0845: "Modern History"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

adi

Re: 0845: "Modern History"

Postby adi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

I actually saw the alt text as not just an "im in ur" joke or reenactor absurdity but also a funny and poignant way of pointing out that active duty military often need someone else to care for their kids "during the week," while they're off working. And while we've got so many service members deployed, all those families are missing someone - and might have kids being raised by whoever's available.

Respectful, uncomfortable, not sure. Tears to my eyes? Definitely. I felt the need to register to post that for some reason.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Also LOL U GUIS I don't get offended and that makes me COOL AND AWESOME and way better than you.

Yep. Glad you see it my way.

Analogy

Postby Analogy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Soldiers take a pay check to kill people. They can afford to be the butt of the occasional joke. I bet they also joke amongst themselves about the missus having a boyfriend.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Analogy wrote:Soldiers take a pay check to kill people. They can afford to be the butt of the occasional joke. I bet they also joke amongst themselves about the missus having a boyfriend.

Most of the time, soldiers aren't killing people. In fact, most of the personnel in any military aren't in combat roles. Get your facts straight, dude. You look completely fucking ignorant.

And yes, they do joke about porking their friends' wives' while they are away. When my dad was in Kuwait in the 90s, one officer in the squadron sent a video over with him in my living room and all the other pilots' wives hanging out around him. He was wearing a smoking jacket and had a fat cigar in his mouth. That is all I remember about it since I was 10 at the time.

As a military brat, I don't find the comic offensive, but see how it could be if read the wrong way.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

Damn, Randall, shoulda saved this strip for Veteran's Day!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/1 ... 82679.html

I come from a family with generations of military service. The adapability of military spouses is legendary. I suspect Randall meant no offense, but the opposite.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

michaelyw wrote:The stalker concept is mildly funny but the alt-text takes it to a different place - one that isn't funny: "I'm in your kitchen, drinking your beer. I'm in your bed, fucking your wife. I'm in your daughter's room, setting up her webcam." Etc.
What? No crack about enabling webcams remotely?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

squig

Postby squig » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Odal wrote:People in the military chose the life they're in when they decided to have a family and be in the military. It doesn't just happen. So there's no sympathy from me for people like this.

I'm with you.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:I like the equipment on the reenactor. The gun looks plastic
The details are a great touch, though I interpreted it as wood grain on the gun.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

Odal wrote:People in the military chose the life they're in when they decided to have a family and be in the military. It doesn't just happen. So there's no sympathy from me for people like this.

Not every militaries are all-volunteer.

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

"...and raising his children."

fucking creepy

pigslookfunny

Postby pigslookfunny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:54 am UTC

Wouldn't that make it just an enactment?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 am UTC

My Twist.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

riddler

Postby riddler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 am UTC

This comic doesn't trivialize warfare any more than ancient war reinactment does. It's all painful, whether it happened this year or 100 years ago. People shouldn't kill other people, and when governments tell their citizens to kill others, that government needs to be replaced.

vookaloop

Postby vookaloop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 am UTC

riddler wrote:This comic doesn't trivialize warfare any more than ancient war reinactment does. It's all painful, whether it happened this year or 100 years ago. People shouldn't kill other people, and when governments tell their citizens to kill others, that government needs to be replaced.

:lol: the government will be replaced if the state does not defend itself, replaced by an occupying force that is.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am UTC

riddler wrote:This comic doesn't trivialize warfare any more than ancient war reinactment does. It's all painful, whether it happened this year or 100 years ago. People shouldn't kill other people, and when governments tell their citizens to kill others, that government needs to be replaced.

If by kill you mean murder, then yes.

If by kill you mean take a life, regardless of why or how, then you must have a pretty naive worldview.

EDIT: Or perhaps you were talking about drafting/conscription? I'm generally against that unless the country is under *direct* threat or has been invaded. Personally I couldn't dodge a draft unless the actions of my country were so beyond disgusting that I'd rather be fighting against it than for it, simply because I couldn't send someone else's kid/spouse/parent to do a job I didn't want to do.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

SirGreg

Postby SirGreg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I'm currently away from my family for the military so I'm getting a kick out of these posts...

However, while I didn't find the alt text very funny because it was a little to close to home, I would die to defend his right to say it. It's not because true comedy has to "cut" to be progressive and anyone who gets offended is just a mindless sheep, its because it right.

FastLizard4
Location: Southern California, United States, Earth, Federation Sector 001

Postby FastLizard4 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 am UTC

On another note, could the reenactor be the guy from comic 53?
--FastLizard4 (wikipedia userpage|website)

Millumi

Postby Millumi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am UTC

People start to get confused 20+ years later when reenactors have to reenact the real-time war reenactors following soldiers.
Omnia vincit veritas.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

I like it. The alt-text is amusing. You guys are reading too much into this.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Analogy

Postby Analogy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:
Analogy wrote:Soldiers take a pay check to kill people. They can afford to be the butt of the occasional joke. I bet they also joke amongst themselves about the missus having a boyfriend.

