0880: "Headache"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CorruptUser

0880: "Headache"

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 am UTC

(thanks Philip for image)

Alt Text: I'm only willing to visit placid lakes, salt flats, and painting exhibits until the world's 3D technology improves.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.

tchebb

Re: 0880: Headache

Postby tchebb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 am UTC

Every single comic is now 3D...

Edit: title-text: "I'm only willing to visit placid lakes, salt flats, and painting exhibits until the world's 3D technology improves."
Last edited by tchebb on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Re: 0880: Headache

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 am UTC

I heartily approve. Now I'm checking out what some of the archives look like. Height and depth are... interesting.

[edit] Yes, no alt-text. On any comic.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KShrike

Re: 0880: "Headache"

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 am UTC

Seems to me that Randall has got himself a 3DS.

The sentence was parsed from this: "Seems to me that Ran.dall has got himself a 3.DS"

April fools day. It's more annoying than funny.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

zugy

Postby zugy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Looks like the 3-d conversion broke the alt-text. My question is, how the hell do we view the comics in 3-d? This smells of April Fool's to me.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am UTC

holy shit that's got more dimensions than i'm used to
picnic time!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 am UTC

zugy wrote:Looks like the 3-d conversion broke the alt-text. My question is, how the hell do we view the comics in 3-d? This smells of April Fool's to me.
Smells of April Fools? You mean you weren't ready and waiting to see what this years prank would be before even starting loading the page?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 am UTC

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH my brain hurts. Try clicking 'random' and trying to read each strip while waving mouse around... do this for 15 minutes... at... OOH. 5.55am, apparently!
Anyway, I don't think my eyes are gonna work tomorrow.
Rawr

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Here's a screenshot... I couldn't find any evidence of alt text in the source code, and this comic never hit the RSS or JSON feeds.
Attachments
headache.png
headache.png (48.45 KiB) Viewed 25572 times

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:58 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
zugy wrote:Looks like the 3-d conversion broke the alt-text. My question is, how the hell do we view the comics in 3-d? This smells of April Fool's to me.
Smells of April Fools? You mean you weren't ready and waiting to see what this years prank might be before even starting loading the page?

You are both wrong. He didn't include alt-text. Check the HTML source.

edit: ninja'd
e.dit: nin'ja'd
STOP BEING A DICK, MEW>TWO RAN>DAL!!!
edit: Mew/Tw/o
Last edited by KShrike on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

zugy

Postby zugy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Smells of April Fools? You mean you weren't ready and waiting to see what this years prank might be before even starting loading the page?

PARDON MY PREVIOUS OMISSION: ginger'd

Check the other comics, the alt text isn't in the source there either.

Ok so I apparently can't type there properly as the forum isn't letting me. Hooray for April Fool's! Also, I didn't notice what day it was until I didn't see the alt text, which made me check the date. I've been way too busy lately lol.
Last edited by zugy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Covane

Postby Covane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am UTC

GOOMHR

The real alt-text is not text but him tricking everyone who makes themselves dizzy moving the image, trying to get the alt-text to show up.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

PARDON MY PREVIOUS OMISSION: ginger'd
e.dit: nin'ja'd
STOP BEING A DICK, MEW>three RAN>DAL!!!
PARDON MY PREVIOUS OMISSION: Mew/Tw/o

Ok, I seriously hate april fools day....

PhilipXV

Postby PhilipXV » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:01 am UTC

The Alt Text is missing on all of the other comics too. In Firefox right click then select "properties".

All comics are missing Alt Text.

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Is something up with the posting tonight? I'm having a hard time following what people are talking about...

zugy

Postby zugy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 am UTC

The point of April Fool's is to make people look like a n idiot. With this latest ploy, I think Rand all beat everyone here 0.o

yono1986

Postby yono1986 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 am UTC

I miss my alt-texts. They have the power to elevate an otherwise mediocre comic to profound heights. Also, the whole 3-D rendering gives me a headache.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 am UTC

PhilipXV wrote:The Alt Text is missing on all of the other comics too. In Firefox right click then select "properties".

All comics are missing Alt Text.

No wai!!!

I CAN VIEW ALL THE COMICS IN T.H.R.E.E. D.E.E

(being careful because of the parsing).

I can view the black hat guy pwn in T.H.R.E.E. D.E.E

zugy

Postby zugy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Retsam wrote:Is something up with the posting tonight? I'm having a hard time following what people are talking about...

Try making a po st with xkcd's creator's name in it once. Then pre-view it.

EDIT: I wonder how long before he modifies the regex to counter our counters.

EDIT2: Yay 3d is working for me now! Just had to force a refresh.
Last edited by zugy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 am UTC

I really hope that Randall offers a convenient way to download all the 3D versions of the comics.
wee free kings

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:I really hope that Mewtwo offers a convenient way to download all the 3D versions of the comics.

