism and creative congestion. With a 5-minute limit, however, the spontaneity and charm returns.

I think this is a fair point. It's my contention that early XKCD weren't necessarily better because the ideas were better, but because there was less of a filter between Randall's mind and the pen. Is he trying to "nerd up" some strips to appeal to the geek scientist fanbase (of which I consider myself a junior member)? Is he trying to be poignant because people have praised some of the comics that don't have a punchline? Today's were great because they were simple thoughts, and many with a kind of rapid-fire delivery to them that kept you just slightly off-guard. Trying to appease some segment of fans (if that's what he's been doing) tends to make you rely on what you know they've liked in the past, which makes you predictable. Remove the filter, Randall! Be spontaneous! Don't try to neatly wrap up the thought, just let

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:06 am UTC

Five minute comics… Forum Games, anyone?
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:56 am UTC

StNowhere wrote:Don't try to neatly wrap up the thought, just let

I see what you
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Richard.

Postby Richard. » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:59 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StNowhere wrote:Don't try to neatly wrap up the thought, just let

I see what you

did there
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 am UTC

Agree with most of the above, these are terrific little gems today. But a quick question for the Hotness Scale strip: is the girl in your bio class hot because she's wearing your shirt, or is the girl in your bio class wearing your shirt because she's hot?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Halrandir wrote:Agree with most of the above, these are terrific little gems today. But a quick question for the Hotness Scale strip: is the girl in your bio class hot because she's wearing your shirt, or is the girl in your bio class wearing your shirt because she's hot?

The fact that she is wearing your shirt is hot for what it implies. (How did she end up in your shirt, and what other articles of your clothing has she been in lately? Also, she is probably not offering breakfast while still in the bio class...)

Presumably, what it implies would have happened because she was hot enough anyway. But the fact that she's wearing your shirt now makes her just that much hotter.

Also, it occurs to me there may be a story in those strips:
Week 1: Guy sees girl in bio class. Mmmm.
Week 2: Guy has "breakfast" with girl from bio class (who is now wearing his shirt). Booyah!
Week 3: Guy finds girl from bio class wearing his mom's shirt (and thanking her for the good night). Wat!
Week 4: Guy finds girl from bio class wearing his mom's skin like a suit (and beckoning him to "give mommy a hug"). AAAAAAAA!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 am UTC

I loved the Jupiter one--just awesome goofiness! Ring cycle was pretty good too.

I don't wish xkcd were like this all the time... but I liked this a lot as something different.

dawolf wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:
bytbox wrote:Palin's kid is seriously named after a disorder he has? That's just... that's... wow.

*sigh*

No. While there are plenty of truthful and scary things you can say about that woman, that's not one of them. Even removing results for "Palin," I can't find a Google result that links "Tri-G" and "Down's Syndrome" that isn't talking about the kid in question.

On topic, I actually really liked the comic as well, in the same way I love hearing my favorite song from years ago pop on the radio now.

Trig isn't a british nickname for Down's Syndrome that I can remember. It's a reference to Trigger from Only Fools & Horses, who was pretty thick.

Having said which - your evidence is weak, whether google throws up something is not the holy grail of fact. If Palin had read about Down's Syndrome she'd have come across the reference to it being Trisonomy G, TriG.

I tried the search the other way around--Googled "Down's Syndrome," looked at several of the top results, clicked through (when applicable) to the pages with names like "About Down's Syndrome" and "What causes Down's Syndrome," and did a find-on-page for "TriG" and "Tri-G." Neither one came up. That doesn't prove that nobody ever refers to Down's as TriG, but it does show that it's quite possible to read about it without encountering that term.

Not to say that naming your sons Trig and Track isn't bad enough anyhow... :(
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 am UTC

cream wobbly wrote:Unplugged. Remember all those grunge bands? (The correct answer is "no".) Eric Clapton? Whitesnake for heaven's sake? It was even rumoured that Margaret Thatcher was going to run for president under the campaign banner "Maggie : -- unplugged...".

Hey, man*, 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged is one of my favorite albums ever.

* = Or girl, or being, or dessert topping. I'm not entirely sure what gender-specific slang pronoun to apply to "cream wobbly", or indeed, what a "cream wobbly" even is. No offense is intended by any inadvertent gender/flavor mismatch.
Last edited by DragonHawk on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:* = Or girl, or being, or dessert topping. I'm not entirely sure what gender-specific slang pronoun to apply to "cream wobbly", or indeed, what a "cream wobbly even is. No offense is intended by any inadvertent gender/flavor mismatch.

