0830: "Genetic Analysis"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

from canada

0830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby from canada » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Alt text: There's still a chance you were conceived via IVF. But we've checked your mom's college yearbook photos, and whether or not she and your father had sex, it's clear that ... listen, I know this is hard for you.

Made it just so I could call it "alt text".

Also, OLD PEOPLE SEX

iwanttobelieve

Re: 830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby iwanttobelieve » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 am UTC

I believe the whole "illness" break was a ruse. Randall needed a break for new comic ideas, and was too proud to admit it.

His comics have been great since the break.

I actually laughed at this one (and also the past few). He hadn't done that in a while.

Squid Tamer

Re: 0830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby Squid Tamer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 am UTC

This is a concept that I struggle with from time to time. But it always comes back...

alahos

Postby alahos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 am UTC

And later, he discovers that he was "involuntary". Not only did his parents have sex, those bastards did it for fun!

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:17 am UTC

iwanttobelieve wrote:I believe the whole "illness" break was a ruse. Randall needed a break for new comic ideas, and was too proud to admit it.

I actually laughed at this one (and also the past few). He hadn't done that in a while.

Really? This has to be the most fuckin' boringest comic ever. There's nothing there. LOL ZOMG GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE BORN YOUR PARENTS HAD TO HAVE SEX (sometimes) FUCKING CRAZY BULLSHIT IS THAT!

and yes i did make the thread just to troll it, though from the lack of response I can see randall's put the forum (not fora, cocksuckers~!) to sleep

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 am UTC

iwanttobelieve wrote:I believe the whole "illness" break was a ruse. Randall needed a break for new comic ideas, and was too proud to admit it.

But Writer's Block is a serious medical condition :!:

You think your parnets having sex is scary, well guess what :?: Your grandparents also had sex and they may even be having sex RIGHT NOW... disturbing isn't it :?:
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 am UTC

from canada wrote:though from the lack of response I can see randall's put the forum (not fora, ***********~!) to sleep

I had to hard refresh to get the comic to update, I think not a lot of people have seen it yet because of cache issues or somethin'.
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 am UTC

I had to face this dark reality one day when I was vacuuming my parent's bedroom and stumbled upon a condom wrapper. A lambskin condom wrapper.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

I'm pretty sure I'm a Valentine baby.

But the comic, it was kinda boring.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 am UTC

Brain bleach, stat!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 am UTC

rpgamer wrote:Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

Since I was conceived about 2 weeks into my Mum's first university semester, and my sister's birthday is the day before mine (but 5 years later), I'm reasonably sure that she was conceived on the 5th anniversary of the first time my parents had sex.

ddxxdd

Postby ddxxdd » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:

You think your parnets having sex is scary, well guess what :?: Your grandparents also had sex and they may even be having sex RIGHT NOW... disturbing isn't it :?:

I'm waiting for someone to say something worth sigging...

I Know Your Name

Postby I Know Your Name » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:10 am UTC

hahaha

Sofie

Postby Sofie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 am UTC

Most people past puberty has a sex drive, most people would like to act on it. Why does it seem wrong to so many people that "unsexy" (old, disabled, fat, ugly, your parents etc) people have sex?

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:

That IS disturbing, considering both my grandfathers are dead

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 am UTC

Reminds me of the old one, I think I got it from Vonnegut: "I come from a long line of swimmers, champions every one of them."

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:42 am UTC

from canada wrote:

Really? This has to be the most fuckin' boringest comic ever. There's nothing there. LOL ZOMG GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE BORN YOUR PARENTS HAD TO HAVE SEX (sometimes) FUCKING CRAZY BULLSHIT IS THAT!

Yeah, um, here's the clue phone ringing for you: while yes, technically, our parents had sex to allow us to be born, none of us want to dwell on the idea of our parents having sex. NONE OF US! We'd rather hear we have inoperable cancer, three days to live, and the knowledge that the cancer will kill us in an agonizingly slow way, than think about our parents having sex.

I think a great way to find out if someone is a space alien come to Earth to eat our brains, is ask them if they can imagine their parents having sex. If they can, they're aliens.

