0879: "Lamp"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SirMustapha

Re: 0879: "Lamp"

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Dorp wrote:It's alright, not everyone can appreciate the finer comedic subtleties of semen shooting out the spout of a oil lamp. Or, er, write a essay on it, as someone up yonder appears to have done? Christ y'all are a weird bunch.

[sycophantic]
"Weird bunch"? No, sir, it seems like it's you who is just another sheeple here! It is society that doesn't understand the geeks, and just can't fathom why Computer Science and Physics are much better and more important than those "liberal arts" like philosophy, history and sociology -- because it's much more important to understand computers than to understand people, you know! And it is society that refuses to understand that an oil lamp ejaculating is hilarious and highly intellectual, while criticising a webcomic is somehow absurd and horrifying. Society rejects the idea that lack of social skills is a virtue, and they don't see that if you can't properly communicate with people, it's because you're way too superior and unworthy of their attention. You have to be murdered.
[/sycophantic]

Kalos wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Ehh, I think that already happened at least since comic 631.

I would be inclined to agree with you, except that our esteemed author did a Q&A type thing (I think during his book launch) where he mentioned being dismayed at a lot of people not getting 631, and I don't think the community ever came to a consensus as to what the hell 631's joke even was.

Ah, yes, I remember that. The main thing is, people may have not got the actual joke (and I have the feeling that someone will try to convince me that ONE person getting it right away means anything), but most people realised that, somehow, the joke had to do with displaying a graphic close-up drawing of a female breast and a vagina (without having anything remotely similar to a "NSFW" warning before), which is about as removed as it can be from the overall idea of a comic that has, at worst, displayed crude stick figure graphics, or a huge "FUCK. THIS. SHIT." written in bold capital letters.

I think, in that point, some people noticed that being "non-highbrow" and being "grossly unsubtle" are different things.

ALSO:

Colin OOOD wrote:It is staffed by adults, and it's Thor turn now to decide what that means.

Wilhelm

Postby Wilhelm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 am UTC

So many people finding this gross...

I think the crude humor is a bit refreshing for xkcd, us geeks need a little shock every once in a while.
Where I sell a limited range of unofficial merchandise:

http://www.cafepress.com/from_the_internet

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Funnier than the last several. Good enough for me.

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 am UTC

haha the comic is about learning that others also have needs. So ,even if you weren't trolling and actually did dislike the strip, my comment still stands ( Why must the universe cater to YOU? )

Paulmichael

Postby Paulmichael » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 am UTC

I first read the title and was hoping for Linux Apache MySQL PHP, but alas...LOL

Edit: found some more! Oh joy.
Linux.
Windows.
Mac.

Captain Chaos

Postby Captain Chaos » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 am UTC

So what exactly is this "mod madness" thing I see people talking about, that's replacing letters and words?

Is it supposed to be funny?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 am UTC

For certain values of funny. It is, in essence, a chance for the mods to have a bit of fun once a year. You have people from 18 to 50 who have to bite down their more whimsical or vicious impulses for eleven months of the year, why begrudge them a bit of fun occasionally?

rcox1, don't worry about SirMustapha, and I agree with your explanation, it was neither overly long nor needlessly wordy.
Last edited by Red Hal on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:49 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:rcox1, don't worry about SirMustapha. I agree with y'all's explanation, it was neither overly long nor needlessly wordy.

What do you mean, don't worry about me? I don't know if you noticed, but "largely bullshit", "needlessly wordy" and "ridiculously verbose" were descriptions not uttered by me.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

I know I'm late to the party, but I think the sound effect should have been "spurt" instead
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

I wish I weren't so stupid

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Red Hal wrote:rcox1, don't worry about SirMustapha. I agree with y'all's explanation, it was neither overly long nor needlessly wordy.

What do you mean, don't worry about me? I don't know if you noticed, but "largely bullshit", "needlessly wordy" and "ridiculously verbose" were descriptions not uttered by me.
You are absolutely correct, I have amended my post accordingly.
Last edited by Red Hal on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
rcox1 wrote:Some stuff.

Either you are kidding, or you are Exhibit A of why xkcd haters tend to be so passionate.

SirMustapha, Poster's total post less than 50, member here since November. Do the maths.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

harperska

Postby harperska » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Get out of my head, Randall!

(Am I doing this right?)

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

ImTestingSleeping wrote:This is how I would feel if I saw the Wall Street Journal put out a article about Lindsay Lohan's latest antics.

This.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

fr00t

Postby fr00t » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

haha yeah! screw nerd humor

If you wanna be with me
baby there's a price you pay
I'm a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub me the right way

wien

Postby wien » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Huh, almost spookily similar to this: http://start.no/m/?m=20090228 . Obviously blatant plagiarism without sign of remorse. Or, you know, a coincidence.

