0858: "Milk"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares (...)


What about the people who come here to tell everyone that they find a comic funny? Is that too self-important to you, or is it completely different?

Actually, that's a little tedious too... but at least it's not angry and negative. When one of your FB friends posts "X happened, and it was awesome", and another posts that "their life sucks and everyone should pity them", which do you prefer to read? This is even one step removed, since I don't have a clue who you are. Frankly, I'm a little surprised I'm having to explain this... Feel free to not like the comic, but saying so here contributes nothing and assumes everyone else should care; Do it if you like, but know that it's nothing but a downer for everyone looking for interesting content.

Aic wrote:For me, this would be:
a) the age of the protagonists, I didn't assume it would be likely for adults to not know about the topic in question

Just because he's thinking about it doesn't mean he lacks understanding of her anatomy. I think about crazy things all the time that I know are impossible. Like dragons. He's also a guy, and may not have put much thought into how that part of the female body works, and further, other posters have pointed out that it is, indeed, possible under the right circumstances. I can see how this line of thought could lead you to assuming the panel was sexual in nature, but I think that would be a wrong assumption to make. Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

mannjess wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares (...)


What about the people who come here to tell everyone that they find a comic funny? Is that too self-important to you, or is it completely different?

Actually, that's a little tedious too... but at least it's not angry and negative. When one of your FB friends posts "X happened, and it was awesome", and another posts that "their life sucks and everyone should pity them", which do you prefer to read? This is even one step removed, since I don't have a clue who you are. Frankly, I'm a little surprised I'm having to explain this... Feel free to not like the comic, but saying so here contributes nothing and assumes everyone else should care; Do it if you like, but know that it's nothing but a downer for everyone looking for interesting content.

Aic wrote:For me, this would be:
a) the age of the protagonists, I didn't assume it would be likely for adults to not know about the topic in question

Just because he's thinking about it doesn't mean he lacks understanding of her anatomy. I think about crazy things all the time that I know are impossible. Like dragons. He's also a guy, and may not have put much thought into how that part of the female body works, and further, other posters have pointed out that it is, indeed, possible under the right circumstances. I can see how this line of thought could lead you to assuming the panel was sexual in nature, but I think that would be a wrong assumption to make. Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes.

So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.

Hawker Hedin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Hawker Hedin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

mooncow wrote:And some of the comments from SirMustapha or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob are just out of order. Shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RANDALL" is not funny or interesting or informative. In fact, given that it was already evident that some people did appreciate this comic, such reactions just point up a lack of understanding that people are *different* and different humour appeals to different people.

OK, this comic made me laugh out loud. It appeals to the 14-year-old part of my mentality. So did the TGI Friday's one. Sorry, I can't help that. Some other xkcd comics have not made me laugh, but they clearly made other people laugh, and I don't begrudge them that. I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares, any more than I can see why I should especially care that SirMustapha or Matt or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob don't find this one funny. If someone doesn't find *any* xkcd funny, they should probably go away and find some other way to pass their time. If you don't find them *all* funny, well, enjoy xkcd for the ones you do. If someone DOES find them ALL funny, they probably need psychiatric help, so we can all take some comfort at least....

Randall, please keep up your eclectic and varied comics. I accept that some of them will not make me laugh -- and some might make me downright puzzled -- as the flip-side of the coin that has me laughing out loud at others and awestruck at the pure genius of one or two every now and then. And they are moments I live for.


A friend of mine once pointed that we don't outgrow a childish sense of humor, we just add new layers of humor as we go. I think being able to laugh at immature or even downright infantile jokes along with more sophisticated ones is a sign of a balanced person.

Also, it seems right that someone who goes by mooncow would find this hilarious.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

mannjess wrote:
dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.

Literally or not, the title text is implying that the woman is making a very safe bet that the guy is thinking about milking a woman (not just breasts in general; she gives a very specific use of them). No, that's not normal thinking.

Maybe the joke is "Two people were thinking the same totally random thing". It still isn't funny. That's bad sitcom level humor.

