0846: "Dental Nerve"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Technical Ben

Re: 0846: "Dental Nerve"

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 am UTC

Mekmek wrote:
Lasher wrote:I don't get it. Who is Ke$ha and what's the song you are talking about?

existentialpanda wrote:I cannot even begin to express how much I loathe that song.

You need to watch more Simpsons or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmgktqBNU4
Because this version is actually bearable.

The Simpsons now dead in my mind. Thanks for ruining a childhood cartoon. :(
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 am UTC

junes wrote:but to hear that song and think about dental hygiene is more original than you'll ever be.

Au contraire, I heard the song and thought of wolverines ripping her to shreds. That's just as, if not far more original than thinking of dental hygiene. Moreso because she doesn't even mention wolverines! Unless "Tonight, I'mma fight/'til I see the sunlight" references man's epic struggle with small, bear-like creatures. Also "'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back" could instil a sense of foreboding. Cunning literary technique there, Ke¥ha, if that is your real name. I could write a whole essay on witnessing Ke¢ha being ripped apart by hungry carnivores! (and to complete a smooth link:

--wait for it--

she could only be recognised by her dental records, which were in extremely poor state due to her predilection for using cheap bourbon as an aid to oral hygiene)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

PeteSF

Postby PeteSF » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am UTC

The song may be bad, but so is the point of the comic.
Brushing your teeth with whiskey will get them pretty much as clean as brushing with toothpaste.

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am UTC

I have to admit I'd never heard of her either. Which, I suppose, is even more insulting than dissing her.

Apropos of which:
http://questionablecontent.net/indietit ... sleep.html

Sarokrae

Postby Sarokrae » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 am UTC

I don't get all the Ke$ha hate out here. People do realise she's being entirely ironic?

ChrisTheNerd

Postby ChrisTheNerd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 am UTC

get
Spoiler:
this song
out of my head, Randall

solacelost

Postby solacelost » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:50 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesha

1500 on her SAT. Supposedly. I'm actually pretty sure she's retarded. I don't care if the song's a joke, you wrote it. People sing it and they think you mean it because they're retarded. Why would she do this to us?!?
Do you have the Time?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 am UTC

10nitro wrote:I don't read xkcdsucks

FTFY, because some of the shit you said would be pretty silly if you do.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 am UTC

When you type
brush teeth
into Google.de it suggests
brush teeth with jack.
It is the only suggestion.
Was this already so yesterday?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

vookaloop

Postby vookaloop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

I didn't really get the music reference, I honestly thought the comic was directed at black people. I guess it makes more sense.

10nitro wrote:So... I've started coming to the fora sometimes, just to read what SirMustapha has found to complain about. At first, I fount him annoying. But, slowly, when I'd think about coming to the fora after reading a comic, I'd begin to think ``I wonder what SirMustapha will say.'' Sometimes I'd think ``This comic wasn't particularly good, but there wasn't anything that I thought was particularly bad, I wonder what he'll pick on''. Or ``There's no way he'll find something to complain about. It's like the old ones, that he liked*'' (of course, he complained that it was just a redo of a prior comic). Sometimes, I'll come here, read his comment, and think to myself ``Oh, he picked the obvious criticism :(''. (relatedly, I miss sje46's rants). Sometimes, (rarely) I enjoy SirMustapha's posts just as entertaining as the comic itself. I imagine some people have a similar reaction to xkcd sucks, but to me it just sounds whiny, while he makes up absurd accusations that Randall stalks Megan to this day, and posts personal insults to Randall.

Indeed. I often skip the rest and just read the SirMustapha post.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Sarokrae wrote:I don't get all the Ke$ha hate out here. People do realise she's being entirely ironic?
No.
She isn't.

trvsdrlng

Postby trvsdrlng » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Has no one really pointed out the obvious?

It's fine to brush your teeth with a bottle of Jack and go out clubbin' all night -- just brush your teeth with toothpaste AFTERWARDS. Not before, afterwards. To get rid of the sugary gunk that's accumulated throughout your night of drinking and... doing other things with your mouth. At least if you're Ke$ha.

And yes, I signed on for the first time in over a year to make this post.
My GPS has a fetishistic relationship with OK State Highway 9.

LafinJack wrote:Never ever let basic physics get in the way of your dreams.

The Hyphenator wrote:Why is it that every time I visit this thread, I'm not wearing pants?

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

The alt text really makes it.

