0862: "Let Go"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hjordis

Re: 0862: "Let Go"

Postby hjordis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 am UTC

Jedifreak wrote:
Lewton wrote:Me, I just useStay focusd
Is there something like that for Firefox?

Yeah, as mentioned above, leechblock does the same thing. I just installed it two days ago, and it worked fine yesterday, but today I got distracted and looked at office supplies then took handwriting analysis tests. I did all this in Japanese(which I was supposed to be studying) though, so close enough.

thegamedesigner

Postby thegamedesigner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:41 am UTC

I don't want to block various sites, because I still want to access them sometimes. What I want is to break the habit of clicking on them in a moment of weakness.

Mattman wrote:I broke this habit in a day by decoupling the action and the neurological reward.

Does anyone know how do implement a 30-second delay? Even just for the entire browser?

llwang

Postby llwang » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 am UTC

Wow, this is so me. I'm kinda relieved I'm not the only one. Gotta try that 30-second idea in the alt text.. How do you do it exactly?

bundat

Postby bundat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:45 am UTC

Funny... this is sorta like what I have right now.

At home, my connection is quite slow (I use a usb 3g modem) and I can stay focused because most sites take too long to load to keep me interested and distracted (around 30 seconds sounds about right).

Whereas if I am at a cybercafe or some other place with fast internet, the hours just pass by without me even noticing.

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 am UTC

thegamedesigner wrote:I don't want to block various sites, because I still want to access them sometimes. What I want is to break the habit of clicking on them in a moment of weakness.

That's what StayFocusd helps me with, you don't block sites completely. You set an amount of time you allow yourself to "waste" each day, then you blacklist sites and then whenever you visit blacklisted sites it eats up your time. When you run out of time, blacklisted sites get blocked.

This has helped me cut down on the amount of times I go to facebook (and other such sites) without thinking about it... And when I do, I only do it very briefly because there's always this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I'm eating up precious time.

Aaand... I'm off, as the clock is ticking ;)

thegamedesigner

Postby thegamedesigner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 am UTC

Again, I don't want to limit my internet per day or block it. I'm a self-published indie developer, and twitter & facebook can be accessed for work reasons several times a day.

What I want is to not associate instant reward with going to facebook. But in the reverse, if I get an email saying I've received a facebook message that (for work reasons) I want to reply to, I don't want to be cut off until tomorrow. And if I can easily get past the block to do this, then it's not much of a block.

But with a short delay, I'm not going to bother with any method to get around it, because it's easier to just wait 30 seconds.
Last edited by thegamedesigner on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dorus

Postby dorus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 am UTC

this a good one :D

dael

Postby dael » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am UTC

Please make this software available! I use an internet blocker sometimes, but I need access to my email, etc for work.

It can be added to the xkcd store!

mardytam

Postby mardytam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Perhaps this would be of use to the developer of a Greasemonkey delay script: http://ajaxblog.com/archives/2005/09/23/simulating-latency-with-greasemonkey

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 am UTC

How much for the cure! Give it to us. Why won't you let us live! RANDALLLLLLLLLL!
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

jswf

Postby jswf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 am UTC

I'm like this except with webcomics.

It would be nice to have a Firefox (4) addon that only allows access to a website once a day, at a specific hour. Then I would be cured! :)

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 am UTC

neuromancer wrote:Rats will press a lever hundreds of times to get a single drop of alcohol. A more effective strategy would be to set up an automatic electric shock when you attempt to access Facebook or other time-wasting sites. Or you could set up a redirect to Goatse.

But that's mostly true on an irregular reward reinforcement schedule, and the rats/monkeys/pigeons would tolerate the electric shock punishment in the hopes of being rewarded after such a system. A regular system of rewards tended to produce a decrease in lever pressing over time.

Honestly, I think that's why this type of procrastination is so addictive in the first place - a lot of the time, there's nothing terribly interesting on Reddit/CNN/random stickfigure webcomic, but every now and then there's something brilliant - our brains keep hoping that the next click will be the one to deliver the payload, and so we keep clicking like crazy.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:32 am UTC

Why am I not surprised that the alt-text is attracting more attention than the actual comic?

Synaesthesia242

Postby Synaesthesia242 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 am UTC

Brilliant idea. I'm using a Mac, for all you Mac users, just use Applescript. Here's the code:

Code: Select all

delay 30
tell application "Safari" to activate

bencw

Postby bencw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 am UTC

mardytam wrote:Perhaps this would be of use to the developer of a Greasemonkey delay script

Had posted a similar thought previously, then distracted myself trying to see how easy Greasemonkey and javascript actually are and put together a very rough script with some stolen code from a "javascript delay" google search. Turns out it's pretty simple!

