0860: "Never Do This"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
KShrike
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby KShrike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

najodleglejszy wrote:
Duban wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Here is a nice thought for you; before your kidneys filter out your urine, it is in your bloodstream. Every time your heart beats, it is pushing urine throughout your entire body. Right now, urine is flowing through your arms, your lips, your eyes and your brain.

Honestly, everything about us is disgusting. If we weren't hard-wired to seek out a mate, we would be repulsed by the idea of mixing genitalia, especially when it involves being so close to someone else's waste disposal.

Of all the bodily fluids out there Urine is the cleanest I can think of. The ammonia content tends to be fairly hostile to bacteria.


the ammonia content in human urine is almost nonexistent, there's urea instead of it. and by the way there are bacteria that absorb nitrogen and convert it to ammonia. and they do NOT die from it.


w/e. I'm just kinda upset that Valentine's day's comic had to involve Rule 34.

Today is the day of purity on Facebook. Now Randall has put bad thoughts in my head.

edit (again, sorry): Not to mention that when we were very young, we would run away from the opposite sex because of some made-up disease by the name of Cuties (or however you spell it.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

User avatar
DennyMo
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby DennyMo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

We have some high-powered microscopes and stereoscopes in our labs at work, you really don't want to look at your cuticles under magnification, either. Especially if you think you take good care of them...

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

At work, we got a UV lamp (blacklight) in order to identify CRTs with residual images (burn-in). On a whim, I took it into one of the bathrooms to see if I could spot any "body fluids" like on TV.

Never, *EVER* do that.

Spoiler:
I was not surprised to find that I could. I was somewhat surprised at the quantity and locations.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

User avatar
najodleglejszy
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby najodleglejszy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:(or however you spell it.



*twitch*

Alltat
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Alltat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

najodleglejszy wrote:
KShrike wrote:(or however you spell it.



*twitch*

)

There you go! And I guess an extra one to cover for you quoting it:

)

User avatar
najodleglejszy
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby najodleglejszy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Alltat wrote:
najodleglejszy wrote:
KShrike wrote:(or however you spell it.



*twitch*

)

There you go! And I guess an extra one to cover for you quoting it:

)


thank you.

ElectricTurtle
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby ElectricTurtle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

najodleglejszy wrote:
Duban wrote:Of all the bodily fluids out there Urine is the cleanest I can think of. The ammonia content tends to be fairly hostile to bacteria.


the ammonia content in human urine is almost nonexistent, there's urea instead of it. and by the way there are bacteria that absorb nitrogen and convert it to ammonia. and they do NOT die from it.


That people think bacteria categorically are equivalent to "dirty" or "harmful" is itself an ignorant conceit. There are more microorganisms in every human being than human cells. There are bacteria in the digestive tract without which it would be difficult if not impossible to process many foods. The reason that women frequently get yeast infections after an antibiotic regimen is that it destabilizes the balance between the yeast and bacteria by killing the bacteria. The simple fact is some bacteria are good for humans, and most have no significant effect one way or the other, so stop squirming around the issue like a bunch of preschoolers worried about cooties.

Meagen
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:26 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Meagen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Is this whole "being completely disgusted by normal bodily functions" an American thing? I bet it's all the marketing. After all, what better way to sell a new kind of cleaning product than convincing the populace that some innocuous thing they've never given a second thought is the grossest thing ever and they need to get rid of it right now. Goes well with the whole "the human body is disgusting and sinful" Puritan ethic.

And then you have Americans saying how European people are completely gross because get this- they take only *FIVE* showers a day! Sometimes *four*! And sometimes... *ominous pause* ...they put on the SAME SHIRT AFTERWARDS! (Eeew! Ick! Where's my Dettol? I may never feel clean again!)

User avatar
ganglion
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby ganglion » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Fingernail dirt porn does exist, but it's for dust mites.

User avatar
jc
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby jc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:If we weren't hard-wired to seek out a mate, we would be repulsed by the idea of mixing genitalia, especially when it involves being so close to someone else's waste disposal.


Some time ago, I read a joke whose premise was people suggesting what God's original occupation was, before getting involved in universe creation. The punch line was that God was a civic engineer, because who else would design a waste disposal system that ran through a playground?

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

ElectricTurtle wrote:That people think bacteria categorically are equivalent to "dirty" or "harmful" is itself an ignorant conceit. There are more microorganisms in every human being than human cells.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but that second sentence there seems dubious. Unless human cells weigh significantly more than most single-cell organisms?
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Whys
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Whys » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

I modified mine so I can focus it on my reef aquarium sandbed.

colovelo
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby colovelo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

As previously mentioned, The Secret House: http://amzn.com/067160032X. I somehow picked up a copy when I was a kid and still have it. I loaned it to my microbiologist gf recently. I'm surprised more of you geeks haven't heard of it.

