0280: "Librarians"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

0280: "Librarians"

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:16 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c280.html

Alt-text: Don't expect any leniency on the late fees, though.

[edit]Who dates a librarian? Most of them are really old - how many people choose, in early life, to become one?

Also, do forumers call them hard-back or hard-cover? I personally call them hard-cover books.
Last edited by Twasbrillig on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:20 am UTC

My mom wanted to be a librarian at a young age. She ended up going into teaching though.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Blatm wrote:My mom wanted to be a librarian at a young age. She ended up going into teaching though.

Well yeah, a lot of kids want to be firemen too, but we still lack them. :3
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

reach42

Postby reach42 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:25 am UTC

if you really love literature and hate children, there are only a few fields you can go in. Librarian or author really. . . And even then, librarian is easier.

ERTW

Postby ERTW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Ah man, thats fully a fetish of mine, to date a girl working in a library.

Also to do it in a library.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

kibiz0r

Postby kibiz0r » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:42 am UTC

My sister is a librarian. Sadly, she seems invulnerable to my Book Spine Bend Attack. I must perfect my technique.

*vanishes into the shadows*
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your mind.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:51 am UTC

3.14159265... wrote:Also to do it in a library.

Not quite that extreme, but when I was in highschool, by bf at the time and I used to nap together in the library. There were couches. We were occasionally scolded for "kanoodling" (as the old librarian called it) too :oops:

Ah, to be seventeen again.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:30 am UTC

Please. A real bibliophile would know that it's always considered good form to crack the spines of new hardcovers before you read them. In fact, I usually pre-bend mine in three or four places just after I take the dust jacket off. Anything bound relatively recently (the book in question was referred to as 'new') would take much more than the feeble wrists of blank guy to do any damage.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

dragonarcher8812

Postby dragonarcher8812 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Against the little warning voice in my head that screams "the word fetish has already been used, we're in the danger zone!" , I'm going to post this.

I have an internship at the Library of Congress this summer. Does that make me a librarian?

I'm only 18....

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:46 am UTC

I like bookish, quiet girls with glasses, so I suppose I would enjoy dating a librarian. I don't have a fetish for it or anything, though.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Phasic

Postby Phasic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:57 am UTC

Heh I know people like this. They've been know to tell off people in the street for folding a paperback right around to hold it in one hand.

If you really want to pull out the big guns, fold the corner of a page down to mark your place.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:06 am UTC

My mums a librarian.
=]

Oort

Postby Oort » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:19 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:Please. A real bibliophile would know that it's always considered good form to crack the spines of new hardcovers before you read them. In fact, I usually pre-bend mine in three or four places just after I take the dust jacket off. Anything bound relatively recently (the book in question was referred to as 'new') would take much more than the feeble wrists of blank guy to do any damage.

:evil:
I'm sorry, I just can't accept that. I'm with the librarian girlfriend on this one.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 am UTC

Nerdy girls are hot.
Librarian (obviously nerdier than nerdy girls) are hotter.

I still have not found the ability to enjoy reading. I get too distracted from everything easily.

So much to do!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Sexy_Rexxy
Location: I went to sleep last night and woke up here... where is here?

Postby Sexy_Rexxy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Every librarian I've met has been a royal pain in the neck... they're just so damn prudent...

Reading is fun, but i'd rather buy a book then deal with a librarian again :?

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:01 am UTC

I'd work as a librarian as a side job... It would be fun, methinks. Code in the library while listening to soft music, be able to yell when you want and have no one tell you off, do what you want... Just great.

jamessw

Postby jamessw » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:04 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:I'd work as a librarian as a side job... It would be fun, methinks. Code in the library while listening to soft music, be able to yell when you want and have no one tell you off, do what you want... Just great.

You forget the tedious work of re-organising the shelves every day after no-gooders have been in and moved the books around; that must be so frustrating to them.
~ james

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:35 am UTC

jamessw wrote:
ArchangelShrike wrote:I'd work as a librarian as a side job... It would be fun, methinks. Code in the library while listening to soft music, be able to yell when you want and have no one tell you off, do what you want... Just great.

You forget the tedious work of re-organising the shelves every day after no-gooders have been in and moved the books around; that must be so frustrating to them.

Pages, students, or other first-level workers are usually the ones that shelve, shelf read, and do the other repetitive stuff. Librarians make up only a quarter of the people you see in a library. They're usually the ones at the reference desk or behind the scenes buying books or doing other administrative things.

I work as a desk clerk at the local library :).

Twasbrillig wrote:[edit]Who dates a librarian? Most of them are really old - how many people choose, in early life, to become one?

Also, do forumers call them hard-back or hard-cover? I personally call them hard-cover books.

Well, it's usually a lifelong profession. I've known a few in their late 20's, but generally they tend to be older. You have to start somewhere and you can be a librarian after finishing a masters degree in information science.

