0858: "Milk"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

hmmm.... people have boobs... so, could a person be milked?

Market gap? I guess most mothers use their milk for their own offspring, might be hard to get enough to be worth selling on a grand scale.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

User avatar
big boss
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby big boss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

ImTestingSleeping wrote:
tetromino wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.

For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.


Allow me to make a generalization that I believe is true for the majority of men: Lactating is not sexy. Secreting milk is not a turn on.


isnt lactation correlated with increased breast size which=sexy. you can fix your argument with that.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

User avatar
MitraSmit
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby MitraSmit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

I think this would have really worked if there were only the first 3 frames, and the text in the 4th frame replaced the alt-text. I would have liked it a lot that way...
- I don't have time for these bugs
-OK then just leave them out

mattbob
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mattbob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

What. The. Fuck.

Honestly, I was stunned after reading this comic. Since when is lactation something to be attracted to? The joke would work if Randall hadn't implied that a lot of men think this, which is of course absolute bullshit.

It's an attempt at random shock humor that turned into this disturbing pile of shit.

User avatar
Higgs Boson
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Higgs Boson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

I didn't automatically read the guy's thoughts about lactation as sexual. I read it as an example of how sometimes curiosity leads your brain into a weird or inappropriate area. I read the girl's calm reaction as that of someone who is used to the level of weirdness of the guy's usual thoughts and isn't affected by it.

Nothing in the comic explicitly suggests that the thought of lactation turns the guy on. If you decided that because he's thinking about something breast-related that it must inevitably be because it makes him horny that's your issue.

User avatar
Osprei
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Osprei » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

I sort of saw the comic as a more "random weird thoughts go through my head" from Randall instead of just a sexual joke. Similar to various ones about raptors, but with a different subject.

User avatar
senmoonsect
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby senmoonsect » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

i didn't find this sexual, and i wonder why most of you do?

Atkey
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Atkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:
gooley wrote:
mdistancerunner wrote:
gooley wrote:WTF @ her lack of legs in the 3rd panel.


In an interesting phenomenon, females typically feel comfortable in a cross-legged position.


One would assume it to be a difficult position to assume in an armchair.


Not really, in a good lazy boy, it's super comfy and easy to get into (assuming flexibility). Curling up into a comfy chair with a comfy book is awesome. Can't get the same effect with a laptop/smartphone, I'd found. It's sad :( Lucky I have real books to read. Got 1984 and Catch 22 I need to read still, paperback versions ;)


Catch 22 is a fantastic book, truly insane.

Comic was awesome, burst out laughing on the last panel.

User avatar
vookaloop
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby vookaloop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

fucking weird concept

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3487
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

mattbob wrote:Since when is lactation something to be attracted to?

Are you kidding? It makes more sense than foot fetishes, anyway.

The joke would work if Randall hadn't implied that a lot of men think this, which is of course absolute bullshit.

He didn't imply that.

RabbitWho
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

Being attracted by feet makes just as much sense as being attracted by breasts.

Lactation is a bit odd because it's designed for babies. But then it's a bodily fluid, and everybody loves those.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

senmoonsect wrote:i didn't find this sexual, and i wonder why most of you do?


Ask Randall. HE is the webcomic artist who often seems like a hyperactive, immature 14-year-old who just discovered this father's Playboy collection, and the same guy who did masterpieces like this:

Image

NOW you see why people here are creeped out.

User avatar
Bruce Springsteen
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Bruce Springsteen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:53 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
senmoonsect wrote:i didn't find this sexual, and i wonder why most of you do?


Ask Randall. HE is the webcomic artist who often seems like a hyperactive, immature 14-year-old who just discovered this father's Playboy collection, and the same guy who did masterpieces like this:

Image

NOW you see why people here are creeped out.

Randall is just rational enough to realize that a woman's body is beautiful thing, and it does not deserve to be frowned upon nor should we, as a society enlightened by brilliant thinkers such as Lord Munroe here, detest treating it with the respect in which it wholly and rightfully deserves, both in practice and on [digital] paper.

As for the particular comic strip in hand: O M G My paraplegic mother knew I wanted to milk her, too, goomh!
sup
Image

User avatar
whateveries
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby whateveries » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Three pages in and I cant believe no one has posted a link to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtiyNv7zCbQ

I thought it funny. and I have helped my wife to express milk, in the first few weeks after childbirth before the body learns to regulate according to demand there is an over supply and the 'jugs' can overfill, which is painful, I can tell you it is a skill worth having. (and much appreciated) (and not so sexy)(ok...maybe a bit sexy)

myoilu
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby myoilu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 am UTC

maybe it's just me, but it doesn't have to be an armchair, it could be a couch, or a loveseat...

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3487
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:27 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
senmoonsect wrote:i didn't find this sexual, and i wonder why most of you do?


