0870: "Advertising"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Re: 0870: "Advertising"

Postby Ren » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 am UTC

Quick departure before y'all return to regularly scheduled debate: I was really hoping Randy'd've changed the file name to something vastly more interesting for all those people who checked after reading the note. mathematically_annoying.png? Anticlimax.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Spiky

3rd panel discussion

Postby Spiky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 am UTC

All this talk about which axis should point up, nobody mentions that the data line can not touch either axis. I guess that's a large assumption that the axes are 0, but what else could they be in such a graph?

Yes, I had to join just to post this. Seems...off, compared to other charts and graphs in xkcd.

herbys

Postby herbys » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am UTC

Kaelin wrote:If there is anything more annoying in advertising than mathematically misleading statements, it is when advertising makes up cutesy fake math-ish/science-ish sounding terms to describe their product/service, or applying math/science terms to something they cannot be applied to. Not only is it awful, but there is absolutely no legal accountability for any claims made, no matter how outrageous they are.

I particularly hate when they make "friendlier" words for technical terms. For example, someone in Spanush Speaking Latin America decided that the "acid" part in "amino acid" sounded bad, so they shortened it "amino", which means exactly nothing. Not that the original statement meant anything anyway, since selling you something because it has amino acids makes as much sense as selling you something because it has molecules.
And my favorite one is when they sell you calories. If their product has few of them, they are calories. If it has tons, it's energy. In this case, it is technically accurate, but still used to irritate me to no end.
Now I just decided to go with the "it is morally wrong to let stupid people to keep their money" mantra, so I'm startign to buy into this marketing thing. Not that I think marketing people are anything but...

herbys

Postby herbys » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:07 am UTC

edoules wrote:
Ghona wrote:It certainly is possible to be more vague than "save up to 15% or more".

You could say "there exist points that fit into the set of allowable savings", for instance.

Or saying "the set of possible savings includes 15%" would give you slightly less information (you would not know whether or not 15% was a member of the set of points that could serve as the upper or lower bound for savings)

Also, "savings" is restricted to positive numbers, so the graph needs to be clipped at zero.

Actually, your first example seems a lot more precise than the one in the comic (but not your second example) -- it guarantees that there exists a single value for which all savings are mapped; the comic makes no such guarantee -- if anything, your statement identifies that [bold]all[bold] savings are equal (?)

... Also -- why are the values in the number line in the first pane one hundred times larger than they should be? :P

I have a better one: "You could get real AND imaginary savings". There you have it: ∞+∞i vagueness.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am UTC

zAlbee wrote:Did you know: SirMustapha has a debilitating condition. He has never laughed in his life. Please donate generously. One cockslap can feed a raging SirMustapha for 2 weeks. Call now.

I called and pledged for six weeks worth.

Call in the next ten minutes and I'll match any donation.

Fume Troll

Postby Fume Troll » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

WhiteDragon wrote:
Fume Troll wrote:Since we all became terrified of the flu, my employer has started placing packs of sanitising wipes in all public spaces. The blurb on the one they use must be one of the most qualified statement's I've ever read; it claims that it "kills 99.99% of most common germs that may make you sick". In other words "most of most of most of most of most germs."

All of which also ignores the fact that we're fighting viruses, not germs...

I think viruses are a subclass of germs... From Wikipedia:
A pathogen, (from Greek: πάθος pathos "suffering, passion", and γἰγνομαι (γεν-) gignomai (gen-) "I give birth to") an infectious agent, or more commonly germ, is a biological agent such as a virus, bacteria, prion, or fungus that causes disease to its host.

Fair point, perhaps in common usage viruses are considered to be germs. However there seems to be some debate: Also from Wikipedia Some microbiologists also include viruses, but others consider these as non-living

That aside, I looked at the active ingredient and it does appear to be effective against some viruses.

Either way, it's a highly qualified statement! :)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Wonder Mark is incredibly related to XKCD today.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

tialaramex

Postby tialaramex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:Incorrect. As I stated ....