Also rather freaky was that when I went to find a link to that strip i pressed the "random" button ("tilfeldig") once and the very first strip to appear was exactly the one I was looking for. If only Google was that good.

Also, hello!

The Origamist

Postby The Origamist » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

jonas wrote:
bundat wrote:
Spoiler:
0=eighty bajillion 1=half-two 2=four 3=five 4=six 5=seven 6=eight 7=nine 8=two 9=three 10=double-five
Fr1day=the day on which you gotta get down
br3ak=POWERSLIDE
w0w=EQ2
Randa11=Mewtwo
L0L = ¡This cheese is burning me! (yeah, old school)
sh0uld=could
engl1sh=Galactic Basic
thr3ad = powwow
the f0rum=Pallet anthill
hamm3r=Blastoise
imp0rtant = Belgiuming VITAL

^ Can anyone find more?

Spoiler:
scienc3 => séance

Spoiler:
th3re => Thor
s before a consonant => f (juft, poft, etc.)
y0ur => y'all's
y0u're => y'all're
waz => were
m4th => spelling
3ffect => infect
phyzics => naturall Philosophie
close parenthesis => (
3dit => PARDON MY PREVIOUS OMISSION
This signature intentionally left empty.

jeanni

Postby jeanni » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

as a Jeanni... this Jeanni (genie) is officially DOA; I think we all are.

MadKingSoupII

Postby MadKingSoupII » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

Agree with all those who said this is the first in a while to actually make them laugh.*
No thinking, which is nice for a change, just dumb i-wish-i'd-thought-of-it college humour.

* By which I mean that it made me laugh, and was the first in a while to do so. Writing is hard.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:It were neither overly long nor needlessly wordy.

You majored in sciences, didn't you?
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:
Red Hal wrote:It were neither overly long nor needlessly wordy.

You majored in sciences, didn't you?
What are you, some sort of hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobe?

Yes, BTW.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:What are you, some sort o' hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobe?

Yes, BTW.

Just a guy whose major required extensive writing and whose teachers would have blasted him for needlessly obfuscating verbosity. :wink:
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Grog

Postby Grog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

More than anything.....why "splort" ? No I mean really........."splort"? What kind of sound is splort? Is some kind of new verb maybe, to splort off? buahaahah
nice comic though, refreshing.

Drathon

Postby Drathon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

been watching the comic for a while now, since it was linked to from the "Other" stick figure comic I read ( Order of the stick )
and I have to say Ive busted several guts laughing my @&& off.
I have to say that seeing this comic in 3d was disturbing. the comic is funny. but yet. in 3d? :P yuk.

have a nice day.

TepidCoder

Postby TepidCoder » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Is it just me or did anyone else feel disappointed or unfulfilled with this comic. I feel like some witty caption or Alt text should have been used.

silkox

Postby silkox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 am UTC

So, in 881/Probablility, we have the aftermath of wishing for something, and not getting one's wish. This comic has exactly the same message.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 am UTC

TepidCoder wrote:Is it just me or did anyone else feel disappointed or unfulfilled with this comic.

That's what she said.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:A bunch of crap

You dont like it in here, WE GET IT, now go ahead and remove yourself from the virtual location that displeases you.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Daggoth wrote:You dont like it in here

I dispute that information. If someone sounds displeased here, it's not me.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Came to see if SirMustapha was bitching. Was not disappointed.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:
Catbertthegreat wrote:I thought that rubbing a lamp releases a Genie that sounds like Robin Williams? I don't know what to think anymore...

You were half right.

We don't get audio with the comic, though, so you could be entirely correct...

Remember, given the Disney multiverse, that the lamp you're holding contains a genie that doesn't sound like Robin Williams, because that genie is now sans lamp (apologies to all the single men** of the world who haven't seen Disneys "Aladdin"). The actual "lamp" you're rubbing sounds like Jafar, voiced by lesser known American actor Jonathan Freeman. So while you aren't molesting Robin Williams, you are giving pleasure to Jafar. Shame on you!

** = Single men are the only kind of human beings who have the slightest chance of not seeing Disneys "Aladdin". Single women and married people are given a box of Disney movies by their mothers, hint-hint, "where are my grandchildren?". Couples with children come home from the hospital with their first child and find their video collection has magically transformed into nothing but Disney movies.

fr00t wrote:haha yeah! screw nerd humor

If you wanna be with me
baby there's a price you pay
I'm a genie in a bottle
You gotta rub me the right way

And since the singer in that song is a woman, thanks for making the comic even squickier than before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”