User avatar
Bruce Springsteen
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Bruce Springsteen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

ozkidzez91 wrote:IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY

IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY IAMGAY

Real mature way to "win" an argument. -____- :arrow:

And y'all need to be more open-minded.
sup
Image

User avatar
MathGirl
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby MathGirl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Aic wrote:Well. Uh. Yes.
Actually I'd even prefer a partner who doesn't associate babies stuff with sex since I find babies not very arousing, as probably mentioned before.


There was a feature on 20/20 (or some similar evening news program, I forget) about women coming to orgasm while giving birth. Because what is a baby but a giant penis, really?

I'm surprised to see so much squirming over even pseudo-sexual suggestions.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5482
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Milk.

It's like you're mom...

...does a body good. ;)

(Giggity).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
mannjess wrote:
dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.

Literally or not, the title text is implying that the woman is making a very safe bet that the guy is thinking about milking a woman (not just breasts in general; she gives a very specific use of them). No, that's not normal thinking.

Maybe the joke is "Two people were thinking the same totally random thing". It still isn't funny. That's bad sitcom level humor.

Obviously it isn't normal thinking, and it isn't supposed to be.

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

There was a feature on 20/20 (or some similar evening news program, I forget) about women coming to orgasm while giving birth. Because what is a baby but a giant penis, really?

Ah, heard of that, some years ago. Iirc, theory was that it could help the woman not to hate her child so f***ing much for starting out as the greatest pain in her life.
But could that be of importance for the fact that I don't like babies/baby stuff or the thought of babies/baby stuff used on purpose for sexual arousal?
Now there's the word "dickhead" in my head.
But I don't know if your comparison makes sense since a penis is not usually getting a woman off by just sticking in there and (really really slowly) slipping out. On the other hand your comparison probably wasn't aimed at making sense.
(And at this point I'm happy once more to be a "caesarean section-child", as they say here.)

*scratches her head* Well. A rare occasion of me absolutely not getting what/where the joke/point is (which made me end up here again, in first place), especially if it's not to be seen in a sexual way, even now after reading all comments/interpretations. I really didn't like every xkcd-comic, but I always knew what's supposed to be the joke/point. Weird. Thanks for babbling and trying, though, forum! x) At least it was interesting.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

edbdqt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby edbdqt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

I realize I'm the minority here, but I kinda liked the comic. Of course, this probably has to do with the fact I grew up on a dairy farm and the fact I have kids and so have dealt with human lactation personally.

Out of curiosity, who here has kids and finds the comic repellent for biological reasons? Objectively, the joke IS kind of weak, I just happen to fall in a very small unintentional target demographic.

(And for those guys out there who don't have kids, consider this: If you have kids, odds are you're gonna want to have sex at some point after the birth of a child. Generally, lactation will be part of that first post-childbirth sex package, wanted or not.)

Randomness
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Randomness » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Aic wrote:
hmmm.... people have boobs... so, could a person be milked?

Market gap? I guess most mothers use their milk for their own offspring, might be hard to get enough to be worth selling on a grand scale.



Ever hear of wet nurses? Used to be a profession and while not mass marketed there always seemed to be someone around in need of one.

edit:
Also historically breasts haven't been considered sexual organs. If you look at traditional Indian attire the little half-shirt under the sari is a relatively new addition (I'm guessing since British empire). Up till an exterior cultural influence the breasts were exposed and milking infants in public was normal. It seems to be the northern climates that eventually equated covered body to taboo things, even though it started as a necessity to keep warm. When you never discuss things with children they can get such weird ideas on why things are done one way or another.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
dp2 wrote:
mannjess wrote:
dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.

Literally or not, the title text is implying that the woman is making a very safe bet that the guy is thinking about milking a woman (not just breasts in general; she gives a very specific use of them). No, that's not normal thinking.

Maybe the joke is "Two people were thinking the same totally random thing". It still isn't funny. That's bad sitcom level humor.

Obviously it isn't normal thinking, and it isn't supposed to be.

Really? manjess just said that it is.

But let's say it's not, as you say. Now we have: woman randomly blurts out something about milking women (herself in particular), and this happens to be what the guy is thinking of, as he does 40-50% of the time (or some non-literal large amount of time).