@Felstaff- I'm pretty sure wolverines are closer to badgers/weasels than bears.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:So... I've started coming to the fora sometimes, just to read what SirMustapha has found to complain about. At first, I fount him annoying. But, slowly, when I'd think about coming to the fora after reading a comic, I'd begin to think ``I wonder what SirMustapha will say.'' Sometimes I'd think ``This comic wasn't particularly good, but there wasn't anything that I thought was particularly bad, I wonder what he'll pick on''. Or ``There's no way he'll find something to complain about. It's like the old ones, that he liked*'' (of course, he complained that it was just a redo of a prior comic). Sometimes, I'll come here, read his comment, and think to myself ``Oh, he picked the obvious criticism :(''. (relatedly, I miss sje46's rants). Sometimes, (rarely) I enjoy SirMustapha's posts just as entertaining as the comic itself. I imagine some people have a similar reaction to xkcd sucks, but to me it just sounds whiny, while he makes up absurd accusations that Randall stalks Megan to this day, and posts personal insults to Randall.

* Most detractors of xkcd say that it didn't use to be bad, but that it's gone downhill, and they used to enjoy it. I feel like there's a lot of ``the good old days'' syndrome going on here. So, I'm curious, exactly what xkcd comics do SirMustapha and xkcd sucks like?

While it feels weird talking about him when he will most likely be along soon to post on this thread too, I agree with you. I used to just get angry about his posts, until I started to see that some of them were well-reasoned and legitimate. I often end up agreeing with him now, at least partially, but not always.

On the other hand, xkcdsucks is childish junk, pointless attention-hungry whining that leaps to unreasonable conclusions and basically complains about nothing or things that don't even make sense. The same is true of xkcdexplained, which I could swear was written by the same people, and xkcdexplainedexplained, which is exactly what it sounds like but really ought to be called "xkcdexplainedelaborated."

EDIT: Oh, and Ke$ha's music is awful. And her use of that dollar sign only accentuates this. She, like many of today's musicians and their fans, represents what I hate about certain parts of society today.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:@Felstaff- I'm pretty sure wolverines are closer to badgers/weasels than bears.

Badgers are just aspiring bears.

Anyway, my uncle's pretty bear-like, although I'm sure he's closer to homo sapiens than bears. What, er, is your point?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

mmcmonster

Postby mmcmonster » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Frankly, I thought the comic was going to be about how he feels whenever he sees her name with a string sign ($) in the middle of it. Because that's how her name makes me feel.

Randall, get INTO my head!

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

vookaloop wrote:I didn't really get the music reference, I honestly thought the comic was directed at black people. I guess it makes more sense.

Wow, that's some impressive casual racism there. Are you under the impression that black people don't brush their teeth, or is that some strange cultural stereotype where you live? Now if you had said you thought it was directed at English people, i could understand...

Also, badgers are awesome.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Taot

Postby Taot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

When did XKCD take a turn into Horror comics? This was terrifying.
Though, I've had root canal done which might explain why I am under the table now. Those of you lucky ones that have not, it involves among other things checking where there is living nerve tissue in the canal with a needle-thingy to determine how much filling is required.

If you're extra lucky, you get sent home at Friday afternoon with 200 mg of Ibuprofen to wait for the local anesthesia to end. Does it numb the pain of irritated nerves? Nope.

Oh well, I hope I managed to share the horror a bit. Have a good day.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Who is this presumed alcoholic Randall refers to who has the nerve to call himself a name with an arbitrary insertion of the monetary symbol for a rather devalued backwater currency?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

junes wrote:I know you guys are bashing this comic for being to late seeing as how that song isn't charting anymore and all, but to hear that song and think about dental hygiene is more original than you'll ever be. Also I love how you actually have to read the comic to the end to figure out why this is about Ke$ha, that moment when I went from being confused to understanding the joke made my laughter ever much more intense!

I could figure out the punchline from panel two. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

Also, pulling the "You couldn't do better, therefore it's good enough" line? Dude, I'm not going to argue whether this strip is good or not, because I'm not in the mood, but know this. I couldn't make a better movie than Biodome either, but that doesn't make Biodome a good movie.

EDIT: Come to think of it, your exact words — "to hear that song and think about dental hygiene is more original than you'll ever be" — make it sound like you have pretty little faith in our raw intelligence, much less creativity. Who doesn't hear that song and cringe at the dental implications? Honestly? And as for being "more creative," here's the stupid Stephen Wright-ism my mind whipped up when I first heard that song:

Does P. Diddy ever wake up in the morning feeling like Ke$ha?

Granted, it works better out of context.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Vehemence

Postby Vehemence » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

ARandomDude wrote:Bad format, Peter.

Fixed.

changeon

Postby changeon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Taot wrote:When did XKCD take a turn into Horror comics? This was terrifying.
Though, I've had root canal done which might explain why I am under the table now. Those of you lucky ones that have not, it involves among other things checking where there is living nerve tissue in the canal with a needle-thingy to determine how much filling is required.

