0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
NæturVindur
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby NæturVindur » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 am UTC

H.H wrote:First of all, I must say my knowledge of Wicca comes mainly from online sources, most of them not academic in nature (or even very reliable), so I apologize if my tone seemed aggressive, as opposed to genuinely curious.
If indeed Wicca is almost entirely a new religion (in the sense that it is not reconstructed), what canonical texts do you use, if any? How "grassroots" (in the political sense, if you know what I mean) is it? How much do rituals constitute a part of your daily lives, and if that varies greatly among believers, is there something parallel to "sacraments" allowing you directly communicate with animistic or deity-like forces?

You never sounded aggressive, simply uninformed (which you just admitted to, so we're good. I'm always willing to inform). Wicca is, as a whole, highly unorganized, and thats just the way we like it. We have no sacred text as a whole. There are many, maybe even most, who take up some form a of sacred text, but its not universal. The religion is originally based on the book of shadows of Gerald Gardner, published 1957 (if my memory serves me). This writing shows strong influences from Margret Addler and Charles Leland. Addler was a (would be) archaeologist who looked at sources from the witch trials of europe and salem, operating under the belief that the witches being hunted were of an actual underground religion of witchcraft. However, there was so little actual over lap in what the "witches" testified to, that her conclusions aren't given much store. she is the one who generated the idea of ancient witches celebrating the solar points and midpoints (solstices, equinoxes, and certain points inbetween). While there is evidence of each these days being celebrated at various geographic cultures and over time, there was never one person who claimed to celebrate them all until Addler. She also put out other practices, but I'm not certain which ones beyond the holidays. Leland wrote _Aradia, or Gospel of the Witchses_. In it he describes how he gathered his stories from a certain, unnamed, woman from Italy who had practiced and gathered the stories herself. However, there is remarkably little evidence to actually prove that these stories were not produced solely by Leland (however, there is no evidence that he made it up, so...). Aradia is a true mythological figure in Roman mythology, daughter of Diana, who did have a strong cult following before the Christian conversion, and their practices could have been similar to the witchcraft described in the Gospel, but, still no real proof. This text described many of the beliefs of how magic operates (although there is a strong emphasis in threatening the Gods with pain and torment to comply that is utterly absent in modern practice). Also, it supplies many ideas of what a witch should and should not do, and how to practice. A common idea in modern wicca is that one should worship in the nude, because you have nothing to hide from your god, as though you could hide it anyway. This come almost verbatim from the Gospel.

Beyond these texts, many wiccan will pick up the mythologies of various cultures with which that identify (such as a person with a string English heritage would probably pick up English mythologies). Also many default to Greek and Roman mythologies, simply because they are so familiar with them. I have even heard of wiccans picking up the mythologies of christianity (which confuses me, but we won;t get into that). Some wiccans won;t pick up any text to be their guide, but simply do whatever they want.

The one absolutely universal defining belief is to do what you want, so long as no one is hurt in the process ("'An it harm none, do what ye will.") Beyond this, almost all wiccans practice some form of magic/witchcraft, which means the use of spiritual means to accomplish various goals, sometimes, but not always, appealing to some deity. Also, wiccans believe in the beauty and sacredness of nature, and hold life to be sacred. Many are vegetarians for the belief that taking the life of an animal is sacrilegious (but not all, I for one, like my hamburgers). They also celebrate the changing of the seasons and the wheel of the year, as it represents the cycle of life, from birth to death and being reborn.

As for our political nature, wiccans are almost universally liberal if I remember correctly, in America, a grand total of 15% of wiccans consider themselves conservative). Beyond that, we can be, but not always, be politically active. With the lack of central organization, its hard to give a yes or no question to whether we're grassroots or not. Some are, some aren't, some even work with other wiccans to accomplish goals.