I use hard-back. *shrugs*

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:41 am UTC

__Kit wrote:My mums a librarian.

Your Mum's a librarian!
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 am UTC

You can only be a librarian after finishing a masters degree?!?
Wow. What do they do that is so complicated?

And I totally loved this strip. I'm infamous amongst my friends for being terrible when it comes to taking good care of books. I use the books and you can see it on them. When I'm in the middle of a book I take it EVERYWHERE with me, unless it's really heavy, because I can't just read in one place. I don't fold pages because it doesn't work for me, but I do have a tendency to sort of "play" with the rim of the page while I read. I totally fold paper-backs so I can read them with one hand.

But somehow, I like my books better that way, that you can see that they've been used. I can't stand new books, they make me shiver. I'm not too big on libraries (maybe it's because the one at my school is extremely limited), but I just crave second-hand book shops. I love the smell of paper going yellow and the way it looks and feels and the atmosphere it gives you while reading the book.
Meow.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 am UTC

hahah thats funny as, im studying to be a librarian! And yes, young people sometimes do aspire to work with dusty old books ok! Im only 18. Although admittedly a good amount of people in my course are a lot older than me. But yeah.. im all for cracking books spines.. and turning down corners.. and leaving books in puddles of water... it shows they are loved :)

also, in Australia you can be a library technician after a one year TAFE course, but are only a full Librarian after completing a three year university degree (of which there are only two courses in NSW that are recognised by ALIA, aussie library ascociation). Im only in my first year and im still not sure what they are gonna fill the other years with.. I feel like after my first semester there cant possibly be much more left... can there? Ill let you know anyway.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 am UTC

jamessw wrote:

Having worked in a library, both at the desk and between the shelves i must say "PUT THE ******* BOOK BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT! "

If you're to lazy for that, just dump it on a cart and we'll put it back, nothing is more annoying then not being able to find something which should be there.

Also, working in a library instills the strange urge to alfabetise books whereever I go, and to put them so that the covers all line up in one neat line.

lyworm wrote:You can only be a librarian after finishing a masters degree?!?

good question. I've always thought that anyone with the ability of associative thought and some common sense could do the job. The rest is on the job experience, which you can pick up in about a month or two.
The experience is most important though, can't learn that in school.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:16 am UTC

You guys dont seem to realise there is more to being a librarian than stacking shelves... A LOT more.. depending on the library you are working in and what position you hold. Public libraries only have a few qualified librarians on staff, and uni libraries have about half their staff as librarians. Everyone else is a library technician or similar. Even library technicians do more than you give them credit for.

/rant
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.

-Neil Gaiman

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:21 am UTC

lyworm wrote:You can only be a librarian after finishing a masters degree?!?

We have people with 4-year degrees (and I think slightly less) doing the same type of work at our library. I think it's just the prestige of officially being an official librarian officially. They want librarians to have a /lot/ of general knowledge and have the ability to keep up with new trends, so it's not too surprising that they prefer people who go through a lot of school.

Alcari wrote:Having worked in a library, both at the desk and between the shelves i must say "PUT THE ******* BOOK BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!

I dunno... People tend to put books back where there happens to be a space where they remember the book went. I doubt 99.5% of them would check the call number to make sure the book is in the right place. That's about the accuracy of a library employee picking up a book from the shelving cart and putting it on the shelf himself.

jsbillings

Librarians and degrees

Postby jsbillings » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:36 am UTC

My fiancee is a librarian, and has a MLIS degree. I believe most libraries will only hire someone with a degree as a Librarian, otherwise you're a Library tech or some other name.

Keep in mind, to work in a library, you aren't just moving books around, you have to know all the different catalogs, the cataloging systems (Dewey, Sears, LOC, etc. etc.) you have to know how to use all the journal searching systems the library subscribes to, and you have to be able to deal with the public. There's a lot of complex information behind those shelves and card catalogs that is easy to take for granted. Unfortunately, a lot of idiots still come in to the library asking, "I'm looking for a blue book."

Now, I *know* the reason why it seems that most librarians are old. A good library job is hard to get. Most of the time, the only way a position is opened is by someone dying.

Delbin

Re: Librarians and degrees

Postby Delbin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:57 am UTC

jsbillings wrote:Now, I *know* the reason why it seems that most librarians are old. A good library job is hard to get. Most of the time, the only way a position is opened is by someone dying.

Damn skippy. I've been trying for two years to get a more permanent position in a library without much luck.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:
Alcari wrote:Having worked in a library, both at the desk and between the shelves i must say "PUT THE ******* BOOK BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!