No. The text addresses a personal 'me' and not your conveniently vague "the populace". Everything you've written is gibberish because you did not read. Advertisements indeed can and sometimes do tell you they genuinely want "give [you] something for nothing". Basically you (and our esteemed host) are making an economics version of the mistake where creationists try to apply the laws of thermodynamics to the Earth as if it were a closed system. An individual participant in the economy can "get something for nothing" and frequently does even in theories which assume the system as a whole is closed.

One further problem you' seem to be having is that you're in a world full of people who behave irrationally but you're trying to find rational explanations for everything they do. This means you're either spectacularly unobservant or so wedded to an ideology that you're unable to accept contradicting stimulus.

if that company is still in business now, you can bet that they've made more money from that promotion than they spent on it.

Fortunately I don't take gambling advice from people with so weak a grasp on reality. The bank guessed wrongly and lost money on that promotion and had to modify subsequent promotions to make "freeloading" as this is called, less time effective so as to discourage it. But they're still in business. Losing a bunch of money on a failed promotion doesn't put a bank out of business in the real world, only in ridiculous Randian fantasies.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

tialaramex wrote:No. The text addresses a personal 'me' and not your conveniently vague "the populace". Everything you've written is gibberish because you did not read. Advertisements indeed can and sometimes do tell you they genuinely want "give [you] something for nothing". Basically you (and our esteemed host) are making an economics version of the mistake where creationists try to apply the laws of thermodynamics to the Earth as if it were a closed system. An individual participant in the economy can "get something for nothing" and frequently does even in theories which assume the system as a whole is closed.

One further problem you' seem to be having is that you're in a world full of people who behave irrationally but you're trying to find rational explanations for everything they do. This means you're either spectacularly unobservant or so wedded to an ideology that you're unable to accept contradicting stimulus.

Which text addresses a personal "me"? The comic itself expresses the idea that "If someone had paid $X to have the word "FREE" typeset for you and N other people to read..."

"You and N other people" is, in fact, a generalised way of saying "the populace". Whether or not you can comprehend that is not for me to say, as I won't resort to the types of attacks you've used to try to discredit my post.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

and then there are things like this:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=pt-B ... =&aql=&oq=

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:The first panel here I agree with completely. Even without the "or more" part, simply having "up to" makes it the most annoying thing in advertising. "Entire store up to 50% off" really means that some products may or may not be discounted at a maximum of 50%, however it is possible that no items are discounted at all. 0% is less then 50%, therefor the statement would be accurate with no sale at all. The only certainty is that nothing is discounted more than 50%, which adding the "or more" to basically means they may as well not have a sign at all for all the information it provides.

Does use of "up to" not imply that at least one item is discounted 50%? 50% can't be the upper boundary if there are no items that actually form the boundary.

geminigod

Postby geminigod » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

ebyrne wrote:Shouldn't "amount you spend" be on the x-axis in the third panel since it's the independent variable? I'm a long time reader and this is what finally prompts me to create a forum account... sad.

Funny, ebryne. The 3rd frame prompted me to come to the forum for the first time ever and register as well, and I have been a fan for years now.

The 3rd frame caused me to have a dangerous flashback to my statistics class. (Fortunately no seizures or cerebral aneurisms followed.) The dangers of linear regression are made apparent here. The slope can be negative or positive, depending on which is made the "explanatory" and which the response variable. The convention is that "eXplanatory" go on the x-axis. Statistics and math show relationships well, but generally prescribe meanings poorly. On the bright side though, gives us humans some job security against the robots! :D

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:
Khorbin wrote:
ebyrne wrote:Shouldn't "amount you spend" be on the x-axis in the third panel since it's the independent variable? I'm a long time reader and this is what finally prompts me to create a forum account... sad.

Someone already answered this, but it's because economists are dumb and reverse them. It annoyed the crap out of me when I took microeconomics in college.

Please explain how it is necessarily superior to have the independent variable on the x-axis? Is this some rule that is always taught to STEM undergrads? I have never heard this (historian here) although I have taken my fair share of econ, statistics, and science courses.

EDIT;
looked up independent and dependent variables on wiki and they mention nothing of this rule.

