0845: "Modern History"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ddxxdd

0845: "Modern History"

Postby ddxxdd » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Alt text: "During the week, I research my character by living in his house and raising his children."

I hope he re-enacted all of the soldier's combat training, as well.
I'm waiting for someone to say something worth sigging...

edbdqt

Re: 0845: "Modern History"

Postby edbdqt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:13 am UTC

no "and having sex with his wife" in the Alt text? Seems only logical.

solarion

Postby solarion » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Okay, I liked this, but then the alt-text made me go :?

Dasafrak

Postby Dasafrak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 am UTC

Credit to Ravenzomg

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Is this Legalised Stalking?
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 am UTC

If the guy on the right is playing the role of the guy on the left, then who is going to play the role of the guy on the right?

If that even makes sense.

WizenedEE

Postby WizenedEE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:06 am UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:If the guy on the right is playing the role of the guy on the left, then who is going to play the role of the guy on the right?

I don't think he's part of the "war" so nobody needs to reenact him.

I agree with solarion.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:08 am UTC

I like the equipment on the reenactor. The gun looks plastic, the pack looks like it's been drawn on and the stuff on the helmet glued on. Lots of nice subtlety here.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 am UTC

solarion wrote:Okay, I liked this, but then the alt-text made me go :?

Oh, please. The alt text is where he gets a chance to put the knife in. It's meant to make you a little uncomfortable. That's the point.

If comedy doesn't cut a little, you're probably not learning anything from it - it's a waste of your time.

rattusprat

Postby rattusprat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:26 am UTC

WizenedEE wrote:
Scuttlemutt wrote:If the guy on the right is playing the role of the guy on the left, then who is going to play the role of the guy on the right?

I don't think he's part of the "war" so nobody needs to reenact him.

Otherwise you would end up with a whole "Synecdoche, New York" situation.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:31 am UTC

Equipment for reenacting the reenactor:

Baseball cap
Burlap sack
Banana
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 am UTC

Why does xkcd.com still link to xkcd.com/844 and why does the "Next" button not bring me to xkcd.com/845 ?

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 am UTC

Someone watched Tropic Thunder or Rain of Madness recently?
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

ron_mega

Postby ron_mega » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 am UTC

Hey, they are both left-handed!

Hamsvlekiss

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 am UTC

No, the first guy is left-handed. He's just imitating him :D

solarion

Postby solarion » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 am UTC

jpk wrote:

Oh, please. The alt text is where he gets a chance to put the knife in. It's meant to make you a little uncomfortable. That's the point.

If comedy doesn't cut a little, you're probably not learning anything from it - it's a waste of your time.

Well...hm.

I don't think I'd say the alt-text was a bad thing. I think I'd compare it to a Todd Solondz movie (which I will disclaimer I haven't seen; this is based on accounts of people's moviewatching I've picked up in passing); it's worthwhile but you sort of feel queasy and horrible.

ARandomDude

Postby ARandomDude » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 am UTC

Uncertainty Principle anyone?

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 am UTC

I had no idea what this was all about so the "alt" text just made me lol at the sheer randomness of it all.

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:44 am UTC

I liked this, a lot.

The concept of reenacting something that is currently happening is excellent!

Zucan

Postby Zucan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 am UTC

I had just read the following article over the weekend:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18973_why-modern-war-fps-games-all-look-same-5Bchart5D.html
It made the comic even funnier for me! :lol:

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 am UTC

This sounds like a dangerous hobby.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

Agreed. It made a funny joke very quickly unfunny. The stress and waiting military families do is not funny. Even if you don't agree with war, it's still doesn't belong at the butt of a joke alt-text or not.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:
Agreed. It made a funny joke very quickly unfunny. The stress and waiting military families do is not funny. Even if you don't agree with war, it's still doesn't belong at the butt of a joke alt-text or not.

The stalker concept is mildly funny but the alt-text takes it to a different place - one that isn't funny: "I'm in your kitchen, drinking your beer. I'm in your bed, fucking your wife. I'm in your daughter's room, setting up her webcam." Etc.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:

Everyone's offended by different things and that's uncontrollable and totally fine.

Great strip. I've always preferred my humor as controversial topics that get one's readership to pay fucking attention. Even if they offended me, too (which this one didn't happen to do).
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Hmm, at first the alt-text didn't bother me; I took it to mean the reenactor approached his character study like a method actor, except here instead of researching by living like the soldier would have lived, he was researching by living that person's actual life. (Another scenario of this would be someone who is portraying President Obama researching his role by living in the White House and establishing foreign policy.) I didn't get the ick factor of the alt-text till I came in here. I have to assume Randall wasn't attempting to mock, trivialize, or upset anyone with family members in the armed forces by saying the reenactor was replacing the soldier in his own home, but that is unfortunately a very easy interpretation to make.