I dunno... People tend to put books back where there happens to be a space where they remember the book went. I doubt 99.5% of them would check the call number to make sure the book is in the right place. That's about the accuracy of a library employee picking up a book from the shelving cart and putting it on the shelf himself.

not really, a lot of people just put it whereever there's room, if that happens to be on another shelf in the general area where they found it, so be it. This hapens mostly with novels etc, where there are usually more 'gaps' on the shelves. Otherwise, I ahve no explanation why, at the end of the week, all the shelves need 'defragmentation'

jsbillings wrote:Keep in mind, to work in a library, you aren't just moving books around, you have to know all the different catalogs, the cataloging systems (Dewey, Sears, LOC, etc. etc.)

Hmm, Over here all the catalogs are integrated into a nationwide system. There's only one system holding every book there is in the whole country. Only once in three years have I heared of a book which wasn't available in the whole country, and that was some obscure ornithology book from a hundred years ago.

jsbillings wrote:You have to know how to use all the journal searching systems the library subscribes to, and you have to be able to deal with the public. There's a lot of complex information behind those shelves and card catalogs that is easy to take for granted. Unfortunately, a lot of idiots still come in to the library asking, "I'm looking for a blue book."

Actually, the information is pretty simple, There's just a lot of it. Books in the Netherlands are coded mostly by SISO, though there's also a UDC code on most of them, they're always sorted by SISO code. (It's a dutch thing apearently) After a while you can actually find things just by looking in the correct general direction. "Making drawing, that would be 7 for art, 4 for drawings .02 for craftmenship making it 74?.02 which is over here"

And yes, the people coming in with "I'm looking for a blue book, about this big, so thick and it's about a man named joe" will be a bit hard to help, even with the best computer searching system. (although new systems do incorporate a discrpition of what's on the cover, that doesn't work with books entered before said system was used)
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:I like bookish, quiet girls with glasses, so I suppose I would enjoy dating a librarian. I don't have a fetish for it or anything, though.

I know a few librarians and library techs, and thus far that description has only matched one of them. The rest are complete weirdos, but in the fun way.

I dated a library tech for a while. Didn't affect the relationship much other than allowing me to wander through the closed stacks here and see all the rare pretties.

As for treatment of books, I dogear my paperbacks, but not my hardcovers. I don't intentionally break the spines on books, but don't fret if they get broken. While I respect my books, my lifestyle tends to be hard on my stuff, so my books get a bit battered. I figure it's ok as it means I love them enough to take them everywhere.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

PS_Mouse wrote:
__Kit wrote:My mums a librarian.

Your Mum's a librarian!

thats what she said
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

ERTW wrote:Image

Nice boobs.

I don't think breaking the binding on a book would win you an argument vs. your librarian girl friend, I think she'd probably just kill you.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

McHell

Librarian killer

Postby McHell » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

My supervisor has a sith/voodoo like ability of making librarians sick over a 10mile radius. He has the habit of buying all books in triple --- one for his home, one for his office, and one to cut/tear in juicy bitses to take along.

As he's travelling a lot, he only takes hand luggage so it's a weight economy. But you should see the face of a visitor, when he unpacks another 20book load and immediately tears up some!

Also, if librarians are your thing, check out the Questionable Content daily comic. The original lead works (at the moment) in a library, so shenanigans appear regularly... and the "she blinded me with library science" t-shirt.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

I looked into library science programs at schools while I was checking out museum studies.

I thought I would be able to explain how I feel about book abuse. I have started and restarted this paragraph four times. There are no words. Just know that my feelings are strong.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Serdic

Postby Serdic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

My librarian girlfriend gave me The Look as I reached for a new hardcover, shortly after showing her this strip.

I've really gotta remember to pick my battles.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

Is it bad that I flinched a bit when I saw the last panel?

Yes, I would say so. Considering I have troubles reading this, but can watch a violent human torture scene in a movie just fine...hmm...what does that say about me?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

Narsil- I was thinking much the same thing.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Is it bad that I flinched a bit when I saw the last panel?

Me too. Gah.

Mad props to the nympho librarian book guy, ERTW!
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

pfargtl

argh

Postby pfargtl » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

I winced when I read "Crack" and imagined what was happening to the book.

I don't like breaking the binding. At the same time, I carry books with me all the time, so my personal collection takes quite a beating.

And, I LOVE dating librarians...(although I may be a little biased)

EDIT: I love dating a librarian. Singular. Not Plural.
What the Pfargtl?

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

My girlfriend works as a librarian at the law school.. I'm planning on going in while she is working just so she can "shush" me. :twisted:
For the Jihad

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

Also, any guy who doesn't understand the importance of having the support of your boyfriend when you have to deal with your family, isn't worth his weight in pie.
.....I like pie.

WhiteRabbit wrote:My girlfriend works as a librarian at the law school.. I'm planning on going in while she is working just so she can "shush" me. :twisted:

Oooh, what's her name? Maybe I can poke her next time I'm working over there.
Last edited by Sprocket on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:25 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”