0830: "Genetic Analysis"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Technical Ben

Re: 0830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:41 am UTC

LSN wrote:Gattaca reference, anyone?

Cool if it is. I just remember that scene now (No the other one!) where they mention he is "natural" or something in a derogatory way.
It was on again last week.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:I thought humans only had 23 pairs of chromosomes, barring mutations and other abnormalities.

Oh, humans! That makes things different!

Yes, this was certainly just a hilarious misunderstanding, and in no way caused by me misremembering the number. The ridiculousness of such a suggestion should be self-evident.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Afakaz

Postby Afakaz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 am UTC

Well, if the bump on his wrist IS a watch, it's on his right wrist, which would imply that he's probably left handed.

He might also be a sex addict, which, coupled with the left-handedness, might explain the overgrown biceps on the left arm. </my $0.02>

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

I'm left handed and I wear my watch on the left wrist.

That's when I'm not carrying my steampunk-tastic clockwork skeleton pocket watch anyway.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

chrth

Postby chrth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

sjorford wrote:Reminds me of a Seinfeld line:
Wouldn't it be great if you found out you were adopted? Then your parents might just be really, really, really good friends.

Beat me to it, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the comic.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

I think he's mainly making fun of the uselessness of the genetic testing done by places like 23andMe.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:

I think he's mainly making fun of the uselessness of the genetic testing done by places like 23andMe.

"Good news. You have DNA."
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

"Good news, you have at least one X chromosome".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

aardarf

Postby aardarf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

"listen, I know this is hard for you."

No one?

ahem.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

prosfilaes

Postby prosfilaes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

I have it on good authority I was conceived at a friend's Christmas Eve party.

OMGLOLZORS

Postby OMGLOLZORS » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

It's funnier if you imagine he wants to be alone so he can masturbate.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Afakaz wrote:Well, if the bump on his wrist IS a watch, it's on his right wrist, which would imply that he's probably left handed.

He might also be a sex addict, which, coupled with the left-handedness, might explain the overgrown biceps on the left arm. </my $0.02>

SlyReaper wrote:I'm left handed and I wear my watch on the left wrist.

That's when I'm not carrying my steampunk-tastic clockwork skeleton pocket watch anyway.

I'm right handed, and I wear my watch on my right hand. People think it's inconceivable that a right handed person would wear a watch on his right hand (if they notice at all, which is rare). Is it sad that I registered just to post this?

Skeinchug

Re: 830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby Skeinchug » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

Mazuku wrote:You think your parnets having sex is scary, well guess what :?: Your grandparents also had sex and they may even be having sex RIGHT NOW... disturbing isn't it :?:

My grandparents are dead, you bastard!

josepheh

Postby josepheh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

Spring Break for me.

Sharkie

Postby Sharkie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:People still wear watches? Last time I saw a watch was on an 8 year old kid. Maybe my Latin teacher wore one too...he's a pretty classy guy. But man, everyone uses cellphones now a days.

Which is kinda sad. I like wearing a watch. But I would feel like a dork wearing one.

I wear a wristwatch everyday. Sometimes people ask me what time it is because they're too lazy to dig their cellphone out of their purse/pocket.

Wristwatches are especially convenient if you're doing something that gets your hands dirty and you don't want to handle your cellphone. They also make checking the time more discreet. =]

Asfedf

Postby Asfedf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Mirkwood wrote:
distractedSofty wrote:Everyone likes sex

*Ahem* No, not everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://www.asexuality.org to avoid making that mistake again.

I can't believe you signed up just to post that, it annoyed me so much that I've signed up to berate you.

Thorbard9

Postby Thorbard9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Sharkie wrote:I wear a wristwatch everyday. Sometimes people ask me what time it is because they're too lazy to dig their cellphone out of their purse/pocket.

Wristwatches are especially convenient if you're doing something that gets your hands dirty and you don't want to handle your cellphone. They also make checking the time more discreet. =]

I like Wristwatches too. Particularly ones with hands, even though when I was little I could never quite get the time right on a clock or watch with hands.

Actually I'd like to collect watches. I currently have a 'working' watch and a 'smart' watch which I alternate between depending what I'm actually doing.

AlejoHausner

Postby AlejoHausner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

Sex is inherited.

(drum roll)

I you have it, then your parents must have had it too.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:And no one said it's wrong. Just..icky.

's right.

And even the president farts. Gross.

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'm left handed and I wear my watch on the left wrist.

What a coincidence, I'm right handed and I wear (wore) my watch on my _right_ wrist.

really good comic btw.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 am UTC

Damnit. I had such high hopes for Randall after his tentative successes of 828 and 829... It's such a shame he had to go and write one this terrible :(. The punchline is "your parents had sex"? REALLY Randall?