Ask Randall. HE is the webcomic artist who often seems like a hyperactive, immature 14-year-old who just discovered this father's Playboy collection, and the same guy who did masterpieces like this:

Spoiler:
Image


NOW you see why people here are creeped out.

I frankly thought that comic was pretty funny.

You need to chill WAY the fuck out. Maybe you aren't quite ready for the internet.

hatten
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby hatten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I laughed.
There are few comics that everybody of us will appreciate, if you don't, just move on.

ozkidzez91
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:34 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby ozkidzez91 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:32 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:NEGATIVE COMMENT.

NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT.

NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT GENERAL CRITICISM NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT I AM CLEARLY SMARTER AND FUNNIER THAN RANDALL NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT NEGATIVE COMMENT.


Has no one thought that this is simply a male being curious about the body of a female? Doesn't have to be sexual fetishes and the other stuff everyone is mentioning, just because it is about breasts.

I'm sure all of you have had weird thoughts about the body of the other sex, before you had a clear understanding of it.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 am UTC

Magic Molly wrote:Only glasnt could make a thread 10 minutes later than two others and have it still become the main thread.

How so? (when I can be arsed,) I usually just merge the threads into one stupid dollop of idiocy, and whoever posted first goes at the top. There's no favouritism, only smooshing.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

nomaduk
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:24 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby nomaduk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am UTC

The rather astounding level of defensive anger and disgust exhibited by some of the (one presumes) males here makes me (a) once again vaguely embarrassed to be male, (b) wonder why -- or, for that matter, whether -- women put up with them, and (c) what exactly they're afraid of.

Sucking milk from a woman's breast can be amazingly sexy. If you don't find it so, don't worry about it, just shut up. I mean, do you dweebs ever do anything besides a quick missionary position followed by going to sleep? Or anything at all?

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am UTC

nomaduk wrote:I mean, do you dweebs ever do anything besides a quick missionary position followed by going to sleep? Or anything at all?

It all depends on your mom's mood, I guess.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby glasnt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 am UTC

Note: the thread ID is a unique identifier of order of posting. Use the lowest as the main thread until the others are removed.

Also, to the random guy with a bike that I highfived because of his awesome t-shirt:I regret nothing. It is an awesome t-shirt.
Last edited by glasnt on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jswf
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby jswf » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am UTC

The world would be a much better place if people didn't freak out at any mention of something *gasp* sex-related. :|

Also: The TGI Fridays comic is hilarious. It's just pure random humourz, which is part of the essence of xkcd.

Image

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am UTC

The rather astounding level of defensive anger and disgust exhibited by some of the (one presumes) males here makes me [...] (b) wonder why -- or, for that matter, whether -- women put up with them

Well. Uh. Yes.
Actually I'd even prefer a partner who doesn't associate babies stuff with sex since I find babies not very arousing, as probably mentioned before.
This means I will never find a real man like you, doesn't it :(
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

ozkidzez91 wrote:I'm sure all of you have had weird thoughts about the body of the other sex, before you had a clear understanding of it.


Weird thoughts? Why, Randall has LOTS of those! For example:

Image

"Like, nipples, man! That's so... weird!"

I'm starting to see a "pot calling the kettle black" situation here: Randall fans saying other people are awkward about sex? That's kind of like a homophobic Elton John fan.

Aic wrote:Actually I'd even prefer a partner who doesn't associate babies stuff with sex since I find babies not very arousing, as probably mentioned before.


Here's a good place to remind you of Randall's "hilarious" thoughts about babies and children:

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image


Reading your last post, I think you'll never find a "real man" who considers the pinnacle of hilarity to say "shit, we made a baby" and make a Douglas Adams quotation in one of the most important and life-changing events in your life. You're going to be a very sad, unsatisfied woman and you'll regret not giving your breast milk to all the horny males in the world. Shame, shame on you. :(

Emphatic
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Emphatic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

tetromino wrote:For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.


No.

Just no.

I'm a guy and I don't see how this is funny. Boobs are better without milk in a sexual context.

This strip is equivalent to spending a bus journey with your fingers up your arse, then when people give you funny looks, screaming "IT'S NORMAL, EVERYONE DOES IT, OKAY? IT'S NORMAL! I'M NOT WEIRD!"

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mooncow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Emphatic wrote:
tetromino wrote:For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.


No.

Just no.

I'm a guy and I don't see how this is funny.


Emphatic, why not go and have a careful think about the phrase "For some people". OK, we're all thrilled to learn that "some people" does not include you. Great. Thanks for sharing that with us.

