0825: "Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jwwells

Re: 0825: "Guest Week: Jeffrey Rowland (Overcompensating)"

Postby jwwells » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

I thought the conversation was getting so inane that BHG would rather talk about Voluntary Turkey Extinction than hear this guy's "theory about ghosts."

In other words, it is a Randall-ish punchline - "if you've got to listen to stupidity, listen to amusing stupidity."

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

I agree with uncivlengr. I didn't get or enjoy this one, personally. Even having read the explanation, I'm not sure why it's funny.

One for Overcompensating fans, then!

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Cool Username wrote:This rule of thumb (like all others) exists for a reason; you don't want to distract your audience. They're here for a joke, not a walk around the block.
Yes, the slightest amount of substance is terribly distracting, isn't it?

If you're just talking about pure absurd humour, then this isn't it - turkey voluntary extinction and dark matter composing our consciousness aren't humourously absurd, they're just dumb ideas. Taking that away, the "punchline" here is just, "surprise, this guy didn't just say one stupid thing, he said another stupid thing before that, too!" Har har har.

I'm not interested in reading this other comic just to "get" a joke that otherwise has no merit, especially since you claim this is the standard model it follows.
I don't know what to do for you

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Also, I like the umbrella in the scotch glass. Pure class ;)
That's what makes it a Scotch on the rocks!

Covane

Postby Covane » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Cal Engime wrote:
glasnt wrote:Also, I like the umbrella in the scotch glass. Pure class ;)
That's what makes it a Scotch on the rocks!

Nah, that's what keeps it dry.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

oh wow. i just got sucked to wikipedia again.... Two very interesting images on that page... and links to "maggot therapy" and "Debridement" with even more interesting pictures.....

and to join the argument, i looked at a coupla overcompensating comics, and decided it's not my style.
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:04 am UTC

Nice to see support from other web comic artists, but this comic wasnt my favorite. The end.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

sportsracer48

Postby sportsracer48 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:06 am UTC

AH! the globe! Still, great comic.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:45 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:If you're just talking about pure absurd humour, then this isn't it - turkey voluntary extinction and dark matter composing our consciousness aren't humourously absurd, they're just dumb ideas. Taking that away, the "punchline" here is just, "surprise, this guy didn't just say one stupid thing, he said another stupid thing before that, too!" Har har har.

I'm not interested in reading this other comic just to "get" a joke that otherwise has no merit, especially since you claim this is the standard model it follows.

The "joke", as I understand it, is based on the known characterization of Black Hat Guy. Basically, BHG has been established as somebody who does stuff for lulzs that makes regular people go WTF, and so now here's somebody that can make even BHG himself go WTF. The humor is in the role reversal.

Platypus222

Postby Platypus222 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 am UTC

Just wanted to do a quick bit of bragging -- I'm responsible for originally putting Rowland's leg on Wikipedia. I put a picture from his Flickr on Wikipedia (after emailing him for proper permission). After arguing with someone as to whether or not it was really necrosis or a brown recluse bite, it wasn't on either of those pages, but later on someone else cropped the image and added it back to both, where it currently remains.

As an avid reader of all three webcomics in question, I'm happy to be partially responsible for Rowland being known as the Necrosis Guy.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:23 am UTC

There's also some meta self depreciation there; he can't think of anything smart enough to share with XKCD, so he babbles nonsensically. Rowland also does a lot of parody where he puts himself/his character in the position of something he can't stand. I started going through the Overcompensating archives looking for a good example, but then I was just going through the archives because a lot of them make me laugh 'til I cry.

Manabu

Postby Manabu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

The turkey voluntary extinction is probably a reference to "The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement" (google it, as I can't put links in my first posts...). But it seems to work in some different way... do turkeys refuse to procriate?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”