If you're extra lucky, you get sent home at Friday afternoon with 200 mg of Ibuprofen to wait for the local anesthesia to end. Does it numb the pain of irritated nerves? Nope.

Oh well, I hope I managed to share the horror a bit. Have a good day.

I agree the comic was terrifying. However, why do you say that a root canal is bad? I have had two to relieve abscesses. The procedure and its aftermath were nothing -- at least in comparison to grinding, searing hell of the abscess.

Good luck with the ibuprofen. Hope you feel better soon.

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Doctor Kumquat wrote:TiK ToK (the crappy parodied song in the comic) is not in a new edition of Guitar Hero (to my knowledge), but it IS in one of the new dance games... I think it's Just Dance 2 for the Wii. In related news, watching 6 year old girls dancing along to it and Benny Benassi in tech stores is rather profoundly creepy.

Yes, Just Dance 2. It's even more disturbing when you hear the lyrics of the song your 9 year old son is dancing to. My niece got the game for Christmas, our boys enjoyed dancing with it so much we were thinking of getting it, then we started listening to the lyrics. Yuck. I think "Monster Mash" was the only song that wasn't objectionable on it. Stupid music industry! :evil:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

DennyMo wrote:It's even more disturbing when you hear the lyrics of the song your 9 year old son is dancing to. My niece got the game for Christmas, our boys enjoyed dancing with it so much we were thinking of getting it, then we started listening to the lyrics. Yuck. I think "Monster Mash" was the only song that wasn't objectionable on it. Stupid music industry! :evil:

Solution: Live in non-English-speaking country. There will still be mostly English-language music, but at least your kids won't understand the lyrics.

Taot

Postby Taot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

changeon wrote:
I agree the comic was terrifying. However, why do you say that a root canal is bad? I have had two to relieve abscesses. The procedure and its aftermath were nothing -- at least in comparison to grinding, searing hell of the abscess.

Good luck with the ibuprofen. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for the kind words. Luckily that was 4-5 years ago. It was bad for me, though, now that I think of it, I think the dentist must have been kinda scarcely using local anesthesia. I remember all the nerve pain - which is a form of pain I am not used to, thus harder block out -, actually, she did ask me at some point if I want more, but at that point I didn't think anything she did could hurt more than had already hurt.

The nerves were so agitated from the the probing and all, that it was about 3 days of pain, of which eating Ibuprofen like candy helped to tone down it into level where I could sleep. Either our procedures differ somehow or I feel kinda cheated. Contra to your experience, I didn't feel anything before, the tooth was just dead and the tissue in the canal, well, one gets the picture.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:I imagine some people have a similar reaction to xkcd sucks, but to me it just sounds whiny, while he makes up absurd accusations that Randall stalks Megan to this day, and posts personal insults to Randall.

You should keep in mind that the author of the blog has changed now. The old one, Carl, usually tried to make balanced and coherent criticism, but he grew tired of it, as the comics presented the same problems over and over again, and it was more or less a general consensus that the best part of it all is the discussion in the comments thread. So the current owner just uses the posts to make fun of Randall, not terribly unlike how Randall makes fun of the things he doesn't like or doesn't understand. So yeah, the fact that there is no constructive criticism over there is intentional. And why! if most of the fans won't read constructive criticism when it's posted here, why would they read it there?

10nitro wrote:I can't think right now whether this came from SirMustapha or xkcd sucks, but I actually like the pictoblog idea. I mean, I don't want him to stop doing xkcd, and I don't think doing them at the same time would work out. But if that blog existed, I would read it.

That idea was raised on the blog a long time ago, and I'm an absolute supporter of it. If Randall cared about the quality of his work, he would have showed signs of considering that many months ago; but since he only cares about the popularity, about the god-like status of the comic, he marches on.

10nitro wrote:* Most detractors of xkcd say that it didn't use to be bad, but that it's gone downhill, and they used to enjoy it. I feel like there's a lot of ``the good old days'' syndrome going on here. So, I'm curious, exactly what xkcd comics do SirMustapha and xkcd sucks like?

I think xkcd has always been very hit-and-miss, but in his first few hundred comics, Randall seemed to have a larger stock of ideas and didn't have that urging necessity to please and pander; his comics felt a lot less forced and contrived. And there is another thing: Randall puts too much of himself into his comics. Sometimes it reads as "this is how awesome I wish my life actually was", instead of just a collection of funny, silly jokes. When Randall did those funny obsessive comics on ball pits, raptors, kites, for a long time I thought that they were just that: jokes. I was horrified, however, when I learnt that those were actually things from Randall's life that he stuck on the comics. So, now, xkcd seems largely like a great fanfiction of Randall's own life. That feelings spoils many of the old comics that I used to like.

lly

Postby lly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

So what is the point of this comic? Let's see what Kesha has had to say for herself about this topic:

Everyone's really offended by that. But come on, brushing your teeth with Jack Daniel's: what girl does that? People are like, 'Do you really advocate brushing your teeth with bourbon?' I'm like, 'Yes, actually, I do, every day, for everybody. Especially eight year olds.' I mean, what are you talking about? Of course I don't. Come on.