As for ceremonies, its very widely varied. some do daily rituals, some would only enter a circle if their life depended on it (a circle refers to the common practice of spritiually defining a circle to work ceremonies). Some insist that the only true wiccans are the ones who have gone through some sort of initiation into a coven. An initiation is a sort of sacrament (by the fact you used this word, can I assume you have a primarily Christian background?) that involves dedicating oneself to a deity and to the coven. Its not really a binding contract, but its a general agreement to act in a way in line with the deity's apparent goals and attributes, and to act for the betterment of the coven, so on and so forth. I'm not really sure what an initiation involves, as I never plan on having one. The idea that only those who are initiated are true wiccans generally ended in 1980's when Cunningham published "The Solitary Witch," which opened up the practice to those who want to do it alone, and it has become more and more accepted since.

To communicate with deities, its generally believed that no ceremony is really needed, and that a sort of informal prayer is all thats needed, and if it works for you, its the best. There are ceremonies that can be done to do certain things, but they're simply considered meditative tools to get you into the right mind set to do what you want to do and to be receptive to the energies around you, so that you can get your feedback.

tl;dr: texts are Gardner's Book of Shadows, along with various mythologies
wicca is an earthbased religion, revering nature
wiccans are liberal
you can go through any variety of ceremony and sacrement you want, but they aren;t really needed
"'But I cannot find where thou hast found
Hell' Quoth Love."
-Sidney Lanier, "How Love Looked for Hell"

Dave
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm UTC
Location: London. Londinium.

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:14 am UTC

"Bail out" and "dramatised sandwich making" were both excellent :D

dragondave
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby dragondave » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:47 am UTC

Let's just say that blacklightsabers are far better than fleshlightsabers.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby kryton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am UTC

As a Pastafarian, I believe in the one true Flying Spagetti Monster, that Pirates are the chosen people, and that heaven has a Beer volcano.
1298 and counting

User avatar
madjo
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:07 am UTC
Location: Dutch-land
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby madjo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:59 am UTC

I laughed out loud when I read the 9/11 one.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

H.H
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:31 am UTC
Location: 31.7;35.2
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby H.H » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

NæturVindur wrote:
H.H wrote:First of all, I must say my knowledge of Wicca comes mainly from online sources, most of them not academic in nature (or even very reliable), so I apologize if my tone seemed aggressive, as opposed to genuinely curious.
If indeed Wicca is almost entirely a new religion (in the sense that it is not reconstructed), what canonical texts do you use, if any? How "grassroots" (in the political sense, if you know what I mean) is it? How much do rituals constitute a part of your daily lives, and if that varies greatly among believers, is there something parallel to "sacraments" allowing you directly communicate with animistic or deity-like forces?

You never sounded aggressive, simply uninformed (which you just admitted to, so we're good. I'm always willing to inform). Wicca is, as a whole, highly unorganized, and thats just the way we like it. We have no sacred text as a whole. There are many, maybe even most, who take up some form a of sacred text, but its not universal. The religion is originally based on the book of shadows of Gerald Gardner, published 1957 (if my memory serves me). This writing shows strong influences from Margret Addler and Charles Leland. Addler was a (would be) archaeologist who looked at sources from the witch trials of europe and salem, operating under the belief that the witches being hunted were of an actual underground religion of witchcraft. However, there was so little actual over lap in what the "witches" testified to, that her conclusions aren't given much store. she is the one who generated the idea of ancient witches celebrating the solar points and midpoints (solstices, equinoxes, and certain points inbetween). While there is evidence of each these days being celebrated at various geographic cultures and over time, there was never one person who claimed to celebrate them all until Addler. She also put out other practices, but I'm not certain which ones beyond the holidays. Leland wrote _Aradia, or Gospel of the Witchses_. In it he describes how he gathered his stories from a certain, unnamed, woman from Italy who had practiced and gathered the stories herself. However, there is remarkably little evidence to actually prove that these stories were not produced solely by Leland (however, there is no evidence that he made it up, so...). Aradia is a true mythological figure in Roman mythology, daughter of Diana, who did have a strong cult following before the Christian conversion, and their practices could have been similar to the witchcraft described in the Gospel, but, still no real proof. This text described many of the beliefs of how magic operates (although there is a strong emphasis in threatening the Gods with pain and torment to comply that is utterly absent in modern practice). Also, it supplies many ideas of what a witch should and should not do, and how to practice. A common idea in modern wicca is that one should worship in the nude, because you have nothing to hide from your god, as though you could hide it anyway. This come almost verbatim from the Gospel.

