0280: "Librarians"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Enid

Postby Enid » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

I'm only 17 and I plan to become a librarian. I currently volunteer at the library (shelve books, help out at programs, whatever) and have just applied for a (joy!) PAID summer teen internship that I would be absolutely ecstatic if I got. I love the library very, very much and always have. I'm even doing my senior exit paper on libraries (specifically their importance to a democratic society.) I know quite a few librarians pretty well and my oldest brother is a library tech. They're all quite awesome.

As for breaking books...well, I don't like it when people intentionally damage books, the comic did make we wince, and I hate it when people fold back my paperbacks. I get on my little sister about stuff like that. On the other hand, I believe that books are meant to be read and loved and don't have to be kept pristine. A lot of my books are worn out from being read so many times and lent to so many people and I often fall asleep reading and wake up the next morning holding the book like a teddy bear.

But yeah...just callously cracking a book like that...*shudder*

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:25 am UTC

sorry if this has been posted already (didn't read all of the previous posts first) but I wonder if librarians and lit teachers will ever agree on the concept of annotating books. My lit teachers all swear by annotation, saying it helps you understand the book better. Their personal copies of books generally have writing all over their pages: on the edges, in the crease, between lines, etc. I can only imagine what a librarian would think...
This space intentionally left blank.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:22 am UTC

sillybear25 wrote:sorry if this has been posted already (didn't read all of the previous posts first) but I wonder if librarians and lit teachers will ever agree on the concept of annotating books. My lit teachers all swear by annotation, saying it helps you understand the book better. Their personal copies of books generally have writing all over their pages: on the edges, in the crease, between lines, etc. I can only imagine what a librarian would think...

Eventually the books could become unreadable. Librarians are thinking five and six people down the line. That doesn't mean librarians don't annotate their personal books, though :).

P.S. Yay Douglas Adams.

Enid

Postby Enid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Yeah, I would strangle anyone inconsiderately writing in a library book, and I don't generally write in my books 'cause I lend them out so much. However, if it's yours there's no problem with it. I actually enjoy reading the annotations one of my friends always writes in her books.

DigitallyChallenged

Postby DigitallyChallenged » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

Pebbles wrote:You guys dont seem to realise there is more to being a librarian than stacking shelves... A LOT more.. [...] Even library technicians do more than you give them credit for.

/rant

I'll notice you still didn't tell us what. ;)

mkamba wrote:I'm not a librarian, but I've been told I "look like a librarian."

If that's you in your avatar, you do. None of that "putting things in quotes" business.

overdawg

Postby overdawg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

I'm a librarian in a branch library of the biggest library system in Baltimore city. I am a library associate I, which is is only two steps from being a Librarian I (the people with the Masters degree) and I do the same work as the Librarian I people.

Meh. I work in the children's section, so I see books massacred everyday. I get to put back books that the kids have pulled off the shelves and literally thrown around.

I know I'm a geek--I sport the clothes and the glasses, but I try to not stab patrons that harm the books. Well, not too much. Because the library's books aren't mine, patrons can do whatever they want to them (although it is library policy that if the book has been written in, ripped, or destroyed in some manner it must be discarded) however, don't be touchin' my own personal books. That means death.
Or dismemberment.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

DigitallyChallenged wrote:
Pebbles wrote:You guys dont seem to realise there is more to being a librarian than stacking shelves... A LOT more.. [...] Even library technicians do more than you give them credit for.

/rant

It depends on the library, but librarians can be in charge of research, applying for grants, and database maintanance and construction. Some are the directors and other central leaders of their libraries. Others handle multi-million dollar budgets and decide what to purchase with the money.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

overdawg wrote:however, don't be touchin' my own personal books. That means death.
Or dismemberment.

QFT/QFW!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:18 am UTC

Delbin wrote:
DigitallyChallenged wrote:

/rant

It depends on the library, but librarians can be in charge of research, applying for grants, and database maintanance and construction. Some are the directors and other central leaders of their libraries. Others handle multi-million dollar budgets and decide what to purchase with the money.

yeah.. sorry lost track of this thread haha.. but its different with every position.. im hardly going to list every possibly job description for a librarian. Theres just A LOT more to it than stacking shelves... Im sure just thinking about what goes into organising a public library you can imagine all the work that goes on behind the scenes, the cataloguing, the ordering, the maintenance, the storage, transferal of books between branches, upkeep of all equipment, tracking books, ordering loans from other libraries.. (cant think of more at the moment, gotta get to work) but I mean, thats just the non-administritive side of a public library. Now imagine being in charge of a national library!
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Phasic

Postby Phasic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:04 am UTC

Enid wrote:Yeah, I would strangle anyone inconsiderately writing in a library book, and I don't generally write in my books 'cause I lend them out so much. However, if it's yours there's no problem with it. I actually enjoy reading the annotations one of my friends always writes in her books.

When I first started university it took me AGES to overcome my entrenched psychological barriers to writing on my books. Then I only did it while undergrad.

Buggerit, if I had to do it now I'd still use a postit instead.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.

keithc

Postby keithc » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Going4aChopinSwim wrote:There is a group of activist/hippie/punk/anarchist librarians. They hold a conference once a year...a very well organized conference. Librarian activists are efficient, if nothing else.

well-organized anarchists? Isn't that like compassionate conservatism?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

keithc wrote:well-organized anarchists? Isn't that like compassionate conservatism?

See...it's comments like that tat make me want to compassionately kick political bigots in the head.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Joshua

Postby Joshua » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:
keithc wrote:well-organized anarchists? Isn't that like compassionate conservatism?

See...it's comments like that tat make me want to compassionately kick political bigots in the head.

And it's comments like that from violence addicted fear mongerers that make me want to stab y-
err..
:wink:

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Remember kids: anarchists are great organizers, they just don't do it heirarchally.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Basics

Postby Basics » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

I don't get it... why don't you just slap her?

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:19 am UTC

I used to send paperbacks back to my town library in better shape than I got them... Hardcovers, naturally, I couldn't do anything with, not being an actual bookbinder.

I actually spent so much time reading as a kid that by the time I got to college (where it's magically ok to write in books) I not only didn't need to annotate...it actually made it harder for me to remember things. I'd just gotten so used to linking a thought with a page using grey matter alone that actually writing it down, for some reason, left me unable to recall, all too frequently, why I felt the thought was relevent in the first place.

Plus, I adopted a lot of used books. The former owners' notes were frequently less than profound. I don't really want to be that guy...
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

736NVAN9EL

Re:

Postby 736NVAN9EL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

3.14159265... wrote:Ah man, thats fully a fetish of mine, to date a girl working in a library.

Also to do it in a library.

it's awesome.
never done it in a library.

Ashi

Re: "Librarians" Discussion

Postby Ashi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

This comic won me an argument today. Sort of.
We're having a (rather pathetic) book fair at my school, with stuff mostly geared for middle-schoolers and the like. There were a few good choices, though, and I bought what I felt I would actually read. One of the books happened to be Twilight, paperback, which I'll be reading for the first time. A few periods later, my teacher saw it with me and expressed interest in reading it. I gave it to him to borrow, and he was glad with the arrangement until he realized it was new. He didn't want to mess it up before I read it, so he gave it back. I insisted he take it; it'd have notes scrawled all over it when I was done. He still refused, so I took the book, flipped to the middle, and bent it back until I had cracked the spine. I set it on his desk, and he looked at me in horror, while a few of my friends freaked out. He kept it nonetheless. :wink:

(Sorry Enid!)
BomanTheBear wrote:Do not go looking for the stupidest thing ever said on the internets.

You might find it. Then it will be too late to help you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”