0833: "Convincing"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Q_<

Re: 0833: "Convincing"

Postby Q_< » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Am I the only person who thought the axes were unambiguously implied (x axis is time with the units being obvious from context to the guy, Y axis is unit-less happiness/relationship quality), the data collection was merely a qualitative expression of personal opinion, the graph was drawn for an informal purpose, and the guy was just trying to save face?

Now if you've got a complex 'An Abundance of Katherines'-esque system going, I can see why further explanation might be required. But this one is hard to misinterpret.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:54 am UTC

Q_< wrote:Am I the only person who thought the axes were unambiguously implied (x axis is time with the units being obvious from context to the guy, Y axis is unit-less happiness/relationship quality), the data collection was merely a qualitative expression of personal opinion, the graph was drawn for an informal purpose, and the guy was just trying to save face?

But even then, there are so many questions! Is the y-axis a log scale or a linear scale? Does this represent a differentiable y(x) function? What is the best-fit line for this data? What are the margins of error/standard deviations for the y-values? Error bars would really be helpful. Is the graph truncated....if so, by what quantity? Assuming that the x-axis is time measured in months, is the y(3) value an outlier? What linear combination of periodic trigonometric functions could be used to model this curve? Assuming that the y-axis is happiness with the relationship, what are long-term trends for the girl's life-happiness baseline? It's meaningless to start the x-axis before the relationship started unless another long-term data set can be added for comparison.

Embrace the alt-text, David. Embrace it.

kcr

Postby kcr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Maybe she left the axes unlabeled ON PURPOSE because she knew it would get him to agree to ending things.

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Here is a pie chart, thou I am not sure how useful it is...

Now THAT'S how you label a chart.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:36 am UTC

Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Image

Sir, you are my math/science hero forever.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”