This from the supposedly 'smartest webcomic'. Just... wow.

Black_Hat_Girl

Postby Black_Hat_Girl » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:

iwanttobelieve wrote:I believe the whole "illness" break was a ruse. Randall needed a break for new comic ideas, and was too proud to admit it.

But Writer's Block is a serious medical condition :!:

You think your parents having sex is scary, well guess what :?: Your grandparents also had sex and they may even be having sex RIGHT NOW... disturbing isn't it :?:

Icalasari wrote:

"That IS disturbing, considering both my grandfathers are dead"

That gives a WHOLE new meaning to feeling "stiff" now doesn't it?

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 am UTC

AlejoHausner wrote:Sex is inherited.

(drum roll)

Artificial insemination and in-vitro fertilization disagree with you.

And add another tick in the column for "people who wear their watches on their dominant hand"(right, by the way - it was only natural).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Mirkwood wrote:

*Ahem* No, not everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://www.asexuality.org to avoid making that mistake again.

*Ahem* Yes, everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/everyone to avoid making that mistake again.

Spoiler:
For the lazy:

Usage notes
This can be used loosely to mean "the majority of people".

I was not trying to be exclusionary of any group, but you know well what I meant.

zAlbee

Postby zAlbee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Funniest comic I've read in weeks. :D

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 am UTC

On the whole watch thing....

I wear a watch, and in fact I feel weird if I'm not wearing one. It's so much more convenient than digging out my phone from whatever pocket or bag I happen to have it in.

I wear it on the right, simply because that feels like the natural place to put it. (Am right-handed, by the way.) I specifically remember one instance when I was, oh, maybe eight, and I had just gotten a watch and put it on my right wrist, my dad told me that 'most people wear watches on the left.' His reason for this was, I believe, that if one were holding a drink or something in one's hand and turned one's arm to look at said watch, then one would spill whatever it was one was holding, so it was safer to wear it on the left. (The assumption being that people tend to hold things with their dominant hand, which I guess is fair.) He may have had other reasons, but this was the one he told me.

I thought this was silly, and have worn it on the right ever since.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 am UTC

from canada wrote:Really? This has to be the most fuckin' boringest comic ever. There's nothing there. LOL ZOMG GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT IN ORDER FOR YOU TO BE BORN YOUR PARENTS HAD TO HAVE SEX (sometimes) FUCKING CRAZY BULLSHIT IS THAT!

Actually, Randall put it in a more humorous way. Not so much the point of "you.born=true implies parent.sex exists", but the funny point might that the most disturbing thing that the genetic tester was able to come up with was that the patient's parents had sex. It would have been boring if they came back with "Your genetic tests show you have genetic disease X."

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:16 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:Distaste for regarding one's parents in a sexual manner would be selected for evolutionarily, given that inbreeding tends to cause genetic defects.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Evolutionary psychology is a crazy thing sometimes.

I think I read somewhere about an interesting boundary of evolutionary psychology where the anti-inbreeding instinct is involved. Apparently, one is commonly attracted to tribe mates or common ethnic groups (i.e., you are attracted to someone of the opposite sex who is nearby and like you). This has an evolutionary advantage when your lifetime is spent in a ten mile radius - if you don't like anyone in that circle, you're screwed. (Actually, NOT screwed, but I could not avoid the pun.) To reproduce, your preferences need to match your available options. Now, as we all know, multiple generations of cousins marrying cousins leads to blue blood and other genetic defects, so while there is an instinct for you to be attracted to someone like you and near you, there needs to be something instinctual that pushes you away from mating with someone who really, really looks like you and is really, really nearby, because that is your brother or sister. It turns out that, if two kids grow up in the same household at an early age, they get that "yuck" feeling about having sex with each other, and that is true even if they are not actually blood relatives. Unless, of course, you are Woody Allen.

So, evolutionary psychology is sane, not crazy, just perhaps sometimes convoluted.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:19 am UTC

hatten wrote:What a coincidence, I'm right handed and I wear (wore) my watch on my _right_ wrist.

I switch sides with the watch when one side gets too sweaty, but then I have to search to find the watch. Still, more subtle than pulling out the cell phone and opening it.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:40 am UTC

DavidRoss wrote:So, evolutionary psychology is sane, not crazy, just perhaps sometimes convoluted.

That is, in fact, exactly what I was saying (Can't anyone in this thread understand hyperbole? :)). It is crazy in the sense that the birthday paradox is a paradox, that is, not at all.