....nope, still don't get it.

philip1201
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby philip1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

This might be a bit of a curveball, but the comic got me thinking: does breast milk count as a bodily fluid, that is to say, one of which the transfer might carry STDs? If so, do babies get STDs from their mothers if they breastfeed (in which case You need to be worried, given Your Mom)?

dp2 wrote:You know, I've often wondered, "How do comedians know their life experiences and thinking processes are universal? And what would happen if they were wrong?" I think that might be what happened with this comic. At least I thought that might be the case, until I read all the LOLs here. Maybe you and I are the ones who are wrong.

In most cases, comedians select something which, although people have not necessarily experienced something, they have experienced something close enough for it to count. So in this comic, any fetishist might find it funny, because this comic could apply to any one of them.

mannjess wrote:Boobs are a part of life absent sex

Not to men.
mannjess wrote:and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal

And that it is.
Aic wrote:Ah, heard of that, some years ago. Iirc, theory was that it could help the woman not to hate her child so f***ing much for starting out as the greatest pain in her life.

I thought that referred to a special hormone with painkilling effects stronger than the maximum safe dose of morphine and as only side-effect short term memory loss. (I think I heard it somewhere too).
dp2 wrote:....nope, still don't get it.

It doesn't have to be random, perhaps she saw him staring at her boobs and showing signs of (animal instinct level) preparing for dinner (drooling would be most obvious, but unlikely. There's probably other signals to indicate someone is bodily preparing for food though). And if you happen to have come in contact with jokes at some other point in your life, then you should know that explaining jokes rationally is impossible. Comedy is not a science, it's sociology at best.

User avatar
BioTube
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby BioTube » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:This might be a bit of a curveball, but the comic got me thinking: does breast milk count as a bodily fluid, that is to say, one of which the transfer might carry STDs? If so, do babies get STDs from their mothers if they breastfeed (in which case You need to be worried, given Your Mom)?
Yes, though presumably the risk is the same as swapping spit(<insert preemptive strike at infantophiles here>). The major reason a child can be born without the mother's infections is the fact the placenta is such a damn good filter.
mannjess wrote:Boobs are a part of life absent sex

Not to men.
So manboobs are sexualized by default? Then I must be doing it wrong.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

DVC
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby DVC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 am UTC

I didn't like this one. I thought it was in poor taste. It feeds into the stereotype that men are sick perverts. This stereotype it seems I have to disprove every time I become newly acquainted with a woman. Not funny. Not a good comic.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 am UTC

philip1201 wrote:
dp2 wrote:....nope, still don't get it.

It doesn't have to be random, perhaps she saw him staring at her boobs and showing signs of (animal instinct level) preparing for dinner (drooling would be most obvious, but unlikely. There's probably other signals to indicate someone is bodily preparing for food though). And if you happen to have come in contact with jokes at some other point in your life, then you should know that explaining jokes rationally is impossible. Comedy is not a science, it's sociology at best.

I've come into contact with enough jokes that I know that even the best comics sometimes craft them poorly. Case in point.

Hawker Hedin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Hawker Hedin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am UTC

DVC wrote:I didn't like this one. I thought it was in poor taste. It feeds into the stereotype that men are sick perverts. This stereotype it seems I have to disprove every time I become newly acquainted with a woman. Not funny. Not a good comic.


Meh. Men are perverts, women are perverts, everyone has dirty/uncomfortable/taboo thoughts sometimes. Really shouldn't be such a big deal. Notice the guy in the comic didn't actually do anything weird/inappropriate/jerky. I've got an extremely active and... erm... creative fantasy life, and it has not stopped me from generally treating the people around me with respect. And when I am a bastard, it's not because I'm a pervert. I don't know where "sick" plays into it.

User avatar
Bruce Springsteen
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Bruce Springsteen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 am UTC

mooncow wrote:And some of the comments from SirMustapha or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob are just out of order. Shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RANDALL" is not funny or interesting or informative. In fact, given that it was already evident that some people did appreciate this comic, such reactions just point up a lack of understanding that people are *different* and different humour appeals to different people.