Beyond these texts, many wiccan will pick up the mythologies of various cultures with which that identify (such as a person with a string English heritage would probably pick up English mythologies). Also many default to Greek and Roman mythologies, simply because they are so familiar with them. I have even heard of wiccans picking up the mythologies of christianity (which confuses me, but we won;t get into that). Some wiccans won;t pick up any text to be their guide, but simply do whatever they want.

The one absolutely universal defining belief is to do what you want, so long as no one is hurt in the process ("'An it harm none, do what ye will.") Beyond this, almost all wiccans practice some form of magic/witchcraft, which means the use of spiritual means to accomplish various goals, sometimes, but not always, appealing to some deity. Also, wiccans believe in the beauty and sacredness of nature, and hold life to be sacred. Many are vegetarians for the belief that taking the life of an animal is sacrilegious (but not all, I for one, like my hamburgers). They also celebrate the changing of the seasons and the wheel of the year, as it represents the cycle of life, from birth to death and being reborn.

As for our political nature, wiccans are almost universally liberal if I remember correctly, in America, a grand total of 15% of wiccans consider themselves conservative). Beyond that, we can be, but not always, be politically active. With the lack of central organization, its hard to give a yes or no question to whether we're grassroots or not. Some are, some aren't, some even work with other wiccans to accomplish goals.

As for ceremonies, its very widely varied. some do daily rituals, some would only enter a circle if their life depended on it (a circle refers to the common practice of spritiually defining a circle to work ceremonies). Some insist that the only true wiccans are the ones who have gone through some sort of initiation into a coven. An initiation is a sort of sacrament (by the fact you used this word, can I assume you have a primarily Christian background?) that involves dedicating oneself to a deity and to the coven. Its not really a binding contract, but its a general agreement to act in a way in line with the deity's apparent goals and attributes, and to act for the betterment of the coven, so on and so forth. I'm not really sure what an initiation involves, as I never plan on having one. The idea that only those who are initiated are true wiccans generally ended in 1980's when Cunningham published "The Solitary Witch," which opened up the practice to those who want to do it alone, and it has become more and more accepted since.

To communicate with deities, its generally believed that no ceremony is really needed, and that a sort of informal prayer is all thats needed, and if it works for you, its the best. There are ceremonies that can be done to do certain things, but they're simply considered meditative tools to get you into the right mind set to do what you want to do and to be receptive to the energies around you, so that you can get your feedback.

tl;dr: texts are Gardner's Book of Shadows, along with various mythologies
wicca is an earthbased religion, revering nature
wiccans are liberal
you can go through any variety of ceremony and sacrement you want, but they aren;t really needed


Thank you for the very detailed and informative account.
By sacrament I meant a physical means of communion with metaphysical forces (i.e. the Catholic mass as a way to receive god's blessing and eneter into a dialogue with him).
I am not a Catholic, Christian, or of European descent, I just have an academic background in the above mentioned subjects. Comparative religion is kind of a hobby for me, so I try to find out what I can about theistic and "atheistic" religions (aka traditional Buddhism). Unfortunately, I haven't progressed to animistic ones yet :)
.

dari1ra
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby dari1ra » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Oh don't get me wrong i love your comics, and will continue to read them.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

I'm sad to say I don't get the Halloween one :-(
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
shashwat986
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby shashwat986 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

I LOVED the "Cogito Ergo Cogito" one; reminds me of the Tautology club.
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Once again, a refreshing collection of comics that seem to go back to the roots of xkcd - I wonder how old these 5 minute comics are?

dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.
"Ancient religion" comes from the line in the movie. The fact that "wicca" doesn't fit well in the place of the Jedi/Sith Order is the joke.