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name           Delay
// @namespace      C:\
// @description    Delay some time before page loads
// @include        *facebook*
// @include        *youtube*
// @include        *xkcd*
// ==/UserScript==
pauseJS(30000);

function pauseJS(timeInMilliS) {
var date = new Date();
var curDate = null;
do { curDate = new Date(); }
while(curDate-date < timeInMilliS);
}

Seems to work ok, could probably be cleaned up and more intelligent, espescially as it runs more with pages with frames.
All the "@include" lines tell greasemonkey where to run the script, so effectively are a filter (and there's also a "@exclude" for more blanket delay applications...). Oh, and don't ask me what the namespace does, it forced me to put one in so I told it my HD! Probably if it comes to publishing scripts.
The number in pauseJS(TIME) is in milliseconds, so punish yourself how you like.

Oh, also the first time I tried this (and got something wrong somewhere) I managed to hang my browser for a bit too long, so be careful and I did warn you... I'm no JS expert, I'm just borrowing code that's easy to understand.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 am UTC

My problem is browsing the web from work. They block high profile time-wasters like penny arcade, facebook, email clients, and WoW forums... but they fail to block xkcd forums or the Straight Dope msg boards. And in over 2 years of wasting time on websites, I've never ONCE received anything more than a stern glare from one manager. My own manager is so oblivious he doesn't notice my shitty productivity. Or so clueless that he doesn't care, I'm not sure which.

To be fair, I think I would benefit more from a tool that would turn off all the fun sites at bedtime. Because I should have gone to bed a while ago but here I am...
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Synaesthesia242

Postby Synaesthesia242 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Hmm. My solution isn't that great. If you change your mind within the 30 seconds, you can't quit the script. Just taught myself Applescript because of this comic :lol:

Egregius

Postby Egregius » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

I once read someone blocked time-waster sites in his Windows host file. Basically, if he wanted to start browsing time-waster sites again, he'd first have to find his hosts file and replace it with the 'default' one before he could visit them, which provided the delay. The hosts file could of course be replaced with a modified one on startup.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:My problem is browsing the web from work. They block high profile time-wasters like penny arcade, facebook, email clients, and WoW forums... but they fail to block xkcd forums or the Straight Dope msg boards. And in over 2 years of wasting time on websites, I've never ONCE received anything more than a stern glare from one manager. My own manager is so oblivious he doesn't notice my shitty productivity. Or so clueless that he doesn't care, I'm not sure which.

Most corporations have settled on passive tracking of employee website visits coupled with active firewall blocking of the worst time-wasting ones (except for ESPN, because it has been demonstrated to be impossible to block ESPN without more than a handful of execs bitching) and of course pr0n because HR complains otherwise. Rather than actively monitor everyone's usage, it's really just there if a case needs to be built against someone to let them go.

I've tried something similar to Randall's approach recently, and I've found that I end up launching solitaire or freecell. Sometimes there truly is no cure.

HalfWayDownTheStairs

Postby HalfWayDownTheStairs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

I recently took an extreme approach and banned myself completely from Facebook for a month. It got easier after the first week or two. It actually made me mildly more productive (though I've found myself browsing other sites I wouldn't normally bother with.) It's now been two days since the end of the month and I've still not bothered to go back on.
Ok, who ate the Peanut of Doom?

Whys

Postby Whys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

Generally for me, doing anything truly useful also involves opening on the fly a multitude of unanticipated web pages. It's my thought process visualized and it's delayed enough already. :)

sunspeck

Postby sunspeck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Another +1 for Leechblock. Even more for just disconnecting the Interwebs entirely when I need to get some serious work done. Have also changed the FB password to something ridiculous to invoke the laziness about not wanting to bother getting the password changed back to something I could remember.

jordan314

Postby jordan314 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

You could do this with a PHP proxy. Sleep(30) and then serve the requested site. The proxy could be set up on a web server or on your localhost. Then you could either use the proxy in the browser settings, in the OS network settings, or point to the proxy for certain sites in your hosts file.
I'm tempted to do this right now, but it's 5 AM and I've spent most of the night on Reddit (which brought me here!). Have to try willpower first, but will post back if I make this.

edoloughlin

Postby edoloughlin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

I've created a Greasemonkey script, adapted from Gina Trapani's old Invisibility Cloak script. It blanks the page for 30 seconds. Unfortunately, it runs after page load so you get a tantalising gimplse, which I hope won't motiviate people to wait!