P.S. Why can't I use the [url] tag in the forums?

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

A friend of mine had me look at some magnified images of human eyes. The pupil, as it turns out, is not a part of the eye that is black, but actually a hole in the eyeball that lets light in, like the shutter of a camera. That makes perfect sense given the way the thing acts in response to higher or lower light and the way vision works, but it's still a little unsettling to see. Especially when you see the iris around it, which seems to be made of woven organic material. VERY scary.

CorruptUser wrote:Here is a nice thought for you; before your kidneys filter out your urine, it is in your bloodstream. Every time your heart beats, it is pushing urine throughout your entire body. Right now, urine is flowing through your arms, your lips, your eyes and your brain.

Honestly, everything about us is disgusting. If we weren't hard-wired to seek out a mate, we would be repulsed by the idea of mixing genitalia, especially when it involves being so close to someone else's waste disposal.

You ever seen a shaven vagina up close? Kinda gross, to be honest.

colovelo wrote:As previously mentioned, The Secret House: http://amzn.com/067160032X. I somehow picked up a copy when I was a kid and still have it. I loaned it to my microbiologist gf recently. I'm surprised more of you geeks haven't heard of it.

P.S. Why can't I use the [url] tag in the forums?

You have a low post count. It's to keep spambots out, or at least deter their efforts; a user account is not considered "trustworthy" enough to link to other pages until it has a significant number of posts. Don't worry about it though, you'll have enough posts to post links eventually.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Iakobus1
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Iakobus1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
ElectricTurtle wrote:That people think bacteria categorically are equivalent to "dirty" or "harmful" is itself an ignorant conceit. There are more microorganisms in every human being than human cells.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but that second sentence there seems dubious. Unless human cells weigh significantly more than most single-cell organisms?


It's a cold, hard fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flora

P.S. I created an account to post this because someone was being wrong on the internet.

P.P.S. That was just a joke and I mean no offence, DragonHawk.

User avatar
meat.paste
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby meat.paste » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Assuming the Secret House is this, then rule 34 should involve the bosons having an orgy again..
Huh? What?

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

The second panel of this comic reminds me of this:

http://nedroid.com/2011/02/advice-about-comics/

User avatar
DragonHawk
Posts: 457
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: NH, US, Earth
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

colovelo wrote:P.S. Why can't I use the [url] tag in the forums?

Your account is considered too new. It's an anti-spam measure.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Superisis
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Superisis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Meagen wrote:Is this whole "being completely disgusted by normal bodily functions" an American thing? I bet it's all the marketing. After all, what better way to sell a new kind of cleaning product than convincing the populace that some innocuous thing they've never given a second thought is the grossest thing ever and they need to get rid of it right now. Goes well with the whole "the human body is disgusting and sinful" Puritan ethic.

And then you have Americans saying how European people are completely gross because get this- they take only *FIVE* showers a day! Sometimes *four*! And sometimes... *ominous pause* ...they put on the SAME SHIRT AFTERWARDS! (Eeew! Ick! Where's my Dettol? I may never feel clean again!)



People seem to confuse health (something measurable) with cleanliness (an state of mind). The two are very distinct (and many times at odds). It's always fun to see people do the unhealthy option in the name of cleanliness.

Gruner
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Gruner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
ElectricTurtle wrote:That people think bacteria categorically are equivalent to "dirty" or "harmful" is itself an ignorant conceit. There are more microorganisms in every human being than human cells.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but that second sentence there seems dubious. Unless human cells weigh significantly more than most single-cell organisms?
On average, human cells do weigh more than bacteria. There are about ten times as many bacteria as human cells, but they only contribute about 2to 9% of our weight.

some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flora
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/208733.html (I know Google answers isn't generally a great source, but this one has good citations)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-humans-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones&page=2

The Sci Am article is interesting because it brings up the point that some of our DNA apparently originated in bacteria, though they don't know how the genes got transferred to humans.

User avatar
buddy431
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby buddy431 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
ElectricTurtle wrote:That people think bacteria categorically are equivalent to "dirty" or "harmful" is itself an ignorant conceit. There are more microorganisms in every human being than human cells.

Not that I disagree with your basic premise, but that second sentence there seems dubious. Unless human cells weigh significantly more than most single-cell organisms?