...and since when is one's knowledge of hocus pocus rituals a metric for wit and/or intelligence?
I don't know what to do for you

User avatar
Tormuse
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Tormuse » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

This comic has forever changed the way I make sandwiches.
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

nomplech
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby nomplech » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

TanManDown wrote:
ElectronicFerret wrote:I laughed at the sandwich comic.

I'm not even sure why. I just lol'd. I think it's because I vaguely recall some youtube video with this premise.


I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but I really hope it's the one that Randall was. Because that would be totally awesome.


This is the first youtube video that popped into my head.

Vehemence
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Vehemence » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Picturing Randall doing this made me laugh.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby bmonk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Oh don't get me wrong i love your comics, and will continue to read them.


But, since this is set within a fictional galaxy, "a long time ago" and "far away", Wiccan might be an ancient religion there--even as it would be once we get to the stars and are there long enough to establish a galactic republic with thousands of systems.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5374
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Oh don't get me wrong i love your comics, and will continue to read them.


But, since this is set within a fictional galaxy, "a long time ago" and "far away", Wiccan might be an ancient religion there--even as it would be once we get to the stars and are there long enough to establish a galactic republic with thousands of systems.

Except that if Wicca is new now, and Star Wars is a long time ago (relative to now, presumably), then Wicca is the polar opposite of ancient in Star Wars: not only has it not been around for a long time, it's not around yet, and it won't be around for a long time more. The events of Star Wars, were they real, would be far more ancient than Wicca.

Unless you're saying time is circular and the recent past of now will be the ancient past once we loop back around to a long time ago when Star Wars is set.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
StNowhere
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby StNowhere » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Oh don't get me wrong i love your comics, and will continue to read them.


But, since this is set within a fictional galaxy, "a long time ago" and "far away", Wiccan might be an ancient religion there--even as it would be once we get to the stars and are there long enough to establish a galactic republic with thousands of systems.

Except that if Wicca is new now, and Star Wars is a long time ago (relative to now, presumably), then Wicca is the polar opposite of ancient in Star Wars: not only has it not been around for a long time, it's not around yet, and it won't be around for a long time more. The events of Star Wars, were they real, would be far more ancient than Wicca.

Unless you're saying time is circular and the recent past of now will be the ancient past once we loop back around to a long time ago when Star Wars is set.


I thought the point they were trying to make was that we only think Wicca is new now, but that it could have been truly invented in a galaxy far, far away, a long time ago, and that we've only re-invented it, or discovered it on our own.

User avatar
NæturVindur
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby NæturVindur » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

H.H wrote:Thank you for the very detailed and informative account.
By sacrament I meant a physical means of communion with metaphysical forces (i.e. the Catholic mass as a way to receive god's blessing and eneter into a dialogue with him).
I am not a Catholic, Christian, or of European descent, I just have an academic background in the above mentioned subjects. Comparative religion is kind of a hobby for me, so I try to find out what I can about theistic and "atheistic" religions (aka traditional Buddhism). Unfortunately, I haven't progressed to animistic ones yet :)

Then, yes, we do have sacraments, but they are not as formal nor as required as a catholic mass.

Pfhorrest wrote:
bmonk wrote:
dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Oh don't get me wrong i love your comics, and will continue to read them.


But, since this is set within a fictional galaxy, "a long time ago" and "far away", Wiccan might be an ancient religion there--even as it would be once we get to the stars and are there long enough to establish a galactic republic with thousands of systems.

Except that if Wicca is new now, and Star Wars is a long time ago (relative to now, presumably), then Wicca is the polar opposite of ancient in Star Wars: not only has it not been around for a long time, it's not around yet, and it won't be around for a long time more. The events of Star Wars, were they real, would be far more ancient than Wicca.

Unless you're saying time is circular and the recent past of now will be the ancient past once we loop back around to a long time ago when Star Wars is set.


