0826: "Guest Week: Zach Weiner (SMBC)"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoDecafJava

Re: 0826: "Guest Week: Zach Weiner (SMBC)"

Postby NoDecafJava » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 am UTC

My first post here, hello everyone. I will take the opportunity to introduce myself later but suffice it to say that I am also living through a serious family illness like Randall and this comic made me lol literally for the first time in a couple of weeks. Thanks Zach and thank you Randall for all the laughs you have given me. :D

tioko

Postby tioko » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Oh me yarm, the blue cape guy in the corner is Sagan-man!

http://xkcd.com/663/

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

At the theif's trial-
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

talkeetna

Postby talkeetna » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 am UTC

I think this comic has crossed the line from humor into gender profiling. Way funny!

yVern

Postby yVern » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 am UTC

Oh, GOD YES. I love SM-BC and xkcd equally; I was praying that Zach was going to do a comic this week for Randall. And I loved it!

Boland

Postby Boland » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Soooo water expands when it turns to ice... then why will the oceans rise when it all melts away?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Boland wrote:Soooo water expands when it turns to ice... then why will the oceans rise when it all melts away?

Because a lot of ice is on land, but when it melts it will flow into the oceans, increasing the volume of water therein. Melting sea ice does nothing for sea levels (though it does lots of other very bad things for other aspects of the environment, e.g. the major ocean current which allows Britain to have a summer instead of permanent snowfall).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Boland wrote:Soooo water expands when it turns to ice... then why will the oceans rise when it all melts away?

Three things to consider:
  • Most Arctic Sea Ice has melted due to global warming already. The ice that remains is on land.
  • The average temperature of the oceans is above 4C, the temperature at which water is most dense.
  • The ice on land actually lowers the level of the Earth's crust in the area. With the weight removed, sea levels may appear lower where the ice used to be, but higher elsewhere.

Ninja'd; Does that mean I should provide citations too?
Did you get the number on that truck?

galexcd

Postby galexcd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Shouldn't the "France: Fact or Fiction" and "The Renaissance" comics in the Conservatory of Poorly Remembered History be switched? In the mini-comic for The Renaissance it looks as if the exhibit is a tent (possibly filled with wax sculptures of wizards standing on large pedestals overpowering statues of their weak opponents below). The mini-comic for France: Fact or Fiction does not have the tent or the flags in it. Just sayin'

On a different note...
First post hooray! (Been lurking for ages, apparently I made an account 2 years ago. Totally don't remember doing that but ok).

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:19 am UTC

Since it's been mentioned twice, I might as well provide specifics: most of the "polar ice caps" are in fact the antarctic ice cap, which covers a continent nearly twice the size of Australia; this will cause pain when it melts(note to envirofanatics: even without people, total deglaciation will occur - ice caps are an aberration).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 am UTC

BioTube wrote:
Since it's been mentioned twice, I might as well provide specifics: most of the "polar ice caps" are in fact the antarctic ice cap, which covers a continent nearly twice the size of Australia; this will cause pain when it melts(note to envirofanatics: even without people, total deglaciation will occur - ice caps are an aberration).

Exactly. Of course it wouldn't raise sea levels if all the ice was in water; that's why it's on land. Greenland is covered with a gigantic sheet of ice over a mile thick at its center. That's gonna leave a mark when it melts.

Ent

Postby Ent » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Actually, sea ice does matter...

New formed sea ice contains some salt, but somehow the salt will gradually leak (forget the actual mechanism), and the result is, after several years, the icebergs will become "fresh".

A fresh iceberg floating in sea water will occupy less volume than in fresh water, but it still gives the same volume of water when it melts. Since melting in fresh water doesn't change the water level, melting in sea water will actually increase the sea level.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”