Human cells do weigh significantly more than bacteria cells, and there's about an order of magnitude more bacteria cells in the gut than human cells in the body: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora>. That being said, urine typically is truly sterile, it's stuff that comes out of the other hole that's full of bacteria (people typically say that about 1/3-2/3 the dry weight of poop is bacteria, mostly E. coli).
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

User avatar
Karilyn
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Karilyn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Superisis wrote:
Meagen wrote:Is this whole "being completely disgusted by normal bodily functions" an American thing? I bet it's all the marketing. After all, what better way to sell a new kind of cleaning product than convincing the populace that some innocuous thing they've never given a second thought is the grossest thing ever and they need to get rid of it right now. Goes well with the whole "the human body is disgusting and sinful" Puritan ethic.

And then you have Americans saying how European people are completely gross because get this- they take only *FIVE* showers a day! Sometimes *four*! And sometimes... *ominous pause* ...they put on the SAME SHIRT AFTERWARDS! (Eeew! Ick! Where's my Dettol? I may never feel clean again!)



People seem to confuse health (something measurable) with cleanliness (an state of mind). The two are very distinct (and many times at odds). It's always fun to see people do the unhealthy option in the name of cleanliness.

Spoiler Warning: This post is absolutely disgusting.

Spoiler:
I wear the same clothes for a month or so before changing them. If I'm having a good month, I'll shower weekly... maybe. I don't think I've washed my hands in 18 years, nor brushed my teeth in 11 years. Me and my partner have sex every other day in our bed; I do not remember the last time we washed our bedsheets. My partner usually showers every day, but likewise will generally wear the same pair of clothes for a month.


ARE WE HEALTHY WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY UNCLEAN?
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

User avatar
KShrike
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby KShrike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

najodleglejszy wrote:
Alltat wrote:
najodleglejszy wrote:
KShrike wrote:(or however you spell it.



*twitch*

)

There you go! And I guess an extra one to cover for you quoting it:

)


thank you.


I almost cried when I forgot to close the parenthesis, but I didn't want to edit it a second time. I'm SORRY!!!!!

Especially after the discussion on This comic: http://xkcd.com/859/ )
I added a close paren, so the comic would not cause an error.
jc wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:If we weren't hard-wired to seek out a mate, we would be repulsed by the idea of mixing genitalia, especially when it involves being so close to someone else's waste disposal.


Some time ago, I read a joke whose premise was people suggesting what God's original occupation was, before getting involved in universe creation. The punch line was that God was a civic engineer, because who else would design a waste disposal system that ran through a playground?


Ok. One problem though. In terms of whether or not God exists, if He does, then you must assume his values. We don't consider it much of a playground for everyone, just rather a sanctuary of pleasure between two (and only two), each being of the opposite sex.

And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)

Sorry that I sprung my beliefs on this topic out of nowhere, it's just by having a contradicting view ("God exists, but it's a playground, so...") I started to cringe.

Though I will laugh at the fact that it is a good joke. I will admit: that cracked me up. :lol:
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

PeterOB
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby PeterOB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

The science writer, Ben Goldacre, said that there is a very soulful moment in your life when you look through a microscope to see your own sperm swimming around...

Turing Machine
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:48 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Turing Machine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Meagen wrote:Is this whole "being completely disgusted by normal bodily functions" an American thing? I bet it's all the marketing. After all, what better way to sell a new kind of cleaning product than convincing the populace that some innocuous thing they've never given a second thought is the grossest thing ever and they need to get rid of it right now. Goes well with the whole "the human body is disgusting and sinful" Puritan ethic.

And then you have Americans saying how European people are completely gross because get this- they take only *FIVE* showers a day! Sometimes *four*! And sometimes... *ominous pause* ...they put on the SAME SHIRT AFTERWARDS! (Eeew! Ick! Where's my Dettol? I may never feel clean again!)


sometimes anti-americanism just makes no sense

here is one of those times

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby meatyochre » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

One time in my college dorm, I got paired with an exchange student from Ireland for a semester. We didn't have air conditioning in the dorm and she only showered once a week. The entire place smelled very strongly of rancid hot potatoes until she moved out.

I wish I was exaggerating.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5475
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:Ok. One problem though. In terms of whether or not God exists, if He does, then you must assume his values. We don't consider it much of a playground for everyone, just rather a sanctuary of pleasure between two (and only two), each being of the opposite sex.

And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)

Sorry that I sprung my beliefs on this topic out of nowhere, it's just by having a contradicting view ("God exists, but it's a playground, so...") I started to cringe.


The version of the joke I heard circumvents this problem: three engineers are arguing at lunch one day about what kind of engineer designed the human body. The mechanical engineer says it was one of his kind and cites the skeletal and muscular system as evidence. The electrical engineer claims it was one of his kind and cites the nervous system and brain as evidence. The civil engineer says it was one of his kind and says "Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational zone?"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

I don't use ancient technology like microscopes -- I always use my anopticon.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)


But if you have sex with someone who had sex with someone who had sex with you, aren't you having sex with yourself?

kingbob
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby kingbob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
KShrike wrote:And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)


But if you have sex with someone who had sex with someone who had sex with you, aren't you having sex with yourself?


i would just say that you just had sex with two different people...