OR it could happen that our wicca is the second time it has happened in the universe, the first being in the Star Wars area and era.
"'But I cannot find where thou hast found
Hell' Quoth Love."
-Sidney Lanier, "How Love Looked for Hell"

User avatar
big boss
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby big boss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

When I first saw the bailout comic I thought it was going to be a joke about the economy...
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

User avatar
le_sacre
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:24 pm UTC
Location: stanford, ca
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby le_sacre » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

The Sandwich Dramatization is just about my favorite comic ever on xkcd.

User avatar
fimzo
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby fimzo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

big boss wrote:When I first saw the bailout comic I thought it was going to be a joke about the economy...


I had to reread it, because I was expecting it to be about the economy. I like the result much better than I would like any economic/political joke, though.
-Fimzo

User avatar
agelessdrifter
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby agelessdrifter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:45 am UTC

fimzo wrote:
big boss wrote:When I first saw the bailout comic I thought it was going to be a joke about the economy...


I had to reread it, because I was expecting it to be about the economy. I like the result much better than I would like any economic/political joke, though.


reread it? It contained three words and two pictures. How did you think you missed anything?

User avatar
Strangelander
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Strangelander » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:02 am UTC

How do you play the 5-minute comic game?

I'm guessing there's a theme or seed word, everybody draws for 5 minutes, then vote or something?

User avatar
Tyrannosaur
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Tyrannosaur » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 am UTC

... How did I know as I read this that there would be an extra-long argument about religion?
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Flush
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby Flush » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am UTC

nomplech wrote:
TanManDown wrote:
ElectronicFerret wrote:I laughed at the sandwich comic.

I'm not even sure why. I just lol'd. I think it's because I vaguely recall some youtube video with this premise.


I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but I really hope it's the one that Randall was. Because that would be totally awesome.


This is the first youtube video that popped into my head.


No, it HAS to be THIS one.

rcox1
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby rcox1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Re:religion

It seems to me in the western world "real religions" tend to be those with assets; human, real estate, structures. Much of the focus is on keeping those assets. In the US this is dine by not taxing such structures, thereby taking the out of the free market and encouraging a socialist economy. The symptom of this focus on assets in culture war against secularization. Secularization does not challenge a belief system. We can all believe whatever we want. Secularization only challenges the need for over the top religious structures at the expense of civil structures. This is the same fight that exists over military versus civil structures.

The only problem with this norm is that those religions that focus on the personal connection to the almighty rather than the accumulation of wealth get ignored in the debate. We have people saying secularization in bad because church attendance is done. Going to church is not necessarily critical to exploring religious reality, only to expanding a bureaucratic reality. There are many people who connect to the almighty in woods, in their home, in borrowed space, all without the baggage that has been created to monotize a fundamental human experience that needs nothing but a person and the wonder of creation.

Which is why Christians, muslims, Jewish people etc criticizing wiccans is such a hoot. It merely shows the desperations to keep assets rather than a primary desire to accept the creator, the savior, the all powerful into their lives, even if it does not bring them more stuff.

cnulhu
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby cnulhu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

A huge number of religion posts on here, but about the bailout comic...
For some reason the way I saw it the pilots were throwing buckets of coins/money at each other, and so it would be an economic bailout. I see now that I was completely wrong, but I still found it funny.

LordLandon
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 4:01 am UTC
Location: Bermuda
Contact:

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby LordLandon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

TanManDown wrote:
ElectronicFerret wrote:I laughed at the sandwich comic.

I'm not even sure why. I just lol'd. I think it's because I vaguely recall some youtube video with this premise.


I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but I really hope it's the one that Randall was. Because that would be totally awesome.

pssh

User avatar
snowyowl
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby snowyowl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

If I were Randall, it would irritate me that these five-minute comics are more popular than the usual ones. Though it could just be that there are more of them.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

theftprevention
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby theftprevention » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

The Fantastic Mr. Fox reference made my life.

User avatar
Lady Freya
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:44 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby Lady Freya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

willpellmn wrote:Part 1 kinda sucked, but Part 2 was awesome. I'd love to see some of these ideas revisited with Randal's usual high-quality artistic style :twisted: when he's no longer up to his crotch in harsh reality.


Really?! What about the "here's that pony" one! That was hillarious!