OK, this comic made me laugh out loud. It appeals to the 14-year-old part of my mentality. So did the TGI Friday's one. Sorry, I can't help that. Some other xkcd comics have not made me laugh, but they clearly made other people laugh, and I don't begrudge them that. I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares, any more than I can see why I should especially care that SirMustapha or Matt or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob don't find this one funny. If someone doesn't find *any* xkcd funny, they should probably go away and find some other way to pass their time. If you don't find them *all* funny, well, enjoy xkcd for the ones you do. If someone DOES find them ALL funny, they probably need psychiatric help, so we can all take some comfort at least....

Randall, please keep up your eclectic and varied comics. I accept that some of them will not make me laugh -- and some might make me downright puzzled -- as the flip-side of the coin that has me laughing out loud at others and awestruck at the pure genius of one or two every now and then. And they are moments I live for.

Go suck a tit, dipshit. fuckyoyfngbfg;ldsadnvfdvsFUCKTHEPAINAWAY
FUCKC THE PAIN AWYAY
sup
Image

keithc
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby keithc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:And some of the comments from SirMustapha or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob are just out of order. Shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RANDALL" is not funny or interesting or informative.

Since when is it meant to be? When you stub your little toe against the foot of the table, is yelling "ouch" supposed to be "funny, interesting or informative"? It's not, is it? That's exactly what I did there.

Actually, it isn't. Shouting when you stub your toe is an instant, instinctive reaction. Posting here is neither instant nor instinctive. You have time to think about it. Making a post should be a rational decision, hopefully with rational (or at least relevant to others) content.

SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:back through this thread and you will be forced to concede, whether you like it or not, that SOME PEOPLE FOUND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it. Similarly, I think we can all tell that SOME PEOPLE DID NOT FIND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it.

In other words, "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP HAVING A DEBATE HERE IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE".

That's not what mooncow was saying. Simply shouting "NOT FUNNY" is the equivalent of the Monty Python "argument" sketch, not a debate, or like a child with a sugar overdose showing off (I know, urban myth). Saying (not SHOUTING) why you did not find it funny is fine and potentially interesting.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

keithc wrote:Making a post should be a rational decision, hopefully with rational (or at least relevant to others) content.


Sure, because putting feelings or emotions in written form is completely unthinkable. We are not humans expressing things, we are computers processing data. Now I understand.

keithc wrote:That's not what mooncow was saying. Simply shouting "NOT FUNNY" is the equivalent of the Monty Python "argument" sketch, not a debate, or like a child with a sugar overdose showing off (I know, urban myth). Saying (not SHOUTING) why you did not find it funny is fine and potentially interesting.


Who here is shouting "NOT FUNNY"? It seems like you didn't read my posts, and you're mostly reacting according to how someone else reacted to my post. If anyone here is shouting, it's the folks who come here only to post "RANDALL, GET OUT OF MY HEAD" as if that meant anything.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

What I find most amusing about all this is that this comment thread validates the observation in Trochee Fixation. Apparently people are eschewing the term "non sequitur" for "RAN-dom HU-mor".
Last edited by dp2 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Carlington » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

I found this one reasonably funny. Not a corker, but I've read worse. The amount of dispute over what the joke was actually about, however, calls to mind a saying about jokes and frogs.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Twigshusband
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Twigshusband » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Some people noticed she doesn't have legs. Did anybody notice she doesn't have breasts? Explain that one.
Even if she weren't lactating (and she miraculously grew some breasts, you could still have a lot of fun trying to milk her.

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
dp2 wrote:
mannjess wrote:
dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.

Literally or not, the title text is implying that the woman is making a very safe bet that the guy is thinking about milking a woman (not just breasts in general; she gives a very specific use of them). No, that's not normal thinking.

Obviously it isn't normal thinking, and it isn't supposed to be.

Really? manjess just said that it is.

Just to be clear... I was talking about "thinking about boobs", not the thought presented in the comic. It would be abnormal to think that specifically about any one topic 50% of the time, which I believe is part of the joke. It's just that people were getting all up-in-arms about thinking about boobs non-sexually being normal. It is - they're simply a part of life.

philip1201 wrote:
mannjess wrote:Boobs are a part of life absent sex

Not to men.