If they weren't so glitched, I'd agree with you.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 am UTC

BELGIUM, this sucks... I actually DO get headaches from 3d, so this is actually more like a traditional April Fools prank.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

ysth

Postby ysth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Certainly fooled me; I thought it said "30", like some kind of abbreviation of "activities suitable for thirtysomethings"; read the "When you think about it" and thought it not very funny. Then went to see the hovertext...
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

themanofum

Postby themanofum » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 am UTC

You might want the guy who made the 3d engine to make sure that he accounts for the viewer's y location changing as they scroll the page (or z location depending on how he organized his code.) On some of the larger comics the distortion dements the image slightly. If should be a simple addition of one more thing to the offset of the back pictures.

Also, there should be some sort of option for turning 3d on and off, as I'm sure has been suggested already.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:17 am UTC

I wish I could figure out all of the words that he changed.

TPMF

Postby TPMF » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:23 am UTC

To be perfectly honest I like viewing 2d stick figures in 3d, I find it to be an entertaining twist. However, I doubt he'll keep it considering it's April 1st.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:30 am UTC

TPMF wrote:However, I doubt he'll keep it considering it's April 1st.

The April Fool's version of the site from last year is still available, I'm sure he'll so something similar this year. Especially if he's soliciting help converting all the old comics... he wouldn't be doing going to that much effort if it was only going to be available for a single day.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

MikeStern

Postby MikeStern » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Old Comics still have their alt-text in the source, if they had a transcript. Can't display it though.

Furthermore I think it's pretty cool how that guy managed to write a program to automatically convert all comics, even when some of the old ones are kind of buggy.

The parser is crazy fun, haha. There Will be Cake.

TheDarkNerd

Postby TheDarkNerd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:34 am UTC

I suddenly feel the urge to attempt to convert a fair few comics into .mpo format, for viewing on the Nintendo surii dii essu. I wonder which ones would be best for that.

And oh hey, here's another one for those interested in what words have been changed: "the numbers don't add up here".

And a couple more found just from previewing. . .

And another. . .

. . .

pscof42

Postby pscof42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 am UTC

How I got it to be 3D was to open two browser windows (in my case one on each of my two monitors though I'm sure you could do two in one screen), and then I moved the mouse onto the left side of the right screen and then onto the right side of the left screen thereby "skewing" the image in those directions respectively. Then I crossed my eyes until the two images "lined up" as it were. Bit headache-ish but it worked.

smartalco

Postby smartalco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 am UTC

Gotta say, this 3D thing is awesome, err, awesome. Also I just figured out how to beat the word replacement Randall.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Why are people having trouble referring to Randall?
*whistles innocently*

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 am UTC

When I saw this all I said was "THAT IS AWESOME!" though, mildly less epic.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Fantastical isn't a word.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Fantastical isn't a word.

Mods are messing with my writing.

Awesome.

Edit - Write 'a w e s o m e' and it automatically says "Awesome."

e d i t - Write 'e d i t' and it says "Edit"
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

mfc

Postby mfc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 am UTC

I don't think it's cool at all -- it hasn't been tested and doesn't work on many browsers -- so the entire archive of beautiful comics is ruined, unviewable, and the words are unreadable.

They 'work' if one starts up FireFox to view them -- but who wants to sit for 9 seconds waiting for the browser to start in order to view one comic?

If Randall reads these, can we PLEASE have a 'view the original comic' option? !!!!!

XKCD ruined. End of an era; such a terrible shame, and terribly sad.

mfc

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 am UTC

mfc wrote:[...] doesn't work on many browsers [...] They 'work' if half-two starts up FireFox to view them

I just tested all the browsers I have on this machine (which is a lot of them) - it works fine in Chrome and Opera, indeed better than it does in Firefox. Safari it's functional but has graphical glitches - but that's because of bugs in Safari's image scaling algorithm, not a bug in the site. In IE it's kinda ugly and the pseudo-rotation doesn't function, but that's the only one that had troubles, that's not "many browsers". Oh, and lynx, links and w3m all failed, but that's because they're text-only browsers.

mfc wrote:End of a era

You're talking as if this is permanent... no doubt it'll be gone by tomorrow, and relegated to a side page like unixkcd, and you can have your precious 2D versions of the images back.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Fantastical isn't a word.

Yes it is.
wee free kings

Iv

Postby Iv » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 am UTC

If you want to see alt-text on the archive, just use the command line, from last year's April Fools : http://uni.xkcd.com/

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 am UTC

Gah, at first I thought I was down to my motherboard's RAM, 'cause that's the only way this box would have few enough rams to be running out enough to make image stretching while scrolling. Tool me a long while to see I was just really freaking the hell out of this 3d conversion by using that middle click scrolly thing.

Doesn't work too well on the first few comics.

Glad to know it's april 1st, will stay home friday, unplug internets, and silence walls.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”