0825: "Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

soren121

0825: "Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)"

Postby soren121 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 am UTC

Alt-text: "Guest comic by Jeffrey Rowland of Overcompensating/Wigu. Jeffrey is famous as the picture on the Wikipedia article on 'Necrosis'."

Is...is that Black Hat Guy? He's got an awfully tall hat. Perhaps it's Abe Lincoln.
Last edited by soren121 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

_infina_

Re: 0825: "Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)"

Postby _infina_ » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:01 am UTC

I...think it may be...I am really enjoying this guest week. Randall should do these more often, and not just when he needs help.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Holy fuck, that picture is scary!
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 am UTC

As said in the other thread, Black Hat guy isn't the same when not drawn by Randall
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:04 am UTC

3D Black Hat Guy!

Also, I like the umbrella in the scotch glass. Pure class ;)

HI JOEE

Elesti

Postby Elesti » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 am UTC

That shrinking globe is scaring me...
Also, bhg needs to do something awesomely absurd here.
I need the absurdness!

soren121

Postby soren121 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 am UTC

Elesti wrote:That shrinking globe is scaring me...

Hmm...the rug appears to be closer, the chairs got marginally larger, but the globe shrunk! I guess Jeffrey isn't much of a perfectionist.
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:28 am UTC

The simple explanation is that the chairs moved closer to the foreground.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

iwanttobelieve

Postby iwanttobelieve » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:33 am UTC

The comic had horrendous timing. If Not-black-hat-guy only waited that long to say something because he was in shock, it wasn't shown well. Otherwise it is just a delay so another kinda lame joke can get slung in there.

But I fully expected the wikipedia picture to be gross. And it was. And that is hilarious.

Good work, guest.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:42 am UTC

I want to know what the first guy is drinking. Looks like something in a tall mug with one of those little parasols sticking out of the top. That right there is a drink for a man who says "I don't give a fuck what you think I should be drinking." That's a guy I want to go drinking with.

katrmr

Postby katrmr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Hell, I was EATING my breakfast when I went to Wikipedia.

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:47 am UTC

I'm not sure if there's a hidden joke in this comic, but now after reading the above comments, I need to go to Wikipedia.
Edit: Eww.

Blaze Krakaros

Postby Blaze Krakaros » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:26 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tissu ... dicine.jpg

Urk. Why do these boards not have the puking smiley?

akrolsmir

Postby akrolsmir » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:11 am UTC

So right now, I'm reading it as though the hat guy responded about five minute late to the Thanksgiving theory.

Or is there some kind of analogy that can be drawn between the dark matter hypothesis and turkeys?

Either way, I didn't like this guest strip nearly as much as the others.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 am UTC

Hm. Is there a thread somewhere on here where we can draw guest strips?

Randall could get a week of 'guest strips by completely unknown talentless members.'

Covane

Postby Covane » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:53 am UTC

It would be wise to not go to the wikipedia article.

Edit: It would be wise to not scroll down on the wikipedia article.

Raulst

Postby Raulst » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Covane wrote:It would be wise to not go to the wikipedia article.

Whoops, too late.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:14 am UTC

Warning: The "necrosis" picture on Wikipedia WILL make you sick to your stomach, as it shows what a fully necrotized human limb looks like. It reminded me of an orange in a state of extreme rot. Trust me, your current mental image of it is MUCH less unpleasant than the actual sight.

Anyway, I think that the meta-joke here is that we have a guy capable of making even Black Hat Guy go WTF, which in itself is an impressive accomplishment.

(Wayne and Garth impression): We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

On the topic of Dark Matter as the substance of Consciousness, I am reminded of the "Dust" in Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 am UTC

That picture upset you guys that much? Guess you haven't worked in the medical field cause that wasn't as bad as what I was thinking. Of course my mind went to the burn unit and radiation burns....

KeithM

Postby KeithM » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:34 am UTC

Turkey's are stupid. Presenting the species as fit for human consumption will not drive them to extinction, it will do the exact opposite.
"It is nothing short of a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry." - A.E.

Vaskafdt

Postby Vaskafdt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:34 am UTC

it would also be wise to not search Necrosis Fetish on google images.
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 am UTC

vaskafdt wrote:

Is it a habit to add "fetish" to google searches to see what comes up?

Actually, that sounds like an entertaining hobby.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:50 am UTC

vaskafdt wrote:

My curiosity got the better of me, and almost certainly thankfully, rule 34 seems to have failed.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 am UTC

soren121 wrote:Is...is that Black Hat Guy? He's got an awfully tall hat. Perhaps it's Abe Lincoln.
Looks like Randall XKCD. It's an interesting intersection of realities no matter how you look at it.
soren121 wrote:.
Elesti wrote:That shrinking globe is scaring me...
Hmm...the rug appears to be closer, the chairs got marginally larger, but the globe shrunk! I guess Jeffrey isn't much of a perfectionist.
Obviously, it's a "dolly-in/zoom-out" for dramatic effect.

vidd

Postby vidd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:43 am UTC

Unless your drink is expecting rain, you should probably reconsider. stay thirsty, my friends.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 am UTC

Some expert trolling, Randall. A+!

