0869: "Server Attention Span"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sbosman

Re: 0869: "Server Attention Span"

Postby sbosman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 am UTC

I fixed this for most sites on my android phone by changing settings so that I don't get redirected to the mobile version of the site and now gawker sites like io9.com redirect me to the UK version of the site, i.e. uk.io9.com (again losing the article information) - sometimes you just can't win.

This is mainly down to their daft use of "#!" to identify the article - the # content can't survive a redirect.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 am UTC

I don't even have a smartphone, and this irritates me. Just for the random occasions I have used someone else's smartphone and run into this problem. Seriously, if I wanted the mobile version of your site, I'd have fucking used the mobile version.

ritvax wrote:
mschmidt62 wrote:Server sounds sorta like Randy the Bandicoot.

QCXKCD CROSSOVER!!!!

XQCD?
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

MitraSmit

Postby MitraSmit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Is there a way for the standard android browser to act like a normal browser? (edit: hmm, about:useragent does this but resets every time)

It's sad to see how website builders believe a mobile site is the future. The future is almost there, and it's a smartphone that works just as well as a desktop computer. If anything, a mobile website might want to place some buttons further away from each other, but that's it. Don't change anything else.
Last edited by MitraSmit on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- I don't have time for these bugs
-OK then just leave them out

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

danix wrote:Heh. What most people fail to realize is that all websites act the same way. :shock: You're always opening connections to ask for documents; closing them as they are loaded.
Not true; modern versions of HTTP feature keep-alive, which reuses connections rather than going off and making new ones. Still lacks any sense of state, though.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

So this is what the "connection to the server reset while your page was loading" error means... there must be a lot of short-attention-span servers out there. I guess it comes with the clock speed.

EhloVader

Postby EhloVader » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Randall must have been on lifehacker recently. It gets even worse when you're not in the US, when you get the worthless redirects even from desktop browsers.

This lifehacker situation has been plaguing me since it started. I hate it.

Pulse, on android suffers from it too, I only get to read what content the feed has, since going to original article always takes you to the main mobile site.

It also appears to happen on TMZ...

On a side note.. Lifehacker appears to have fixed it. Could that be a response to this comic?

zAlbee

Postby zAlbee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 am UTC

danix wrote:Heh. What most people fail to realize is that all websites act the same way. :shock: You're always opening connections to ask for documents; closing them as they are loaded. Session state is preserved by cookies; it is a hackjob put into a protocol that was never meant to support stateful conversations.

The crappy mobile-redirecting sites break the web because of this behaviour being mixed with stateless conversation. Ow! :evil:

At first, this comic made my day because that's exactly what I thought about as well (stateless HTTP connections). Then I realized that the problem has nothing to do with state or sessions, and could be solved by writing any redirect script that doesn't suck.

Damn it, Randy is trolling us with fake quasi-technology again. Sort of like how he trolled all the species classification/nomenclature people last week. (Heh. That was good.)

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:27 am UTC

phlip wrote:
sportsracer48 wrote:Um, the link to m.xkcd.com? Yeah, it just goes back to the homepage. Sorry.

Perhaps, but at least it doesn't try to detect you're on a mobile and redirect you to the homepage of m.xkcd.com... that would just be annoying, pointless, and pointlessly annoying.

In fairness, that link is an *announcement* it has nothing to do with the page you are on and is site-wide. It directs to the logical place for a global announcement to, since it is talking about the mobile site in general. We assume if you want the mobile version you'll go there. We'll see if that is a reasonable assumption.

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 am UTC

Server: "Hey, Mobile!"
Browser: "What?"
Server: "Knife."

tech42er

Postby tech42er » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
phlip wrote:
sportsracer48 wrote:Um, the link to m.xkcd.com? Yeah, it just goes back to the homepage. Sorry.

Perhaps, but at least it doesn't try to detect you're on a mobile and redirect you to the homepage of m.xkcd.com... that would just be annoying, pointless, and pointlessly annoying.

Not as annoying as an e-mail with a signature that says "This e-mail was sent from my smart phone!"

I disagree. Emails composed on smartphones are often very brief and sometimes contain misspellings and improper grammar. They tend to be less polished and formal than messages composed on laptops or desktops. The signature lets recipients know that the email was typed on a smartphone and therefore gives them an excuse for being less professional than usual. At least that's the theory (which seems to be true in many corporate environments).

Warlord Fred

Postby Warlord Fred » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Possibly this behaviour doesn't get any better on other populated planets:
Douglas Adams wrote:Hi there. This is Eddie, your shipboard computer, and I'm feeling just great, guys, and I know I'm just going to get a bundle of kicks out of any program you care to run through me.

It seems you and I are the only people who thought of Eddie when reading that comic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”