Basically in science your independent variable is the variable that is not going to measured as an result of the experiment. So, for instance, one might set prices of widgets and them measure the number of sales one's achieves as a result. If one is recording this data in t-chart, one would probably write the prices one is planning to charge in the first column of the chart, and then the resultant sales, as they are tabulated, in the second.

We would then might plot this data in a scatterplot. It is the convention to plot the first column, the independent variable on the x-axis, that is the horizontal axis. This convention stems from the tradition to then fit the graph to a function. A function, because we do not expect a single object to be in two different places at once, cannot have two dependent values for a single independent value. By using the independent-variable-on-the-x-axis convention other conventions relating to modeling functions can be used, and certain assumptions are built into the process.

Obviously in economics the assumptions and conventions of physical experimental world do not necessarily apply.

Ehsanit

Postby Ehsanit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

All this talk about which axis should point up, nobody mentions that the data line can not touch either axis. I guess that's a large assumption that the axes are 0, but what else could they be in such a graph?

Yes, I had to join just to post this. Seems...off, compared to other charts and graphs in xkcd.

Why can't they touch the axis? Spend all your money, you have nothing left to save. Spend none of your money, you spend it all. Y and X axis intercepts respectively.
Saving could probably also go negative (by taking on a debt) but spending really has to be clipped at zero.

JamesGecko

Postby JamesGecko » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Do we know Randal's address? The alt text suggests to me that now would be a good time to bombard him with 'FREE ShipIt Ubuntu CDs!" fliers.

Ok, so I guess my sole motivation there is proving Randal wrong, not charity.

TBD

Postby TBD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Seriously, what the hell is up with XKCD recently? The comics used to be intelligent and funny, but as of now it seems Randall has become either lazy or simply out of ideas - the comics nowadays don't surpass the 'lame joke + graph/geek reference = funny' level.

- 870 "Advertising": What are you trying to say with this? Is it supposed to be funny to prove some common sense on a mathematical level? Is it irony that he's trying to do it, and that's supposed to be the joke?
- 869 "Server Attention Span": I don't get it. Category 'What is this I don't even'.
- 868 "Nolan Chart": What the hell is a Nolan Chart? I may not have a PhD in physics or math, but I'm not an uneducated person, and such obscure references don't make for a funny joke. Neither was the joke funny when I looked Nolan Charts up on Wikipedia - it seems this comic was lazilly whipped together in two minutes.
- 867 "Herpetology": Just lame. Not particularly bad, but just incredibly bland and lazy.
- 866 "Compass and Straightedge": Because stereotypes never seem to be funny, right? Right?
- 865 "Nanobots": Finally, a comic that made me laugh. Not trying to be 'intelligenter than thou', just a simple but good joke.
- 864 "Flying Cars": Ugh.
- 863 "Major in the Universe": Really? That's the joke?
- 862 "Let Go": Meh. Just meh.
- 861 "Wisdom Teeth": Hahaha hes high on painkillers get it?
- 860 "Never Do This": Well, yeah, obviously. So?
- 859 "(": No it doesn't. Again, what the hell is this lame excuse for a joke?
- 858 "Milk": Seriously, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I sure as hell don't get turned on by milk squirting out of breasts, in fact, it's pretty friggin disgusting. This comic is just wrong on so many levels.
- 857 "Archimedes": My guess is it tooks longer to upload this comic than to write it.
- 856 "Trochee Fixation": What exactly are you trying to do here? Did you browse some language-related wikipedia article and decided to write a comic about it? Yeah, this pretty much seems like 'Wikipedia: The Comic' with a sadistic punchline taken straight from Cyanide & Happiness to actually include a joke.

So, that's 15 recent comics, and only one which I've actually found funny... Really, Randall, if you're running out of ideas, please just take a break from it and come back when you've actually inspiration to make the comics again. This comic used to be so good and intelligent, please don't let that reputation go to the drain by continuing this way.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Ren wrote:Quick departure before y'all return to regularly scheduled debate: I was really hoping Randy'd've changed the file name to something vastly more interesting for all those people who checked after reading the note. mathematically_annoying.png? Anticlimax.