Most of the time, soldiers aren't killing people. In fact, most of the personnel in any military aren't in combat roles. Get your facts straight, dude. You look completely fucking ignorant.

You're right, I should have said, "They take a pay check to kill people, or to support other people doing the killing..."

You want facts?
http://www.iraqbodycount.org

100,000 bodies and still going strong. Some of them weren't caused by soldiers.

Gage

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Am I the only person that thought that the person on the left (the one with the complete sentence) is the one doing the re-enactment? As if the guy to the right stopped to see the person finish his own sentence?

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

pigslookfunny wrote:Wouldn't that make it just an enactment?

I think there's at least a several second delay.

I saw the alt-text as a joke on the re-enactor more than a joke on the family. I guess that makes a huge difference.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Omegaham

Postby Omegaham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 am UTC

Registered to post thanks to this discussion.

Seriously, we joke about Jody all the time. It's a way of laughing at an unpleasant truth - that most military marriages and families end up failing. I don't really know if it's Randall's place to joke about it, but frankly any member of the military is going to shrug it off, chuckle uncomfortably, and move on to something else. Chill out. And, sadly, there are times when we will laugh about some poor idiot who married badly. One of the guys I knew married a girl who ditched him, moved to California, got herpes and pregnant, and has used legal tricks to keep him from divorcing her so his pay keeps going to her. From any objective perspective it's really sad, but we laugh at the absurdity of how badly his marriage has gone wrong.

Then again, we also joke about respawn points and killstreak rewards, (You mean that's NOT how it works? We don't drop five guys into the boonies of Afghanistan and give them remote control cars and Predator missiles once they kill enough people? Damn, they LIED to me) so we aren't exactly the most mature bunch of people...

Alienjoey

Postby Alienjoey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 am UTC

This seems to be a good alternative to having a draft. Better yet, there could be mandatory modern history reenactments. Then the size of the military would effectively be doubled if each member of the military had one person reenacting them, though I suppose there would be no reason that they couldn't have multiple people doing so...

(not to belittle the military, of course: they are some of the most courageous people on the planet for their duty, and I wish I had half the guts to do what they do)

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Omegaham wrote:Then again, we also joke about respawn points and killstreak rewards, (You mean that's NOT how it works? We don't drop five guys into the boonies of Afghanistan and give them remote control cars and Predator missiles once they kill enough people? Damn, they LIED to me) so we aren't exactly the most mature bunch of people...

Although another poster alluded to similar things, I loved this example of gallows humor. Every profession has their own version, but military is always some of the best(worst).

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

Analogy wrote:
RockoTDF wrote:

You're right, I should have said, "They take a pay check to kill people, or to support other people doing the killing..."

You want facts?
http://www.iraqbodycount.org

100,000 bodies and still going strong. Some of them weren't caused by soldiers.

There is a fine line between being against the Iraq war (which I am) and between painting soldiers and their support staff as murderers. I will not try to trivialize collateral damage by any stretch of the imagination, but the job of a soldier is not to cause as many deaths as possible, and to minimize civilian deaths. Killing is a massive part of war, but it isn't the purpose. It is a bit like saying that the job of a teacher is to write things on a chalkboard, or that police take a paycheck for putting people in handcuffs. I'm against this war too, but you aren't going to get anyone on your side when you clearly don't understand what the purpose of a military is, and because you paint those who fight as criminal.

If you are an American citizen (or a taxpayer in any coalition country) your tax dollars contributed to those deaths.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:33 am UTC

RockoTDF wrote:If you are an American citizen (or a taxpayer in any coalition country) your tax dollars contributed to those deaths.

Not voluntarily. I have to pay my taxes, or I am arrested. I unfortunately don't get a say in where that tax money goes.

sugarhyped wrote:
pigslookfunny wrote:Wouldn't that make it just an enactment?

I think there's at least a several second delay.

That reminds me of this Mitch Hedberg bit I saw recently. "One time, this guy handed me a picture of him, he said, 'Here's a picture of me when I was younger.' Every picture is of you when you were younger."
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:37 am UTC

mikekearn wrote:
RockoTDF wrote:If you are an American citizen (or a taxpayer in any coalition country) your tax dollars contributed to those deaths.

Not voluntarily. I have to pay my taxes, or I am arrested. I unfortunately don't get a say in where that tax money goes.

True, but if I signed up before the invasion of Iraq was even anywhere near being on the table and was sent, wouldn't I be in the same boat as you?

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:
mikekearn wrote:

True, but if I signed up before the invasion of Iraq was even anywhere near being on the table and was sent, wouldn't I be in the same boat as you?

I don't consider those anywhere near the same. I was born into this country, and cannot afford to leave. Anyone that signs up for military service, even in time of peace, knows full well that should war be declared, they could be sent off to fight.

Conscription or drafting is something different; were you drafted, I would say the situations were similar. If you join voluntarily, they are very different.

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

mikekearn wrote:
RockoTDF wrote:True, but if I signed up before the invasion of Iraq was even anywhere near being on the table and was sent, wouldn't I be in the same boat as you?