You don't see boobs regularly? I'm having trouble picturing what sort of community you live in, then.

GhostlyKarliion
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby GhostlyKarliion » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:40 or 50% of the time? That seems low for Randall.

In other news, there was a country where the careless translation of "Got Milk?" turned out to mean "Are you lactating?" I forget where though and can't be bothered looking it up. (Mainly because I'm not about to Google that phrase :P)


Actually, that country was california... http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-08-25/business/17613371_1_california-milk-processor-board-anita-santiago-latino-households


in other news...


I am shocked at the lack of actual information posted in this thread, so i'll rant first:

Spoiler:
[RANTON]Just because you think one way doesn't mean everyone else does too, you don't have to like it, but before you make an ass of yourself why don't you do some research and save your opinionated comments for arguing with other brain-less idiots. Science has information that is relevant to this discussion and the idiotic crap spewing onto these forums cannot be classified as science.[/RANTOFF]

Men being attracted by a woman's lactation is actually pretty common, more-so than most men will admit, though it is usually a protective response by the man. There are certain pseudo-hormones that are produced during sex and some of those are also produced during breastfeeding. To claim that it is 'wrong' to have this desire or respond to those feelings is a cultural issue - not a moral one.

You do not have to like it (you being a term for those who are vehemently opposed to it), but then again I would be willing to bet that you have no children and have never observed the act in question, therefore you are wholly unqualified to comment on it.

of course, I could be wrong about that last bit, you could be the kind of person who finds themselves very turned-on by it and are responding with an extreme level of distaste because you are afraid of being thought of as 'different'. You are, colloquially, "in the closet"

For more information and supporting data:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article426518.ece
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article4267588.ece
http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-husband-wants-to-taste-my-breast-milk-is-it-okay-if-he-do_8926.bc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_lactation
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL9727786M/The_Lore_and_Lure_of_Mother's_Milk


additionally...

I did not find this comic to be in reference to sexuality at all but to the nerdiness present in many of us who read this comic.

Something along the vein of this instance that happened to me when I worked at a retail store:

First off, I am a gun-nerd, among other things. I am more interested in doing my job than looking at another picture of a naked woman. I was trying to get my job finished that day when two guys walked up with a magazine and said something along the lines of "hey, look at this woman" to which I replied "I don't have time for that, I'm trying to get my work done". Later that day (after my work was finished) the same guy walked up and said "hey, check out this new gun" I got excited and quickly took the magazine from him to look at the article... I found myself sorely disappointed when it was, in fact, a picture of a nearly-nude woman. I was expecting a gun, my mind was nowhere near women, thus the transition to sexuality was too far for my mind to jump.

in the same way, I could see myself wondering if I could 'milk' my SO without having any sexual thoughts at all, the techie in me could simply want to know how it worked.

It's the same reason I took a car apart and why I stripped my first computer down to it's bare components, to learn how they worked, this comic appeals to those among us who are a distinct blend of engineer/inventor/scientist. That's OK, I actually LOL'd at this one, well done Randall.

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

edbdqt wrote:Out of curiosity, who here has kids and finds the comic repellent for biological reasons?
I'm a bit late, but what would be a good example for "biological reasons"? I don't have kids, though.

Randomness wrote:Ever hear of wet nurses?
Now you mentioned it I remember I heard of that practice, but I really didn't know it was an actual profession. I came across an article about milk banks now and I'm surprised they obviously don't exist in my country.
Randomness wrote:It seems to be the northern climates that eventually equated covered body to taboo things
Would have guessed so. But I think it's possible to basically switch one's view depending on situation, or at least to know that they're not just there for sexual reasons. I hear it gets more and more common that breastfeeding in public counts as harassment, though. (And while I really don't want to see it I still find it pretty wrong to generally assume it's offending.)