The script is at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/97279

As per Gina's orginal, it stops blanking pages after 5pm. This, and the list of sites can be changed by editing the script.

Enjoy,
Ed O'Loughlin

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

I don't have this issue - I just have a really slow connection :(
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

xepher

Postby xepher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Now Randall doesn't even have to make a joke at all.

Well, shit.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

xepher wrote:Now Randall doesn't even have to make a joke at all.

Well, shit.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that Luke is surfing Reddit and CNN while attacking the Death Star. The overt familiarity with the scene in question as well as discussion of the alt-text has obscured that fact.

yodi

Postby yodi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

I used to think that this was the reason it was a good thing I still had an iPhone 3G. The problem with this is that the 3G has taught me patience, and now, instead of each Facebook check taking 20 seconds, it takes 3 minutes.

(Oh, and why did it take me three tries to figure out that given my age I should probably click 'before this date 1998' when signing up?)

alexxx

Postby alexxx » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

It has been a problem for a lot of time for me too,
but what I was dreaming about was something a bit more radical.

My hope is that someone will develop an entire desktop environment single-tasking-like, inhibiting the possibility to switch out from a given application, for a given time.
The reason being that I'm perfectly able to become completely non-productive even without firefox: just give me a terminal and I'll launch nethack without thinking...

alessandro

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

People seem to have missed the actual point of the alt joke, i.e. the final few words.

Grumimp

Postby Grumimp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Great advice - only now that I use Rockmelt my full immersion into the social network and my many feeds is so complete and streamlined that I fear I will never escape.

Naigewron

Postby Naigewron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:People seem to have missed the actual point of the alt joke, i.e. the final few words.

I think most people got it, but the overall theme just hit everyone right in the chest, so that's what we ended up discussing 8)

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Naigewron wrote:
dp2 wrote:People seem to have missed the actual point of the alt joke, i.e. the final few words.

I think most people got it, but the overall theme just hit everyone right in the chest, so that's what we ended up discussing 8)

But the point is that it didn't change anything. So why does everyone want to do it?

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Naigewron wrote:

But the point is that it didn't change anything. So why does everyone want to do it?

Just because it didn't work for one person, doesn't mean it won't work for others.

One of the things I've tried doing is RSSing all the feed-based sites on to one page. While I find myself checking that page more often, it cuts down on my distractability (since I'll be able to vet once whether there's new content worth reading at multiple sites). The problem is that RSS can be inconsistent, so if a feed isn't currently working, it's hard to resist going to the site to check.

Skeinchug

Postby Skeinchug » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

chrth wrote: I've tried something similar to Randall's approach recently, and I've found that I end up launching solitaire or freecell. Sometimes there truly is no cure.

The problem with a 30 second delay is that you are still going to be wasting time checking all those sites. If I did it I would probably end up opening every page I want to visit in a new tab. When I want to refresh I would refresh them all.

I would spend all my time cycling through webcomics even if I knew they didn't update that day. I needed one web page that would distill all the information in one spot and tell me if there was a new update. I remembered that google had a personal, customizable homepage that was free. What I found was exactly what I needed.

A web portal.

I found apps that allowed me to RSS feed my comics and two news sites, a yahoo mail app so I could see when I got a new e-mail, and an app that opened a web page for the one that I couldn't RSS. Now if I want to see if there's an update on all the sites I visit I just scroll down one page.

My productivity has increased by about 90%

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Alt-alt-text: "Social networking is the path to the dark side. Social networking leads to fear. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Did nobody think that, or something similar to how you could use the Force to combat Reddit/Facebook?
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

Ambignostic

Postby Ambignostic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Lewton wrote:Me, I just use Stay focusd

If only it the extension been named "Stay On Target."

Ambignostic

Postby Ambignostic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

The final few words are "and my 'productive' computer use was unaffected." So he applied the delay to time-wasting sites, but his actual work was not impacted by the delay. What point do you feel we are missing?

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Skeinchug wrote:A web portal.

I found apps that allowed me to RSS feed my comics and two news sites, a yahoo mail app so I could see when I got a new e-mail, and an app that opened a web page for the one that I couldn't RSS. Now if I want to see if there's an update on all the sites I visit I just scroll down one page.

My productivity has increased by about 90%

yeah, I mentioned that in the post above yours. but when those rss feeds say "no new content for the past two months", how do you resist the urge to go check?

resu427

Postby resu427 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

I set up a simple 30-second delay I had to wait through, in which I couldn't do anything else, before any new page or chat client would load

Get out of Nick Denton's head Randal!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”