I found it amusing already that Randall changed the file name. With folks here going "Hahaha LOL Randall named the file advertising ON PURPOSE so that AdBlock would block it LOL he's genious (sic)", seeing Randall himself go ahead and prove them all wrong is priceless, and provides proof that I do laugh, and quite often indeed.

sportsracer48

Postby sportsracer48 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 am UTC

I am a happy user of adblock, but, in a very, very amazing bout of foresight, decided to whitelist xkcd, in case Randall needed some extra money, so when people started to complain, I got that warm, better than them feeling. Also, I made my xkcd parsing scrip (which is how I got the "Archimedes" topic up before anyone else) about a week before "(" released. I think I actually built that script to withstand the apocalypse, because not even the title tex of "(" could break it. This take "GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL" to a whole new level. I think I might actually be Randall, and have been unconsciously uploading xkcd comics since before I knew they existed. Weird.

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 am UTC

TBD wrote:Seriously, what the hell is up with XKCD recently? The comics used to be intelligent and funny, but as of now it seems Randall has become either lazy or simply out of ideas - the comics nowadays don't surpass the 'lame joke + graph/geek reference = funny' level.

Looks like you're having trouble fitting in. As XKCD gets more popular, more people realize that it's not their type of humor. It fills a niche; it doesn't aim to please everybody who stumbles on it. I'm sorry your first post was a rant, and I don't mean any disrespect.

drewster1829

Postby drewster1829 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:21 am UTC

squall_line wrote:
tialaramex wrote:The text annotation definitely doesn't work for non-commercial entities. I have received numerous advertisements from the government in which they

• Reminded me of free services they provide which I might want to make use of
• Explained new benefits available to some people (not me, I'm too rich) which would result in receiving actual money from the government
• Provided genuinely free vouchers to participate in activities which would encourage a positive health outcome (e.g. swimming, quit-smoking classes)

Incorrect. As I stated to jalohones earlier, the funding that those programs receive keeps them active and pays the salaries of those involved. The non-commercial entities advertising those services to you (which are not free, they are paid for by taxes collected from the populace, assuming they're not part of a spending deficit) do, in fact, receive a material and monetary benefit from your taking part in those services. If people stopped using smoking-cessation programs, the funding would be directed to other services and programs, and the programs would dry up.

Squall line, I totally agree...if no one used the free services tialaramex mentioned, funding for them would vanish, and those providing the services would have to find something else to do. The third example, which even is stated as improving the health of citizens, would reduce health care costs to whomever pays it (which is probably the government for people poor enough to take advantage of the services).

The only thing I'd clarify is the cost...even if it IS part of a spending deficit, the services are still paid for...the value comes by decreasing the value of currency in circulation, since the supply of money increases with no increase in the goods and services available for purchase with it, so holders of the currency pay for it instead of taxpayers.

This almost gets into the philosophical aspects of ethics...is there a such thing as a truly selfless act? In my opinion, no because there is ALWAYS some actual or perceived benefit to the individual or organization, even if it's the good feeling of helping others. That's still a benefit. No one will ever do anything which provides no benefit in some way to themselves (it may not provide a positive net benefit, obviously, but there is a benefit somewhere, whether real or perceived).

As for panel 3, as has been pointed out earlier, this is a budget constraint line. He's using the economics definition of saving as not spending. I think on the first page, someone mentioned that it should be cut off because savings can't be negative. By the above definition, it sure can...it's called borrowing money, and thus spending more money than the individual's budget. This is where the term "negative savings rate" comes from, I'm pretty sure. This is the definition I use, and it always annoyed me that advertisers using the word in a different way.

Panel two is something that I've thought about, too...ANYTIME I hear an ad about free anything, I'm skeptical, for the obvious reason (as this comic pointed out) that the advertising isn't free. Someone has and will pay for whatever it is being given away (the service and/or good ALSO isn't free, obviously, to everyone), and chances are that someone is the person listening to the ad, or else there would be no point in advertising.
"Distrust your judgment the moment you can discern the shadow of a personal motive in it."
-- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

BlackVegetable

Postby BlackVegetable » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Khorbin wrote:

Someone already answered this, but it's because economists are dumb and reverse them. It annoyed the crap out of me when I took microeconomics in college.