On a more random side note:
"Some women lose the ability to be aroused while breastfeeding, and thus would not find lactation of a sexual partner erotic. This can be a result of physical reasons (soreness) or psychological reasons (conflicted about her breasts being used for an infant)."
Now I feel almost normal for being repelled by a lactation fetish because I assign lactation to babies (though I'm not in a situation to feed a baby). Thanks xD On the other hand, it might not be the best source.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

DVC
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby DVC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Hawker Hedin wrote:
DVC wrote:I didn't like this one. I thought it was in poor taste. It feeds into the stereotype that men are sick perverts. This stereotype it seems I have to disprove every time I become newly acquainted with a woman. Not funny. Not a good comic.


Meh. Men are perverts, women are perverts, everyone has dirty/uncomfortable/taboo thoughts sometimes. Really shouldn't be such a big deal. Notice the guy in the comic didn't actually do anything weird/inappropriate/jerky. I've got an extremely active and... erm... creative fantasy life, and it has not stopped me from generally treating the people around me with respect. And when I am a bastard, it's not because I'm a pervert. I don't know where "sick" plays into it.


Maybe it's common for most people to have those types of thoughts often. I don't. But that's not really my point. What irritates me (and generally makes life difficult) is that there is an inequal assumption that men are more perverted than women – that every man is only interested in sex. When what you're looking for is meaningful friendship in the first instance, that assumption represents a potential barrier of significant magnitude.

Our society ascribes the role of sexual gate-keeper to women, and the role of the man to trying to beat down the door. I find the assumption of these roles to be detrimental, both to my personal life, and to society in general.

User avatar
Platypodes
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 am UTC
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Platypodes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Osprei wrote:I sort of saw the comic as a more "random weird thoughts go through my head" from Randall instead of just a sexual joke. Similar to various ones about raptors, but with a different subject.

Higgs Boson wrote:Nothing in the comic explicitly suggests that the thought of lactation turns the guy on. If you decided that because he's thinking about something breast-related that it must inevitably be because it makes him horny that's your issue.

senmoonsect wrote:i didn't find this sexual, and i wonder why most of you do?

MagentaHawk wrote:Why does he have to have a sexual fetish about her lactating to think about it? That did not enter my mind at all until the forums and even after reading them I am not getting that vibe at all from the comic and there is nothing to hint at it except that you need boobs to do so.

The title text tells us that this isn't a random thought; he spends a lot of time thinking about it. And if a guy is spending a lot of time thinking about milking a woman's breasts, it's probably because the idea turns him on... 'Cause otherwise, why would it be that interesting?

(I could certainly see a person having this thought in passing without it being sexual. Breasts really aren't sex organs, after all; the idea that boobs=sex is cultural.)
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Dvandemon
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:43 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Dvandemon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 am UTC

I for one found this hilarious. To everyone else, why you acting so dignified?
Spoiler:
from canada, SirMustapha etc. WHO THE FUCK SAID YOUR OPINION MATTERS???!?

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:The title text tells us that this isn't a random thought; he spends a lot of time thinking about it. And if a guy is spending a lot of time thinking about milking a woman's breasts, it's probably because the idea turns him on... 'Cause otherwise, why would it be that interesting?


Because now, apparently, it is geeky to think of milking women, because... because Randall said so, I guess.


GhostlyKarliion wrote:Men being attracted by a woman's lactation is actually pretty common, more-so than most men will admit, though it is usually a protective response by the man. There are certain pseudo-hormones that are produced during sex and some of those are also produced during breastfeeding. To claim that it is 'wrong' to have this desire or respond to those feelings is a cultural issue - not a moral one.

You do not have to like it (you being a term for those who are vehemently opposed to it), but then again I would be willing to bet that you have no children and have never observed the act in question, therefore you are wholly unqualified to comment on it.

of course, I could be wrong about that last bit, you could be the kind of person who finds themselves very turned-on by it and are responding with an extreme level of distaste because you are afraid of being thought of as 'different'. You are, colloquially, "in the closet"


This is hilarious: now, lactation fetish is the norm and if you are turned off by it, it's because you have ISSUES.

For Heaven's sake, is it TOO ILLOGICAL to make the link that "lactation = babies" and "babies = not sexy"? Yes, I know some people have diaper fetish, and that freaks me out even more. Is it because I am a retrograde, conservative Republical monster like Bill O'Reilly? No, it's not. Geez.