Hahaha! That was the best gender-uncertainty disclaimer ever.

Is there any good gender-neutral equivalent to "hey man"? I tend to say "dude" (as in "geez, dude" or "duuuuude") pretty freely to non-males because nothing else has the same ring to it...
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:Is there any good gender-neutral equivalent to "hey man"? I tend to say "dude" (as in "geez, dude" or "duuuuude") pretty freely to non-males because nothing else has the same ring to it...

You could say "hey bra" and then claim you were referring to their brassiere. though I think this would cause more problems than it could possibly ever solve.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

osmigos

Postby osmigos » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:23 am UTC

These made me laugh harder than I can remember laughing at an XKCD... then I read the mouse-over text. I need some aspirin.

Is there any good gender-neutral equivalent to "hey man"? I tend to say "dude" (as in "geez, dude" or "duuuuude") pretty freely to non-males because nothing else has the same ring to it...

What's up? Serves me well.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 am UTC

phlip wrote:

Sure, but with Schwarzenegger's accent, in the movie it was pronounced /bak/, not /bæk/, so the jump to /bax/ isn't much of a stretch...

I've always pronounced it Bark, with my patented non-rhotic R, and glottal [x] finish on the 'ch', as if I were pronouncing loch. I still have trouble trying not to bring up some phlegm when pronouncing [x].

So it's more /bɑx/ than /bax/ to me. But I elongate most of my 'a's anyway. Cahstle, Pahth, Plahstic...

These comics made me smile. The skin suit one made me grin. It reminded me of this.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

plumey

Postby plumey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 am UTC

The stick figure that's supposed to be Bach does kinda look more like Mozart to me.
It's the hair. Tell me that is not Mozart hair.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 am UTC

ellenmaclean wrote:I appreciate that Mr. Munroe is continue to amuse us all while going through personal struggles. OBVIOUSLY strips done in five minutes will not have the same level of thought and detail, so I hope people will be classy enough to lay off the criticism.

Why? Randall chose to publish them, he wasn't forced to do so; it's subject to criticism as much as anything else he posts.

I also think that, for "5 minute comics", they're bizarrely up to par. So, how much time does he spend on his actual comics? 10 minutes each? Worse: how much time does he spend actually coming up with the jokes and developing them? The ONLY difference between the comics posted today and the previous ones are that the lines are more squiggly, that's it.

J L

Postby J L » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

Right! We tend to forget about this, since Schwarzenegger's dubbing voice tends to make up for his accent in the German versions of his attempts to speak English.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

Literally laughed out loud at the (hypothetically titled) "Jupiter", "Nature", and "Magic Flute" comics. This is approximately seven times the amount of laughter I usually get out of xkcd. Perhaps Randall's been trying too hard lately? If xkcd went from what it is now to a daily 5-minute comic of this type (or indeed a M/W/F page of them) I'd not complain a bit.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:So it's more /bɑx/ than /bax/ to me. But I elongate most of my 'a's anyway. Cahstle, Pahth, Plahstic...

Hmm, it's possible. I can't really hear the difference between the two, and I'm working entirely off a memory of a memetic version of the Terminator's line, anyway. Point remains, though, "Bach" and that particular pronunciation of "back" are assonant.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I also think that, for "5 minute comics", they're bizarrely up to par. So, how much time does he spend on his actual comics? 10 minutes each? Worse: how much time does he spend actually coming up with the jokes and developing them? The ONLY difference between the comics posted today and the previous ones are that the lines are more squiggly, that's it.

I think of the creative process differently. One has any number of nebulous ideas whirling around in one's head, which may take hours, days, weeks or months to crystallise to a three-panel idea. If you're playing a "comic in five minutes" game then you're bound to go with one of the "nearly there" ideas, which you might have spent a year mentally refining.

Sometimes I play with an idea for weeks, and then getting it down on paper / screen takes just minutes. It's the internal process that is long.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

PersuasiveFervor

Postby PersuasiveFervor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

I'm sorry. There's something wrong with me. I've been lurking for two years...and today, of all days, I've registered purely to say... DAAAAAH! "The Magic Flute" was written by Mozart!!

meticulousDrafstman

Postby meticulousDrafstman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

It took me a second reading to get, but Wagner's ring cycle is downright hilarious

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”