(Times Online's interview of her)

This comic just seems like a soapbox for Randall to say how he doesn't like her music in a completely pointless way.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

lly wrote:This comic just seems like a soapbox for Randall to say how he doesn't like her music in a completely pointless way.

That's one possibility. The other is that the joke is so silly, so pointless and so uneffective because Randall really couldn't think of anything better.

There's no humour, no wit, no cleverness, nothing. I really fail to see how this comic could be entertaining in any way.

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

dtech wrote:I lol'led at this comic.

To be fair, wouldn't the 40% of jack at least prevent an infection?... (mouthwash has alcohol as a main ingrediënt. Of course, there isn't any sugar in mouthwash)

Well, mouthwash is 'denatured' alcohol, where 'denatured' means 'poisoned'. Might be mildly better off healthwise with the Jack.

Before this era of candy flavoured poison in a tube, you'd have the options of rinsing with hard liqour, brushing with bakingsoda (not the best long term for teeths), and brushing with sugar.

Yes, sugar, it kills bacteria when in sufficient amounts.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
lly wrote:There's no humour, no wit, no cleverness, nothing. I really fail to see how this comic could be entertaining in any way.

It's drawn with stick figures, and compared to many web comics this is actually a step up.

Aside from that it is clearly an attempt to be clever that fails but continues to be fringe references (which I find are the mainstay of his humour).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

dtech wrote:I lol'led at this comic.

To be fair, wouldn't the 40% of jack at least prevent an infection?... (mouthwash has alcohol as a main ingrediënt. Of course, there isn't any sugar in mouthwash)

PeteSF wrote:The song may be bad, but so is the point of the comic.
Brushing your teeth with whiskey will get them pretty much as clean as brushing with toothpaste.

So, has there ever been a study on this? My understanding is that according to the FDA the only toothpaste ingredient that actually does anything is fluoride. Frankly I don't believe that, but if true it would mean Jack works just as good as non-fluoride toothpaste.

brinhe

Postby brinhe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Ke$ha's name provides a bit of a quandary in terms of pronunciation. While assuming the dollar sign is intended to represent an 's' appears to be the most common interpretation, a few friends of mine prefer to go with "ke-cash-uh".

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

To call Ke$ha's lyrics inane would be an insult to inanity. Though I admit my first thought when I heard this song wasn't about dental hygiene. The first was "Wow, she sounds like Carol Channing", and the second was "Wait, Mick Jagger? Does she know what he looks like, or is she just really into dessicated corpses?"

lly

Postby lly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:It's drawn with stick figures, and compared to many web comics this is actually a step up.

First, is that an attempt to damn with faint praise? "Many webcomics" are beyond awful, I'm not sure saying that it is a "step up" from them (as in, only one) is saying much.

I also don't understand why "it's drawn with stick figures" is any sort of justification here. The artwork isn't being criticized, it's the text.

Aside from that it is clearly an attempt to be clever that fails but continues to be fringe references (which I find are the mainstay of his humour).

Sadly, simply making contextless references does not count as "humor." Especially if you add a grotesque fallacy to it.

jfriesne

Postby jfriesne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

augurey wrote:I've always considered the presence of nerves in teeth to be strong evidence against intelligent design.

I dunno, it seems like it could be God's way of getting you to the dentist sooner rather than later (even you hate going to the dentist).

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:It's drawn with stick figures, and compared to many web comics this is actually a step up.

Sad but very true. It's incredible, the terrible "art" people will put their name on and publish on the web. Randall's stick figures at least have funny things to say, and Rich Burlew's are quite artistic.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Tualha wrote:It's incredible, the terrible "art" people will put their name on and publish on the web.

What now, bashing of people who dare to draw imperfect stuff and put it online? Have a look at the first comics some of the best web comic artists have put up, like the first Questionable Contents, Userfriendlys, Khaoskomix, ... . They start out rather poorly and get better with practice.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

I'm not being funny.. but.. wtf is this about.. is kesha some reality tv person or something?

Argh.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

RabbitWho wrote:I'm not being funny.. but.. wtf is this about.. is kesha some reality tv person or something?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kesha

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
RabbitWho wrote:I'm not being funny.. but.. wtf is this about.. is kesha some reality tv person or something?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kesha

No need to be sarcastic. How was I supposed to know you could google someone's first name and find them. If you googled "Rebecca" you wouldn't find me.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”