ElectricTurtle
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby ElectricTurtle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)


To be blunt, that's chauvinist nonsense. Once the male gametes "die" ("cease motility" technically, as they don't count as independent life) they will be consumed by the surrounding microorganisms and the female's own immune system. There's a reason why DNA testing can only happen in a limited window when the sample has to come from inside a woman. The pH of the environment can even cause the gametes to lose structural integrity before they would otherwise cease motility. The simple fact is that it doesn't take long for all traces of intact genetic material from the male to disappear.

Skeinchug
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Skeinchug » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

kingbob wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
KShrike wrote:And, if you think of it in the secular point of view, by having sex with someone who has been promiscuous, you are doing every guy she's been with (ya, gross.)


But if you have sex with someone who had sex with someone who had sex with you, aren't you having sex with yourself?


i would just say that you just had sex with two different people...


If the second person knew about the prior sexin' and was thinking in those terms he/she would realize that you are a terrible lover (having already had sex with you) and find someone else.

User avatar
Osprei
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Osprei » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

In terms of whether or not God exists, if He does, then you must assume his values. We don't consider it much of a playground for everyone, just rather a sanctuary of pleasure between two (and only two), each being of the opposite sex.


Excuse me but we? I think you're kind of making an assumption that the God mentioned is the one you believe in. If a God (singular) exists, then it could be any one of the many monotheistic beliefs from around the world. That's not even taking into account all of the polytheistic religions that could have a God (referring to one out of many).

You are perfectly entitled to your own views, of course, but please don't try to make generalizations about them to everyone who believes in a God.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby bmonk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

Let's see--got the God as engineer (or professional) joke, got the bacteria outnumbering human cells factoid. Only one original thought left:

Another gross-out--and likely to get you banned from the school cafeteria: Don't go checking in high school biology class for what sort of organisms live on the cafeteria equipment with a Petri dish of culture...

I know from experience.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

lafona
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby lafona » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

I call rule 35 on that evocation of rule 34

imantodes
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:52 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby imantodes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:06 am UTC

This image seems appropriate:

Image

I'd been camping for a few days so, yes, my fingernail hygiene was somewhat sub-par.

frogthroat
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 am UTC
Location: TBA

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby frogthroat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Rule 34 fulfilled:
http://johnfriedmann.com/biogloss/fission.gif

User avatar
KShrike
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby KShrike » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Osprei wrote:
KShrike wrote:In terms of whether or not God exists, if He does, then you must assume his values. We don't consider it much of a playground for everyone, just rather a sanctuary of pleasure between two (and only two), each being of the opposite sex.


Excuse me but we? I think you're kind of making an assumption that the God mentioned is the one you believe in. If a God (singular) exists, then it could be any one of the many monotheistic beliefs from around the world. That's not even taking into account all of the polytheistic religions that could have a God (referring to one out of many).

You are perfectly entitled to your own views, of course, but please don't try to make generalizations about them to everyone who believes in a God.


I apologize.
ElectricTurtle wrote:
To be blunt, that's chauvinist nonsense. Once the male gametes "die" ("cease motility" technically, as they don't count as independent life) they will be consumed by the surrounding microorganisms and the female's own immune system. There's a reason why DNA testing can only happen in a limited window when the sample has to come from inside a woman. The pH of the environment can even cause the gametes to lose structural integrity before they would otherwise cease motility. The simple fact is that it doesn't take long for all traces of intact genetic material from the male to disappear.


Interesting. I didn't know that.

@Pfhorrest: lol
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

User avatar
Osprei
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby Osprei » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
Osprei wrote:
KShrike wrote:In terms of whether or not God exists, if He does, then you must assume his values. We don't consider it much of a playground for everyone, just rather a sanctuary of pleasure between two (and only two), each being of the opposite sex.


Excuse me but we? I think you're kind of making an assumption that the God mentioned is the one you believe in. If a God (singular) exists, then it could be any one of the many monotheistic beliefs from around the world. That's not even taking into account all of the polytheistic religions that could have a God (referring to one out of many).

You are perfectly entitled to your own views, of course, but please don't try to make generalizations about them to everyone who believes in a God.


I apologize.


Thank you, most people don't have the courage to do that.

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: 0860: "Never Do This"

Postby StClair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:49 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:You ever seen a shaven vagina up close?

I can understand why you think you need to phrase that as a question, considering the audience, but this is the internet.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chridd, measure and 92 guests