Hence the insanely funny humor of the comic.

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:46 am UTC

<i>Several</i> chromosomes? I guess I'm totally wrong here, but shouldn't he only have a few?

Sofie

Postby Sofie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 am UTC

webgiant wrote:
from canada wrote:

Yeah, um, here's the clue phone ringing for you: while yes, technically, our parents had sex to allow us to be born, none of us want to dwell on the idea of our parents having sex. NONE OF US! We'd rather hear we have inoperable cancer, three days to live, and the knowledge that the cancer will kill us in an agonizingly slow way, than think about our parents having sex.

I think a great way to find out if someone is a space alien come to Earth to eat our brains, is ask them if they can imagine their parents having sex. If they can, they're aliens.

Hence the insanely funny humor of the comic.

"Us" with Freudian complexes, or what? :|

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 am UTC

webgiant wrote:Yeah, um, here's the clue phone ringing for you: while yes, technically, our parents had sex to allow us to be born, none of us want to dwell on the idea of our parents having sex. NONE OF US! We'd rather hear we have inoperable cancer, three days to live, and the knowledge that the cancer will kill us in an agonizingly slow way, than think about our parents having sex.

Which is kind of crazy, when you think about it. Everyone likes sex, and most people would be happy for their friend (or jealous) if they knew they were "getting some". So why do people have this "thing" about their parents (some of the people that you like most in the world) doing something that makes them happy?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:00 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:Which is kind of crazy, when you think about it. Everyone likes sex, and most people would be happy for their friend (or jealous) if they knew they were "getting some". So why do people have this "thing" about their parents (some of the people that you like most in the world) doing something that makes them happy?
Distaste for regarding one's parents in a sexual manner would be selected for evolutionarily, given that inbreeding tends to cause genetic defects.
I don't know what to do for you

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 am UTC

Uninfinity wrote:<i>Several</i> chromosomes? I guess I'm totally wrong here, but shouldn't he only have a few?

26 pairs... there's definitely room there to check some of them and refer to it as "several"...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Sofie wrote:Most people past puberty has a sex drive, most people would like to act on it. Why does it seem wrong to so many people that "unsexy" (old, disabled, fat, ugly, your parents etc) people have sex?

"Your parents" doesn't belong with the others. The reason why people don't want to think about old/fat/ugly people having sex is because these people are not attractive combined with the intimate, somewhat gross act of sex. You put yourselves in their shoes and you imagine that person on top of you and you shudder. Which is kinda mean. But even though I respect the right of obese people having sex...I just really don't want to see it.

"Your parents" are not necessarily unsexy, but the reason why we don't want to think about it is because of the incest taboo. When you think about people having sex, that generally turns you on, and we really don't want to think about our parents having sex because it kinda feels like we will get turned on by that, so we try to not think about it as much as possible. Irrational, but typical psychology. And no one said it's wrong. Just..icky.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Sofie

Postby Sofie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 am UTC

sje46 wrote:When you think about people having sex, that generally turns you on

Ah. Thinking about sex and getting turned on are completely different things for me.

LSN

Postby LSN » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Gattaca reference, anyone?

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:29 am UTC

Sofie wrote:Most people past puberty has a sex drive, most people would like to act on it. Why does it seem wrong to so many people that "unsexy" (old, disabled, fat, ugly, your parents etc) people have sex?

Well said.
maintain wonder.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Distaste for regarding one's parents in a sexual manner would be selected for evolutionarily, given that inbreeding tends to cause genetic defects.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Evolutionary psychology is a crazy thing sometimes.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:38 am UTC

Sofie wrote:

Ah. Thinking about sex and getting turned on are completely different things for me.

Do you ever get turned on without thinking about sex? It becomes a pavlovian reacion. You get turned on often enough by thinking about sex that you don't even want to risk thinking about your parents.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:13 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Sofie wrote:

Do you ever get turned on without thinking about sex? It becomes a pavlovian reacion. You get turned on often enough by thinking about sex that you don't even want to risk thinking about your parents.