Alfred Marshall inverted his axis for whatever reason. Since he was really the first person to use diagrams for economic explanations, every economist has been doing it since. Strange, no?

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 am UTC

drewster1829 wrote:This almost gets into the philosophical aspects of ethics...is there a such thing as a truly selfless act? In my opinion, no because there is ALWAYS some actual or perceived benefit to the individual or organization, even if it's the good feeling of helping others. That's still a benefit. No one will ever do anything which provides no benefit in some way to themselves (it may not provide a positive net benefit, obviously, but there is a benefit somewhere, whether real or perceived).
If you people Mises, every action's taken with the intent of exchanging a given state of affairs with a more favorable one(thus even the utterly insane are still rational - they're just working with faulty logic).
tehlaser wrote:You haven't talked to many supreme minarchy-hardon libertarians at length, have you?

A common libertarian position is that independent certification authorities (like, say, Consumer Reports, or the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval or whatnot) are sufficient. This is supposed to hold even when the information they provide is non-free (you either have to pay for a subscription or the marketer has to pay and pass the cost on to you) and non-accurate (so long as it's "accurate enough" to avoid damaging the reputation of the certifier).
I've never seen Consumer Reports or the BBB advanced as reasons not to worry about fraud. What I have seen is fraud translated to a special case of theft due to the implicit terms under which party A transferred his geld to party B being violated(and thus the title transfer was void from the beginning). Of course, I got this explanation from supreme anarchist-hardon libertarians, so it might not apply to the folks you're thinking of.
Personally, I believe we have ample evidence that human behavior is too shortsighted for these sorts of solutions. The short-term win of selling certifications tends to beat the long-term win of maintaining a good reputation, even if it shouldn't. This sort of behavior wrecks all sorts of economic predictions that don't seem to hold in the real world.
You're failing to account for time preference, which is especially egregious considering people with the high time preferences you assume rarely become entrepreneurs in the first place and cases where they get placed in control generally represent a failure in the hiring process. Besides, if everybody was that blindly shortsighted, loans wouldn't exist(in fact, the moneylenders of old were merchants who were looking for a way to invest their excess profits). Keeping a good reputation's simply another investment.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

doodle

Postby doodle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

Up to 15% discount or more is in generic English a nonsense.

But it does actually have a specific meaning, at least in the UK. The quoted reduction (at least) must apply to at least 10% of the range of products on offer at the commencement of the sale. So while there might be one or two items at a silly large discount, and others that aren't discounted at all, you know there is a decent quantity of goods with the quoted figure.

If you think about it that makes sense. If you had a single item at 90% off, but everything else in the sale was 10% off, it would be misleading to say 'up to 90% off' even if technically correct.

PatrThom

Postby PatrThom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:
bitwiseshiftleft wrote:It turns out that we can measure slowness. There's even a unit for it, known as the second. If one thing is twice as slow as another, then it takes twice as many seconds to complete.

I don't think he was completely serious, but your thoughts are interesting nevertheless.

Actually, I was being serious (though not deathly so). When you say that something (B) is some magnitude larger than something else (A), you are referencing three things: a commonly understood base point (which would be 0), the size of the first thing, and the size of the second thing. This lets us quantitatively assess how much farther from the origin B is on the number line than A. There is no problem with saying that A is smaller than B, because we are again referencing those three points, and saying that A falls between B and the origin.

The trouble with saying that A is some order of magnitude smaller than B is that there is no upper bound from which to derive the delta and establish one unit of smallness. When you say "A is 3x smaller/bigger than B," you are not actually comparing A to B, you are comparing the delta between A and B to something else. If you only establish two data points, you can only derive one delta, and therefore you have nothing else to compare that delta to. Saying something is "twice as slow" is misleading, because you are still defining a time t as the number of seconds from 0 to t, and then doubling it (effectively saying "takes 2x the number of seconds"). You can use units (seconds, inches, cubic centimeters) to compare two known quantities, but until you establish a third point of reference, you will have only one delta to work with (B - A).

For the higher mathematic types out there, it's like trying to take dy without referencing dx.