Edit: AND after explaining that, I now have a wierd Alanis/Gilbert & Sullivan mashup stuck in my head.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Anubis wrote:I feel like I've seen this joke somewhere before, but I don't know where. Maybe it's just some kind of massive deja vu effect.

I wouldn't be surprised. Christopher Columbus used to make "Your parents have sex too!" jokes on his trips. THERE IS HISTORICAL EVIDENCE THAT PROVES THIS.

Oh, and Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal also visited this theme several times and did it way better. Basically, Randall adds nothing to the joke. In fact, he subtracts: he removes anything that could make the joke entertaining and leaves just the bare bones of it, with a boring preamble of SCIENCE!!!.

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Worst comic ever - at least until the hyperbole police come and get me.

I have news for you, not only did your parents have sex:
- Your parents are STILL having sex!
- So are your aunts and uncles.
- So are your grandparents.

(Assuming all these relatives are still alive. If not, ew.)

What the hell do you think erectile dysfunction drugs are for?

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

It's a known fact that most if not all human beings have sex.

Perhaps he would be shocked that he also has sex.

Gaëlounet

Postby Gaëlounet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

The idea my parents had sex at any point is too unbearable.
I am therefore either the product of human parthenogenesis or the son of God.
Being a boy, the latter is more likely.
My parents having sex... Tsk, no, really. Impossible.

Need to stop thinking about the remote possibility now.

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Many older men sexually satisfied in 70s, 80s, even 90s
Researchers surveyed about 2,800 men in Australia, ages 75 to 95, and found a third of them had at least one sexual encounter with a partner in the last year. 56 percent of those men reported satisfying sex lives. Sex was considered to be a "somewhat important" part of life for 48 percent of the respondents, including men ages 90 to 95.

"Sexuality is an innate component of our make-up as human beings," says Michael Reece, Director of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Indiana University, who was not affiliated with the study. "We're sexual beings from birth until death."
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/06/many-older-men-sexually-satisfied-in-70s-80s-even-90s/

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

raj.k wrote:There's 23 pairs in gametes (sex cells) and 46 in somatic cells (everything else).

At first, I thought this was a reference to 1984, where it was severely frowned upon for people to have sex, and artsem (artificial semination in Newspeak) was prevalent instead. It was a lot funnier when I thought that. Alt text was pretty good, however.

Max2009 wrote:What are those bumps on his arms? I can maybe believe that the one near his hand is a watch, but since when do Randall's people wear watches? And what is that one up by his shoulder? A blood pressure cuff? He lifted weights with one arm? A brain slug making is way to his head?

Interesting. It may just be Randall's style of roughly drawn stickmen, but it seems the bumps are in the same place on every tile.

Not so: the 23 pairs (total 46) is in somatic cells; the 23 (single) chromosomes are in gametes. Except when splitting, when for a brief time the cell has 23 double pairs, or 92 chromosomes.

AlejoHausner wrote:Sex is inherited.

(drum roll)

I thought that too.

If your parents are childless, there is a very good chance you will have no children also.

Also--the thought of my parents having sex is kinda weird, since my mom is dead, and cremated. Even more so for my grandparents. Still, the thought is not that disturbing--as long as I'm not involved and don't have to watch.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:If your parents are childless, there is a very good chance you will have no children also.

That just blew my mind, man. How good are the chances of your parents having had sex if you are your own grandfather, though? And does that mean that the thought of you having sex would freak yourself out?

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 am UTC

Mazuku wrote:
phlip wrote:
Uninfinity wrote:<i>Several</i> chromosomes? I guess I'm totally wrong here, but shouldn't he only have a few?

26 pairs... there's definitely room there to check some of them and refer to it as "several"...

I thought humans only had 23 pairs of chromosomes, barring mutations and other abnormalities.

Oh okay, nvm. I was thinking everyone only had like two or three chromosomes. Shows how much I know.

NixEOne

Postby NixEOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
Mirkwood wrote:

*Ahem* Yes, everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/everyone to avoid making that mistake again.

Spoiler:
For the lazy:

Usage notes
This can be used loosely to mean "the majority of people".

I was not trying to be exclusionary of any group, but you know well what I meant.

I nearly enjoyed this whole debate more then the comic....

On the watch issue, I'm the annoying person at work who is always asking you the time because they forgot to wear their watch...ahem.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:18 am UTC

bmonk wrote:If your parents are childless, there is a very good chance you will have no children also.

If your parents are childless then it can be logically proven that you will have no children.

Also it can be logically proven that you WILL have children.

And that two + pie = bananas.

All of the above, and many other things, can also be proven from your spouse being unmarried.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”