Strangelander wrote:How do you play the 5-minute comic game?

I'm guessing there's a theme or seed word, everybody draws for 5 minutes, then vote or something?


No idea but it sounds fun! Maybe we should all have a go and see what comes from it? There could be some good results. I used to play a similar game when I was supposed to be paying attention in school called "you have 10 seconds to draw". That produced some of the most fucked up giraffes I have ever seen.

dragondave wrote:Let's just say that blacklightsabers are far better than fleshlightsabers.


And fleshlightsabres are better than recently used fleshlightsabres

webgiant
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby webgiant » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

H.H wrote:OK, I'll bite the bullet.



Reconstructed religion, anyone have any opinions about them?

Personally, I believe that religion is based on esoteric knowledge transmitted orally by the elite, alongside general community traditions. Meaning, modern Wicca is not a religion, any more than an atheistic form of Buddhism that renounces the cult of Siddhartha Gautama is a religion or the belief that democracy is the best political system of the present era is a religion.

If there are basic beliefs, a general structure of the divine (Buddhism's structure just leaves out the deities), and some sort of ritualistic behavior, then it is a religion. Science has 1 and 3 but leaves out 2, so it is not a religion.

And even by your definition, Wicca is a religion now, even if (again by your definition) it wasn't a religion when it was created: the modern Wiccan religion has esoteric knowledge transmitted orally by the elite, alongside general community traditions.

Strictly speaking (according to your definition), Christianity was not a religion when it was founded, but gradually became a religion by existing as a religion even though it wasn't a religion until it turned into a religion.

No religion can fit your definition of a religion until it has existed for awhile as a religion, and by your definition it can't exist awhile as a religion because it isn't a religion when it is created.

dari1ra wrote:I don't want to be an ass, but you do realize that the religion of Wicca, has only been around since the 1950s-1960s. Making it not an "Ancient" religion. As it is a Neo-pagan Religion. Not an actual Pagan religion. I enjoy your comics for the immense amount of wit and intelligence you put into them, however I truly am sadden that you would sacrifice your wit and intelligence even for a mere 5mins.

Whenever I hear about how "X religion has only been around for Y years [so it is less valid], I'm reminded of the Protestant Reformation. Almost 1200 years after the formation of the Catholic Church, the Protestants came along and created a reconstructed religion based on ancient principles which hadn't been in the community standards for centuries.

Nowadays no one thinks twice about the validity of non-Catholic Christian religions (except the Catholics, of course), or tries to claim it isn't part of an ancient tradition, but the Protestant Reformation was created under the very same circumstances as any modern Neo-Pagan Religion. So unless you happen to be Catholic (or, for that matter, Jewish), claiming "religious validity requires continuous timeline of operation" is quite disingenuous.

ZeroG
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby ZeroG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 am UTC

Flush wrote:
nomplech wrote:
TanManDown wrote:
ElectronicFerret wrote:I laughed at the sandwich comic.

I'm not even sure why. I just lol'd. I think it's because I vaguely recall some youtube video with this premise.


I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but I really hope it's the one that Randall was. Because that would be totally awesome.


This is the first youtube video that popped into my head.


No, it HAS to be THIS one.


That's pretty good, but I thought of this one.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby Sprocket » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Why is it always so necessary to worry about who you might have offended around here? Dear Wiccans (for example) - I trust you to have a sense of humor.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
SabreKGB
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby SabreKGB » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
ysth wrote:Can someone explain Bailout?


In aircraft terminology, "bailing out" is to jump out of a plane that is no longer flyable (though one uses the term "ejecting" if one employs ejection seats). However, in marine terminology, "bailing out" refers to using a bucket or pump to remove water that has entered your boat. Thus, the pun comes from the air crew bailing out their airplane as though it were a boat as opposed to abandoning it (the usual meaning of "bail out" for airplanes).



Fun fact: in practice, even with ejection seats, the command of execution to abandon the plane is "Bail Out!" yelled three times.

I wonder if Randall knew that when he wrote the comic?