What I really do not understand is some people's reactions to, shall we say, "controversial" xkcd comics. By "controversial", I don't mean that they are particularly provocative or edgy; I simply mean comics that some people find funny and other people don't. This is one of those. Please do NOT reply to this saying that there is no way it can be funny, or you can't see how it would be funny --- read back through this thread and you will be forced to concede, whether you like it or not, that SOME PEOPLE FOUND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it. Similarly, I think we can all tell that SOME PEOPLE DID NOT FIND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it.

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mooncow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

And some of the comments from SirMustapha or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob are just out of order. Shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RANDALL" is not funny or interesting or informative. In fact, given that it was already evident that some people did appreciate this comic, such reactions just point up a lack of understanding that people are *different* and different humour appeals to different people.

OK, this comic made me laugh out loud. It appeals to the 14-year-old part of my mentality. So did the TGI Friday's one. Sorry, I can't help that. Some other xkcd comics have not made me laugh, but they clearly made other people laugh, and I don't begrudge them that. I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares, any more than I can see why I should especially care that SirMustapha or Matt or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob don't find this one funny. If someone doesn't find *any* xkcd funny, they should probably go away and find some other way to pass their time. If you don't find them *all* funny, well, enjoy xkcd for the ones you do. If someone DOES find them ALL funny, they probably need psychiatric help, so we can all take some comfort at least....

Randall, please keep up your eclectic and varied comics. I accept that some of them will not make me laugh -- and some might make me downright puzzled -- as the flip-side of the coin that has me laughing out loud at others and awestruck at the pure genius of one or two every now and then. And they are moments I live for.

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mooncow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

marsman57 wrote:I absolutely can't believe some people are trying to give him an 'out' about the leg thing in panel 3.


I'm not sure you've really grasped why we're all here, have you? It's not a question of giving Randall an 'out'. Maybe the legs thing was intentional or maybe Randall just forgot to draw them -- who knows? who cares? Don't get so worked up. Chill, Winston. But there's a long and honourable tradition of 'explaining' quirks, errors, oddities in everything from movies to cartoon strips in line with the canon. Because we *enjoy* it, and find it *amusing*. Yeah, maybe we're sad. So?

OK, so what I think she did, after making the remark about her breasts, was slip off her shoes and pull her legs up onto the sofa or armchair (which probably is a nice soft one). Not crossed, just pulled up under one side. Who hasn't seen a girl do this, especially when the conversation has turned to anything vaguely anatomical...? So my only complaint is: why can't we see her shoes. Perhaps they are off to one side, or were even left in the bedroom and she's been padding around barefoot...

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

ImTestingSleeping wrote:Am... I the only one who has actually never had this thought?

You know, I've often wondered, "How do comedians know their life experiences and thinking processes are universal? And what would happen if they were wrong?" I think that might be what happened with this comic. At least I thought that might be the case, until I read all the LOLs here. Maybe you and I are the ones who are wrong.

By the way, this isn't the first time he's used the "Say something random that won't sound random" gag. It's getting a bit tired, in my opinion.
http://xkcd.com/525/
http://xkcd.com/440/

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Sunidesus wrote:Personally I didn't think it was a lactation=sexy thing. It seemed more like the Calvin & Hobbes strip that someone linked upthread, a random musing.

Something along the lines of: the milk on my cereal is from a cow boob, hmmm.... people have boobs... so, could a person be milked?

The egg on my plate is an unfertilized egg expelled by a chicken. People expel unfertilized eggs..................

MagentaHawk
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby MagentaHawk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Why does he have to have a sexual fetish about her lactating to think about it? That did not enter my mind at all until the forums and even after reading them I am not getting that vibe at all from the comic and there is nothing to hint at it except that you need boobs to do so.

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

I wish I could upthumb some of these comments. There is nothing explicitly sexual about the comic; People think random stuff all the time, and sometimes that intersects with topics involving boobs. Randal, recognizing this, wrote a comic about it. Either appreciate that, or move on with your lives.

I enjoy reading these forums sometimes, because there are a lot of witty people who add humor to an already awesome webcomic. You know what's not enjoyable? The people who complain every week that the comic was bad. If you don't like xkcd, go find another activity you do enjoy. Ranting about how terrible this strip is may be cathartic for you, but it doesn't benefit anyone else, and it just makes this forum tedious to read. Please stop.

I'd love to change the topic to something more positive, but I can't think of any closely enough related to "milking women" to catch hold. Srsly... only on xkcd. :)

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Emphatic wrote:This strip is equivalent to spending a bus journey with your fingers up your arse, then when people give you funny looks, screaming "IT'S NORMAL, EVERYONE DOES IT, OKAY? IT'S NORMAL! I'M NOT WEIRD!"


To be more accurate, the response would have to be "What, you don't do this? Maybe it's because you are a complete freak who doesn't have sex and doesn't like other human beings! Just why are you so full of issues?", but otherwise it's spot on.

mooncow wrote:And some of the comments from SirMustapha or marsman57 or tastelikecoke or mattbob are just out of order. Shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RANDALL" is not funny or interesting or informative.