--Patrick
(I apologize if I am not clear in the above, I was probably interrupted a dozen or so times while trying to compose it, and coherence may have suffered)

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:51 pm UTC

dracolytch wrote:Dear advertisers:
Stop yelling at me.

Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

stands2reason

Postby stands2reason » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 am UTC

WRT#1: It's not completely vague. At least now you know the discount rate is a real number.

DavidRoss

Yes, XKCD is allowed to be obscure sometimes

Postby DavidRoss » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:05 am UTC

TBD wrote:Seriously, what the hell is up with XKCD recently?...such obscure references don't make for a funny joke.

Part of the nature of XKCD is that sometimes you have to look up an obscure reference. Google trends tend to spike when he makes an obscure reference. Sometimes we are surprised that something we know from work or our subgroups appears, but other times it is hands-down and obscure reference and I go to Wikipedia and learn a little more trivia before getting the joke.

Not all of them have to be great and it is still worth visiting, IMHO.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am UTC

nealh wrote:1.Capitalism is a great system assuming that the buyer is rational and informed.
2.Advertising reduces information or muddles buyers.
->Therefore Capitalist societies should ban advertising (too bad most such societies are also democracies with free speech).
IMO.
Don't get me started on "the buyer is rational".

Nothing you have said requires that buyers be irrational and the problems you see with some existing capitalist societies exist even when the buyers are rational. All that is really needed to get rational buyers to buy something that rationally they should not buy is to create an information imbalance, which is easy to do where there are more resources available to create the "buy this and it will make you happy" messages than there are for the "before you heard this ad, you were perfectly happy without this product and can do without it" messages. Consequently, the buy messages overwhelm the don't-buy messages and the entirely rational person mis-estimates the costs-benefits.

There are situations where the buyer and the seller both have sufficient resources to neutrally evaluate a transaction - such as a large company selling things that only large companies buy. In such cases, the advertising is not as important, but when the buyer does not have the resources to evaluate, the advertising is greater. As an example, how often do you buy an mattress? How many hours can you devote to becoming an expert purchaser for a single purchase? (Because of the years between purchases, one cannot easily preserve that expertise for use in subsequent purchases.) How many hours can the mattress advertiser devote to developing their message? That imbalance will cause even a rational buyer to buy a product that a fully informed buyer wouldn't.

dcollins

Postby dcollins » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 am UTC

phlip wrote:dcollins: You're right. For the comic to be accurate, you need to implicitly restrict the scope to commercial advertising (to cover your points 1 and 2), and change it to "their expected value for the money they will gain by you seeing it (most likely from you, possibly indirectly) is $x/(N+1)" (to cover point 3).

Actually, I'd claim that the original is still OK on your point 3... it doesn't say directly. If, say, a TV station spends $x advertising that they are broadcasting for free, to you and N other people, and their show is ad-supported, then they're expecting some percentage of those N+1 people to become extra viewers, some percentage of which will buy stuff from the ads in the show, which will flow through into an increase in ad revenue for the station of at least $x. Which is, indirectly, money flowing from the viewers to the station. Same with other ad-supported things.

Right, that's what I was also thinking for the first point.

I also thought of your second point early on, and a counterexample to that -- Say the third party advertisers hope for a certain return, but the media source advertising its own free-to-use media knows that's ridiculous. Then the initial media-advertiser is happy to sell advertising space to the (witless) 3rd parties, and still happy to advertise their "free" media, while still not expecting any significant income from the viewer (to anyone). In short: Once the advertising is sold up front, the media company doesn't really give a damn if money thereafter flows "from you to them".

As one example, this is broadly how Yahoo worked in their early dot-com-bubble days -- See Paul Graham's essay "What Happened to Yahoo?" (section "Money": http://www.paulgraham.com/yahoo.html).

The reason Yahoo didn't care about a technique that extracted the full value of traffic was that advertisers were already overpaying for it. If they merely extracted the actual value, they'd have made less.

dcollins

Postby dcollins » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:13 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:1.) Churches want tithes, politicians want votes and monetary contributions to re-election campaigns.
2.) I'm not sure government counts, though it can be argued that a government wants tax income. Charitable organizations generally include some message about donation on such fliers,
3.) The advertisers want you to buy their product, moving your money to them. Then the advertiser uses your money to buy more advertising. e.g. -- on broadcast television programs, conventional radio, Gmail, social networking sites, etc.