Also, picture isn't that gross. Maybe I've been desensitized by the internet. Well anyway, I'll go be looking at a squid crawling out of a woman's vagina. Seeya.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Hamra

Postby Hamra » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:02 am UTC

well, ok, i've never heard of overcompensation before, so i went there to look, and noticed there's a "Very Good Comic Website" at the bottom of the page, with a bunch of comics in it... but no XKCD in there... i am kinda disappointed.. not to mention that half of those listed are lame.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:15 am UTC

I don't think I've been desensitized by the internet....but that brown recluse bite really isn't all that gross. Sure, it looks really painful, and I wouldn't want to touch it without gloves, but it isn't sickening.

Try shaking hands with a guy who was trapped in a burning building, sustained terrible burns on his arm, then leaped from a balcony and broke that same arm grotesquely so that it is both strangely shaped and covered in burn scar tissue. I was doing personal injury work for a law office; the landlord of the apartment building this guy lived in was a classic example of why you shouldn't ignore fire codes. I don't know why he insisted on shaking hands with that hand, though; it looked so painful and felt so alien that it turned my stomach every time.

EDIT: Oh.

I scrolled down and saw the leg. **retch**

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 am UTC

Blaze Krakaros wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tissue_necrosis_following_bite_from_Bothrops_asper_PLoS_Medicine.jpg

Urk. Why do these boards not have the puking smiley?

*Hurls*. Being a long term reader of Overcompensating I've seen the brown spider bite picture many times before. So I thought, I'll just click on that link, it's nothing I can't handle...

...Oh dear god that's not the brown spider bite! *Hurls again*

Why oh why do I keep breaking my golden rule of not clicking on links to images on the internet? WHY?

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

I like overcompensating. This was exactly Overcompensating's style of humor, too, much as Bill Amend's guest strip was pure FoxTrot. And yet I enjoyed that one, while this one wasn't particularly funny. Probably because the punchline requires context to really appreciate, whereas yesterday's was totally self-contained. Overcompensating (for those who don't know), sort of like achewood and its story arcs, features similarly lengthy conversations between Jeffrey and Weedmaster P, and the punchline is rolling rather than incremental.

Since xkcd has no real established characters (with the exception of bhg, and his 'character' basically amounts to HURR HURR RANDOM ACTS OF VIOLENCE), I don't think it works as well here. If at all.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

This is the first decidedly poor "interim" comic in the past two weeks. Firstly, the reference to dark matter being part of our consciousness is just dumb, and reminds me to quantum mysticism. "Unobservable to anything that is itself conscious"? There's not even enough substance here to demonstrate that the author has the slightest clue what they're parodying/mocking.

Obviously the author knows this, because they can't even conclude the comic with a punchline relevant to the setup.
I don't know what to do for you

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:This is the first decidedly poor "interim" comic in the past two weeks. Firstly, the reference to dark matter being part of our consciousness is just dumb, and reminds me to quantum mysticism. "Unobservable to anything that is itself conscious"? There's not even enough substance here to demonstrate that the author has the slightest clue what they're parodying/mocking.

Obviously the author knows this, because they can't even conclude the comic with a punchline relevant to the setup.

Wow, you thought he was being serious? Cleary you've never read Overcompensating before. Of course it's near-gibberish, that's the freaking point. The punchline is that this isn't the only insane thing jeffrey has said so far in their conversation, and the reason bhg is quiet isn't because he's listening intently but because he's in shock. This is a pretty common joke in Overcompensating.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:Wow, you thought he was being serious? Cleary you've never read Overcompensating before. Of course it's near-gibberish, that's the freaking point. The punchline is that this isn't the only insane thing jeffrey has said so far in their conversation, and the reason bhg is quiet isn't because he's listening intently but because he's in shock. This is a pretty common joke in Overcompensating.
I didn't think he was being serious, but what's so clever about rambling off a stream of gibberish? You could replace 'dark matter' with any phenomenon you could imagine and the result is the same - nothing that even remotely resembles reality enough to even call it a parody of the phenomenon.

It's unfortunate if that's a pretty common joke in Overcompensating, I don't see that as a justification in this case.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
Cool Username wrote:Wow, you thought he was being serious? Cleary you've never read Overcompensating before. Of course it's near-gibberish, that's the freaking point. The punchline is that this isn't the only insane thing jeffrey has said so far in their conversation, and the reason bhg is quiet isn't because he's listening intently but because he's in shock. This is a pretty common joke in Overcompensating.
I didn't think he was being serious, but what's so clever about rambling off a stream of gibberish? You could replace 'dark matter' with any phenomenon you could imagine and the result is the same - nothing that even remotely resembles reality enough to even call it a parody of the phenomenon.

It's unfortunate if that's a pretty common joke in Overcompensating, I don't see that as a justification in this case.

I think you're totally missing the joke. Jeffrey isn't trying to parody the phenomenon because unlike Randall he's not trying to make "look how stupid pseudoscience is you guys" into a punchline. In fact, if he were presenting it cleverly, that'd actively go against the grain of his punchline.