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

I don't think that Randall tried to mock anyone (and I have great difficulties in grasping how that could be interpreted as such). The stalker thing I get... Though personally I interpreted it being a bit grim statement about nothing (not even the family) feeling as real, meaningful, etc. as they should... I'm sure you've all heard plenty of expressions about living someone else's life.

squig

Postby squig » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

People who are professional soldiers shouldn't have families, it's just selfish.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Halrandir wrote:Hmm, at first the alt-text didn't bother me; I took it to mean the reenactor approached his character study like a method actor, except here instead of researching by living like the soldier would have lived, he was researching by living that person's actual life. (Another scenario of this would be someone who is portraying President Obama researching his role by living in the White House and establishing foreign policy.) I didn't get the ick factor of the alt-text till I came in here. I have to assume Randall wasn't attempting to mock, trivialize, or upset anyone with family members in the armed forces by saying the reenactor was replacing the soldier in his own home, but that is unfortunately a very easy interpretation to make.

But to reenact the soldier he wouldn't be at the soldier's house, he'd be away at war. Either way it represents the same sadness but the way it's displayed here

michaelyw wrote:"I'm in your kitchen, drinking your beer. I'm in your bed, fucking your wife. I'm in your daughter's room, setting up her webcam." Etc.

it adds a tone of disrespect as well. As I said before: It's not the kind of thing you want to make a joke about.
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

clintp

Postby clintp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

I agree with the others.

Comic: Funny
Alt text: Tasteless and just not funny. Really. I like morbid, black, cruel humor. This wasn't any of those and just kinda pathetic.

Way to fuck it up.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

squig wrote:People who are professional soldiers shouldn't have families, it's just selfish.

That's a great idea, they'll defend your rights while you strip theirs away.

squig

Postby squig » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:
squig wrote:People who are professional soldiers shouldn't have families, it's just selfish.

That's a great idea, they'll defend your rights while you strip theirs away.

I didn't suggest they shouldn't have the right to have families.

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

I don't think Randall is making fun of/belittling/making cheap jokes at the expense of soldiers. Rather, he's making fun of reenactors - how bizarre is it that there are large numbers of people who dress in authentic uniforms, use authentic reproduction weapons, and "play soldier,' reenacting some of the world's most horrific battlefield encounters for entertainment or as a hobby? I understand fascination with the historical periods, etc., but I think that Randall's merely carrying the idea to the logical (and ridiculous) extreme - how would we feel about people pursuing the same pasttime in a contemporary setting?

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Postby Username4242 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

I'm thinking that many of you are far too easily offended.

TaCktiX29

Postby TaCktiX29 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

I registered to agree with the general consensus: the comic was funny and poked at people who take Call of Duty and such a bit too seriously. The alt-text went in a completely different, and very offensive direction. I am currently in the armed services, and while I don't have a family at present I have plenty of friends who do. Not being around your family for six+ months is hard, and one of the difficulties is the uncertainty of whether things will still work when the member gets back home. The alt-text speaks to that fear in an unintentionally cruel way.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

jpk wrote:If comedy doesn't cut a little, you're probably not learning anything from it - it's a waste of your time.

*drumroll*
And now it's time to...

What did we learn from xkcd today?

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

musicgeek wrote:I don't think Randall is making fun of/belittling/making cheap jokes at the expense of soldiers. Rather, he's making fun of reenactors - how bizarre is it that there are large numbers of people who dress in authentic uniforms, use authentic reproduction weapons, and "play soldier,' reenacting some of the world's most horrific battlefield encounters for entertainment or as a hobby? I understand fascination with the historical periods, etc., but I think that Randall's merely carrying the idea to the logical (and ridiculous) extreme - how would we feel about people pursuing the same pasttime in a contemporary setting?

My friends might be the exception, but they're both reenactors AND present day professional soldiers.

The technology available to the modern soldier is impressive. I'm not talking just about the gadgets, the weapons, and communications gear. I'm talking about Gore-tex. I'm talking about Thinsulate. For the few people I know who do reenacting, they do it to appreciate and understand what the WWII veterans went through using the original gear. It's a whole different experience.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Fuck you.
I think I might do this on my next op..
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

Also LOL U GUIS I don't get offended and that makes me COOL AND AWESOME and way better than you.

ravenzomg

Postby ravenzomg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

I like the concept behind the comic, but the dialogue seems unnecessarily long. "Will you please stop imitating everything I do" seems like a real shoe-in phrase to get the concept across, when the punchline that's it's "real-time" war reënactment clarifies it perfectly already. I still hope to see Randall take a cue from Kristian Nygård and others: Less is More in dialogue. =] The concept behind the alt-text is terrifying, but I won't touch it.

Odal

Postby Odal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

I thought it was funny. In fact the only part I laughed at was the alt text. I'm also in the military.

People in the military chose the life they're in when they decided to have a family and be in the military. It doesn't just happen. So there's no sympathy from me for people like this.

And Randall's just poking fun at a reality. If it bothers you maybe you shouldn't represent that reality. If you don't then you shouldn't be offended. Seriously... people just look for reasons to get upset.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”