I would not think that these hold in all or even most (especially #1-2) such cases.

skanet

Postby skanet » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Shouldn't it be "x/(n-1)"? Otherwise the money given to the advertisers is less than the money they spend.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

skanet wrote:Shouldn't it be "x/(n-1)"? Otherwise the money given to the advertisers is less than the money they spend.
phlip wrote:
bridgeyman wrote:Is that middle panel correct? Shouldn't the expected value be x/(N-1) instead of x/(N+1)? Then, when you multiply it by N you get a number that is bigger than x. Maybe my brain just isn't working though. It is late.

The "+1" is because the text says "you and N other people", ie N+1 people total. So they've paid $x/(N+1) per person on average, so they're expecting to get at least that much back per person on average.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

torgos

Postby torgos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

BlackVegetable wrote:Alfred Marshall inverted his axis for whatever reason. Since he was really the first person to use diagrams for economic explanations, every economist has been doing it since. Strange, no?

IIRC, Marshall initially inverted his axis that way because in a Cournot oligopoly model, firms choose quantity so that the market price is some amount; they don't see price, and then choose how much to supply.
The secret ingredient is...love!? Who's been screwing with this thing?

Arariel

Postby Arariel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

Ghona wrote:It certainly is possible to be more vague than "save up to 15% or more".

You could say "there exist points that fit into the set of allowable savings", for instance.

The amount of real numbers not equal to .15 has the same cardinality of the amount of real numbers. So both are equally vague, since the same amount of possibilities exist for either.

theepicsnail

Postby theepicsnail » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet (I didn't read all the posts.) But it bothers me when I hear "A fraction of the cost." 4/5ths sure, 99/100ths not as good of a deal, 100/13 is still a fraction, what about 1/1. It's just a "myPrice/theirPrice exists." The only thing that you can conclude is the original price wasn't 0.
1111111+/111111+++++111111+++++*11111111+++++++11111111+++++++1111+++**++/1+/1111+++1111+++*1-+/1111111+++++++/111+++

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

theepicsnail wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned yet (I didn't read all the posts.) But it bothers me when I hear "A fraction of the cost." 4/5ths sure, 99/100ths not as good of a deal, 100/13 is still a fraction, what about 1/1. It's just a "myPrice/theirPrice exists." The only thing that you can conclude is the original price wasn't 0.

OTOH, if it wasn't a proper fraction, the people who noticed would gripe.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

dcollins

Postby dcollins » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

And I'll also add in a separate advertising mathematical aggravation:

The diet product Slim Xtreme advertised itself as "Lose up to 20 POUNDS in Just 4 weeks!" Okay, so of course we all know that's pretty meaningless: anywhere from a negative number up to 20 pounds. How about the average or something? When I saw a poster for it once, it definitely gave the flavor of someone having seen a "confidence interval" report, like mu~15 (95% CI: 10 to 20), and then used "up to 20" in the ad copy, totally mis-interpreting the C.I. (of course).

But maybe it's just as likely the whole thing was totally made-up bullshit. I can't find any documentation online for any of their claims. And when they came out with a follow-up product, Slim Xtreme Gold, the claim was, "Lose up to 25 Pounds in Just 4 Weeks!" Wow, how convenient, a nice round +5 pound advantage over the prior product.

Of course, all this stuff was recalled and stopped shipping in 2009, but what the hey.

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Xtreme-Supplement-Slimming-capsules/dp/B002A3FA46
http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Xtreme-GOLD-Capsules-Cleanse/dp/B003PDRCYQ

Shishire

Postby Shishire » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"up+to"+%2B"or+more"

Turns out it's a pretty common, if quite misleading advertising scheme.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Why the do I need 5+ different applications to play the wide variety of videos online?
If only there were a more elegant solution ...

Brought to you by the number five.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Coming up in 2014.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”