Dvandemon wrote:I for one found this hilarious. To everyone else, why you acting so dignified?


I don't know: ask that to those who were born through a caesarean section.

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Dvandemon wrote:I for one found this hilarious. To everyone else, why you acting so dignified?

Thus everyone would always find it at least okay to be squeezed through a bonebreakingly tight passage of blood and slime for at least 1 hour. And since maybe I would find that funny for some unknown reason, but still find lactation+sex personally disgusting, there has to be some rare, unidentified flaw in your logic.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

User avatar
BioTube
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby BioTube » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:For Heaven's sake, is it TOO ILLOGICAL to make the link that "lactation = babies" and "babies = not sexy"?
That's the same kind of logic that sates "sex with pregnant woman = ewe", yet it seems to be becoming more common that that idea isn't well-founded.
Yes, I know some people have diaper fetish, and that freaks me out even more. Is it because I am a retrograde, conservative Republical monster like Bill O'Reilly? No, it's not. Geez.
Diapers aren't also a perfectly natural part of a woman - milk and pregnancy are.
I don't know: ask that to those who were born through a caesarean section.
You were once pulled out of a gash in somebody's stomach. Why are you acting so dignified?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

zAlbee
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby zAlbee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 am UTC

I find all the squeamish (prude?) comments here hilarious.

Newsflash: Everything about sex has to do with babies. Breasts provide milk. Wider hips make it easier to bear a child. Sex produces babies.

So baby-related things can't be sexy? Holy shit, sex isn't sexy! Who knew? :roll:

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:32 am UTC

That's the same kind of logic that sates "sex with pregnant woman = ewe", yet it seems to be becoming more common that that idea isn't well-founded.
Which one doesn't seem well-founded, the idea of having sex with a pregnant woman or the idea that "sex with a pregnant woman = ewe"?
(I am indeed not too fond of the idea to almost poke your baby's head with your dick's head.)

Newsflash: Everything about sex has to do with babies. Breasts provide milk. Wider hips make it easier to bear a child. Sex produces babies.
The latter are of a different level of association and reasoning. But I think neither of us feels like discussing that.
Last edited by Aic on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

tokyogodfather
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:38 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby tokyogodfather » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 am UTC

LOL My gf has rather large breasts (larger than the women around her) so I totally relate to this comic. I want a shirt with this on it so I can give it to her. She will LOL because its true.

40 - 50% of the time is about right, if the woman is sitting right in front of you. And they're big.

User avatar
Kisama
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:52 am UTC
Location: (0, 0, 0)

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Kisama » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:49 am UTC

Aic wrote:
That's the same kind of logic that sates "sex with pregnant woman = ewe", yet it seems to be becoming more common that that idea isn't well-founded.

Which one doesn't seem well-founded, the idea of having sex with a pregnant woman or the idea that "sex with a pregnant woman = ewe"?
I agree that the idea that sex with a pregnant women is equivalent to a sheep isn't well-founded.
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

philip1201
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby philip1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am UTC

mannjess wrote:
philip1201 wrote:
mannjess wrote:Boobs are a part of life absent sex

Not to men.

You don't see boobs regularly? I'm having trouble picturing what sort of community you live in, then.


University physics student community. 1:10 female to male ratio.
But anyway, seeing them and having them be part of your life are two different things. I see the moon but wouldn't call it part of my life. I talk to women, but me paying non-sexual attention to them and me taking note of their breasts to such an extent that I would consider them "part of my life" are mutually exclusive, and they tend to prefer the former.
I think our disagreement lies in what we call "part of life", your definition being more broad than mine.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

zAlbee wrote:Sex produces babies.


And condoms are TOOLS OF THE DEVIL.

REPENT, SINNERS.

mattbob
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mattbob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

The argument that lactation is a common sexual desire is misguided, but I believe it actually comes from a true place. Men probably find breasts to be attractive because they feed their possible children. But for most people, the line is drawn at actually wanting to lactate your sexual partner to turn you on.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 94 guests