The cleverness is in the subversion of expectations (ie the punchline, or the heart of the joke itself), not the setup. Articulating a complex and intelligent defense of the dark-matter-as-consciousness idea would draw attention away from what the punchline is supposed to be. Because frankly, unlike Randall, Jeffrey knows how to construct a joke. :/

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:

I think you're totally missing the joke. Jeffrey isn't trying to parody the phenomenon because unlike Randall he's not trying to make "look how stupid pseudoscience is you guys" into a punchline. In fact, if he were presenting it cleverly, that'd actively go against the grain of his punchline.

The cleverness is in the subversion of expectations (ie the punchline, or the heart of the joke itself), not the setup. Articulating a complex and intelligent defense of the dark-matter-as-consciousness idea would draw attention away from what the punchline is supposed to be. Because frankly, unlike Randall, Jeffrey knows how to construct a joke. :/

... Is that you, Jeffrey?
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:The cleverness is in the subversion of expectations (ie the punchline, or the heart of the joke itself), not the setup. Articulating a complex and intelligent defense of the dark-matter-as-consciousness idea would draw attention away from what the punchline is supposed to be. Because frankly, unlike Randall, Jeffrey knows how to construct a joke. :/
Jeffrey apparently learned how to construct a joke from a manatee; it follows one non-sequitur with another non-sequitur. "Hey guys, this moustache person says two inane things that no person would ever believe - who would have expected that the other guy is baffled?"

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:[...]

Is that why you have to explain to people what makes it funny...?

No, but srsly, I rather enjoyed this strip, although I did find the punchline to be a bit of a letdown. I like how it mixes Jeffrey's and Randall's styles, though.

Also, very interesting that that's his leg (although people should be mindful that it's the first picture on that page, not the last one). I've seen it several times, and while it doesn't make me feel ill (probably de-sensitized by internets and by doing two work experience weeks at a hospital ward back in middle school), it does creep me out a bit; necrosis is definitely high up on my list of afflictions that I really don't want even if I end up recovering fully from them.
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

skitch78

Postby skitch78 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:The simple explanation is that the chairs moved closer to the foreground.

Then the guy with the hat is Jamiroquai?

{edit: yes I know the band is Jamiroquai, but who really knows who Jay Kay is?}

enderverse

Postby enderverse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I read the first few, the last few, then pushed random a bunch of times, and finally read a bunch in a row in case there was an actual plot.

Came to the conclusion that if you like family guy, you'll like overcompensating.

P.S. I don't like family guy.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
Cool Username wrote:The cleverness is in the subversion of expectations (ie the punchline, or the heart of the joke itself), not the setup. Articulating a complex and intelligent defense of the dark-matter-as-consciousness idea would draw attention away from what the punchline is supposed to be. Because frankly, unlike Randall, Jeffrey knows how to construct a joke. :/
Jeffrey apparently learned how to construct a joke from a manatee; it follows one non-sequitur with another non-sequitur. "Hey guys, this moustache person says two inane things that no person would ever believe - who would have expected that the other guy is baffled?"

That's not what I was referring to. What I'm talking about is the basic rule of thumb to Keep It Simple, Stupid. You don't put unnecessary information or context into a joke unless it's integral to the punchline. It's the difference between "A man runs into a bar and says ouch" and "Eric Smith loosened his tie as he strode across the parking lot. He had just finished a painfully long day working in the office as a patent lawyer and he needed something to take his mind off of things. He couldn't go home and face his family, not yet. Not like this. Not at the verge of a breakdown. His family wasn't awful by any stretch, but the infant demanded so much of his wife's time that whenever he arrived home she herself was invariably at her wit's end. People reassured them with the promise that such behavior was only a phase, that Teddy would quickly grow out of it, but that didn't help anyone in the meantime. In the meantime he was still an irrepressible two-year-old. Sighing, Eric strode into the bar, and as it struck him across the forehead he exclaimed 'ouch!'".
This rule of thumb (like all others) exists for a reason; you don't want to distract your audience. They're here for a joke, not a walk around the block.

And, for what it's worth, this one isn't particularly funny, again thanks to context. I suggest you read some Overcompensating for reference, because it starts becoming funny as you slowly come around to the perspective of the characters themselves and their inane ramblings become slowly more palatable and absurd. It doesn't stand on it's own, which was my principal criticism in the first place. It'd be as if Chris Onstad did a guest strip and simply put Roast Beef next to beret guy while Beef did his thing and beret guy was baffled.

tesseraktik wrote:
Cool Username wrote:[...]

Is that why you have to explain to people what makes it funny...?

No, it's why I'm able to explain where the punchline is. For comparison, a majority of Randall's latest comics have people speculating for pages what the joke is 'supposed' to be.

And again, I didn't find this one particularly funny

No, but srsly, I rather enjoyed this strip, although I did find the punchline to be a bit of a letdown. I like how it mixes Jeffrey's and Randall's styles, though.

It does (Overcompensating-style punchline, xkcd-style topic), but I think what left the punchline deflated is a lack of character development. When it's one-and-done, like this is, it just isn't as funny.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”