I don't consider those anywhere near the same. I was born into this country, and cannot afford to leave. Anyone that signs up for military service, even in time of peace, knows full well that should war be declared, they could be sent off to fight.

Conscription or drafting is something different; were you drafted, I would say the situations were similar. If you join voluntarily, they are very different.

I think it is rather sad that you consider joining voluntarily in peacetime a bad thing for a person to do. We can piss and moan about the wars, about the military-industrial complex, etc, but the fact remains that a nation of this size has to have a military.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:I think it is rather sad that you consider joining voluntarily in peacetime a bad thing for a person to do. We can piss and moan about the wars, about the military-industrial complex, etc, but the fact remains that a nation of this size has to have a military.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said it was a bad thing to join the military. I said I don't like how my tax dollars are spent, and you compared that to someone who joins the military not liking where they are sent.

My whole point is that I don't have a choice; someone that joins the military made that decision voluntarily. And I understand the need for having a military, but I dislike that this country then sends these men and women out to die in another country. I would much prefer if they stayed here, to defend this country when needed, not to fight wars in foreign lands.

Personally, I'm rather a fan of how Switzerland does things. While I hardly claim to know everything about ever country, from what I've researched, if I could make the choice of where I wanted to be born, that's where I would have chosen. They are strictly neutral, preferring to stay out of other people's business, which would have saved this country a lot of trouble. Additionally, while they don't have a large standing army, nearly every male citizen goes through a mandatory service in the military, receiving training and a weapon they keep after their service is done. This gives them a potentially huge militia, and serves as a very strong deterrent for any invading forces.

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

mikekearn wrote:Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said it was a bad thing to join the military. I said I don't like how my tax dollars are spent, and you compared that to someone who joins the military not liking where they are sent.

My bad, I thought you were the dude I was arguing with originally, who was saying things to the effect of military service = murder.

My whole point is that I don't have a choice; someone that joins the military made that decision voluntarily. And I understand the need for having a military, but I dislike that this country then sends these men and women out to die in another country. I would much prefer if they stayed here, to defend this country when needed, not to fight wars in foreign lands.

Personally, I'm rather a fan of how Switzerland does things. While I hardly claim to know everything about ever country, from what I've researched, if I could make the choice of where I wanted to be born, that's where I would have chosen. They are strictly neutral, preferring to stay out of other people's business, which would have saved this country a lot of trouble. Additionally, while they don't have a large standing army, nearly every male citizen goes through a mandatory service in the military, receiving training and a weapon they keep after their service is done. This gives them a potentially huge militia, and serves as a very strong deterrent for any invading forces.

Fair enough, I agree that the US could do with some isolationism and less imperialism. However, keep in mind that a Swiss policy would basically mean that we would sit by while other countries wreak havoc, case in point was the lack of Swiss involvement in WW2.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Actually, the Swiss were forced to defend themselves against German attack. They did shoot down a number of German planes that got too close to their controller airspace, after fair warning that everyone should leave them alone. Due to luck and circumstance, no full scale invasion was ever attempted by Nazi forces, but there were invasions planned. Had they tried, I fully believe the Swiss would have managed to hold them off effectively, or through attrition, make the costs of the attack exceedingly high.

And whether or not it is their responsibility to step in when one country decides to invade another is a different matter entirely. My personal view is that unless you are allies with that country, it is not your responsibility to condemn your citizens to death in their defense. As the US was in fact allied with several countries in the World Wars, I understand our involvement. Our current wars are nothing like that; in point of fact, we aren't even officially at war.

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 am UTC

Actually, the US only got involved officially with WW2 because Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, which only after Roosevelt spent some time egging them on after the Nazis refused to take bait composed of outright acts of war(three German ships disappeared steaming home from Mexico between Florida and Cuba - take a wild guess who took them out).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Very true, that's when war was officially declared, but we were supporting Allied countries well before that point.

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

While we are talking about the finer points of WW2:

Am I the only one that thinks it is strange that most history books start WW2 in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland, and end it with V-J day, when in fact the Japanese had been ravaging Asia since well before 1939?

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Nobody cares about Asia. Why do you think Roosevelt didn't put the brunt of American forces in the Pacific?

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:Nobody cares about Asia. Why do you think Roosevelt didn't put the brunt of American forces in the Pacific?

True. However, it isn't like Europeans count the invasion of Czechoslovakia or Austria as the start of the war. Weren't the Austrians glad when the Nazis rolled in?

I guess the 1939-1945 timeline is used because it was the period of hostilities between the major powers in the war.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 am UTC

RockoTDF wrote:Am I the only one that thinks it is strange that most history books start WW2 in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland, and end it with V-J day, when in fact the Japanese had been ravaging Asia since well before 1939?
The key part is the first W in the acronym.
RockoTDF wrote:True. However, it isn't like Europeans count the invasion of Czechoslovakia or Austria as the start of the war. Weren't the Austrians glad when the Nazis rolled in?
This is because it was an invasion, not a declaration of war. The invasion of Poland wasn't a declaration of war, either. It was only when Britain and her Empire declared war on Nazi Germany, as a result of the Polish invasion, did it, in fact, become a war.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”