Since when is it meant to be? When you stub your little toe against the foot of the table, is yelling "ouch" supposed to be "funny, interesting or informative"? It's not, is it? That's exactly what I did there.

mooncow wrote:I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares (...)


What about the people who come here to tell everyone that they find a comic funny? Is that too self-important to you, or is it completely different?

mooncow wrote:back through this thread and you will be forced to concede, whether you like it or not, that SOME PEOPLE FOUND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it. Similarly, I think we can all tell that SOME PEOPLE DID NOT FIND THIS FUNNY. Deal with it.


In other words, "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP HAVING A DEBATE HERE IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE".

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

MagentaHawk wrote:Why does he have to have a sexual fetish about her lactating to think about it? That did not enter my mind at all until the forums and even after reading them I am not getting that vibe at all from the comic and there is nothing to hint at it except that you need boobs to do so.


For me, this would be:
a) the age of the protagonists, I didn't assume it would be likely for adults to not know about the topic in question, thus found her answer rather...sarcastic? (Is that the word? It's used differently in English.) ...But when I think about it now, you can strike that one out.
b) the place where the subject was broached (which would be "the fun part of the interwebs" and not an elementary school where his question most likely would be taken srsly)
c) other peoples feedback that substantiated my faint impression.

(That was a mere explanation, not an argumentation.)
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3487
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Image

Hawker Hedin
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Hawker Hedin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Personally, I think it's a bit silly that some of you are shocked by this. I found it to be not that funny, but all in all, no big deal. Even if the character is into lactation (which is by no means the only way to read this, and doesn't strongly imply a sexual preference in the author), so what? Someones fetish doesn't have to be either arousing to you personally or else revolting. It's okay to just not be into it. On the internet freaky 1 to 10 scale, it's like a 1.2.

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares (...)


What about the people who come here to tell everyone that they find a comic funny? Is that too self-important to you, or is it completely different?

Actually, that's a little tedious too... but at least it's not angry and negative. When one of your FB friends posts "X happened, and it was awesome", and another posts that "their life sucks and everyone should pity them", which do you prefer to read? This is even one step removed, since I don't have a clue who you are. Frankly, I'm a little surprised I'm having to explain this... Feel free to not like the comic, but saying so here contributes nothing and assumes everyone else should care; Do it if you like, but know that it's nothing but a downer for everyone looking for interesting content.

Aic wrote:For me, this would be:
a) the age of the protagonists, I didn't assume it would be likely for adults to not know about the topic in question

Just because he's thinking about it doesn't mean he lacks understanding of her anatomy. I think about crazy things all the time that I know are impossible. Like dragons. He's also a guy, and may not have put much thought into how that part of the female body works, and further, other posters have pointed out that it is, indeed, possible under the right circumstances. I can see how this line of thought could lead you to assuming the panel was sexual in nature, but I think that would be a wrong assumption to make. Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dp2 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

mannjess wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
mooncow wrote:I do not feel the need to come to this forum and tell everyone when I don't happen to find one comic funny. I'm not self-important enough to think that anyone cares (...)


What about the people who come here to tell everyone that they find a comic funny? Is that too self-important to you, or is it completely different?

Actually, that's a little tedious too... but at least it's not angry and negative. When one of your FB friends posts "X happened, and it was awesome", and another posts that "their life sucks and everyone should pity them", which do you prefer to read? This is even one step removed, since I don't have a clue who you are. Frankly, I'm a little surprised I'm having to explain this... Feel free to not like the comic, but saying so here contributes nothing and assumes everyone else should care; Do it if you like, but know that it's nothing but a downer for everyone looking for interesting content.

Aic wrote:For me, this would be:
a) the age of the protagonists, I didn't assume it would be likely for adults to not know about the topic in question

Just because he's thinking about it doesn't mean he lacks understanding of her anatomy. I think about crazy things all the time that I know are impossible. Like dragons. He's also a guy, and may not have put much thought into how that part of the female body works, and further, other posters have pointed out that it is, indeed, possible under the right circumstances. I can see how this line of thought could lead you to assuming the panel was sexual in nature, but I think that would be a wrong assumption to make. Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes.

So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

mannjess
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam, NY

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby mannjess » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:So the male in this comic thinks about milking a woman, non-sexually, 40-50% of the time, and the woman knows this even though he's never said anything about it (if he had, he wouldn't think she was psychic). I get it even less now.

As a joke, I doubt the title text was meant to be taken literally. Besides which, as I said above: Boobs are a part of life absent sex, and thinking about them occasionally is pretty normal, also absent weird fetishes. Yes, this wouldn't happen in reality. That's part of what makes it funny.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KittenKaboodle and 93 guests