Johnny Pixels
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby Johnny Pixels » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

SabreKGB wrote:
ijuin wrote:
ysth wrote:Can someone explain Bailout?


In aircraft terminology, "bailing out" is to jump out of a plane that is no longer flyable (though one uses the term "ejecting" if one employs ejection seats). However, in marine terminology, "bailing out" refers to using a bucket or pump to remove water that has entered your boat. Thus, the pun comes from the air crew bailing out their airplane as though it were a boat as opposed to abandoning it (the usual meaning of "bail out" for airplanes).



Fun fact: in practice, even with ejection seats, the command of execution to abandon the plane is "Bail Out!" yelled three times.

I wonder if Randall knew that when he wrote the comic?


I'm pretty sure it's "eject eject eject"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsCAeGMiBw

User avatar
Ivor Zozz
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby Ivor Zozz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

ZeroG wrote:
Flush wrote:
nomplech wrote:
TanManDown wrote:
ElectronicFerret wrote:I laughed at the sandwich comic.

I'm not even sure why. I just lol'd. I think it's because I vaguely recall some youtube video with this premise.


I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but I really hope it's the one that Randall was. Because that would be totally awesome.


This is the first youtube video that popped into my head.


No, it HAS to be THIS one.

That's pretty good, but I thought of this one.

My first thought, too.

Rackum
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby Rackum » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Johnny Pixels wrote:
SabreKGB wrote:
ijuin wrote:
ysth wrote:Can someone explain Bailout?


In aircraft terminology, "bailing out" is to jump out of a plane that is no longer flyable (though one uses the term "ejecting" if one employs ejection seats). However, in marine terminology, "bailing out" refers to using a bucket or pump to remove water that has entered your boat. Thus, the pun comes from the air crew bailing out their airplane as though it were a boat as opposed to abandoning it (the usual meaning of "bail out" for airplanes).



Fun fact: in practice, even with ejection seats, the command of execution to abandon the plane is "Bail Out!" yelled three times.

I wonder if Randall knew that when he wrote the comic?


I'm pretty sure it's "eject eject eject"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsCAeGMiBw

I disagree

User avatar
SabreKGB
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Re: 0820: “Five-Minute Comics: Part 2”

Postby SabreKGB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:09 am UTC

Johnny Pixels wrote:
SabreKGB wrote:
ijuin wrote:
ysth wrote:Can someone explain Bailout?


In aircraft terminology, "bailing out" is to jump out of a plane that is no longer flyable (though one uses the term "ejecting" if one employs ejection seats). However, in marine terminology, "bailing out" refers to using a bucket or pump to remove water that has entered your boat. Thus, the pun comes from the air crew bailing out their airplane as though it were a boat as opposed to abandoning it (the usual meaning of "bail out" for airplanes).



Fun fact: in practice, even with ejection seats, the command of execution to abandon the plane is "Bail Out!" yelled three times.

I wonder if Randall knew that when he wrote the comic?


I'm pretty sure it's "eject eject eject"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsCAeGMiBw


No, it's definitely "Bail Out", however i should have been more specific and said "In the US..." Those silly Brits, having to be different...

webgiant
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby webgiant » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:59 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Why is it always so necessary to worry about who you might have offended around here? Dear Wiccans (for example) - I trust you to have a sense of humor.

Saying that Wiccans are all into hexes and curses is on par with talking about the "Christian baby blood content" of Jewish matzohs: both concepts are very insulting, both are untrue, both were invented by Christians, and neither one is funny at all.

Why not just use the original Christian creation and call them "Christian witches" instead of bringing in a completely unrelated religion which doesn't use "hexes and curses"? I know, everyone is just too LAZY to actually be right instead of going for the bigot phrase. At least Randall caught his error and apologized in the alt text.

User avatar
RebeccaRGB
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am UTC
Location: Lesbians Love Bluetooth
Contact:

Re: 0820: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 2"

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:18 am UTC

Definitely burnt the cheese with the 9/11 one and the sandwich one. Oh, how I love these. :D
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leovan and 89 guests