Technically the whole reason for the "turned on" compulsion is to insure the creation of future generations. As generalized contraception has become readily available, and the act itself becomes separated from the results there-of, I would postulate that it will be the producing of future generations that will be selected for, rather than the compulsion to engage in the specific act. My suspicion is that this process is already in evidence by the divergence between those who are complete freaked out at the idea that at some point in the past their parents did "it", and the "I am, therefore they did," crowd.

That said, I am not at all surprise that the "action" compulsion has been the dominant one up until now, simply because it requires far less code to create an impulse to commit an act, than it does to create a compulsion to create a result by any means possible. This is even more true, given that evolutionary development process by the "infinite monkeys" model.

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:14 am UTC

I feel like I've seen this joke somewhere before, but I don't know where. Maybe it's just some kind of massive deja vu effect.

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 am UTC

What are those bumps on his arms? I can maybe believe that the one near his hand is a watch, but since when do Randall's people wear watches? And what is that one up by his shoulder? A blood pressure cuff? He lifted weights with one arm? A brain slug making is way to his head?
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am UTC

People still wear watches? Last time I saw a watch was on an 8 year old kid. Maybe my Latin teacher wore one too...he's a pretty classy guy. But man, everyone uses cellphones now a days.

Which is kinda sad. I like wearing a watch. But I would feel like a dork wearing one.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:Everyone likes sex

*Ahem* No, not everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://www.asexuality.org to avoid making that mistake again.

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Never understood this particular issue of squeamishness, and find it bizarre that some people believe (almost) everyone shares it.

It's also quite likely that most people you know have some kink or other that you really don't get. Of course, this includes your parents.

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Uninfinity wrote:<i>Several</i> chromosomes? I guess I'm totally wrong here, but shouldn't he only have a few?

26 pairs... there's definitely room there to check some of them and refer to it as "several"...

I thought humans only had 23 pairs of chromosomes, barring mutations and other abnormalities.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

raj.k

Postby raj.k » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am UTC

There's 23 pairs in gametes (sex cells) and 46 in somatic cells (everything else).

At first, I thought this was a reference to 1984, where it was severely frowned upon for people to have sex, and artsem (artificial semination in Newspeak) was prevalent instead. It was a lot funnier when I thought that. Alt text was pretty good, however.

Max2009 wrote:What are those bumps on his arms? I can maybe believe that the one near his hand is a watch, but since when do Randall's people wear watches? And what is that one up by his shoulder? A blood pressure cuff? He lifted weights with one arm? A brain slug making is way to his head?

Interesting. It may just be Randall's style of roughly drawn stickmen, but it seems the bumps are in the same place on every tile.

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:58 am UTC

Reminds me of a Seinfeld line:
Wouldn't it be great if you found out you were adopted? Then your parents might just be really, really, really good friends.

squig

Postby squig » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:22 am UTC

I don't see what the problem is, I think about your parents having sex all the time.

drazen

Postby drazen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:38 am UTC

...Not only did they have sex, but if you're currently a college student, you might have been conceived to the beat of, say, MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." (plenty of other examples... and this trick works for just about any time period.)

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 am UTC

sje46 wrote:People still wear watches? Last time I saw a watch was on an 8 year old kid. Maybe my Latin teacher wore one too...he's a pretty classy guy. But man, everyone uses cellphones now a days.

Which is kinda sad. I like wearing a watch. But I would feel like a dork wearing one.

Really? You feel like a dork wearing a goddamned watch?

Methinks there be some self confidence issues there. I wear one everyday, but I don't see a whole lot of other people doing it. So what? I have easy access to the time, they don't. And it's under my shirtsleeve most of the time anyway.

Also, I find it somewhat ironic that we're in essence going back to the pocketwatch, as the wristwatch rose to prominence because people got sick and tired of always having to fish their watches out of their pockets.

Actually, thinking of pocketwatches, I've noticed an uptick in their popularity. I don't see a whole lot of people carrying them, but I've seen at least 2 or three people on campus carry them regularly. Unless they're actively looking at them it's not easy to spot the chain going into the pocket, but I've noticed a few around. And a few is a lot more then I've really seen among the general populace before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”